• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dauntless (F2P Monster Hunter) arrives on Xbox, Playstation and EGS 21st May

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
nice i love being blasted with adds when playing my F2P game so i spend money in it

Jae Mara

Definitely looking into this. Could be nice game until Iceborne comes out. I remember when Dauntless was announced before we heard anything about MHW existing. The only option on PC at the time was MH Online and God Eater so back then it garnered a little more interest. Since MHW got announced and released since then its taken much of the interest away from this game. Well hope its fun!

Last edited:
It's been on PC for a while via PL's own client, which I think is the reason for the distinction.

I paid for the early supporter pack way, way back. It's good game. Worth a shot.

I'm not huge into this genre, but I've actually spent more time with it than MH: World I think.

manfestival

I played the game for a while till MHW came out. The game is a fun distraction but with MHW existing... I had no real reason to return to the game. Not a fan of the crafting system. Also the game I think relies on parties more than MHW does. I think I have about 30 hours in Dauntless and like 120 on MHW(PC).

I played dauntless for awhile and purchased a supporter pack. The game is fun but suffers from a lack of balance between some of the weapons and also relies too heavily on parties imo

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I streamed the Beta on PC. It was pretty cool, but much simpler combat and gear progression from what I could tell.

manfestival

I played dauntless for awhile and purchased a supporter pack. The game is fun but suffers from a lack of balance between some of the weapons and also relies too heavily on parties imo
Yeah... the time crunch also kinda hurts too. The lack of things in the world to do are also another killer for me. I love beating up on bosses but never been much for a boss fight simulator/grinder

Stafford

I'm constantly getting "full servers" messages and having to wait 30 minutes, come on now.

On Xbox by the way.

Enjay

Banned
Anyone else stuck at the joining game screen that appears right after the press start screen? I got to do the tutorial and 1st missions and was having fun with it but I can't seem to log on anymore.

Stafford

Anyone else stuck at the joining game screen that appears right after the press start screen? I got to do the tutorial and 1st missions and was having fun with it but I can't seem to log on anymore.

I want to try it out for the first time, so I choose new game and then it says all servers are full, tells me to wait 30 minutes in queue. Nah.

VertigoOA

Banned
Seems alright. Spent too much time being assaulted by microtransaction menus upon first impression. I dig monster hunter enough and if the boss battles and team tactics are deep enough this could be fun for a bit. I’ll give it the weekend at least.

Didn’t run into any Xbox players but did pc. Cross play and cross progression is awesome so I support that alone. I want that for all my favorite games.

Also looks like shit. Not the art style I mean... but that too. Probably not optimized to run enhanced consoles yet with the bells and whistles. Seemed low res and washed out. I imagine that’ll improve in time.

I’m hoping this helps monster hunter in the short term because there’s still a huge difference in pedigree

sublimit

Banned
The developers have said they were mostly influenced by World of Warcraft and Dark Souls, beyond the obvious Monster Hunter influences.
In terms of gameplay or art? World of Warcraft i can see (another art style that i don't like at all) but i don't see any trace of Dark Souls art direction.

In terms of gameplay or art? World of Warcraft i can see (another art style that i don't like at all) but i don't see any trace of Dark Souls art direction.

World of Warcraft art, Dark Souls combat and difficulty, at least eventually. The game uses a stamina bar like Dark Souls, and the developers intend for most players to be able to reach endgame content, but they want some optional encounters after that to be very hard and very uncommon to have completed.

Helios

I don't see the world of warcraft artstyle. It looks more like Torchlight to me, especially the characters.

VertigoOA

Banned
Regardless of what it draws inspiration from ... its art is horrible generic shit.

I’d be saying similar if it had some horrendous anime look too.

Both would be equally as hideous and uninspired...

Last edited:

Stafford

Yeah, MHW this is not, not even close.

I wonder if this is all there is? I've only been going on hunts for these behemoths and there don't seem to be any other creatures roaming around. Something that made MHW so great, among other things. I've now almost fought all those behemoths. What else is there?

Top Bottom