• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Is anyone having trouble getting D3DOverrider to work with this? I used to play with it running fine, but after moving off of GFWL and throwing in the more up to date DSfix, it doesn't seem to autodetect and trigger triple buffering/vsync even if I make a custom profile for it pointing to the .exe file.

I also went and just tried turning on Vsync in the dsfix.ini and even that doesn't seem to be working. Screen tearing all over the place. :(

Edit: I'm trying to get the Darkmoon Seance Ring. I looked it up and found that it's in the Catacombs through a secret/breakable wall, inside an open coffin (watched a Youtube video that showed its location). The reason I'm trying to get this is to use it to remove a wall in Anor Londo to fight a secondary boss and acquire the Sunblade Miracle.

Anyway, I went to the Catacombs, broke through the wall and went to the open coffin...and the Darkmoon Seance Ring isn't there? I have never before been in this area, as indicated by the wall not being broken, and the other loot (A Miracle of some kind, I forgot the name) being in the same room up a ladder...what gives? Did I have to get this ring earlier in the game or else it would disappear or something? I really want to get the Sunblade Miracle, is there another way I can do this without this ring?

Parsnip

Is anyone having trouble getting D3DOverrider to work with this? I used to play with it running fine, but after moving off of GFWL and throwing in the more up to date DSfix, it doesn't seem to autodetect and trigger triple buffering/vsync even if I make a custom profile for it pointing to the .exe file.

I also went and just tried turning on Vsync in the dsfix.ini and even that doesn't seem to be working. Screen tearing all over the place. :(

Edit: I'm trying to get the Darkmoon Seance Ring. I looked it up and found that it's in the Catacombs through a secret/breakable wall, inside an open coffin (watched a Youtube video that showed its location). The reason I'm trying to get this is to use it to remove a wall in Anor Londo to fight a secondary boss and acquire the Sunblade Miracle.

Anyway, I went to the Catacombs, broke through the wall and went to the open coffin...and the Darkmoon Seance Ring isn't there? I have never before been in this area, as indicated by the wall not being broken, and the other loot (A Miracle of some kind, I forgot the name) being in the same room up a ladder...what gives? Did I have to get this ring earlier in the game or else it would disappear or something? I really want to get the Sunblade Miracle, is there another way I can do this without this ring?

For your tearing problem I recommend using dsfix' borderless fullscreen, you shouldn't need to mess with d3doverrider or vsync in that case at all.

As for darkmoon seance ring, I have never had it disappear. Dunno what to tell you.
If you just want to fight the optional boss in anor londo, you can shoot an arrow at
amazing chest ahead
and the whole anor londo will turn dark, and statue blocking the boss room will disappear as well.
I think you won't get the covenant associated with the boss this way though.

Anyone got a pick for the most frustrating part in the game?

For me it is either the
Dukes Library
or the
Catacombs

I love this game, but those two areas do nothing but annoy me. Simply because it's so hard to avoid dmg. I would say Demon Souls and DS1 are fair for the most part, but those two areas feel like they are designed just to cause you dmg.

Anyone got a pick for the most frustrating part in the game?
For me it is either the
Dukes Library
or the
Catacombs

I love this game, but those two areas do nothing but annoy me. Simply because it's so hard to avoid dmg. I would say Demon Souls and DS1 are fair for the most part, but those two areas feel like they are designed just to cause you dmg.

I agree with
catacombs becuase have there high speed and neceomers
also
blighttown you can't see the darts are time poison everywhere paths are hard to find the first time though

Card Boy

Banned
As a Melee guy what stats do i need?

I only put 14 Attument to hold 3 spells
10 faith to use at least 1 miracle spell
Left Intelligence alone as i might just go Pyromancy when i get the chance.
I put 15 Vitality for now
18 Str
19 Dex
Left resistance alone for now.
I got 20 Endurance

I was reading i should just cap Endurance of at 40 since you don't get any more stamina beyond that.

How important is Str and Dex though?

sikkinixx

As a Melee guy what stats do i need?

I only put 14 Attument to hold 3 spells
10 faith to use at least 1 miracle spell
Left Intelligence alone as i might just go Pyromancy when i get the chance.
I put 15 Vitality for now
18 Str
19 Dex
Left resistance alone for now.
I got 20 Endurance

I was reading i should just cap Endurance of at 40 since you don't get any more stamina beyond that.

