• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Milch, Michael Mann team for HBO horse-racing drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costanza

Banned
David Milch is trying his luck at HBO again, teaming with filmmaker Michael Mann for a horse racing drama.

"Luck," which has received a pilot order from the pay cable network, is described as a provocative look at the world of horse racing and gambling told through a diverse group of characters surrounding a racetrack.

Milch wrote the project, with Mann on board to direct the pilot.

The two are executive producing with Carolyn Strauss who, as HBO entertainment president, fostered Milch's close ties with the network.

During his long history with HBO, Milch created and executive produced the series "Deadwood" and "John From Cincinnati" as well as the 2008 pilot "Last of the Ninth," a gritty period cop drama.

Following an early start in television where he worked as a writer-producer on several series, including an executive producing stint on "Miami Vice," Mann has been largely focused on the feature side, most recently writing, directing and producing the Johnny Depp starrer "Public Enemies."

In 2002, he exec produced the CBS cop drama series "Robbery Homicide Division."

"Luck" follows another HBO drama pilot with a strong pedigree, the Terence Winter-written/Martin Scorsese-directed "Boardwalk Empire," which was picked up to series in the fall.

It joins a pilot slate at the pay cable network that includes drama "Game of Thrones," now in post-production, and comedy "Enlightened," which is filming.

Milch and Mann are repped by CAA.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/david-milch-michael-mann-team-for-hbo-drama.html

Sounds interesting.

Deadwood was good and Mann is the fucking man, I'm there. HBO seems to making up for the last couple years with all the potentially quality shows coming up.

If Game of Thrones isn't picked up for a season HBO can go fuck themselves. Although that highly unlikely.

Can't really blame Milch for that, actually. What is up with HBO, former showrunners and bad show ideas? I don't expect anything to be better than Deadwood or The Wire.. but horse-racing and buskers in New Orleans? Surely, Simon and Milch can do something better.

Mifune

Mehmber
DevelopmentArrested said:
Can't really blame Milch for that, actually. What is up with HBO, former showrunners and bad show ideas? I don't expect anything to be better than Deadwood or The Wire.. but horse-racing and buskers in New Orleans? Surely, Simon and Milch can do something better.

A show centered around a funeral home didn't sound too great on paper, either. 60's advertising agency? Who gives a fuck about that!

Tobor

DevelopmentArrested said:

I can absolutely blame him for that. If he hadn't insisted on pursuing Turd from Cincinatti the 4th season wouldn't have been an issue. Instead he was too damn busy, and HBO couldn't risk paying the actors to sit around waiting for Milch.

Clevinger

Tobor said:
I can absolutely blame him for that. If he hadn't insisted on pursuing Turd from Cincinatti the 4th season wouldn't have been an issue. Instead he was too damn busy, and HBO couldn't risk paying the actors to sit around waiting for Milch.

Uh, it was canceled and then he did Cincinnati. He didn't push for the show, and HBO also fucked with its premise and its production. And then they passed on his 70's cop show pilot, so they fucked him over three times consequentially.

Tobor

Clevinger said:
Uh, it was canceled and then he did Cincinnati. He didn't push for the show, and HBO also fucked with its premise and its production. And then they passed on his 70's cop show pilot, so they fucked him over three times consequentially.

You've got the timeline way wrong. Look it up. JFC was already in development when the actors options weren't picked up on Deadwood.

Trust me on this, I know the whole story.

Clevinger

Tobor said:
You've got the timeline way wrong. Look it up. JFC was already in development when the actors options weren't picked up on Deadwood.

Trust me on this, I know the whole story.

I know JFC, this horse racing drama, the 70's cop show, and a John Hopkins Medical School drama have all been in development for a long time. That doesn't mean anything. HBO passed on a fourth season of Deadwood and promised Milch some Deadwood movies and then he moved onto JFC for actual production.

Tobor

Clevinger said:
I know JFC, this horse racing drama, the 70's cop show, and a John Hopkins Medical School drama have all been in development for a long time. That doesn't mean anything. HBO passed on a fourth season of Deadwood and promised Milch some Deadwood movies and then he moved onto JFC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/arts/television/11mcki.html

JFC caused Season 4's cancellation. Plain and simple. You can blame HBO all you want, but they at least offered him a deal, which he turned down. The whole situation was completely stupid, and made even more stupid by JFC sucking donkey balls.

The scuttlebutt in the industry at the time was that Milch was distracted, and that HBO wasn't confident in him running two shows at the same time, and JFC was far cheaper to shoot.

Clevinger

Tobor said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/arts/television/11mcki.html

JFC caused Season 4's cancellation. Plain and simple. You can blame HBO all you want, but they at least offered him a deal, which he turned down. The whole situation was completely stupid, and made even more stupid by JFC sucking donkey balls.

