• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls to Bloodborne to Dark Souls 2 and back to Dark Souls again...

...and hopes for Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls

I started my Souls experience about 2 years ago, I believe, when I finally decided to try out this game GAF raved about. It took a while to get into due to how it took some more old school style gaming design and a very different approach to combat and exploration than most modern games provide. However in the end it drew me in and I loved it. I didn’t think it was perfect but it sure as hell did some great things.

The combat was slower but each strike had to be done with purpose and every hit, block and dodge mattered. The world was confusing yet fascinating. It twisted and turned around on itself in a way that was kind of magical and had several “wow” moments when you realised you were above or below an area you had been to before. Everything up to defeating O&S was an epic journey even if it was frustrating at times (falling into a pit of basilisks, Blight town etc). The game took a bit of a nose dive towards the end of the game due to rushed development, I believe it was, but I got it. I got what people loved about it.

Bloodborne

Then I moved on to Bloodborne. I was curious to see how I would fair without my shield. Would it be harder? would it be easier? would it have that same feel that I got from Dark Souls. Well my expectations were blown out the water. I fell in love with this game almost instantly. The movement, combat, world design, art style, crazy lore and bosses were all (well almost all) fantastic. So much so I have completed the game 4 times. This is 3 times more than most games I play. It takes a pretty special game to make me even replay it once let alone multiple times.

For me it’s game length was also pretty perfect. It took me 26 hours to complete my first blind run. I missed most optional areas doing this but I made sure I did all those in NG+. And then NG++ I did in about 4 hours to get the final ending.

If I had to say anything negative about it, it would be that the atmosphere is so damn repressive that I have to stop playing it otherwise I get addicted, keep playing it and my dreams get all kind of messed up. Not many games can hook me like this thing does.

It also suffers from a lack of build variety but that doesn’t actually effect me simply because the melee dodge style is so damn fun and the game is so obviously created around this style that it feels perfect for it. So while the game has less customizability than Dark Souls, this allowed for a much more focused creation that I think works really damn well. Infact I would love to see what else they could make if they did another souls style game but maybe focused purely on magic.

Dark Souls 2

OK, I made a LTTP thread on this and made my opinion clear there but when I first played it it felt flawed to me. I was kind of down on it. I found it rather easy and certain design decisions felt a step back from what I remembered Dark Souls being. However I also stated that I could have just been spoiled by Bloodborne and be looking at Dark Souls with Rose tinted glasses. So my alpha arrived the other day and I have had a chance to go back a play a few hours of Dark Souls so I can compare it better and maybe re-evaluate a few things about Dark Souls 2.

Firstly I still feel the game has these key issues.
• The controls feel off. There are huge dead zones on the ds4 controller that really effect your movement in a negative way.
• The level design is all over the place, one level is tiny, looks ugly and more grief traps than fun then the next is actually large and interesting with a lot of secrets to find. They don’t blend into each other with any logic at all. However we also know this is mainly due to its development troubles.
• To many similar bosses with very similar movesets.
• The hit boxes and hit detection is kind of a mess in places (see below).

6884Gn.gif

VOOKr5.gif

I originally thought the game was too easy as well but I don’t think that is a fair complaint. After playing Dark Souls and a shit ton of Bloodborne I think I just know how to play these games now. It was only ever Dark Souls I found rather hard in places but really that’s just because I didn’t know what the hell I was doing. Last night I made a new char and very easily made my way through to the bonfire after the fire bridge. Even killed that black knight with just an un-upgraded spear and shield. So I take back complaining it’s to easy. It’s just like any game out there. It’s just easy when you know how. Also go watch Brad and Vinny from giant bomb play this game and it really makes you realise why people find these games hard lol.

Out of all my original issues it’s those 4 that stick and I feel are fair complaints. However playing some of the original Dark Souls really made me appreciate some of the quality of life improvements they made in Dark Souls 2.

