• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day 1 - Driv3r: "What Fun Ha3v I Had Today?"

I was going to start by saying this I liked about the game but it so hard to think of good things to say about it. The Driving is ok, just ok nothing more than that it is probably equal to driver 2 but definitely no better than that which is disappointing as they have had so may years to improve on it. But as for undercover mode is a shambles an absolutely bloody shambles that the developers should cringe every time they read a review about their game. It managed to bring back memories of the first time I played Angel Of Darkness and that is something I don’t want to be reminded of.

From the first few hours I played the game I already have experienced too many bad points it is unbelievable:

I crashed into a car and the other car drove throw a building.
I noticed so people waling in mid air a few feet above the sidewalk.
A Van drove in me into me, it recoiled of me and bounced back.
Terrible Clipping.
To put it bluntly, shit AI.
To Cars hitting each other at full speed and each of them hardy moves.
Driving into lampposts at full speed actually knock YOU back.
The framerate sucks worse than a tranny hooker
I've done about 15 missions so far I reckon I enjoyed about 2 of them.
The shooting in game makes me cry, it makes the fighting system in GTA3 look good.
Directors mode is a nice addition but to fiddly to be fun to use.
There is TO MUCH on foot in the game, I would not mind if on foot was fun, but it is far from fun.
The
escaping from the docks
and
jumping off the raising bridge
was the best part I played yet, but that was after four hours of play.
Nice is I'm more enjoyable than Miami to play in but still not great.

Overall the feel of the old driver games is in there some where although it is buried DEEP DOWN it almost feel like a chore to play it. Although I am not full finished it yet I would estimated there is not many fun points in the game, I certainty haven found many yet.

My GTA and True Crimes loving mate called it crap after about 10 mins of playing it, after about 5 hours play I would called it disappointing, I cant believe I am calling disappointing as my hopes were as low as possible in the first place.

http://www.vagusnet.com/media/driv3r_ingame.mpg

The light post crash is just embarrassing. There's no reason for that.

And how many shots do you have land to kill an officer? You had to hit him atleast 5 times without any reaction.

ZootedGranny said:
You must have the will power of a god to even withstand 30 minutes let alone more 5 hours.

I like finishing all games, also the game has its moments in between all those glitches although not many of them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It managed to bring back memories of the first time I played Angel Of Darkness and that is something I don’t want to be reminded of.

...but AoD wasn't that bad if you gave it some time.

pilonv1

Sure it wasn't that bad, it was horrible. There were a few misguided AoD apologists here though, so you're not alone. However Driver 3 isn't platform exclusive so we're unlikely to have many this time.

dark10x

Blimblim said:
I posted my impressions of the game along with a video of the first 12 minutes (in french, but it's not that important) on my site http://www.xboxyde.com/news_769_en.html

In a few words : It sucks. Big time.

Heh, tried to watch that video to no avail. Well, the video DOES display...but it flashes the entire time (which is a bit hard on the eyes). Any idea what's wrong? I'm using the latest version of XviD.

OK, it worked with another player.

dark10x

Hmm, that video was interesting...

Firstly, the graphics engine looks very nice; perhaps the best looking engine I've seen in a game of this type (unless you include Wreckless in there...but that's a bit TOO different).

The game itself, however, looks very uninteresting. I'm not sure if the on foot controls are REALLY that bad or if the player simply sucks...but that was quite terrible looking. The driving portion looked just fine, but certainly didn't stand out in any other way besides visuals.

Well, I was never really interested anyways...but it is a shame that it turned out so poorly.

I still don't understand why AoD gets such extreme hate. It is the most interesting game in the entire series, but is a bit unfinished. It wasn't great, but I certainly found it compelling enough to complete. It starts out rather weak, though (the city portion is dull and broken up by tons of loading), but it has some really nice levels within (just not throughout).

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
one of the most ridiculous parts of DRIV3R is the ending that many of you won't have the patience to get to. the last mission and its boss is one of the worst ever in gaming. and then the FMV that follows... lol, truly truly bad. i anxiously await the DRIV3R speed run videos.

Keyser: Thanks for playing it so that we don't have to.

Che: Can you spoiler block a detailed description of the endgame for those of us who have no intention of playing this game, but enjoy a good laugh?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is the diffuculty about as high as previous Driver games? I swear, some of those missions were just down right impossible and required a lot of luck

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
This is pretty dissapointing. A bad game, not matter the genre, is always a blow to the industry. Especially one such highly lauded and marketed before release.

I was actually looking foward to a rental since it contained a rather realistic rendering of my hometown.

Dekajelly

lol.gif
Those videos are great... and I see they have a Tommy Vercetti clone in there.

