• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

If they already ported Ninja Blade why is the guy acting like the PC is some foreign enigma to him? Did a different team at From port it?

Ninja Blade was ported by ND Games. I think Dark Souls is being ported directly by FROM.

upandaway

What sort of excuse is "lack of experience"? C'mon dudes. You're a professional studio.

Still gonna buy it since I only have a PC (so having the console experience is not inherently negative) but it's a bit silly.

Aside from the FPS cap, what else could be "fixed" by hacking? Could they do resolution or mods?

dani_dc

From the answers regarding GFWL and Steamworks I got the impression he didn't realize there's a difference between selling a game on Steam and a game being Steamworks, and that "we might work with Steam as well " comment merely means they might make it available for sale on steam.

Either way, it's fairly disappointing that every time there's news regarding Dark Souls for PC it somehow makes the whole thing sound less and less appealing, at this point we can only hope that either this interviews represent some major communications flaws, or that fan feedback forces From Software to fix the many issues already mentioned.

It feels as if no research was done by From Software in regards to the PC market and that in addition to that Namco failed at given them appropriate information about it.

LiK

From the answers regarding GFWL and Steamworks I got the impression he didn't realize there's a difference between selling a game on Steam and a game being Steamworks, and that "we might work with Steam as well " comment merely means they might make it available for sale on steam.

Either way, it's fairly disappointing that every time there's news regarding Dark Souls for PC it somehow makes the whole thing sound less and less appealing, at this point we can only hope that either this interviews represent some major communications flaws, or that fan feedback forces From Software to fix the many issues already mentioned.

It feels as if no research was done by From Software in regards to the PC market and that in addition to that Namco failed at given them appropriate information about it.

Namco: PC port now.

Namco. NOW!

If you read the OP it becomes pretty clear that both the pacing and technical decisions behind this port are all Namco's idea, and that the funding and push for it come from their end.

Imagine if your publisher came to you saying "We need this game on a new platform you've never developed for. Have it done in the next 3 months so we can ship in in 4" There are bound to be problems. Namco could have either handed it to to a dev with PC experience, or just put it off for a year but confirmed its release, and to grab some cash release the DLC on consoles this summer for $10.

I really dislike all the anti-From talk in this thread especially given how amazing of a Dev they've been these past 5 years.

This is from way back in the thread, but:

Still Miyazaki's comments really surprise me someone who's actually produces video games is that ignorant about PC games?

You realize there's a very good possibility (without knowing the man's history) that this is the first PC game he's ever worked on, right? It'll possibly be the first PC game he's ever played, if he helps test it?

Even at its "height", Japanese PC gaming was a minority. The huge majority of extant game developers in Japan have literally zero PC experience, especially the younger ones. At best they have a tiny amount of doujin experience from their "younger days". Falcom is one of two major development houses which has staff familiar with modern PC development at all (the other being Type-Moon, and what they do is somewhat different). So, no, it's very possible they don't understand, at all, why this would be seen as negative. They have no prior experience with the platform. At all.

You realize there's a very good possibility (without knowing the man's history) that this is the first PC game he's ever worked on, right? It'll possibly be the first PC game he's ever played, if he helps test it?

Even at its "height", Japanese PC gaming was a minority. The huge majority of extant game developers in Japan have literally zero PC experience, especially the younger ones. At best they have a tiny amount of doujin experience from their "younger days". Falcom is one of two major development houses which has staff familiar with modern PC development at all (the other being Type-Moon, and what they do is somewhat different). So, no, it's very possible they don't understand, at all, why this would be seen as negative. They have no prior experience with the platform. At all.

Still, supporting native 1080p (or higher) and a 60fps framerate isn't exactly rocket science vs developing and optimizing for the PS3 hardware. Not that From is the best example of technical polish on either game...

Jintor

What Drake said.

Zeliard

There's no need to even speculate; Miyazaki clearly says in the EGM interview that this is his first PC game:

EGM: So, originally, did you think that a game like Dark Souls wouldn’t be fitting for the PC market, or was it simply something you just never considered?

Miyazaki: I had no experience making PC games, so it was simply a case of never even thinking about it.

Sentenza

Wait, don't you know what's new? Disappointed customers aren't authorized to complain anymore; if they even dare, they will face the scary Anti-Entitlement Brigade telling them how they are a bunch of crybabies with can't do anything good with their lives.

Anyway, considering how many comments by console gamers in this thread are apparently missing the point, I'd like to stress how if these rumors were confirmed, we would be way beyond the "lazy port" line.

