• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe wants a 1 console future (Dyack Redeemed)

SPEA

Can anyone explain to me how having ONE console would be bad for gamers? Or game developers for that matter?

The argument that keeps coming up is, ‘oh, it would stifle competition and competition is good for gamers!’

But I don’t understand this in regards to console hardware.

One game publisher would be bad. One giant game developer would be bad. I get how those things would hurt gamers. But why would one unified hardware platform?

We have it with DVD, we had it with VHS. We have it with televisions (in the sense that- for the most part- every tv is capable of broadcasting the same signal). So what do we lose by having it for game consoles?

Sure you miss out on some features that may otherwise be available if another console was there to compete. But this is always the way when one format wins over another and becomes the standard. And for those few features you lose, don’t you make up for it in so many other ways? Massive content choice, being the main one. And what about better quality products because the makers of the software/television shows/dvds don’t have to spend one instant struggling to make the same content for 2-3 different systems and instead can focus on making grate content right out of the gate? And you get MORE competition on the software side- which is, to me, where it counts- because there is MORE competition to be the best on a single system instead of content creators splintering and never ever worrying about competing with 2 out of the 3 groups.

For me, those are much bigger reasons to want a single console. Sure, you miss out on a cool feature here, a neat feature there. But we’ve gotten used to this in so many other hardware products and- in doing so- reaped the many more benefits of a single system.

Sure, our industry would have to battle it out to determine who gets to make the system. Is it one company or a group of companies? Or is it like television sets where you have multiple consoles that run the same software but with their own unique features?. And before you toss 3DO at me as an example as to why this won’t work, don’t. 3DO failed because- for the most part- it had crap games and was way too expensive and could not compete with the new game hardware coming out that was selling at much cheaper prices. But if the 3DO had been an XBOX 360 or a PLAYSTATION 2….or even a Wii? Well then I think things would have gone differently.

A lot of people will say: well, the game companies would never agree to this or that or the other. And to me, that is part of the problem our business has overall. Competition is great. But I think the leaders of the biggest groups should come together from time to time- like the big Mafia families do in the movies- and make some decisions together for the overall health of the business. Heck, maybe they already do this and I am just not aware. But if they do, they have not made the right decision on the one thing I think that could benefit gamers and game makers in a massive way: a single console.

As always. I’m up for being proven wrong. I don’t think I have the ultimate answer and I know there are some strong feelings on this topic from some folks. But I’ve yet to have a good argument from anyone-including these vocal anti single system folks- as to why a single console is wrong. Please to educate me? Even if the reason is competition, please explain why it works in other industries but would not work in ours? Thanks!

David

http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2008/01/all-for-one.html

HOT DAMN!
Discuss...

I agree with Jaffe. So long as they don't something retarded with the controller, a one console future would be best. Let the software makers duke it out on one even playing field.

In fact, let a consortium run and profit from the console so nobody gets too big for their britches. Quite possibly, publishers could get together and fund it. They could all get a percentage of sales relative to their contributions.

He's right.

a 1 console future is the way to go.

I've been saying that since the snes/genesis days

It would finally put an end to stupid fanboy console wars crap.. and we could actually talk about how great games actually are or how bad..

Bulla564

Banned
He's right if that one console gets upgraded every 5 or so years. He is wrong if we get stuck with a Wii 4 life.

tino

Banned
We just had a bloody format war not one month ago. There are way too much money in it for everybody to play nice and agree on one standard.

Heck if Sony and MS some how agree on one console, Capcom will jump out and make their own.

Bulla564 said:
He's right if that one console gets upgraded every 5 or so years. He is wrong if we get stuck with a Wii 4 life.

No way would I support a one console future if it resembled the Wii in any way, shape, form or fashion.

I_D

The competition isn't really between games themselves, but between the consoles.

With only one system, the incentive to make more powerful consoles is limited. The incentive to lower prices is limited. The incentive to create new features is limited.

On the game end, though, one system would be a dream come true.