If this game has sales anywhere near Enter the Matrix, what little faith I have in casuals will be gone. I really hope Infogrames (Atari) gets hugely burned on this venture.

Wario64 said:

Atari said they would only give out pre review copies if they the review gave it a rating of 9/10 or higher, so that is not surprising.

I have also heard they have contacted some gaming websites and told them not to review them.

Also I played the game a bit more and it starting to get on my nerves now, I don’t even want to touch it let alone finish it.

Pachinko

So it sounds like this is the biggest dissapointment for a oft delayed sequel since tomb raider got a PS2 release. Ouch O rama.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
those websites that are giving it 9's are going to look really stupid in a week

DJ Brannon said:
We always knew that some sites could be bought.

We just didn't know how cheap...

Mayb Rockstar put out word that Atari was paying off people for good reviews when in fact Rockstar was paying off mags to produce bad reviews of Driver 3. :p Conspiracy :p

pilonv1

Suikoguy said:
those websites that are giving it 9's are going to look really stupid in a week

They already look stupid. It's not like the game is a big secret like the Matrix was (where everyone just speculated it was shite), numerous people here have said for the past two months it's horrible.

Actually it doesn't look crappier than True Crimes. Which doesn't mean a lot, but it doesn't look that crappy.

I assure you True Crimes is more fun to play, and it would have more longevity too. Even that retarded Dragon thing is better than Driv3r.

Dekajelly

3/10 - from Channel 4's TV textmag Gamecentral
lol.gif

Last Friday night, Atari held its Driv3r launch party. It had clearly put a lot of money into it but sadly it was terrible.

There's an irony there.

Driv3r is a hugely high-profile title with some massive expectations behind it. We all played the first Driver game and revelled in its simple car chase mechanics and classic movie stylings. The second was really bad but, hey. I really cannot express just how disapointting this game is. It feels bad calling it a game at all. The police have no AI of any kind. Sometimes they can chase you even when they can't see you, other times they give up when they're right behind you. Jumping - ooh, it's hilarious. Your man Tanner just bends his legs then levitates briefly in a wholly unconvincing and ridiculous fashion. The 'physics' in Driv3r can produce some amazing results, with Tannner being forced through the ceiling or walls if he stands in the wrong place.

Enemies are triggered by invisible tripwires, not your actions, and sometimes it's perfectly possible to shoot them to death while they stand there looking at you, unmoving, even as you pump bullets into their faces.

It's diabolical.

Even the driving sections, the reason for the game existing at all, are flat and bland. The roads are largely empty and the controls vague and woolly. Driving the slower cars gives the feeling of a commute, not a car chase. Driv3r is living proof that no amount of money can guarantee a great game. So much time and money has been spent on making flashy movies and cities that there's none left over for the game. This game will be marketed and advertised to death. When you walk into GAME, you'll be surrounded by Driv3r poster boxes and life sized Tanners. Whatever you do, do not actually buy it. If you're desperately curious, then rent it. You'll see all the 'good' bits within an evening and save yourself an extra £5 into the bargain.

Now isn't that generous of atari?

Overview:
Second sequel to the weel-loved Driver game. You drive a car and shoot people.

For:
Nice explosions.

Against:
It cost five pounds extra yet it's buggy, unfinished, the animation is terrible, there is no AI, etc, etc.

Score: 3/10

Release: Friday

Gamecentral said:
Against:
It cost five pounds extra yet it's buggy, unfinished, the animation is terrible, there is no AI, etc, etc.

Oh my brother testify.

--------------

I really don’t think I have ever been so disappointed with a game or company in my life.

Gregory

Banned
Well, after having looked at some very mainstream forums people seem to love the game. And those that haven`t played it yet have only read and heard positive things about the game.

It seems like it`s going to be a smash hit in Europe atleast.

And the 2 available reviews on gamerankings are both 9/10, the latest one from gamesradar.com so...

cja

Those videos make the game look fun. Shoving vehicles onto the freeway below with a fork-lift truck, whats not to like about that! The frame-rate and graphics are way ahead of VC, pity about the impressions. :(

Gregory said:
And the 2 available reviews on gamerankings are both 9/10, the latest one from gamesradar.com so...
The gamesradar.com review is the PSM2 UK review, gamerankings are counting the same review twice thanks to it coming from a website rather than the print mag. Gamesradar, PSM2, Xboxworld, all happen to be Future Publishing media, hmm.

ge-man

Driv3r actually sounds worse to me. At least the vehicle parts in RS are solid--it doesn't sound like they could even get the car part of Driv3r working properly.

Top Bottom