• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Is there a good place to get information about gameplay systems that isn't super spoilery? I want to understand what people are talking about.

Cyrano

Is there a good place to get information about gameplay systems that isn't super spoilery? I want to understand what people are talking about.
I mean, you can check out the wiki, but it's really hard to understand the game system without playing it. Even then, it's really best to play it first. Spoiling yourself kinda makes it... less fun. Or at the very least, less challenging, particularly for Dark Souls, since finding the waypoints/shortcuts can be a really exciting/scary part of the game.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
random black knights walking around sounds pretty rad

I wish there more npc/standard enemy black phantoms, period. Encountering them in Demon's was like "OH SHIT! ok keep your head straight, don't make any mistakes". It's such a rush fighting them. I think I've only encountered them in Dark like twice after a couple hundred hours and almost always online.

Minsc

Gold Member
Any chance we can get an update to the OP? I just barely made it through the first 6 pages of trash talking and speculation before skipping to the end to ask:

When's this coming out? Are resolution and fps caps confirmed or what?

Release date is August 24th, you can pre-order it now, if you want.

Technically, we still don't know 100% for sure if you can switch resolutions, though you probably can; and we were told not to expect higher framerates, so a framerate cap is not confirmed either, but seems likely. Nor do we know for certain if the PC version will have slowdown hardcoded in to it, but the fact the performance varies slightly iirc from 360 to PS3 from reading user impression earlier on indicates to me it should be removed on faster hardware...

There have been no PC screens released yet.

Haunted

It's coming. I don't have confirmation (yet), but it's coming. There's no way it won't come. They aren't going to screw over the fan base that made these games. Talking to the director, it was painfully obvious that he wasn't allowed to say anything at this point, and wasn't answering in a way that meant it isn't going to be coming. One of the screenshots in the batch of images released was labeled "PS3". Somebody from my office talked to somebody at Namco Bandai months ago who claimed that DLC was coming for the console versions.

If you're a Dark Souls fan and you're worrying that this isn't going to come as DLC for the console versions, you need to stop worrying.
Yeah, it's not a question of if, but how.

DLC or a GOTY Prepare to Die Edition.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Has anyone mentioned that the extra content for PC is NOT coming to consoles?

http://www.360magazine.co.uk/interview/dark-souls-game-director-apologises-to-console-players/

Page seems down though now...

From Software has no plans to bring the PC’s Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition, and it’s additional content, to consoles. We talk to the game director to find out why…

Hidetaka Miazaki: It’s completely understandable that people who bought the original version would ask about the additional content, however, as the director of Dark Souls I cannot say right now about whether or not this content will ever be available as DLC. But, I want to emphasis my sincere apologise to those players that bought the console version that we don’t have any news for them at this point.

Shit-ass games journalists who don't understand PR-speak, or shit-ass games journalists writing sensationalized headlines to get more hits from people who don't know any better? You make the call.

They'd be dumb to announce the content for consoles right now. They have to give people more reason to double dip on the PC version.

They'd be dumb to announce the content for consoles too. They have to give people more reason to double dip on the PC version.

It's really a dirty tactic. I mean, would all the PC guys who signed the petition suddenly not care if they found out the consoles were getting the new edition as well? I thought all they wanted was their 1080p and 60fps.

M3d10n

Has there been a AAA game console port to PC with locked framerates and locked resolution before? If yes, I haven't played/noticed it. :-/

Enabling the in-game v-sync in Dead Space locked the game into 30fps (as well as creating massive input lag).

D3RANG3D

It's really a dirty tactic. I mean, would all the PC guys who signed the petition suddenly not care if they found out the consoles were getting the new edition as well? I thought all they wanted was their 1080p and 60fps.

I think people would be less likely to double dip if they already have the console version if the content was confirmed coming to consoles before the PC version is out. PC gamers just wanted the game with better resolution, frame rates etc,. I was surprised about the new content honestly.

mattp

assuming the new content comes to consoles, my guess is it would be on a goty/prepare to die edition type thing, and not be sold as dlc
assuming that's true, i really hope we can use our save files from the vanilla version on the new one
does anyone have experience with this with other games? do they goty editions use the same save files?

Massa

assuming the new content comes to consoles, my guess is it would be on a goty/prepare to die edition type thing, and not be sold as dlc
assuming that's true, i really hope we can use our save files from the vanilla version on the new one
does anyone have experience with this with other games? do they goty editions use the same save files?

Fallout uses the same saves.

It would be a shame if they had to do it that way.

It would suck if we have to start everything over. Also the BB glitch probably wouldn't work in a new release.

I think people would be less likely to double dip if they already have the console version if the content was confirmed coming to consoles before the PC version is out. PC gamers just wanted the game with better resolution, frame rates etc,. I was surprised about the new content honestly.

It still doesn't make sense because even if they announced the new edition for consoles, they'd still get all the same double dippers plus a whole lot more who would not double dip on PC.

The marketing and PR this gen has been total shit. Nobody is allowed to say anything. Everything is kept a secret from consumers.

D3RANG3D

It would suck if we have to start everything over. Also the BB glitch probably wouldn't work in a new release.

It still doesn't make sense because even if they announced the new edition for consoles, they'd still get all the same double dippers plus a whole lot more who would not double dip on PC.

The marketing and PR this gen has been total shit. Nobody is allowed to say anything. Everything is kept a secret from consumers.

Basically what I tried to say is they don't want to kill the PC version before it is out, why wait for the PC version if you can just play what you already have with the new content on consoles? What they want is to have impulse purchases because people think this content in exclusive on PC. I am sure there will be some double dipping anyways.

I hope they let the PC version exist with exclusive content for no longer than a month or two, and then announce/release it as DLC for PS3/X360.

It's a ripoff to make people re-buy a $40+ GOTY edition just for a little extra content.
Release a GOTY edition if they want, but make it available as DLC as well.

I hope they let the PC version exist with exclusive content for no longer than a month or two, and then announce/release it as DLC for PS3/X360.

It's a ripoff to make people re-buy a $40+ GOTY edition just for a little extra content.

It's not just a little content though. It's at least two new dungeons among other things.

Canova

Banned

no way.

DLC and PC version have to be on the same date

Just saw this news and I'm gonna go with pleasantly surprised that they're even doing this and happy to be getting a chance to play the game. I can handle 30 frames per second over 0 because the game doesn't exist. The fixed resolution is crappy, it has to be said, but hopefully that's just a rumour.

Sweet, didn't think I'd ever get to play Dark Souls.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I get that, but just because it's a black dragon, it has to be Guyra?
How many black dragons do you know of with 1 eye in the middle of their heads?

kf-guyra.jpg

(adding link since it doesn't seem to image) http://www.flyingomelette.com/greatgames/screens/kf-guyra.jpg

Sullichin

Just saw this news and I'm gonna go with pleasantly surprised that they're even doing this and happy to be getting a chance to play the game. I can handle 30 frames per second over 0 because the game doesn't exist. The fixed resolution is crappy, it has to be said, but hopefully that's just a rumour.

Sweet, didn't think I'd ever get to play Dark Souls.

I can almost guarantee you that fixed resolution isn't going to happen - it doesn't make sense. It's a combination of 'games journalism', translation, misquotes, gaf over reaction.

I've said it a few times now but Dark Souls for consoles doesn't strike me as being outfitted for DLC. Really wouldn't surprise me if we just got a separate SKU for the Prepare to Die Edition on consoles. Just guessing obviously.

UrbanRats

that petition smh...

dear god, that's a horrible petition lol

I don't even understand. What would they gain?

Can I petition to cancel the petition instead?

Yeah, basically. Screw them.
Don't feed the troll (the petition, not Tuco).

Natiko

Banned
Really disappointed this might not be hitting consoles. I could probably run Dark Souls on my PC, but I have no desire to start over with a new character.

Did you read the OP? It's adding a minimum of 3 new areas and 3 new bosses, new weapons, armor, NPCs, and story. It's well worth the money for the fans who made this happen.

Fans beg for pc port. PC port announced. Fans displeased.

That's why we never get ports.
Imagine you really wanted to play Witcher 2, so you 'begged' for a console port. Then CD Projekt announced a console version of Witcher 2, hooray! Then CD Projekt said it would have a locked framerate of 24 and run in 480p.

Imagine you really wanted to play Witcher 2, so you 'begged' for a console port. Then CD Projekt announced a console version of Witcher 2, hooray! Then CD Projekt said it would have a locked framerate of 24 and run in 480p.

If it was this or no play, I'd be happy.

Except the fixed resolution was debunked for Dark Souls I think. It was about texture res.

Zomba13

JUST BE HAPPY YOU GET IT! God, so entitled. You aren't entitled to a good port so stop being upset that you're not getting one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom