• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zeliard

You're right, my bad. I completely confused the additional slots for extra saves. Ah well, I sorta like the challenge of it.

It's awesome, imo. The permanence makes you super-attached to your character and also makes every decision you make more important.

Recarpo

Was the dark wood grain ring changed from the console versions? I swear I could be up to 50% weight and still get the effects, but now I have to be under 25% to get it.

Sorry if anyone's day got ruined in I'm or londo by a black phantom. I must've invaded like 100 people today trying to climb up the darkwraith rankings
I think I might jump ship and join you. It's awful lonely being in the Gravelord Covenant. On a related note, where is the PvP arena at in this game? Didn't notice it in the menus, unless I'm just blind, but I assume that you access it in the world somewhere?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Was the dark wood grain ring changed from the console versions? I swear I could be up to 50% weight and still get the effects, but now I have to be under 25% to get it.
Yeah it got nerfed. Mid-rolls got buffed though and I like it better this way. Frees up a slot for another ring and not everyone does the same flipping build anymore.

Grief.exe

I just don't seem to be doing enough damage to these snake guys at the entrance to Sen's.

Maybe I don't have their timing down yet, they are a whole new breed of tough enemy really. Even when they are staggered, or finished attacking, their head can strike you too.

Any suggestions?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't seem to be doing enough damage to these snake guys at the entrance to Sen's.

Maybe I don't have their timing down yet, they are a whole new breed of tough enemy really. Even when they are staggered, or finished attacking, their head can strike you too.

Any suggestions?
Backstab them

Any suggestions?
Upgrade your weapon. Backstab.
Or if you can just use the Zweihander. R2/RT does a lot of damage and knocks them down to be hit again.

Ceebs

The Mimic is maybe the creepiest enemy so far. I mean really...wtf there.

Up to Sens Fortress and still not sure if I actually like this game though. I love the look of everything in the game, the combat is pretty good, but could the rest of the mechanics be any more obtuse? Most of it is stuff that you just will not figure out using any sort of common sense.

Zeliard

Up to Sens Fortress and still not sure if I actually like this game though. I love the look of everything in the game, the combat is pretty good, but could the rest of the mechanics be any more obtuse? Most of it is stuff that you just will not figure out using any sort of common sense.

Be sure if you aren't to use the Triangle/Y, Square/X, and select buttons on the menu screens to get much more information. It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about gear, stats, etc.

Beyond that I think you can generally intuit stuff. There are definitely some obscure elements but I think that's generally a positive since it fosters discussion and discovery among players.

Grief.exe

Just had my first official rage quit. Sen's Fortress is so ridiculously frustrating.

Had gotten pretty far, was on this thin bridge with guillotines and a snake sorcerer who would knock me off with a spell. I had no pyromancy left to take care of snakey, and I had to sprint across. I barely touched one of the guillotines and fell to my death.

Raxus

Where does the pyromancer trainer go after you meet his master?

NM, googled it he is dead. Is there anywhere else I can learn Iron Flesh?

Zaventem

The level up menu gives has a button that explains EVERY stat.On ps3 it's select and back button for 360.Look at the level up menu an you'll see it.Also read all the items and talk to everything that can be talked too.What are some things that don't require common sense?

Antagon

Just had my first official rage quit. Sen's Fortress is so ridiculously frustrating.

Had gotten pretty far, was on this thin bridge with guillotines and a snake sorcerer who would knock me off with a spell. I had no pyromancy left to take care of snakey, and I had to sprint across. I barely touched one of the guillotines and fell to my death.