Options to set the resolution and improved textures aren't even "features" for a PC game; a developer doesn't even need to put in them any effort worthy of being called so.
They would just need to NOT put artificial, arbitrary limitations and then let the better hardware do the rest.
So people have *plenty* of good reasons to be pissed if these options aren't allowed.

Eusis

You'd be pretty goddamned surprised, to be honest.
To both? The resolution bit seems odd to me (though I guess they could be crazy obsessed with the HUD matching the rest of the visuals), but I can easily see the problem with 60 FPS for games without that in mind. From Dust had the game running at double speed, FFXI has netcode problems, and LA Noire has motion capping that'd break at over 30 FPS. Hell, Bioshock ISN'T capped, and even lets you run at 60 FPS on consoles at the cost of some visual effects like V-Sync, but the ragdoll physics make me question if I should be capping it for replaying in the future.

To both? The resolution bit seems odd to me (though I guess they could be crazy obsessed with the HUD matching the rest of the visuals),

That's just one aspect, yes; more generally, anticipating an unpredictable viewing field is a nightmare.

but I can easily see the problem with 60 FPS for games without that in mind. From Dust had the game running at double speed, FFXI has netcode problems, and LA Noire has motion capping that'd break at over 30 FPS. Hell, Bioshock ISN'T capped, and even lets you run at 60 FPS on consoles at the cost of some visual effects like V-Sync, but the ragdoll physics make me question if I should be capping it for replaying in the future.

Everyone, read the rest of what this man wrote and take it to heart. He is a smart man.

Emitan

I will suffer through all of this if it means their next game will be on PC with proper support day one. They've gotta start somewhere.

Sentenza

That's just one aspect, yes; more generally, anticipating an unpredictable viewing field is a nightmare.
No, it's not.
Can we stop justify all sort of laziness trying to imply it would be "very costly to support that thing" when even the most penniless indie developers can offer these features with virtually no effort and no budget?

Eusis

Well, that one's even harder to excuse. I imagine at this point HUDs can be scaled without looking TOO bad, though after Ys's portraits I can see why they may opt to avoid that anyway, but viewing angles? Slap black bars on non-16:9 resolutions and call it a day. Given that it's more likely they'd cut the edges off the sides I'd actually welcome it.
No, it's not.
Can we stop justify all sort of laziness trying to imply it would be "very costly to support that thing" when even the most penniless indie developers can offer these features with virtually no effort and no budget?
I really doubt it's that simple. It's not so much they're lazy as that... well, it's probably like a building. They already built the whole thing, figuring out how to fit in new wiring for this high end office, hotel, or whatever it a lot harder than for a new house being built by people keeping this in mind.

Cyrano

Yeah, a person working for an hour (if that) could create a standard, interactable UI that would allow you to customize frame rates, resolutions, and even aliasing in the Phyre Engine with no problems. (these likely even exist in debug versions of the game for testing purposes!)

GFWL I can live with, despite not liking it and really wishing for Steamworks or (if even possible) a DRM-Free solution. No resolution/frame rate switches is just insane.

Tokubetsu

Fuck it, why even bother with a PC port? You're not even gonna take advantage of the most simple things the platform can use. All that bullshit hype for a lazy ass port. I'm surprised it isn't out already seeing as how they're gonna spend all of five minutes on it. I would have rather had the SAME game, but with PC optimizations over a lazy port with new content any fucking day of the week.

RedSwirl

Basically this, which just makes Capcom look like even more of a miracle.

Aselith

Fact is that even if this is the worst PC port ever and everything, everything that's being speculated about is true...it'll still be the best version of the game so I'll buy it.

Eusis

Fact is that even if this is the worst PC port ever and everything, everything that's being speculated about is true...it'll still be the best version of the game so I'll buy it.
Resident Evil 4 PC can only be argued as the best version AFTER extensive modding. To assume it's inherently the best even in a worst case scenario is naive, and I'm hoping the worst case scenario IS merely blind console parity.

Sentenza

I have to completely and utterly disagree with you here, even if I didn't own the PS3 version already. Gameplay over graphics. Always.
Improved framerate is gameplay, you know.
And I'm absolutely with him. I would take a decent port with solid performances and without GFWL over this (potential) mess with some extra content no one asked for in a heartbeat.

UrbanRats

Yeah so the right man for the job, clearly.
Good job Namco.

Improved framerate is gameplay, you know.