• The rolling is a lot better (once you up your adaptability). In Dark Souls 1 you medium roll at 25% carry weight which is basically a fat roll. In Dark Souls 2 you can get a decent roll up to 70%. This allows you a much higher freedom in armour and weapon choice while still having a decent roll. You can also roll in more than 4 directions when locked on in DS2.
• I prefere the teleporting bonfires from the beginning. They aren’t the reason for the weaker level design. Bloodborne has this exact same mechanic yet still had fantastic levels that twisted around themselves and were amazing to explore. The DLC levels prove this as well.
• Being able to respec. Sometimes you spend 10 hours making a build you just aren’t enjoying. I was making a mage and finding it boring. Thanks to this I got to repsec to melee with some magic and it made the game a fair bit more fun for me.
• I actually like the fact that durability matters now. Either have it matter or remove it because how it is in Dark Souls and Bloodborne was entirely pointless.
• The coop and PVP is a lot better. I’m not a huge fan of the PVP in these games but I like helping people with bosses once I am done with them and that feels pretty well done in this game.
• The DLC was actually really good. I did 2 of the 3 so far. The one with the Fume knight and the ivory king one. Both had really interesting levels to traverse and explore. Both had more interesting bosses with the Fume Knight being the toughest and Ivory king being the most interesting due to the whole knight allies thing.
• After finally using it I liked the torch mechanic. I didn’t really even use it until about half way through the game so I am tempted to try a new run and make more use of it in some of the earlier areas.

So I have come around a bit on this game. Some of its flaws still grate on me but there is enough improvements there over the original to make it a pretty great game still. I let them get me really down on it for the first 80% of my playthrough but towards the end of my playthrough and then after the DLC and having completed my character build I started to appreciate what it does better. Then after playing a bit of the first Dark Souls again I can appreciate even more about it. After all I don’t keep playing a game for long if I am not getting any fun out of it and I ended up with over 40 hours in this so far.

I have had a bit of a roller coaster ride with this one with almost quitting it several times to rather enjoying it by the very end. I’m considering buying the none scholar version for my PC so I can try it with the old enemy layout but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea or not. On the plus side I hear I would be able to mod out the dead zones on the controller issues I have with the PS4 version.

So on to what I hope for Dark Souls 3. I would love a blend of all three to be honest. The clever level design and world of Dark souls 1 (up to O&S). The more focused design and speed of Bloodborne and a healthy dose of these quality of life improvements that came with Dark Souls 2. I also think that the bosses in BB are some of the best designed in the series but they are also tailored to BB faster gameplay style.

How about you guys? You want it to be more like DS1? more like DS2? more streamlined like BB?

About Dark Souls 2 hitboxes, I completely agree.

Fuck Velstad. Awful fucking hitboxes. His bell hammer has about half a meter clearance on each side to still be able to hit you.

Hated that boss, especially since he was gating one of the most interesting parts of the game behind him.

Try and play Demons Souls and know true pain.

But Demon's Souls is the easiest Souls game

Ratrat

So on to what I hope for Dark Souls 3. I would love a blend of all three to be honest. The clever level design and world of Dark souls 1 (up to O&S). The more focused design and speed of Bloodborne and a healthy dose of these quality of life improvements that came with Dark Souls 2. I also think that the bosses in BB are some of the best designed in the series but they are also tailored to BB faster gameplay style.

I think this is exactly what DS3 will end up being. The combat looks heavily revamped with Bloodbornes style and even the art seems to to have leaked in as well. The bosses we've already seen look as awesome as you could hope for. I just hope the level design is less Bloodborne and more DS2 DLC. And btw Sunken Crown(the one you skipped!) is the best one.

edit: Since some have brought up Demon's Souls, Kings Field IV is also really worth playing if you love the art/atmosphere/level design of Fromsofts games.

It looks like DS3 will be a return to DS1 with some Bloodborne influences. Sounds fine to me. If there's anything they have to take from DS2 it's the online functionality.

- J - D -

The moment I discovered that there was no way to compare your weapons/armor with that of a merchant's, I knew DS2 and I had gotten off on bad terms and that this relationship would never recover.

Arttemis

I can't get into DS2 at all because the movement and combat feel so wrong. It's like I'm ice skating across the game.

If DS3 feels and looks like Bloodborne with Souls design, then it might be game of the decade for me. I loved DS and loved Bloodborne, so here's to a couple more months until we find out!

poncle

If DS3 plays anything like Bloodborne, I hope they've changed the level design accordingly. A more action based gameplay requires more space to move.

I think this is exactly what DS3 will end up being. The combat looks heavily revamped with Bloodbornes style and even the art seems to to have leaked in as well. The bosses we've already seen look as awesome as you could hope for. I just hope the level design is less Bloodborne and more DS2 DLC. And btw Sunken Crown(the one you skipped!) is the best one.

what? no thanks. bloodborne/demon's level design please

Ratrat

what? no thanks. bloodborne/demon's level design please

Bloodborne looks cool but its just running around and around and pulling levers. DS2 dlc was full of neat gimmicks. Hidden switches, ghost statues, moving platforms, rotating doors, smelter wedges, breaking walls with bombs, ice melting to unlock new areas etc.

But Demon's Souls has really great level design too.
edit: yes, definitely do not return to a mandatory hub to quick travel. That shit needs to go.

I haven't played DS2 yet, but I found Bloodborne way easier to get into Dark Souls and I always assumed it was a combination of it being faster and overall more easy. I should probably give DS a proper shot now that I've sunk so much time into BB and work my way up to DS3 next year. I definitely found parrying a lot easier in BB than in the DS games.

Though I also sort of feel like BB's world is far more appealing than Dark Souls' was, but I guess that's more a subjective issue and I tend to like goofy Halloween Town style shit anyhow.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Just give me a mixture of dark souls and Demon Souls. Really didnt enjoy bloodborne that much ( lack of area variety, weapon/armour variety and boring enemy designs IMO)

DS1 were godlike, but unfortunately Demon Souls is the only one i have not played. Wouldnt mind some super wacked out area designs like from dark souls 2.

Gun Animal

what y'all are ignoring is that Bloodbourne is just as interconnected as Dark Souls. The only parts of the world that don't eventually lead back to Central Yharnam are the DLC area and Cainhurst, IIRC. You return to the dream to level up and repair/upgrade things, but you've got a hub for that in all the Souls games too. Only Dark Souls 1 bothered to spread the useful merchants out a bit, which was a nice touch and something I hope returns.

What are you talking about?
How is BB not open enough?

he's talking about hunter's dream. ie. having a really small area like BB or DeS where you teleport to the various levels vs. a hub(ish) world in which you can travel to each area like DaS1 and 2

Manu

Just give me a mixture of dark souls and Demon Souls. Really didnt enjoy bloodborne that much ( lack of area variety, weapon/armour variety and boring enemy designs IMO)

If enemy designs in Bloodborne are boring, I guess every game has extra-boring enemy design.

he's talking about hunter's dream. ie. having a really small area like BB or DeS where you teleport to the various levels vs. a hub(ish) world in which you can travel to each area like DaS1 and 2

This is confirmed to be in DS3 as well.

Gun Animal

BB spoils
the dream technically has a physical location in the world, but the real and dream versions are seperate for story reasons, much like the seperation between the DLC areas and their corresponding locations in the "real" world.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
If enemy designs in Bloodborne are boring, I guess every game has extra-boring enemy design.

Maybe boring was the wrong term to use, but gothic horror and victorian London are probably my least favourite aesthetic designs in both environments and enemies so the games look was the least appealing thing to me ever

Maybe boring was the wrong term to use, but gothic horror and victorian London are probably my least favourite aesthetic designs in both environments and enemies so the games look was the least appealing thing to me ever

This is all part of bloodbornes more focused game design. It will draw in people who are a fan of that style more so but will push people away who aren't.

The dark souls areas are more varied and so might have areas that appeal to more people as a whole but you are also more likely to have people enjoying parts of the game and hating other parts.

I love bloodbornes enemy and area design but I don't want dark souls 3 to copy it. Would rather it be its own thing.

Idealy I would rather this game wasn't the third in a series but another souls like game being more focused in a different direction to bloodborne. That way we get something familiar but fresh at the same time (how I felt about bloodborne). But that's not going to happen I don't think.

myco666

But Bloodborne has same kind of structure as DaS1 where you can walk from everywhere to anywhere (except for Cainhurst as you have to warp there for second visit and dream).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
BB is interconnected like Dark Souls. Cathedral War and nearby Central area go into everything.

DaS2 is more like a traditional game level where you go from a to b to c to d, the only difference being at the start it branches so you can go drom a to e to f or a to g to h to i to j.

Thats not to downplay das2's sometimes neat levels. Really loved the Iron Keep. But BB clearly seems more in line with DaS1's approach to stuff looping back on top and below one another.

Just bought DS2: SOTFS the other day after getting to the final boss of the Old Hunter DLC. I went full on dumbass and am playing a dual Caestus run. It is definitely a fun game but jeez, those hitboxes. Makes the Pursuer fight so irritating when you dodge the thrust that curses you and the game decides that you didn't. Still a really great game but definitely not on BB/DS/DeS level.

aravuus

Dark Souls 2 online functionality without the soul memory bullshit is all I ask, multiplayer was a fuckton of fun and helping others and getting help was definitely my high point with the game, everything else should be along the lines of DkS1. Didn't really like Bloodborne so I'd rather they don't take many elements from there. Maybe the horror stuff? It was a bit more interesting than anything Dark Souls has offered, but I don't really care about lore or story with Souls.

e: oh yeah, and I want the soul ring from DkS2 that made you keep your souls when you died and could be repaired easily. Not losing souls upon death made me enjoy the game quite a lot more.

Kssio_Aug

The level design in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne weren't bad, so I'm okay with any approach they choose between those for DS3. Can't tell about DS2 cause I haven't played it. If I had to vote in that aspect, I'd say in terms of level design: DeS > DS > BB; but they're all good.

I'm quite confident about Dark Souls 3. It seems they took the right inspirations from Bloodborne gameplay and aesthetics without running away from what made Dark Souls a great game. I'm totally fine with a bit more faster gameplay as much as they keep the DS combat feel and the build/weapon/gear varieties, and it seems they're aware of that.

Vorg

Banned
I've only played the ps4 version of ds2 and while I'm enjoying it, it's full of aggravating shit like enemy mobs, obnoxious traps, phantom enemies you can't lock on to, wacky hit boxes, shitty levels... You name it. You can tell the game didn't have the same level of thought and care put into it as the other souls games. That said, it's still a great game but you always have to play with those things in mind.

What do I want from Dark Souls 3? Hmm...
1. Relatively huge interconnected world - and without warping. I want to have freedom to run to any boss in the game right from the start, to get that specific item or weapon any time I wanted to - provided of course that I have necessary skills and knowledge to do so.
2. Slow, more tactical combat - where you shouldn't rely on reflexes as much as in Bloodborne
3. Variety in character building - and game design that supports it. My biggest problem with say Fume Knight was that it was almost impossible to defeat him using shield - you had to dodge, it was clearly tuned for dodges only.
4. Variety in tools of the trade - and again, game design supporting it. I don't want to jump through hoops to farm for chunks and gems just to try this new cool-looking item.
5. Less random stuff - randomly generated drops in BB (like gems) was a really boring idea, especially in the beginning. Chalice dungeons weren't fun either.
6. Different locations - I'm pretty sure we'll see another iteration of poisonous swamps and forsaken castles in DS3. However, in DS1 almost every location has its own very unique "thing" - like darkness in Tombs, traps in Sen, invisible floors in Crystal Caves and so on. That is something that I very much like to return in DS3.
7. Less difficulty for the sake of difficulty - enemies doesn't have to have shitton of health and damage to be fun, interesting and engaging.
8. Less restrictions on player in general - from Soul Memory in DS2 to strange PVP system in BB, all of these systems weren't exactly fun.

So, more of DS1 in general, I guess!

What do I want from Dark Souls 3? Hmm...
1. Relatively huge interconnected world - and without teleportation. I want to have freedom to run to any boss of the game right from the start, to get that specific item or weapon any time I wanted to - provided of course that I have necessary skills and knowledge to do it.
2. Slow, more tactical combat - where you shouldn't rely on reflexes as much as in Bloodbourne
3. Variety in character building - and game design that supports it. My biggest problem with say Fume Knight was that it was almost impossible to defeat using shield - you had to dodge, it was clearly tuned for dodges only.
4. Variety in tools of the trade - and again, game design supporting it. I don't want to jump through hoops to farm for chunks and gems just to try this new cool-looking item.
5. Less random stuff - randomly generated drops in BB (like gems) was a really boring idea, especially in the beginning. Chalice dungeons weren't fun either.
6. Different locations - I'm pretty sure we'll see another iteration of poisonous swamps and forsaken castles in DS3. However, in DS1 almost every location has its own very unique "thing" - like darkness in Tombs, traps in Sen, invisible floors in Crystal Caves and so on. That is something that I very much like to return in DS3.
7. Less difficulty for the sake of difficulty - enemies doesn't have to have shitton of health and damage to be fun, interesting and engaging.
8. Less restrictions on player in general - from Soul Memory in DS2 to strange PVP system in BB, all of these systems weren't exactly fun

So, more of DS1 in general, I guess!

I like your point 2. I love bloodbornes combat but only because the game is tailored specifically to it. I have never been to keep on dodge only in dark souls. I like a combination of dodge and shield. It feels right for the game to me.

I always felt darksouls was steared more towards shield and one handed combat the most. This is why no shield is prob the hardest method to use and magic is the easiest. Shieldless is dropping an entire defence option while magic allows you to avoid the melee altogether. It's hard to balance a system that suits all styles though which DS at least tries to do. So I think even if it is a bit faster ds3 will still keep this philosophy. At least I hope it does.

Top Bottom