• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day of the Tentacle, a timeless LucasArts classic

DryvBy

dott.gif

I haven't played this game in years, but tonight's the night. I'm going to try and stream the entire game or until I get yelled at by my wife to get off my computer. Plus, I might need people in there to coach me when I forget the puzzles. <---EDIT: Already beat the game. Now I'm in sleep mode. Thanks to those who watched.

What Is It? Warning: Spoilers!!

Day of the Tentacle is a graphic adventure game about three friends who go back to old-man evil Dr. Edison&#8217;s mansion to stop an evil purple tentacle, named Purple Tentacle, from taking over the world. While traveling back in time, thanks to Dr. Edison&#8217;s special time traveling devices, the three are interrupted in the time travel dimension, sending them in different time zones. Hoagie (the fat one) is sent back to the colonial days when the mansion was once an inn for such guest as Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson. Bernard (the nerd on the box) travels to one minute after the time travel took place, also known as present time. Laverne (the psychotic chick) travels to a distant future, where Purple has taken over and humans are treated like animals while tentacles are treated like humans. You play by switching between the three, altering history over and over, to restore order as best as possible. For those who adore terrific endings, DOTT has one of the most hilarious endings you&#8217;ll always remember.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I played through it a few years for the first time. They really knew what they were doing back then.

I also played through Sam & Max Hit the Road at the same time. First time.

When I was a kid the only "point and click" we had was Police Quest. But I could never get past the biker bar.

Yes I know they're two different companies. (Sierra vs. LucasArts)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I still remember being stuck for a month on the mattress puzzle, but overall it was way easier than Maniac Mansion or Sam& Max. Incredible game, one of the top five point and clicks of all time indeed

FTF

Amazing, amazing game. I would kill to have it re-released, even if just on iOS or something.

I still remember being stuck for a month on the mattress puzzle, but overall it was way easier than Maniac Mansion or Sam& Max. Incredible game, one of the top five point and clicks of all time indeed

Oh yes, that was the only place where I finally succumbed to using a walkrhrough. It's the best adventure game I've ever played, I'd love to see it re-released.

So pissed that a NEARLY COMPLETE remake got canned by Lucasarts
The Grim Fandango remaster/remake rekindled my hope somebody can reach an agreement with Disney over it now. Same with Full Throttle for that matter, then my Schafer collection can be complete.

Kasper

While not my favorite of the LucasArts classics, Day of the Tentacle is still a fantastic game and one I return to every now and then.

If the new edition of Grim Fandango turns out to be a success I hope Tim's other old point and click adventures like this gets a makeover.

Great game. I have a box of this game, CD version, everything, manual, etc, in super mint condition stored somewhere in my basement.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'd also recommend, for those who never played it, Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel. Trust me on this one, it rivals Lucasarts' best. Pure old school point and click brilliance

Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_4.png

liquidtmd

Banned
SCUMMVM is your best friend when replaying these classics. Though DOSBox works pretty well too. Disney needs to get all these games on GOG or Steam, somehow.

Disney own these outright now, yes or no? Why theyd want to sit on them instead of just chucking them out via Disney Interactive is a bit strange.

Hell, in terms of effort they could surely just pay a couple of enthusiasts peanuts and get this up and running in a week.

jimboton

Such a great game. Play it and realize to what extent they weren't even trying with Broken Age.
Still salty.

I spent $15 on the lucasarts help line to figure that part out!

Absolute classic. This game is so dear to my heart.

inm8num2

Bernard Bernoulli's walking animation might be my favorite of all time in an adventure game. The high knees, swinging arms, etc. Just completely hilarious and charming to me. :)

Disney own these outright now, yes or no? Why theyd want to sit on them instead of just chucking them out via Disney Interactive is a bit strange.

Yes. When they bought George Lucas's company, that included Lucas Arts as well, along with all of their original franchises. That includes the rights to Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango, probably even Zombies ate my Neighbors, and other things too. They do not own Sam & Max however, which is property of its original creator Steve Purcell, who is now an employee at Telltale Games. But they do own the rights to Sam & Max: Hit the Road, which is why this game has never seen a re-release from Telltale. Disney also owns the rights to Indiana Jones, the characters but not the movie rights. So they could re-release Fate of Atlantis as well, but probably not The Last Crusade, as it is based on the movie. Universal owns the movie rights to the Indiana Jones movies.

They definitely didn't throw these properties out as there are still money to be made in them.

The only reason why Grim Fandango is getting a remastering, is because Disney granted Tim Schafer and DoubleFine a chance to remake it.

duckroll

This is by far my favorite adventure game of all time. It's just so silly and funny, with great design all round. There seems to be a level of quirkiness in the premise and humor of old adventure games which isn't quite as prevalent today.

Firebrand

This and Indy 4 are my favorite LucasArts games. I actually got the two in a double pack (talkie versions!) while on vacation in the UK, though there's a huge crack in the DotT CD now. :(

So pissed that a NEARLY COMPLETE remake got canned by Lucasarts
If it was as crappy-looking as the MI remakes, it's probably for the best.

We'll spread out, commando style. Laverne, you go secure the area behind those double doors. Hoagie, you take care of upstairs reconnaissance. I'll maintain Command HQ here, in the lobby.

It's a great game, but I've always had the feeling it didn't quite capture the spirit of the original which felt incredibly dynamic and had an impressive array of different ways to beat the game. In fact, I don't think we're ever going to see anything in the vein of the original Maniac Mansion again. I really loved the character schedules in Maniac Mansion, it made the game feel a lot more alive than the collection of set pieces that adventure games would eventually become.

FTF

So yeah this thread makes me want to play this game again so bad! But the thing is I only have an iMac as a comp now. It's fairly new (2013) and doesn't have a disk drive.

So how can I play this game?!?? I am aware of ScummVM, but don't really know much about it or how to use it without the disk/a disk drive. (Well I mean actually do have the disk, but it's the pc-cd rom one from back in the day I never got rid of).

Any help would be amazing gafers!

epmode

The gist of ScummVM is that you first copy the game files onto your computer. The folder you use doesn't matter so long as you can find it later. That's *copy* the files, BTW. You don't have to install the game.

Once the game's files are on your computer, start ScummVM and use the Add Game button. Browse to the location of the game files you copied earlier and press Choose. ScummVM should recognize the game and you should be able to launch it from within ScummVM.

There are lots of useful options in the Options menu but you don't have to use any of it if you're only looking to get the game working.

edit: Oh, you don't have a disk drive? So long as you actually own the game, I see no problem with you downloading a pirated copy of the game. The instructions I gave are the same either way.

Top Bottom