• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Dark Universe' Core Creative Alex Kurtzman May Leave The Franchise

Kurtzman's one of the Craptastic Four (along with Orci, Kruger and Goldsman). He should've NEVER been put as the creative head of something as "important" as a Universal Monsters CU.

I think there can be a Universal Monsters CU, but Universal is going at it all the wrong ways. they are playing it up as a "super hero" franchise to chase Marvel's CU. Everybody wants that MCU acclaim and money, nobody wants to WORK for it. Also, maybe work with what strengths you have. Universal Monsters were originally horror movies. Play that up instead trying to ape the super hero trend. That would sure as hell make it stand out among MCU and DCCU.

Get Zack Snyder on the phone.

Zack could turn this into a masterpiece. I want to see him direct a monster pic. Get him on the phone.

As a big horror fan and a fan of the Universal Monsters.... HELL NO! I don't trust Snyder with creative control either. He's good with making movies "look cool" and flashy, but if that's the case, might as well call fuckin' Michael Bay (please, don't).

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I seriously think a cinematic universe for the Universal monsters can be done well both creatively and commercially, but not like this. They need to be actual horror films, and the monsters can't be the heroes.

Godzilla/Kong are on to something, even though I think those films are weak for totally different reasons.

Oh come on. Kong eats a giant squid. He uses a boat propeller as a chain weilded weapon. What's not to like?

Time for the return of

Stephen Sommers

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Oh my god, he's involved with Star Trek: Discovery?

When will the world be free of this dude.

All this Kurtzman derision is so laughable to me. I remember reading his draft of Zorro and it was straight up amazing. Fringe was awesome. Guy has serious skills. Maybe he's phoned it in recently but when he cares, he creates incredible genre fiction.

Oh my god, he's involved with Star Trek: Discovery?

When will the world be free of this dude.

In Hollywood you fail upwards. Dude fucking ruined Star Trek and Spider-Man with his scripts and they responded by giving him the director's chair to launch a new major film franchise. After this, I totally expect him to become President of Sony Pictures or some shit.

Unit 33

I'm ignorant, does Universal have any practical ownership of these characters?

I remeber something about 'The Invisible Man' in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film being credited as 'an invisible man' to avoid some kind of intellectual property issues.

Toa TAK

Banned
Dawn of the Dead alone does not make me want Snyder doing this Dark Universe thing (even though, yes, it's easily one of the best remakes and monster movies ever. EVER).

wait it did? i only saw s1 and 2

is it really done? and it ended poorly? damn

Didn't mean to break it to you like this.

Tom_Cody

The Mummy has made over $400M at this point, so the Dark Universe will probably continue in one form or another.

Swapping out Kurtzman seems like a natural way for Universal to alter public perception of the project. James Wan would be a natural choice. Or maybe James DeMonaco, the Purge guy.

I remeber something about 'The Invisible Man' in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film being credited as 'an invisible man' to avoid some kind of intellectual property issues.
Aren't these characters public domain?

Public domain, Universal just has the iconic classic versions.

Funny thing is, I think something like this is a good fit for him.

The edge and angst are kind of built into these properties, and the gritty gloss he likes to traffic in is kind of appropriate for a action monster movie.

Slayven

Movies:
Mission Impossible 3(writer)

TV:
Fringe(co-creator)
Hawaii 5-0(co-developer)
Sleepy Hollow (co-creator)[originally was good]
There could be a boot written about how they fucked the chicken with that show

A logo no one was particularly impressed with, if I'm remembering audience reaction correctly.

Even Elfman's music for that sucked.

I remember every review i heard or read said they groaned when they saw that

Wait, that boring logo was shown at the start of the Mummy pic? Or was it only for press/early screenings? Cause if it was in the actual release then LOL

As a big horror fan and a fan of the Universal Monsters.... HELL NO! I don't trust Snyder with creative control either. He's good with making movies "look cool" and flashy, but if that's the case, might as well call fuckin' Michael Bay (please, don't).

Dawn of the Dead.

There could be a boot written about how they fucked the chicken with that show
Biggest show collapse since Heroes, however unlike that you could see the collapse happening minute to minute in the episodes themselves.

At one point is was right there under POI as my second favorite thing on tv.

Toa TAK

Banned
I remember every review i heard or read said they groaned when they saw that
YUP. Like I said, I can't speak for everyone, but that's how it went down in my screening.
Wait, that boring logo was shown at the start of the Mummy pic? Or was it only for press/early screenings? Cause if it was in the actual release then LOL

It's there and the transition to it is as uninspired as it looks.

I even gave The Mummy a second chance when my brother asked me to see it with him,
figured maybe if I did't pay for it I can get some enjoyment...

Nope, though everything before the plane was fine I guess.

Fury451

Banned
Is anyone really optimistic about the outlook of this "franchise". Dracula Untold and Mummy haven't exactly paved the way for a "franchise".

I suspect that the Hasbro shared universe franchise will fail just as spectacularly.

Untold isn't part of this.

But to your point, no. They put the cart before the horse.

I seriously think a cinematic universe for the Universal monsters can be done well both creatively and commercially, but not like this. They need to be actual horror films, and the monsters can't be the heroes.

Godzilla/Kong are on to something, even though I think those films are weak for totally different reasons.
True, they need to take their time but everyone wanna rush and get that marvel money. It's the same shit like when everyone was chasing cod money.

Slayven

Biggest show collapse since Heroes, however unlike that you could see the collapse happening minute to minute in the episodes themselves.

At one point is was right there under POI as my second favorite thing on tv.
The show runners went out of their way to piss off the fanbase for no reason whats so ever
It's one of the most perfect visual representations of putting the cart before the horse

In the future when the descendants of man are huddled over fires in the ruins of cities, they will speak to their children of this as a cautionary tale.

Top Bottom