The scuttlebutt in the industry at the time was that Milch was distracted, and that HBO wasn't confident in him running two shows at the same time, and JFC was far cheaper to shoot.

Did you not read your own article?

Eager to get it on the air, the executives wanted Mr. Milch (who has been known to rewrite while filming) to focus on the new project rather than on a fourth season of "Deadwood."

I'm still blaming HBO. Particularly Albrecht, who I've heard was the main reason for it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just going to chime in and say here that I enjoyed the first season of John From Cincinnati more than season 1 of Deadwood. I'll get around to the rest of Deadwood but JFC was fucking awesome.

Tobor

Clevinger said:
Did you not read your own article?

I'm still blaming HBO. Particularly Albrecht, who I've heard was the main reason for it.

Of course I read it. I'd see your point if JFC was someone elses show, but like I said Milch was erratic and HBO pushed for the cheaper show. I can't blame them for making a business decision.

Why was he even writing another show? And pitching it and casting it and everything else. He should have been focusing on Deadwood to get the damn thing finished. Eh, fuck it. I've said my peace. Hopefully Mann can keep him focused this time.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'd be a lot more interested if Mann wasn't involved.

My dad will be happy though. Deadwood is one of the few shows he likes and he's huge into horse racing.

El Papa

I really like horse racing, though I don't follow it nearly as much as I'd like. This sounds like it could be really good.

Holy shit.

Maybe it was all those airings of Meet the Fockers, but Dustin Hoffman is now cable ready.

The two-time Oscar winner is heading to television, joining the cast of HBO's Luck, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Besides landing Hoffman for his first TV work in four decades, the horse racing drama already comes with a good pedigree: Public Enemies' Michael Mann will direct the pilot and NYPD Blue/Deadwood mainman David Milch wrote the script. Dennis Farina and John Ortiz have also been cast.

The series centers around Hoffman's character, a career criminal recently released from prison, and the shady activities that go on around a horse racing track.

Sounds like a sure bet.

Solo

It only took John From Cincinatti to wash away all the goodwill Milch had with me from Deadwood. Not sure if want.

Solo said:
It only took John From Cincinatti to wash away all the goodwill Milch had with me from Deadwood. Not sure if want.

I'd say this is more in my wheelhouse than that, but any distaste I had for JFC (hey! I just got that!) was washed away in Ed O'Neill's scene in the upstairs room about his wife.

Solo

Ed O'Neill was brilliant in JFC - the one redeeming factor. "We're on the precipice of a clusterfuck!"

Solo

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah...

But yeah, boy, that was a really bad show.

Almost 3 years later and I still have no idea what the hell Milch was even going for, overt Christ analogies aside. I just dont know (Butchie instead).

Theme song was awesome. I still play that from time to time.

JFC had some sublime moments and I loved most of the cast, yet I still have no idea wtf was going on.

Clevinger

BenjaminBirdie said:

Holy shit, indeed. There was a rumor that Milch was trying to get McShane for the lead, but I'll take this.

edit: And as far as JfC is concerned. The guy had one dud among some of the best television in history. Give the guy some slack.

Clevinger said:
Holy shit, indeed. There was a rumor that Milch was trying to get McShane for the lead, but I'll take this.

edit: And as far as JfC is concerned. The guy had one dud among some of the best television in history. Give the guy some slack.

Hey, I still respect Sorkin after Studio 60, and nothing on Earth is worse than Studio 60. If you make a Deadwood or a West Wing, you have my attention and respect for life, no matter what.

Already sounding like a winner with the cast, director and showrunner.

HBO is going to start killing with this and Game of Thrones.

Clevinger

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hey, I still respect Sorkin after Studio 60, and nothing on Earth is worse than Studio 60. If you make a Deadwood or a West Wing, you have my attention and respect for life, no matter what.

Oh man. Studio 60. That show. I loved Scharpling's rants about it.

Looks like they're getting some Mann regulars for the cast. Never saw John from Cincinnati, sounded like shit from the beginning, but Deadwood and Mann being involved is enough to get me interested for this. With this, Game of Thrones (hopefully, we'll find out this month), and Boardwalk Empire coming up, HBO is looking good.

Solo

Clipjoint said:
Fuck the haters, John from Cincinnati was greatness. It's not Milch's fault if you didn't get it.

It really is, especially given that there was nothing to get.

Confusion about JfC aside, I'm pretty fired up about this series given the pedigree and now w/ Dustin Hoffman signing on.

Timbuktu

All these HBO shows have great potential but I'm not sure if having all these big film directors like Alexander Payne, Peter Berg, Scorsese, Tom McCathy and now Mann for TV pilots means anything. And with The Pacific coming soon too, it all seems a bit expensive, something's gotta giveThe casting for these shows is certainly increasing in pedigree though.

this is a modern drama, right? I just have this image of the horse racing scene from Public Enemies in my head.