Yup. But the game is already playable in its current form, even lol Blighttown, I know this because I've played it a zillion times. That being said, I'd rather have more content than a graphical tuneup even if the ideal is both. If the game had just been prettier the only reason I'd have bought it is because my brother and I both have PCs but we only have one PS3 so no co-op. Otherwise I'd just go "cool story From" and just keep playing PS3 version. Graphics do not and never will trump content for me.

mxgt

Banned
The hilarious thing is if all these things are true and don't change by the time of release and it sells like shit we'll probably get blamed, not the awful port.

duckroll

FROM Software did develop and release Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool for the PC. :p

Well, there are a few things to note. Firstly, From Software as a company does have a culture of appreciating PC games and the platform, based on their obvious inspirations in game design for both Armored Core and King's Field/Souls. But more relevant to this project, Miyazaki in particular was nor part of From Software way back when they did have experimentation into PC tools. And even if he did, the nature of the PC platform back then, and now, is completely different and wouldn't really help much in terms of experience.

Donos

The game will also only offer limited support for mouse and keyboard control. "Since it's a straight port of the console version, we recommend that players use a joypad. We will support the keyboard, but it will be minimal."

wat. I have usb pad and DS3 but i still would like to play with m/k.

Bring on the mods !

Still hats up to From that they even try.

What does he even mean with "limited support" for keyboard and mouse? Considering how clueless he is, I doubt he meant 1-10 hotkeys for items or something.
seeing how stupid things are going with the port so far
I guess they will let us use arrow keys instead of WASD and non inverted mouse and no option to change them.

I would laugh hysterically all day if that happens.

Wow, just catching up on all this. When I heard of framerate issues on the console versions I figured I'd skip it, until I heard they were making a PC version. And now... this?

All I know is that if this information is accurate in terms of how the PC version will pan out this better be a damn cheap game. I couldn't stomach paying more than $15-20 for such a bad port.

Aselith

Wow, just catching up on all this. When I heard of framerate issues on the console versions I figured I'd skip it, until I heard they were making a PC version. And now... this?

All I know is that if this information is accurate in terms of how the PC version will pan out this better be a damn cheap game. I couldn't stomach paying more than $15-20 for such a bad port.

Don't lose hope yet, brother. The port may turn out to be excellent. It's just not looking too good at the moment.

Eusis

Don't lose hope yet, brother. The port may turn out to be excellent. It's just not looking too good at the moment.
And like I've said if the framerate is capped BUT reasonable machines can play at 30 FPS throughout (or at least Blighttown) then it's still a victory, just not as big as 60 FPS throughout.

Zeliard

Problem there is any machine that does drop frames will be going below 30. I wouldn't hold out much hope that it'll be particularly well-optimized in general.

Eusis

Problem there is any machine that does drop frames will be going below 30. I wouldn't hold out much hope that it'll be particularly well-optimized in general.
Hopefully if that happens it's "blink and you'll miss it" rather than... Blighttown.

I've written a serious mail to Namco Bandai games. I don't think it's very probable that something may come out of this, but I think it's worth a shot.

Zeliard

Hopefully if that happens it's "blink and you'll miss it" rather than... Blighttown.

Best we can hope for is that Miyazaki just didn't really know what he was talking about and that there is no actual 30 fps cap - that he meant they aren't purposefully optimizing the game and places like Blighttown to be less resource-intensive and result in higher framerates in that fashion.

Solid PCs should be able to brute force it for the most part unless they stick an artificial limit in there.

One thing I wanted from this game ONE THING was 60fps @ 1080p.

I didn't ask for new content.
I didn't ask for lowered price.
I didn't even ask for Steam exclusivity.

1080p
60fps

And they will fail to deliver even that, something that should happen AUTOMATICALLY depending on the power of your videocard.

Sentenza

Much like my feelings on the Street Fighter PC ports, I'm just happy to have this game, barebones or no. I just want to play Dark Souls.

Knowing FROM, and their previous stuff like the King's Field scenario creator for PC, they will definitely do cool stuff on PC if they find that they have a fanbase there.
but that's the point: they won't find any fanbase delivering an awful product.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ugh this all sounds TOO good. I would 100% purchase any DLC that comes out to add this content.
Whether I play it or not is another story... I just WANT it.

(will also try and convince PC-only friends to get asap).

edit:

For those who haven't played yet, the framerate concerns are seriously one of the most overblown "issues" I've seen in awhile... I put 80 hours into the PS3 version, and I never had any difficulty with framerate. Blighttown was no better or worse than any other part of the game. I'm not anal about these things - I understand I'm playing a videogame - but there was nothing game breaking or even game compromising about it. I thought it was technically brilliant.

Saty

It's unfortunate, really. Namco attempting to answer the demand of fans ASAP, maybe too fast seeing From's experience with platform, which leads the port to leave a lot to be desired.

Putting the cart ahead of the horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom