• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
One thing I noticed, again from very short time with it (I did like 2 runs so far), was that a lot of the skills you can unlock on the characters arent as good as the ones they start with. Or, well, they seem to serve other purposes I guess, like turn a ranged guy to a more melee guy.

Starting skills are random : )

One thing I noticed, again from very short time with it (I did like 2 runs so far), was that a lot of the skills you can unlock on the characters arent as good as the ones they start with. Or, well, they seem to serve other purposes I guess, like turn a ranged guy to a more melee guy.

Starting skills are randomized, and as such, they're generally more sidegrades; some skills work better with certain builds than others.

-MD-

The skills characters start with are random.

Edit: beaten...

Skills are random at level 0.

It's about interaction and zone. Some zones have enemies that tend to use different abilities. Also trinkets you get will help further modify your characters to suit different roles. There's not really inherently better skills, they usually just have trade offs or are situational.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If a dude with some loot on him (those talismans and whatnot) dies, do you lose the loot or do you get it back to use on someone else?

Iryx

If a dude with some loot on him (those talismans and whatnot) dies, do you lose the loot or do you get it back to use on someone else?

You get the loot back if you win the fight, the trinkets get added to the loot afterwards.

Finally got the 16 lb brigand down, and now the way to the darkest dungeon is open.

He was by FAR the most difficult out of all the champion bosses for me. I'm surprised I got it since the collector showed up in the last fucking room before the boss.

Went with a Vestal/Highwayman/Crusader/Hellion combo, basically I just took as many adds down each turn as possible and prayed the cannon would only spawn 2 enemies.

The lighter enemy will spawn each turn regardless, but you can luck out and just get the lighter dude, or the lighter dude and one other. Which makes it much easier to dps the cannon itself down that turn.

I tried doing the marking tactic and only taking out the lighter but I was just getting rekt by the musketeer and dual dagger bandit with slice and dice. One tactic that could work possibly is if he spawns a fatty, if he spawns a fatty then he'll only call the lighter each turn but you would need to stun lock the fatty with a group loaded with +stun% trinkets and they would have to be a group with range.

It was a fight of attrition but I'm glad I got that boss down finally.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
available quests in locations change each week? one of the locations had 3 I could choose, now it only has 1

Rhaknar

Week 6, no deaths yet, but every run is so stressing (no pun intended lol). This is addicting so far, has that "1 more run" thing going

Im not sure if I should be bringing some rookies with me on these quests to level them up, like I did with Xcom lol. always took 1 rookie

edit: and of course my best guy is my first death lol

Just thought that I'd point out that if your gonna send one of your guys to the bar to blow some steam.. Unequip any trinkets they have, because they can lose them....... permanently.....

Avinexus

Just thought that I'd point out that if your gonna send one of your guys to the bar to blow some steam.. Unequip any trinkets they have, because they can lose them....... permanently.....

That takes a random trinket out of your total trinket inventory, not just that one characters inventory. Either way, don't waste resources using that building or upgrading it. The Abbey won't lose you a trinket and serves the same purpose.

Rhaknar

That takes a random trinket out of your total trinket inventory, not just that one characters inventory. Either way, don't waste resources using that building or upgrading it. The Abbey won't lose you a trinket and serves the same purpose.

welp >_>

so, I think im playing the game "wrong", im trying to keep a balanced roster but now veteran missions are popping up that say they are for rank 3, and I dont even have any rank 3 guys yet because ive been leveling all my peeps, so I have a bunch of s and a few 2s :/

Fuck the shuffling horror, lost a legendary abom, man at arms, and jester. And I lost trophy trinkets that you can't replace. Fucking bullshit fight..... Was doing just fine except he gets like four fucking actions per turn, and I'm guessing you can't resist his move shuffle.

giphy.gif

kionedrik

welp >_>

so, I think im playing the game "wrong", im trying to keep a balanced roster but now veteran missions are popping up that say they are for rank 3, and I dont even have any rank 3 guys yet because ive been leveling all my peeps, so I have a bunch of s and a few 2s :/

Nothing wrong with that, I do it myself. I find it better to keep everyone around the same level as it increases the available combos and allows for some experimentation. Plus there's no advantage in having a super high level squad and a bunch o newbies around.

The dungeon level is just a guideline. You can take 1s and 2s on veteran runs although it probably isn't the best idea, unless you are feeling courageous and/or have the blacksmith and guild upgraded to match the enemy's equipment and abilities.

Rhaknar

Nothing wrong with that, I do it myself. I find it better to keep everyone around the same level as it increases the available combos and allows for some experimentation. Plus there's no advantage in having a super high level squad and a bunch o newbies around.

The dungeon level is just a guideline. You can take 1s and 2s on veteran runs although it probably isn't the best idea, unless you are feeling courageous and/or have the blacksmith and guild upgraded to match the enemy's equipment and abilities.

will the level 1 quests still pop up? I was afraid it would all become veteran soon enough and I would be screwed

Aureon

Though, really, is there any use for the Bar?
Competition for Portraits is harsher than for Busts, since Portraits drop in 3s and upgrade the Guild, which is a priority over the Sanitarium.

And the Abbey costs the same, and carries less harsh penalties (Some bad traits, against the risk of losing trinkets and gold in the bar)

Rhaknar

Though, really, is there any use for the Bar?
Competition for Portraits is harsher than for Busts, since Portraits drop in 3s and upgrade the Guild, which is a priority over the Sanitarium.

And the Abbey costs the same, and carries less harsh penalties (Some bad traits, against the risk of losing trinkets and gold in the bar)

well some dudes only want to go to the bar. unless you remove that quirk I guess

Rhaknar

i meant upgrading it : )

Ah ha!

Dont you eventually upgrade everything anyway? That was the perception I got from watching the quicklool, Alex was even dropping the heirlooms because they were useless since he had everything maxed.

Aureon

Ah ha!

Dont you eventually upgrade everything anyway? That was the perception I got from watching the quicklool, Alex was even dropping the heirlooms because they were useless since he had everything maxed.

There's a gold cost to taking heirlooms home, since any and all medium-long runs are going to be inventory fills, especially if you run around catching some curios at empty torch after finishing fights.

Rhaknar

I did my first long run earlier. Shit is so stressful. Kinda loving this game and I don't even particulary enjoy hard games (I say that with the Souls series being my current favorite all time favorite series).

Question: is this a game where if I completely fuck up and lose all my best guys, I can always come back because of the meta town upgrade system, kinda like Rogue Legacy?

I dont think I could start over like 20 hours down the line (I have about 5 now) :/

I did my first long run earlier. Shit is so stressful. Kinda loving this game and I dint even particulary enjoy hard games (I say that with the Souls series being my current favorite all time favorite series).

Question: is this a game where if I completely fuck up and lose all my best guys, I can always come back because of the meta town upgrade system, kinda like Rogue Legacy?

I dont think I could start over like 20 hours down the line (I have about 5 now) :/

Yeah. There's not really any way to truly, permanently lose. Even losing your entire roster and all of your cash can be recovered from, though it'd be a real pain in the ass.

Falk

that puzzling face
When you've close to max Guild/BS upgrades, it's far more affordable to kit out new guys too.

Rhaknar

Have they said anything about dlc? New classes or areas?

Whar about mods, is the game mod friendly?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Every time I start playing this game I feel like I'm doing good and then a get a seemingly bad string of rolls that absolutely wrecks my party and I put the game down again for awhile. Not sure that I'd call it a hard game so much as a capricious one.

Rhaknar

Is this a free update?

Yeah, although it's unclear if the Musketeer will be for kickstarter backers only or not. I think they've said it will be available to everyone.

They have said they have dlc planned for the future but I imagine that's a ways down the road.

Rhaknar

Yeah, although it's unclear if the Musketeer will be for kickstarter backers only or not. I think they've said it will be available to everyone.

They have said they have dlc planned for the future but I imagine that's a ways down the road.

Sweet, the various classes is one of my favorite things about the game.

