• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darumeshi Sports Store (JP eshop 3DS) - A baseball game of a different kind

This game is weird.

It is essentially a F2P title, but one in which you can negotiate the price with the in-game store keeper.

You play as your Mii. The game starts by entering Darumeshi Sports Store run by Inuji Darumeshi, a 10 year-old dog (56 in human years) and former professional baseball player. He welcomes you and gives you a boiled egg, his favourite food, as a gift for coming to his store. Inuji is in a bad place- his wife has left him and his store is failing. Children no longer want to play his beloved sport of baseball, instead choosing to play inside.

But Inuji had an idea - he went to Hontendo (the game specifically differentiates it from Nintendo) to get a "4DS" and some baseball games to sell. Gosh darn it, if the kids aren't going to play baseball outside, they damn well will on their 4DS.

For listening to his story his gives you a 4DS and a demo of one of the baseball games.

Then, he tells you how hard it is raising ten kids without his wife around. So, you offer to look after one. The kids' names vary, but other than that they look exactly the same, but you are able to pick which one you want.

You take the kid back to your home and play the baseball demo, by climbing inside the 4DS and running along the cable to the TV.

The baseball game was simple - hit A when the ball comes. You get points for your timing - one, two, or three points. You get three dead balls before 'Game Over'. Each challenge requires a certain number of points to complete it. You get a grade based on your performance, which earns you stamps. Collecting enough stamps earns you items, like boiled eggs, and nose hair trimmers.

There are 6 challenges in the demo, but the kid informs me that there are 50 challenges in the 'full game'. There are different types of challenge - one had two ball machines shooting at me, one was nothing but trick shots. Each had 5 levels of difficulty.

Oh, did I mention that once practise is over the seemingly regular ball machines stand up and are effectively men dressed in full suits with the ball machines for heads.

Yeah. It's one of those games.

Once done with all the challenges, you emerge from the 4DS (which looks shockingly like a large 3DS). Magic or technology allows the items you collected in-game to be transferred to the real world. Of the game.

You then go back to the sports store and talk with Inuji. He shows off his full collection of titles - 10 in total. All variations on baseball - some are hitting, some catching, some aiming, some bat making. Each games costs 400 yen (or about US$4). This is paid for in real money - not fake in-game money as Inuji points out - from the eshop balance.

You can, with the help of the child you picked, negotiate the price. You do this by using the boiled eggs you collected from getting stamps, as well as the items. For example, I let him use my nose hair trimmers to clear up his prominent nose hairs (Do dogs have nose hairs?) and got 100 yen (or about US$1) off the price. You can keep negotiating. If you have enough items and patience you might even be able to get the game(s) for free, but I'm not sure. Certainly, the better you are at the games, the more stamps/items you would get and the more you would have to negotiate with.

The website informs me there are also coupons you can get, which would give you some money off (the site lists 10, 30, and 50 yen).

The game uses Chinese characters extensively and without readings, which is uncommon for a Nintendo game, and says to me that this is intended for an older audience than most of their titles. As does the story of Inuji's separation and the fact that you could spend as much as 4,000 yen on the title getting all the games. It's also spoken in a heavy Kansai dialect, which is very different to traditional Japanese taught in schools and colleges. It's the language of Kyoto though, where Nintendo is located. And the beleaguered salesman with a Kansai accent is almost a trope in Japan.

The game is interesting, and I'm going to do my best to play through it and see how little I can spend. This is obviously from the SPD group at Nintendo EAD - it has a simillar tone and humor to WarioWare and Game & Wario, but slightly more mature. It's certainly weird to have a Nintendo game asking you to cough up money, just as unnerving as the Rabbit in StreetPass Plaza asking about the StreetPass games was lately.

Here is the site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/jbcj/index.html

The game was announced in the Nintendo Direct yesterday and is available now on Japanese 3DS' eshop for free. No launch plans for the West have been announced.

top_about_chara.png

top_about_img_01.png
play_pic_g01.png

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Wow. Sounds absolutely insane (in a good way.)
I very much doubt this will get localised but you never know.

wsippel

Banned
I don't know what to think. It sounds fucking weird, but also kinda awesome, and like an interesting take on F2P. But there are very few things in the universe I find less interesting than baseball, so there's that. And it sounds like it has a snowball's chance in hell to ever leave Japan in the first place.

Incidentally, Darumeshi comes from the Japanese word for Dalmatian: Darumeshian (ダルメシアン).

This is one of the most intresting games I've heard of. Not just the negotiation of the prices but the mature story and weird set-up. Now I'm really sad since this game will never come to the West.

I don't know what to think. It sounds fucking weird, but also kinda awesome, and like an interesting take on F2P.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. Weird, but fascinating.

But there are very few things in the universe I find less interesting than baseball, so there's that.

I hate baseball. Or, I hate watching baseball. I'm surprised they didn't try to mix it up a little with the game selection - why not have multiple sports?

But then again, I'm pretty sure baseball is the most popular sport in Japan, so I guess it makes sense.

And it sounds like it has a snowball's chance in hell to ever leave Japan in the first place.

I'd be very surprised if it does. Well, no, I'd be surprised. I don't expect it, but they may bring it over.

Here's some footage from NintenDaan: http://youtu.be/H3p-Q6s_zHA

M3d10n

A FP2 game where you can haggle? Bizarre, but interesting. The rabbit in the new Mii Plaza Street Pass was also strange: it's the first time I saw a game trying to sell me DLC by having a character actually take the role of a clerk like that. His sad expression when I said "no" was unsettling.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I was thinking it was the Wii Sports EAD team dropping the Wii U for this. It could also be Sakamoto's SPD team or Kawamoto's
SPD team since they bailed out of Band Brothers 3DS (IS took over development).