How important is Str and Dex though?

Depends on what route you go down for upgrading weapons. I went heavy faith so I could use lightning miracles so I got enough strength to use the Ckaymore then never touched it again and went full into the faith stat.

So finally got around to installing this, stuck in dsfix and the mouse tweaking stuff. Maybe I should use a ps3 controller because clearly keyboard and mouse is half assed.

But ehh so far I've no clue what I'm doing and I've died a lot. Got to what I think is the second boss (another fat demon on a stone wall). Died, called it a night. Probably the usual first time experience.

2AdEPT

So finally got around to installing this, stuck in dsfix and the mouse tweaking stuff. Maybe I should use a ps3 controller because clearly keyboard and mouse is half assed.

But ehh so far I've no clue what I'm doing and I've died a lot. Got to what I think is the second boss (another fat demon on a stone wall). Died, called it a night. Probably the usual first time experience.

Although there are several people I know who love the keyboard and mouse options, my two cents is that it is much better on controller. I use the PS4 program and use the dualshock4 now (requires easy to install free software), but in the past I used a regular gamepad.

As for first time experience, yeah lots of people probabaly go in blind, but a lot also read up or watch videos as well. Try to tough out the blindness and figure stuff out yourself...it will be more rewarding that way when you finally get it. Just know that all bosses and situations have a loophole that make them easy afterall. Use your environment. With fatty on the wall he can be dealt with several ways...if you choose to fight him straight up make sure to learn his attacks, bait him to swing at you then roll behind him or leap out of range, then punish his recovery animation which is slow for your turn to attack. If that is not working for you, remember what you learned in the tutorial.

ps there is more traffic for regualr gameplay comments in the latest Dark Souls OT ...this thread is pretty thin nowadays.

Tuck

Finished Demons Souls last week for the first time. Picked up Dark Souls today, gonna start tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Tuck

Amoured Tusk is giving me more trouble than the Tauros Demon did...

Well, calling it a night. made some good progress. Game is good - basically just more Demons Souls so far, which is A-OK with me.

Tuck

I ran past the tusk. I'll come back for the bastard later.

Currently stuck on the two gargoyles - I can beat one (well, I beat the first one once), but the second just wrecks me with its nasty fire breath.

I'll keep at it. Game is fantastic so far. And bonfire placement has been fair, thankfully.

EDIT: Beat gargoyle 1 and 2. Off to the lower burgs. Wish the frame rate was better. Game is pretty though. The tone feels different than Demons Souls.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
For some reason, Dark Souls and Darks Souls 2 no longer recognize my controller after I had to get a new dongle, but it works fine in every other game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
EDIT: Beat gargoyle 1 and 2. Off to the lower burgs. Wish the frame rate was better. Game is pretty though. The tone feels different than Demons Souls.

You're on PC yeah? Make sure you're using DSFix to unlock the framerate. You can get up to 60 pretty safely (only worry is the one ladder underneath the tower that has rats in the basement is buggy if you slide down) and even if your hardware can't push high quality graphics, you can still unlock the framerate at set it to 30 so that it doesn't only fluctuate between 15 and 30.

For some reason, Dark Souls and Darks Souls 2 no longer recognize my controller after I had to get a new dongle, but it works fine in every other game.

Dark Souls will only recognize the first controller. If you have a bluetooth dongle and have connected a Wii remote to it, it recognizes that. If you've got an older dongle that is read first, it will only recognize that. Basically disable any other controller than your default controller you'll play with. It is an annoying bug.

I don't think I've lasted more than three seconds against the Chapra Demon.

That's sorta how the fight goes. You'll die during the first 3 seconds, or you'll make it past and cream him.

Tuck

You're on PC yeah? Make sure you're using DSFix to unlock the framerate. You can get up to 60 pretty safely (only worry is the one ladder underneath the tower that has rats in the basement is buggy if you slide down) and even if your hardware can't push high quality graphics, you can still unlock the framerate at set it to 30 so that it doesn't only fluctuate between 15 and 30.
PS3, unfortunately.
That's sorta how the fight goes. You'll die during the first 3 seconds, or you'll make it past and cream him.
Decided to take a break. I was getting frustrated and that makes me play worse. I'll try again in a few hours. Fuck those dogs.