DrArchon

So today I learned that you can fight the Collector in apprentice (lvl 1/green) missions. That was a nice thing to teach me, Darkest Dungeon. You really didn't need to teach me two times in a row though.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with that? First two runs of the day I say to myself "I need to get these Arbalests of mine to lvl 2 so I can use them against the 8-Pounder". So I take the fresh recruits into 2 medium apprentice missions, and low and behold the fucking Collector shows up both times and offs a character each time, one of the Arbalests and an Occultist. I killed him both times and even then all I got was some shitty gold, which I immediately spent to de-stress the remaining 3 guys that had to run away screaming. I'm 55 fucking weeks in and I've never seen the Collector outside of yellow missions. Is this new? Is this because I'm 50+ weeks in? It's really shitty to fight him with any number of lvl 1 heroes, but I don't know how else I'm gonna level them up.

Is this a free update?

It's DLC in the sense that they had a deadline and could not get everything in the game in time.

But since it is an indie game, nobody dares say "cut content".

lol

(btw that's not a jab at Red Hook)

And guys.

Reynauld just died.

How do I load my last game?

What is the save game trick?

Aureon

So today I learned that you can fight the Collector in apprentice (lvl 1/green) missions. That was a nice thing to teach me, Darkest Dungeon. You really didn't need to teach me two times in a row though.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with that? First two runs of the day I say to myself "I need to get these Arbalests of mine to lvl 2 so I can use them against the 8-Pounder". So I take the fresh recruits into 2 medium apprentice missions, and low and behold the fucking Collector shows up both times and offs a character each time, one of the Arbalests and an Occultist. I killed him both times and even then all I got was some shitty gold, which I immediately spent to de-stress the remaining 3 guys that had to run away screaming. I'm 55 fucking weeks in and I've never seen the Collector outside of yellow missions. Is this new? Is this because I'm 50+ weeks in? It's really shitty to fight him with any number of lvl 1 heroes, but I don't know how else I'm gonna level them up.

Collector spawns if you hang around too much with a full inventory.
You can also just run away.

Falk

that puzzling face
And guys.

Reynauld just died.

How do I load my last game?

What is the save game trick?

I haven't done this, so I can't attest if it works but I'm assuming since it's on PC you'd just make a backup of the save directory.

RIP@U if they're already dead though.

Rhaknar

In the giantbomb quicklook they get a prompt about a secret room but they never find it, what did they miss? What are you supposed to do?

gryvan

In the giantbomb quicklook they get a prompt about a secret room but they never find it, what did they miss? What are you supposed to do?

Last time I did that, your suppose to stand where the star is and then click W so that your actually going in.

From the tutorials apparently you need a key but...I opened the chest without it and still got an ancestral item.

kionedrik

Last time I did that, your suppose to stand where the star is and then click W so that your actually going in.

From the tutorials apparently you need a key but...I opened the chest without it and still got an ancestral item.

You can open the secret chest without any keys but the real juicy treasure requires one.

Rhaknar

i guess most people played this in early access and not so much now on release? Thread seems... slow :)

Killed my first boss with a team of level 2s, kinda destroyed it really. I have access to the other 3 bosses now, but Ive been mostly ranking up my lowbies

JJD

I've found the secret room 6 times now, but I only got items in the first 3. I got the severed heads from the collector. Now I only find the crystal he drops.

I guess you have been lucky. I find the collector all the time. Lost counts of how many times I fought him when I was still doing green missions.

Thankfully I never lost anyone to him, but in the beginning I usually had to abandon the quest.

DrArchon

Collector spawns if you hang around too much with a full inventory.
You can also just run away.

Weird. I end up with a full inventory on tons of missions and I barely ever see him. He's not that tough really, it's just that with lvl 0 dudes he's a pain in the ass.

I almost never run away from fights, so I'll try to remember that I can for the next time.

Rhaknar

Never seen this colector. Almost had my first full wipe this morning, I only had 2 guys survive because I managed to lock these 2 fuckers in the back rows where thye constantly passed their turns.

Cultist heal is cool but I actually killed someone with it from the bleed lol.

Edit: still dont have a Jester or a Bounty Hunter, I think its the only classes I havent seen yet. I got my first Abom today

Just tried my first level 3 dungeon and lost my crusader. Damn. The quest was to purify 3 idols or something. I got two of them but ran across a very high level variant of the big fat brigand guy with the whip. He lashed my whole party to death's door and his crossbow wielding toady finished off poor Marisco.

I had to abandon the quest. Bad feel. But we will be back.

Top Bottom