Yeah, it sucks. You where near the end als well. I'd recommend checking the bonfire location as it's easy to miss.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Guys is there. A webpage where i can learn about all the changes from the original game? Buffs and nerfs?
From the community so far -

DWGR nerfed to below 25% equip load (CONFIRMED)
BB transfer and dragon head glitch fixed (CONFIRMED)
Claymore and all other greatswords had their speed nerfed (CONFIRMED)
New warp locations, such as Undead Parish, the Depths, Tomb of the Giants and more (CONFIRMED)
Elite Knight Set fixed. Now the poise is back to 46 making it useful again (CONFIRMED)
Hornet Ring nerfed. Damage is now 30%, not 50% (CONFIRMED)
Some item changes on corpses ex. 3 humanities on the corpse at the well in Firelink Shire (CONFIRMED)
Eagle Shield physical damage reduction down to 95% from 100% making it useless (CONFIRMED)
Mid-Rolls buffed (CONFIRMED)
Elemenatal weapons slightly nerfed (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Father nerfed. Now adds 5% equip load (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Mother nerfed. Now adds 10% HP (CONFIRMED)
Hyper Armor for STR weapons returned (CONFIRMED)

Sarcasm

I started as a pyro..what is the general take on lvling up and pumping stats? I want to do end but if I need certain STR and DEX for items I rather get those quickly.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god at the greatsword
you can make with Artorias' soul. It lets you do all of his crazy flip attacks and double swings

Dizzy-4U

Goddamit, friggin' gargoyles man.....I was killing it so easily, I knew something was wrong.
Maneater all over again.

edit: Take THAT!!!

Got killed by a surprise
black knight on the tower after taurus.
I thought I should leave him for later, but his attacks are slooooow. Decided to just roll around then kill him easily.

NBtoaster

The game "failed to load save data" and wanted to create new data to overwrite it. I alt f4'd out and reloaded and it was fine...scared the shit out of me.

It only gave me the option of retrying to load which kept failing, and to create new data. So if anyone meets this, don't believe its lies and shut down the game first!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
How easy is it to coop with a buddy and how long does it usually take to find each other?
From super easy to super hard. Day one I summoned my friend into my game and we beat the boss, then he summoned me into his and we beat the same boss for him. Yesterday he summoned me again for a boss no problem, but then later in the day we tried to coop again and couldn't see each other's signs at all after an hour of trying.

Just depends on if you're both on the same server I guess. We tried finding ways to switch servers but it seemed like luck mostly.

Roche

I'm very scared of starting this game. What should I know?

One bit of advice I like to give to people starting out is to take your time with the game. It can be very frustrating especially if played in long sessions. I find it best to just make a bit of progress and stop if you get too annoyed.

Also don't put stats in resistance, ever.

Foffy

Banned
I'm very scared of starting this game. What should I know?

Do. Not. Rush. This game has so many placements of enemies that the game expects to do quick work of you if you rush at enemies as if this was Devil May Cry.

And if an enemy looks like he can easily kick your shit in, there's a chance that if you're unfamiliar with its tactics and the game mechanics, it will indeed kick your shit in.

zkylon

zkylewd
So who's Dark Souls' equivalent of Stockpile Thomas? I need to get rid of a lot of stuff ASAP.

I'm really finding Dark Souls to be way more overwhelming than Demon's. I don't know what's kindling, what's humanity, what's the benefit of reverse hollowing (though I can imagine it's the same as body form), what covenants are, etc. etc. Don't really want an answer, just saying, it's pretty crazy :p

NBtoaster

So who's Dark Souls' equivalent of Stockpile Thomas? I need to get rid of a lot of stuff ASAP.

I'm really finding Dark Souls to be way more overwhelming than Demon's. I don't know what's kindling, what's humanity, what's the benefit of reverse hollowing (though I can imagine it's the same as body form), what covenants are, etc. etc. Don't really want an answer, just saying, it's pretty crazy :p

You can buy a bottomless box from the merchant in the undead burg to store things.

There's not much point in it though, you have no carry limits, unless you just want to remove clutter to reduce scrolling time in the inventory.

Zeliard

Buy the bottomless box from the merchant in Undead Burg. Also buy a repair box and the orange soapstone. Probably also a good idea to snag a bow and some arrows.

Just to note, there isn't actually item weight anymore. You can hold as much stuff as you want, there's just a limit on how much you can equip to maintain agility. Still the bottomless box is great to keep things organized when your inventory starts to fill up.

Foffy

Banned

You don't need to get rid of anything...you have an unlimited inventory. You can buy a Bottomless Box and toss all of the shit you don't want to see in your inventory there. You can also
sell your items to one Kingseeker, but that depends on how you progress through the story. If you break the suggested path of the game, this option because disabled, but you learn more lore.

But, in case you secretly wanted an answer to your questions...
Kindling helps you beef up the amount of Estus you can get from a bonfire. Humanity stacks up, as it rasies defense to status effects and greatly boosts the drop rate for items. Reversing hollowing allows you to be in human form, which I believe causes the humanity upgrades to be more potent, as well as the online/summoning/invading aspects to take hold. Covenants are also the games mini-faction system. Some allow you to invade sinners, defend locations, or even have an easier time finding co-operative allies.

Detox

From super easy to super hard. Day one I summoned my friend into my game and we beat the boss, then he summoned me into his and we beat the same boss for him. Yesterday he summoned me again for a boss no problem, but then later in the day we tried to coop again and couldn't see each other's signs at all after an hour of trying.

Just depends on if you're both on the same server I guess. We tried finding ways to switch servers but it seemed like luck mostly.
I see, what is the method to get it working? Also how does coop save progression can the non-host player get items, exp etc that carries over with him and essentially allow us to coop through the entire game or is it just summoning to help out and then they go back to their own game world?

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks.

By the way, question I'm actually hoping an answer for: humanity is limited just like stones of the ephemeral eyes were in Demon's Souls, right? I kinda want to get rid of hollow form just to de-ugyify myself but if I only have like 30 humanities in the whole game, I should probably think about it a little better.

And I can tell you right now that having my character being a rotten corpse will be the one caveat that makes me like this a hell lot less than Demon's, just because I have a hard time relating :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
This isnt fixed really, there is a new way to do it...
Yeah, I figured something like that was going on. Invaded some really high level guy in the forest day one who dropped 900k souls, and then killed another super high level guy today who dropped 850k souls.

Also just met my first cheater in pvp. Had infinite health and stamina. Pretty sure he was using this trainer: http://getallforgames.com/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-trainercheathack/

I hope From Software does something to fix this but judging by their PC technical prowress I'm predicting that DkS' pvp will be overrun by these guys soon.

Foffy

Banned
I see, what is the method to get it working? Also how does coop save progression can the non-host player get items, exp etc that carries over with him and essentially allow us to coop through the entire game or is it just summoning to help out and then they go back to their own game world?

Basically, co-op allows the phantoms and host to get souls, and any rare drops that come from enemies and bosses. I think loot you have to manually pick up can only be seen by the host, as well as NPCs. If you join a game and the boss is defeated, it is not defeated in your game. Consider entering another persons game as entering another dimension in the lore; what events transpire in there will have very little to do with the dimension of your playthrough. This idea allows you to actually replay boss fights as long as you are summoned into a game where the hosts boss has not been defeated.

Thanks.

By the way, question I'm actually hoping an answer for: humanity is limited just like stones of the ephemeral eyes were in Demon's Souls, right? I kinda want to get rid of hollow form just to de-ugyify myself but if I only have like 30 humanities in the whole game, I should probably think about it a little better.

And I can tell you right now that having my character being a rotten corpse will be the one caveat that makes me like this a hell lot less than Demon's, just because I have a hard time relating :p

Humanity is just like the Ephemeral Eyes. Purchasing it has limited amounts, but it's also a drop on enemies. In fact, Humanity can be found on very easy enemies if you want to farm it, presumably to not allow players to get stuck in a wall with no option of summoning aid.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, I figured something like that was going on. Invaded some really high level guy in the forest day one who dropped 900k souls, and then killed another super high level guy today who dropped 850k souls.

Also just met my first cheater in pvp. Had infinite health and stamina. Pretty sure he was using this trainer:
I hope From Software does something to fix this but judging by their PC technical prowress I'm predicting that DkS' pvp will be overrun by these guys soon.

Why even link to that shit in here.

NBtoaster

Thanks.

Humanity can drop from enemies and you can get it from co op and pvp, it's unlimited, though not that common.

Though remember that any humanity on your person (not as an item, but in the number next to your health) drops with your souls when you die.

Shinjica

Stay in human form let you summon/be summoned and invade/be invaded. In short it start PVP function

Top Bottom