EDIT: I BEAT HIM! Holy shit that was exhilarating.

EDIT 2: Beat the Gaping Dragon - really easy boss, though he did come very, very close to killing me after I got a bit cocky late into the fight. Off to Blighttown - hopefully it isn't as bad as people say =( I have the master key so I suppose I could just skip to the boss if need be, but I'd rather not.

EDIT 3: Reached the second bonfire in Blighttown. Getting to the first wasn't bad at all, frame rate issues aside. Getting to the second gave me some trouble. Should be close to the boss by now. After I beat it I should upgrade my weapon some more. My super strong Long Sword is no longer super strong :(. 4 hits to kill a blight town hollow? Thats two too many!

EDIT 4: Spider bitch Blighttown Boss #Wrekt. Felt so good beating her with just a sword and no help from summoning. Gonna head back to Firelink Shrine and proceed from there. Need a blacksmith! Should have bought those special boxes to let me repair and upgrade stuff from bonfires. But I'll correct that soon. In all, Blighttown wasn't so bad. I liked it.

Tizoc

Is putting most points into Endurance worth it? I'm planning on giving the game another go on PC/Steam, but I'm unsure on what kind of stat and build to go with.
I mostly want to go for like a melee weapon wielding character, so what's a recommended starting class?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is putting most points into Endurance worth it? I'm planning on giving the game another go on PC/Steam, but I'm unsure on what kind of stat and build to go with.
I mostly want to go for like a melee weapon wielding character, so what's a recommended starting class?

Starting class is mostly irrelevant. You can adjust yourself to be just about anything from the start. It only really determines starting gear and some minor differences in starting stats.

Endurance determines how much stamina you get, and how much weight you can equip. Stamina is required for attacking, effective blocking, and rolling so it's almost always a worthwhile upgrade.

If you want to go for a melee character, your two most common options are Dexterity or Strength. Strength for slow, huge, clobbering, powerful weapons. Dexterity for quick, DPS style weapons. Generally, for a beginner Dex is easier, but strength is also really satisfying if you can handle it.

I know it sounds crazy, but I find it best to choose deprived when selecting class because they start at the lowest level, meaning you have the most control over what their stats will be and the first few level upgrades will end up being cheaper.

Tuck

^Hmm been neglecting dexterity. Should probably level that up a bit.

Darkroot Garden was a joke. Granted I did run past some of the stone guards. Boss was super quick though. I wonder if I was meant to come here earlier when I was a lower level. Ah well, off to Darkroot Basin next!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
^Hmm been neglecting dexterity. Should probably level that up a bit.

Darkroot Garden was a joke. Granted I did run past some of the stone guards. Boss was super quick though. I wonder if I was meant to come here earlier when I was a lower level. Ah well, off to Darkroot Basin next!

Look at what weapon you're using/enjoy using. Check it's stats and you'll see that it will likely scale with either dexterity or strength (or both.) If you like using weapons that scale well with dex, level dex. If they scale well with strength, level strength. If a weapon doesn't scale with dex at all, leveling dex will have absolutely 0 benefit to it.

zsswimmer

Fuck I forgot how shitty getting to and from Blighttown is when you don't have the master key. Just beat Quelaag and trying to make my way back now to get to the fortress. Well at least the frame rate is smooth as butter, that helps a lot lol

edit: Im never gonna beat Smough & Ornstein solo (even with Solitaire) :(

Tuck

Fuck the Stray Demon. Wasted my goddamn time going back to the asylum. Couldn't beat the bastard. I wanted that damn walk-normal-in-water ring!

Stuck now in Send Forstress. Don't do enough damage to those stupid snakes, they take too long to kill.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fuck the Stray Demon. Wasted my goddamn time going back to the asylum. Couldn't beat the bastard. I wanted that damn walk-normal-in-water ring!
You can get the ring without beating the demon...

Stuck now in Send Forstress. Don't do enough damage to those stupid snakes, they take too long to kill.
What weapon are you using?

Tuck

You can get the ring without beating the demon...

WHAT?!

I thought it was the reward. God damn it. Well I guess I'll go back later. Maybe I can kill the demon with better equipment.
Probably not.
I mean, if its not necessary thats great. But I still would like to beat the bastard.

What weapon are you using?
Long Sword +7 - if I can just get to the top of the fortress I can be swimming in Large Titinate Shards and get it up to +10. Right now though, those things don't come easy.

EDIT: Made it to the end of Sen's Fortress. After the bonfire it was easy as pie. Unfortunately I died right before the bonfire from the fire bomb giant - I took great pleasure in killing him. I just have the boss to do now, but I'm gonna take a break. Lightening Spear made the area much more manageable to go through. Splurged on the merchant and upgraded a bunch of stuff.

EDIT 2: Sen's Fortress Boss was very easy. Off to Anor Londo!

EDIT 3: Anor Londo is very pretty. So far, not very hard though. Its so... open. Everything is so big. I'm in the painting world now.

zsswimmer

IDK man he seemed real easy to me passed the first death. Basically spams the same move (the explosion one), so what you do is come in unlocked combat, hit 2 times or so, and then back out when he starts plunging his weapon into the ground. He did that the entire time during the fight when I beat him

Now Im on Gravelord Nito but I dont know how Im gonna beat him, cause the skeletons are fucking with me and I hate running through the Tomb of Giants to get to him -_-

Tuck

IDK man he seemed real easy to me passed the first death. Basically spams the same move (the explosion one), so what you do is come in unlocked combat, hit 2 times or so, and then back out when he starts plunging his weapon into the ground. He did that the entire time during the fight when I beat him

Now Im on Gravelord Nito but I dont know how Im gonna beat him, cause the skeletons are fucking with me and I hate running through the Tomb of Giants to get to him -_-

I'll try what you suggest when I go back there.

Right now I'm on Ornstein and Smaugh, the bosses of Anor Londo. Brutal. Managed to kill Ornstein once but then died on the fat one. Now I can't even kill Ornstein.

zsswimmer

Oh I know they are brutal, I legitamately though I was gonna be stuck there cause I couldnt find any summons besides dumbass Solitaire. Then I levelled up to 60 and got several summon signs, so I guess its a level thing and beat them the first time I had another player with me.

With the asylum demon, make sure to stay to his rear to have him spam those attacks. If you stay behind the only other attack he might do is his fat ass butt slam. But the explosion attacks are easy to dodge like I said.

Trying to currently grind up some stats in the mini skeleton place before Gravelord Nito, hoping to find a summon or two after a gain a few levels. I dunno how to beat this guy solo.

Tuck

Oh I know they are brutal, I legitamately though I was gonna be stuck there cause I couldnt find any summons besides dumbass Solitaire. Then I levelled up to 60 and got several summon signs, so I guess its a level thing and beat them the first time I had another player with me.

With the asylum demon, make sure to stay to his rear to have him spam those attacks. If you stay behind the only other attack he might do is his fat ass butt slam. But the explosion attacks are easy to dodge like I said.

Trying to currently grind up some stats in the mini skeleton place before Gravelord Nito, hoping to find a summon or two after a gain a few levels. I dunno how to beat this guy solo.

Honestly the most frustrating thing about the battle is getting there. I keep dying on the two silver knights on the way - mainly the second one with the spear.

Picked a bad night to play. Not in the greatest mood so I was really raging at some of the more questionable deaths. Maybe tomorrow I'll beat them.
But probably not.

OK, I've ordered this and I just want to know how Dex builds work with weapon upgrades on this, because I've heard it's different than Demon's.

On Demon's Souls I used a sharp Uchigatana as my primary and a Crescent Shotel in my left hand, with a dex build, and because I'm unoriginal I wouldn't mind going with something similar to that. So what upgrades would I need to add to my Uchigatana (or similar long katana if that isn't on this game) if I'm using a dex build?

zsswimmer

Honestly the most frustrating thing about the battle is getting there. I keep dying on the two silver knights on the way - mainly the second one with the spear.

Picked a bad night to play. Not in the greatest mood so I was really raging at some of the more questionable deaths. Maybe tomorrow I'll beat them.
But probably not.

Practice your parries on the silver knights. It becomes rather easy after a few runs and with me rocking the lightning spear, a parry plus one extra hit when they get up kills them. You still stuck there? I got past Nito thanks to some help on Steam, and now I'm on Ceaseless Discharge. Very easy boss, but it killed me with like 50 hp left cause his attacking arm has a slight fire AoE that I ran into -_-

edit: I killed Ceaseless Discharge but Im stuck on 4 Kings. Tried tanking them in Havel's armor but Witch Beatress or whatever her name is sucks as a coop

Tuck

I... can't do it. I came close, but only once - got Smaugh down to 25% then died. But so, so many failures.

I'm just not good enough.

Parsnip

I... can't do it. I came close, but only once - got Smaugh down to 25% then died. But so, so many failures.

I'm just not good enough.
If you are doing it solo I always found that killing Ornstein first was the way to go with my normal build. Use the pillars in the environment to your advantage. If you are locked on and can't keep them both in your view, disengage lock-on until you can see them both again.
And just in case, you have kindled the bonfire right?

If you are not against summoning, try summoning Solaire to the fight. If nothing else he'll agro one of them (usually Ornstein I think) so you can concentrate on Smough first.

All of a sudden I kind of want to play Dark Souls again.

zsswimmer

Turkish maybe you could try a pure tanking fight? I just beat the 4 Kings easily with this method, although you may not have the gear or stamina to do so. Just put on Havel's armor and whatever shield that blocks 100%. If you have pyromancy you can use the iron flesh spell too, which further makes you more defensive at the cost of mobility (which is already shit cause of Havels armor).

You'll just want to let them come to you and you try to attack - regain stamina - attack - repeat, probably with Solitaire summoned.

Anyways I had trouble with finding ANYONE to summon until I hit 60+, then I had a few pop up and managed to get a sunbro with some crazy weaponry which obviously helps a lot. But yeah if tanking is not working, get your best weapon and use the fire item on it. I find that without some kind of summoning partner it really is exponentially harder

Right now I'm trying to get the prerequesites for the extra DLC. I only played through the base game on the 360, so I'm excited about content I've never played before. How is the DLC btw for anyone who did play it, should I be excited?

Parsnip

Right now I'm trying to get the prerequesites for the extra DLC. I only played through the base game on the 360, so I'm excited about content I've never played before. How is the DLC btw for anyone who did play it, should I be excited?
Everyone seems to agree that the DLC is absolutely fantastic, some think it's better than the base game.

zsswimmer

Awesome! Dark Souls is fairly fresh as its been a year and a half since Ive played it, but I'm looking forward to content that Ive never seen before. Currently at the Dukes Archives to kill that Golem.

zsswimmer

Any tips on how to beat Manus, Father of the Abyss? He seems to attack so quickly that even with that plant that boosts stamina recovery I can't mount much of a defense. Tried using the Guardian armor set to tank him like I did with the boss before him but with no luck.

Arjen

Any tips on how to beat Manus, Father of the Abyss? He seems to attack so quickly that even with that plant that boosts stamina recovery I can't mount much of a defense. Tried using the Guardian armor set to tank him like I did with the boss before him but with no luck.

Dodge his attacks, use pendant for his magic.

zsswimmer

Dodge his attacks, use pendant for his magic.

I threw in Iron Flesh with the armor set and beat him. I originally was trying a dodge approach but getting absolutely wrecked each time. Is he the last part of the DLC though? I see a woman on the ground but cant talk to her

Arjen

I threw in Iron Flesh with the armor set and beat him. I originally was trying a dodge approach but getting absolutely wrecked each time. Is he the last part of the DLC though? I see a woman on the ground but cant talk to her

Yes that's the end, talk to the big mushroom at the start.
Did you do kalameet?

zsswimmer

No I went on the wiki to look at that boss so I'm gonna try it out later. Gotta find someone before I fight the dragon apparently. I hadn't realized they added a duel arena in the DLC, kinda cool as I wasnt expecting it.

Tuck

My god even with other people I can't do this. Only one twin-humanity left, then I need to solo the boss for sure. FUCK.

EDIT: It is done. Finally. The two I summoned did most of the work but fuck it I don't even care. 5 hours on one boss, wdf.

Top Bottom