In all the hubbub about Hoffman, I didn't notice that Dennis Farina is going to be in it, too. He seems like a good fit for this.

i just can't get excited about this kind of source material.. same with David Simon's new project.

I'll give em a try but I dunno

Jex

I can't say the premise is too thrilling, but then again stories become interesting in the way they are told.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The potential exists for some good guest stars.

I could see Mann casting someone like Edward James Olmos for one episode.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cornballer said:
In all the hubbub about Hoffman, I didn't notice that Dennis Farina is going to be in it, too. He seems like a good fit for this.

i still cry when i see that he's taken over robert stack's UNSOLVED MYSTERIES hosting duties.

Clevinger said:
So we have Dustin Hoffman and Dennis Farina. Now Nick Nolte is reportedly about to join the cast.
Sweet. Here's more from the Hollywood Reporter.
THR said:
Four trying their 'Luck' in HBO pilot
Kevin Dunn, Nick Nolte betting on horseracing drama
By Nellie Andreeva

March 8, 2010, 11:00 PM ET

Kevin Dunn has been tapped to co-star on HBO's drama pilot "Luck," with "Rome" alumna Kerry Condon and Tom Payne also set and Nick Nolte in talks for the horse drama starring Dustin Hoffman."Luck," from Michael Mann and David Milch, takes a look at the worlds of horse racing and gambling through a diverse group of characters surrounding a racetrack. It centers on an intelligent, intuitive tough man (Hoffman) who always has been involved with gambling.

Dunn will play the prodigious misanthrope who is the ringmaster of a syndicate of misfits. Nolte would play the trainer of a top racehorse. Condon will play the exercise rider for the horse who is interested in Bug Boy (British actor Payne), an apprentice jockey.

The quartet joins previously cast Hoffman, Dennis Farina and John Ortiz.

Dunn, who next appears in Tony Scott's "Unstoppable," in negotiations to reprise his role as Sam Witwicky in the third "Transformers" film. He is repped by Gersh and Lighthouse.

For Nolte, "Luck" marks the first TV project since his breakthrough role on the 1976 miniseries "Rich Man, Poor Man."

Condon, recently seen in "The Last Station," is repped by ICM and Troy Nankin.

Anything Milch does = Me immediatley sold. Deadwood and John From Cincinnatti are probably my 2 favorite shows ever. I don't even care what it's about. Its gonna be good.

HBO picked it up.
Franklin Avenue said:
Breaking: HBO picks up Dustin Hoffman series "Luck"

THR Live Feed said:
HBO orders horseracing drama starring Dustin Hoffman

HBO has given a series order to "Luck," a new drama with an A-list pedigree.

The series has "Deadwood" scribe David Milch as showrunner, Dustin Hoffman in the lead role and Michael Mann directing the pilot.

"Luck" is billed as provocative look at horse racing – the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players.

“Michael Mann delivered a pilot from David Milch’s brilliant script that took our breath away,” said HBO programming president Michael Lombardo. “We are truly excited that these two artists, and our extraordinary cast headed by Dustin Hoffman, will be bringing 'Luck' to life.”

The show begins production this fall at Santa Anita and other Los Angeles locations.
James Poniewozik said:
HBO Places Its Bet on Milch and Mann's Luck
Posted by James Poniewozik Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm

And they're off! HBO, which has been beefing up its regular-series roster heavily in the past year, has ordered to series Luck, a drama set in the horse-racing world, created by David Milch, starring Dustin Hoffman, and its pilot directed by Michael Mann.

Given the roster of names in that previous sentence, I would have been stunned had HBO not picked up the series, as I've said before. But the network is sparing no verbiage in describing its enthusiasm for Mann's pilot.

The series begins shooting in the fall (not long after the recently announced Game of Thrones). The announcement after the jump:

HBO has picked up the new drama series LUCK, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. LUCK is a provocative look at horse racing – the owners, gamblers, jockeys and diverse gaming industry players. LUCK begins shooting this fall at Santa Anita Park and other Los Angeles locations.

“Michael Mann delivered a pilot from David Milch's brilliant script that took our breath away,” notes Lombardo. “We are truly excited that these two artists, and our extraordinary cast headed by Dustin Hoffman, will be bringing LUCK to life.”

The cast for the pilot stars Dustin Hoffman, Dennis Farina, John Ortiz, Kevin Dunn, Richard Kind, Jason Gedrick, Ritchie Coster, Ian Hart, Tom Payne, Kerry Condon, Gary Stevens and Nick Nolte. Jill Hennessy guest stars.

Pilot credits: executive producers, David Milch, Michael Mann and Carolyn Strauss; co-executive producer, Henry Bronchtein; producer, Dustin Hoffman; written by David Milch; directed by Michael Mann.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom