• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chapelle urges fans to stop watching Chappelle's Show

Bridges

Basically, he claims that he was essentially coerced into signing a really bad contract by his agent and the executives of Comedy Central, where he makes no money from his show and has no rights to any of it. He was infuriated to see HBO MAX and Netflix streaming the show because he feels it was stolen from him. He told Netflix what happened and they agreed to take the show off their platform to make him feel better. Now he is publicly calling out Comedy Central and asking fans to boycott watching his show on any platform until they agree to pay him for it.

He describes his dealings with Comedy Central and HBO, why Netflix took down Chappelle's Show and more. Worth a watch.

Last edited:

Bridges

Can you summarize this 18 minute long video better, and provide a resolution to your highly intriguing thread title?

My apologies

Basically, he claims that he was essentially coerced into signing a really bad contract by his agent and the executives of Comedy Central, where he makes no money from his show and has no rights to any of it. He was infuriated to see HBO MAX and Netflix streaming the show because he feels it was stolen from him. He told Netflix what happened and they agreed to take the show off their platform to make him feel better. Now he is publicly calling out Comedy Central and asking fans to boycott watching his show on any platform until they agree to pay him for it.

There's a little more to it but that's the main gist of it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
My apologies

Wow. Can do.

I was kind of planning to get this show on disc anyway (no way some of these skits survive for much longer in this age), but definitely now.

teezzy

Banned
Not his fans' fault that he signed a bad contract. Business is business. It doesnt hurt him if people watch the show just because he doesnt get royalties. Boo hoo, Dave. You have "fuck you" money.

With that said, I'm glad I recently bought the entire series on DVD for $5 when I had the chance. I'll continue to enjoy that. His show was brilliant, and as a comedian, he still is as well.

Love Chappelle, but that's how I see it.

plushyp

My apologies

dear-diary-today-op-was-a-cool-guy.jpg

People always want to play the victim these days. Likening himself to a slave running to another plantation is a fucking joke - slaves didn't make millions off of a "bad" deal. That's right: by all accounts, the deal with Comedy Central that he walked away from was worth $55 million dollars. Fuck that shit.

That said, I have the second season on DVD from back when the show was on air so I have no reason to feel bad anyways.

Last edited:
Wow. Can do.

I was kind of planning to get this show on disc anyway (no way some of these skits survive for much longer in this age), but definitely now.

That's honestly probably even worse. I would imagine that money goes directly to comedy central, as opposed to a streaming service agreement that then is essentially a done deal. I would guess Netflix isn't changing the fact that they gave Comedy Central money to stream the show. They're still out the money, the expense just changes from streaming the show to paying for Chapelle's loyalty, which is still a wise investment.

But this isn't anything new. He's been talking about how he felt he was treated by Comedy Central for many years now. Funny enough, but if Netflix just would have asked for his input on the deal before making it, they could have still helped their relationship with Chapelle without having to spend the money.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He wasn't really a big star before Chappelle's Show, to be honest. I knew him from Half Baked and some other stuff, but the show is what made him huge. Maybe it was a bad deal (or just looks like one in hindsight), but it undoubtedly cemented him as a household name, made him a lot of money, and allowed him to fuck off to South Africa and bail on the show only to come back over a decade later and secure exclusive comedy specials.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That's honestly probably even worse. I would imagine that money goes directly to comedy central, as opposed to a streaming service agreement that then is essentially a done deal. I would guess Netflix isn't changing the fact that they gave Comedy Central money to stream the show. They're still out the money, the expense just changes from streaming the show to paying for Chapelle's loyalty, which is still a wise investment.

But this isn't anything new. He's been talking about how he felt he was treated by Comedy Central for many years now. Funny enough, but if Netflix just would have asked for his input on the deal before making it, they could have still helped their relationship with Chapelle without having to spend the money.

I got the impression this deal didn’t cover DVD, and some payment would go to Chappelle?

Rereading, I guess not.

Last edited:
Didn't this guy get like 30 million from Netflix to produce ? barely an hour's worth of content in two parts back in 2017? Then two years later made another hour's worth of content. Cool..