McLovin

1 console would actually work out for the best for everyone. Nintendo could go the way of Sega(hopefully still keeping up quality control) and maybe release a sensor bar and wii mote for their games. All Nintendo would have to worry about is making 1st party games and they wouldn't be restricted by hardware like this gen. Same goes for MS and Sony. No more sloppy ports and everyone could concentrate on making 1 really good version of a game instead of 3 crappy ones.

Hardware innovation is TIED to game design. The consoles and their respective unique features enable designers to think of new and interesting ways for the player to interact with the game and vice versa. i don't get why he's using movie formats as an example. they are non-interactive forms of entertainment.

I think a good word to use is disruption. We're seeing a disruption in the way players interact with games because of a RISK that one competitor took out of NECESSITY due to heavy competition. I would argue that a single console environment would stifle hardware innovation and therefore affect the evolution of game design.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I dunno, Mario Master Chief Dante Sonic all on one console? Dont know how i would feel about that. Plus nintendo's vision of next-gen is TOTALLY different from microsoft and Sony, Im talking about graphics obviously. And the types of games as well.

Im for multiple consoles, Just because there is a difference between them if you look past the multiplatform games that wouldnt be able to run on the other with the same expierence. Warhawk for example. Just like playing Mario with a PS3 joypad or Xbox 360 joypad would just feel strange. You get my point.

Maybe im just old fashioned or a retard, but i actually prefer to have a choice on which console i want to get and which controller i prefer.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Doesn't work....

Developers have a point the problem they mean shit in the process. When publishers and manufacturers lose the power they have to anally control shit like they do then it works.

Sony won't do it because like MS this is hub for them and not about the games entirely. Then comes on how they do hardware. Sony likes internal MS like Nintendo prefer going to those that fit their needs. API no way this is happening since DX is king and most of those devs won't sign on to Opengl or create a new standard in which devs control how graphics go not vendors looking for big bucks or trying to push new tech to just push it.

This is something I expect a cheap ass consumer to come up not someone in the industry who should understand how it really works from the back end. He can create great games but has this pie in the sky notion.....

Dave Long

Banned
I realize there's already someone in this thread hating the Wii, but the bottom line is that without the competition between the consoles, we wouldn't ever get control innovations like the Wii, or analog sticks, or rumble, or any of that.

Those are powerful differetiators that really do need to be a part of console design, and if there was only one console maker, they wouldn't be obliged to research any of that kind of thing.

Plus, I bet those folks who love constant graphics upgrades would be really disappointed because just like controls, there would be little reason to innovate there.

KevinCow

Banned
Price. If only one company is making a console, there's nothing stopping them from pricing it higher than it should be.

You could argue that, like DVD players, they could have different people manufacturing different systems to play the same games, but then you get a bunch of different SKUs, and it just confuses the fuck out of the consumers. And that totally destroys the beauty of console gaming in the first place, which is the fact that you can go out, pick up your system, and be certain that it will play on your machine with no hassle.

beef3483

If don't think such a future would help promote great new ideas like motion controls and IR aiming. People have diverse tastes and standardization leads to feature cutting.

Either way, it won't happen. There's no way Nintendo, MS, or Sony could ever find common ground.

Future

The GameBoy was without quality competition for years. Not till the PSP did they really get pushed to try something different. The result? The DS

Competition is what solidified the change from cartridges to optical media. Arrogant Nintendo still tried another gen of cartridge crap until sales ultimately forced them to change.

Competition is what drove Nintendo to try another avenue in motion sensing. It made wireless controllers standard on all systems. It makes the future Mario Kart have an online mode. It drives the creation of the online marketplace. Etc Etc

Comparison to DVDs and TV media is terrible. The hardware in those cases does not drive the quality of movie production. Warner Brothers does not look at Dvd tech before deciding what movies to greenlight.

I just wish there was another gen like the previous, where one console got all the games I wanted and some more. It's not really a one console future, but the third parties have to collaborate.

MisterHero

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
No way would I support a one console future if it resembled the Wii in any way, shape, form or fashion.
You might be thanking the Wii if Sony is forced to price the PS3 competitively. :p

Sony proved that you can't trust the direction of the industry on one company based on their success vs. their managereal competence (or lack thereof).