But then the logo looks very similar to that weird Caibit Soccer Nintendo published game. But then again a Nintendo SPD guy probably did the logo anyway. There is also no other copyright but Nintendo's on this one.

So I did some haggling and couldn't get the price of the first game below 200 yen. In fact, the game tells you quite bluntly the price won't go lower than that.

I was thinking it was the Wii Sports EAD team dropping the Wii U for this. It could also be Sakamoto's SPD team or Kawamoto's
SPD team since they bailed out of Band Brothers 3DS (IS took over development).

But then the logo looks very similar to that weird Caibit Soccer Nintendo published game. But then again a Nintendo SPD guy probably did the logo anyway. There is also no other copyright but Nintendo's on this one.

The game feels very SPD, I have to say. I did think maybe Wii Sports at first, but everything from the humor to the use of Miis screams SPD to me.

BriBri

This is very much looking like my eShop game of the year. The presentation is awesome. It plays very much to me like GBA Wario Ware.

antun

I got the bat making game for 150 yen. It was basically make your own bat and try to hit the ball as far as possible with the newly created bat.

The first game I got for 200 yen after getting a few eggs and other things to barter a bit.

The first game is actually quite meaty with a back side with super difficult challenges as well as trying to get gold on all of them.

You unlock two endless modes as well and I don´t know but this is DIFFICULT.

Normally these kinds of games are all about rhythm or something but this one you actually have to look at what is going on and concentrate hard to get a decent score or a gold medal.

I hate baseball and most sports games but this game is very fun.

Think of it as a reaction and concentration game with a baseball setting.

It´s pure fun!

I will definetly buy a few more of the games.

You can use the discount tickets for some games and you have to discuss the prizes for others.

But it looks like discount ticket games are 150 yen and the others are 200 yen.

So in total everything would cost around 1750 yen. I guess. I would feel quite stupid if I bought all the games for 400 each haha.

antun

I just bought the throwing game in which you tilt your 3ds up and down to aim.

I really like how they fixed the movement to only tilt up and down instead of all directions. It makes it a lot more accurate.

I unlocked score attack A and B and I really appreciate the high score mentality of this game. I highly recommend it!

BriBri

I just bought the catching game (sky blue cartridge) today, so awesome! Some of the fastest mist frantic gameplay. I still feel really tense inside!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
omg this game is sooooooooooo good. Everything you do feels so good. Nothing beats getting perfect catches over and over is so badass.

rockx4

Wow that actually sounds pretty interesting.

Edit: Is this the different type of game that Nintendo was talking about?

antun

I love the extreme difficulty level if you are going for a high score or gold medals all over.

Achieving gold medals on some of the challenges is very demanding.

Slowly but surely I am getting them...

What are your scores for score attack A and B in the games?

Let´s compare with each other!

StayDead

After finishing the demo the day it was released I was seriously beginning to consider getting a game or two (especially the batting one) but I don't have enough money right now. It's a really interesting system.

BriBri

Has anybody gotten a free game (I don't mean the demo)? I was only half-paying attention (plus don't read Japanese) but believe I was given one. And the cheapest game I've bought now was for ¥150!

Kouriozan

The sound and the music of this game scream Wario Ware for sure. And from what I saw it looks very interesting.
Hope this will be localized somehow.

Maybe, but it is different to the Wii Sports Club model. You can work it to get the games for 150 to 200 yen each (10 of them in total, starting price is 400 yen). The game is fairly generous about giving you discount coupons to use to buy some of the games. There's also no renting, but the game gives you demos of at least two of the ten to try out before you buy.

I'm playing through this now, piece by piece. Intend to give full impressions of the whole package later. Suffice to say that I'm ~5 hours and 4 games in and have spent a total of 690 yen. It's very addictive, there's a relative dearth of content vs. price and I don't even like baseball.

Maybe, but it is different to the Wii Sports Club model. You can work it to get the games for 150 to 200 yen each (10 of them in total, starting price is 400 yen). The game is fairly generous about giving you discount coupons to use to buy some of the games. There's also no renting, but the game gives you demos of at least two of the ten to try out before you buy.

I'm playing through this now, piece by piece. Intend to give full impressions of the whole package later. Suffice to say that I'm ~5 hours and 4 games in and have spent a total of 690 yen. It's very addictive, there's a relative dearth of content vs. price and I don't even like baseball.
I consider the day passes to be equivalent to the haggling mechanic, because you can get all you want out of the game while spending a fraction of wot you'd normally spend.

how come i never heard of this

Japan-only and looks very experimental.

There's an update available for this title on the eShop that fixes a couple of bugs, including a problem of not being able to unlock the challenge modes when you reach the max. number of stamps (1,500). Doesn't affect save data or anything, you can carry it over. Just fyi.

Got a game for 200yen earlier. Was really chuffed and then came on here to read that you guys got free stuff? Did I just need to keep playing and hold out for longer?

Got a game for 200yen earlier. Was really chuffed and then came on here to read that you guys got free stuff? Did I just need to keep playing and hold out for longer?

Each game has a minimum price you can negotiate down for. The lowest I've seen is 150 yen for the coupon (non-story) games. The cheapest story game for me so far has been ~180 yen.

Nothing has been free, except the two demos given to you at different points in the story.

Also, apparently this was auto-downloaded via SpotPass to Japanese 3DSes. Nintendo getting pushy :p

zroid

Banned
I legit forgot this was a thing. When I saw it in the Direct today, actually believed it was a brand new game.

omg this game is sooooooooooo good. Everything you do feels so good. Nothing beats getting perfect catches over and over is so badass.

Hmmmm... :eek:

Top Bottom