I wish Netflix would give actual edgy comedians like Dough Stanhope or Christopher Titus (Boy that divorce special is ... well relevant in 2020) a special.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If he signed a bad contract and makes no money out of it, why do it? There's got to be some brain cells in his brain, his agent's brain and his lawyer's brain to still sign it.

The guy probably wanted exposure and would do anything. Only time I heard of this guy is his Chappelle show which put him on the map. So he agreed to be paid a boring salary or lump sum and that's it. When he's done, no more money.

Then it turned out he got a lot bigger than he expected, so hindsight being 20/20 he was kicking himself he couldn't score a better deal.

What an asshole.

If he signed a bad contract and makes no money out of it, why do it? There's got to be some brain cells in his brain, his agent's brain and his lawyer's brain to still sign it.

The guy probably wanted exposure and would do anything. Only time I heard of this guy is his Chappelle show which put him on the map. So he agreed to be paid a boring salary or lump sum and that's it. When he's done, no more money.

Then it turned out he got a lot bigger than he expected, so hindsight being 20/20 he was kicking himself he couldn't score a better deal.

What an asshole.
STFU, you chump.

Dave had the right to say what he said and we have the right to not listen to him.

That doesn't make Dave any less of an asshole.

Super Mario

Banned
Let rich people make their money. However, I don't really have sympathy that you were "coerced to sign a deal that was no good for you". You poor thing. What's the alternative to not signing? Going back onto a 10 year hiatus?

deafmedal

Any entertainer from the last 25 years had a half century of stories to look back upon and see just how greedy the suits in the entertainment industry were (are). If his agent fucked him, sue like Reznor did. Hard to have empathy when he agreed to the terms and signed...
far as i'm concerned all masters belong to their creators
I don’t disagree but is ignorance a valid excuse for signing away your rights? There are predators in any industry, but an argument can be made that Comedy Central took the risk producing the show and all that entails. Are they not considered as part of the creation process? He definitely should retain any of the jokes he wrote but the actual film? I dunno.

He's like every other popstar ever, that got a shitty deal from the publisher.

He was in a shit position to negotiate, so he got a bad deal, and now wants to re-negotiate after the fact.

yuadesa

boo hoo, thats how the business works. the company fronts the money to actually make and advertise the product, if its a hit you get paid on the followups. For every one artist that hits it big there are tons of others that dont, the company doesnt chase down the failures to make them pay them back the money they lost. scummy move to try and renegotiate after the fact, the product wouldnt exist with the companies money and support, its a partnership. He chose to walk away from his contract, shit they were offering him 50 million for season 3 and 4 they were trying to do right by him.

go shit out another special for 60 million and stop bitching about people enjoying your still best work that made you famous.

YCoCg

Yeah he's rich now but he's making a point because he can AND BECAUSE HE'S RICH.

He has enough away to turn to Netflix, the company that desperately wants him to do more content for them, and state that he's not happy with them making a deal to stream his show as he gets nothing from it. And in return because Netflix needs creators like him on their side for new content, they agreed to appease him and keep him happy.

Now imagine some young actor/comedian trying that move, they'd get laughed at and screwed over.

JimiNutz

Banned
I like Chappelle but he signed the contract and he's rich enough.

It'd maybe be a bit different if he was completely broke and fat cats were still getting rich off his talent while he ate cold beans out of a can but that's not the case at all.

I'M RICH BITCH!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I also have a bad contract with Evilore and don't get any royalties for my postings :(.

diffusionx

Gold Member
A raging SJW I know posted this on Instagram so I knew something was up. I don’t give a shit if Dave gets paid or not.
SJWs are trying to bury the show and have for years, because white kids quoted it and it had several prominent Jewish and white writers that advanced some of the spicier skits.

Boss Mog

I doubt he was coerced into anything, they probably offered him a bigger sum up front without any ownership rights and he took the deal. He figured better to get mine now in case the show isn't successful. He should've had more faith in himself.

Top Bottom