Innotech

Banned
The asdvent of motion sensing has pretty much turned this argument on its head. some want it, some dont. How would they accomodate both? Especially when the controllers are completely different designs?

calder

I'm always a bit surprised at how many "1 console future" boosters really mean "well, 2 consoles and a separate PC platform for variety and maybe a couple of different ways to play portably too". Even on the 1Up show when Garnett was not very successfully playing devil's advocate and trying to make the case for a single console he basically admitted off the bat it would actually be one HD console format and the Wii or something.

And honestly, if there was any sort of "winner" judged on the current gen and it was used as the template for the future as decided by the market place then I'd quickly become a PC only gamer. :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
WOuld be awesome.

Let MS handle the software side of the system, Sony the hardware side, Nintendo the Input Side of the system.

Pie in the sky dream, but nonetheless....

Oh AND DENIS DYACK SAID IT FIRST AND HE WAS CALLED A FOOL, I GUESS SOMETIMES FOOLS ARE JUST THINKING AHEAD

:p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
and now, overwrought simpsons metaphor:

it's like that episode where bart, milhouse, and martin throw in all their money on the single comic book, the comic book here represents the one console future. unfortunately, upon procuring this seemingly ideal thing, they realize that they must then decide who the primary proprietor of the comic book is--that is, whether it will stay at bart's treehouse, go to milhouse's, or martin's. will nintendo sony and microsoft not heed the comic book guy's warning and not get more than they bargained for!?

Spire said:
It's nice to want things.
clog.gif

Soule

And what about better quality products because the makers of the software/television shows/dvds don’t have to spend one instant struggling to make the same content for 2-3 different systems and instead can focus on making grate content right out of the gate?

Need more grates, stat.

I_D

How's this for a thought?

There would be only one console, but companies would bid to see who gets to make the parts for it. Of course they'd get a piece of the proceeds.
It would basically make consoles a custom computer, hand-picked from hardware/software creators.

That would ensure the best of the best of the best hardware at the time of release.

I still haven't thought of a good way to ensure price cuts though.

I clicked this thread expecting to see a bunch of posts along the lines of "Wow, I like Jaffe, but didn't think he'd say something this crazy."

Holy shit was I ever wrong about that.

a big "FAIL" in his argument is the assumption that multiple consoles is stifling competition and creativity in game design...i honestly see no shortage in innovative ideas in a market that supports 3 consoles, 2 handhelds, and the PC.

Core407

Banned
One console would result in so much shovelware and with so many games for a single console, a lot of the games would be overlooked.

TunaLover

I wonder if we even would be seen those "one console" preachers if Wii wasn't the success that it is, and "screwing" the traditional bussiness way of thinking.

Rhindle

As always. I’m up for being proven wrong. I don’t think I have the ultimate answer and I know there are some strong feelings on this topic from some folks. But I’ve yet to have a good argument from anyone-including these vocal anti single system folks- as to why a single console is wrong. Please to educate me? Even if the reason is competition, please explain why it works in other industries but would not work in ours? Thanks!
Hi David.

Here's how your industry works:

Consumers won't pay more than $300 or $400 for a console, as your former employer is now painfully aware.

The only way to price consoles at $300 or $400 at launch with cutting edge technology is for the manufacturers to massively subsidize the hardware.

The only way manufacturers can massively subsidize the hardware is by charging platform royalties on software sales.

The only way manufacturers can charge platform royalties on software sales is by owning proprietary platforms.

And thus it has been and thus it shall be.

Rezbit

Now that Jaffe has said it, watch all the people come out of the woodwork: "Oh my god, I've been saying this all along! You're so right Jaffe!"

It wouldn't work. We'd essentially just have PCs because we'd need to upgrade if we wanted decent graphics. The lifespan of a console is just too short. And games are much more polarizing than these other forms of media.

WrikaWrek

Banned
TunaLover said:
I wonder if we even would be seen those "one console" preachers if Wii wasn't the success that it is, and "screwing" the traditional bussiness way of thinking.

Yes...this is really the Wii's doing. Because the other consoles aren't delivering the goods at all *rollseyes*

Top Bottom