• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daytona USA announced for XBLA, PSN

Satchel

Banned
Like others have said, I'd love to see Scud Race at home now too.

Daytona 2 was good, but it wasn't really up there with the first to be honest. But Scud Race was fucking sick.

Wouldn't mind Manx TT superbike either.

Sega is sitting on a fucking GOLD MINE with their old Arcade games, they really need to mine that shit.

The Lost World on PSN with Guncon 3 support please!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Day fucking one. I am so excited for this. Now to decide between hunting down the Xbox FF wheel or getting the Speed Wheel for this. I really hope this is successful and Sega loads XBLA & PSN with arcade ports.

SkylineRKR

Japan CCE is the best version of CCE but its actually not like Daytona at all. The resemblance is there but thats about it. The game feels and controls completely different. I think that the hardcore fanbase hates this game more than the DC one.

The saturn version of classic Daytona USA is ugly as sin, but its easily the most faithful port of Daytona I've played. Until this PSN/XBLA game is around and turns out to deliver.

arit

So my dream of a model2/3 collection/series might finally come true. Did something happen to Sega, so many good decisions in such a small timeframe...

BruiserBear said:
Yes, I watched the video and it looks exactly like the Dreamcast game to me.
This looks like an improved (no pop up) conversion of their Sega Racing Classic arcade game that ran on Ringwide hardware, which means it looks a lot like the original Model 2 version in higher resolution.

The DC version was completely different, both in looks and handling.

Seriously, you need glasses.

Trojan X

Banned
Aizu_Itsuko said:
This looks like an improved (no pop up) conversion of their Sega Racing Classic arcade game that ran on Ringwide hardware, which means it looks a lot like the original Model 2 version in higher resolution.

The DC version was completely different, both in looks and handling.

Seriously, you need glasses.

I think BruiserBear mentioned in realisation that that the Dreamcast and Model 2 version of Daytona USA is completely different so we can cut him/her some slack.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll really be happy if this is simply a feature-complete port. As in, if it has stuff like the no-handicap and damage accumulation modes intact, preferably in option menus and not hidden behind obscure codes.

No achievement for completing a race in reverse is a missed opportunity imo.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Someone over at Kotaku claimed to have been a winner in the contest and got a PSN code today.

Gentlemen, check your inboxes!

Pachael

On par in awesomeness with the Sonic CD reveal!

STCC was golden. Loved the qualifying round and time stacks needed to win.

SkylineRKR

Finaika said:
I hope we get Sega Touring Car Championship next!

The Saturn port was awful.

I have to disagree. Loved the Saturn port. It was unplayable with regular controller, but with wheel or even nights pad it was golden once you nailed it. Great sense of speed as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any reason they didn't get the licence a tiny bit earlier so that they wouldn't have to rename the new cabinets to SEGA Racing Classic?

And is the pop-in fixed or they just had the trailer in parts where it's not as evident? I can't tell...

Finaika said:

Only if they can get the original music tracks. Somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned that the control wasn't so hot in the later Saturn Daytona CCE release, but I remember it working pretty well if you always pushed the 3D Nights pad analog cup out to the edges and steered by rolling the cup from right to left/left to right staying at the edges instead of shifting from the center position. I seem to remember that the DC edition tended to work this way, too. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that those versions still did not match very accurately with the feel of the arcade or even the first Saturn version.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Alextended said:
Any reason they didn't get the licence a tiny bit earlier so that they wouldn't have to rename the new cabinets to SEGA Racing Classic?

And is the pop-in fixed or they just had the trailer in parts where it's not as evident? I can't tell...
It's probably just them wanting to be able to sell the game for perpetuity rather than having to keep pulling it when the licence expires. It's far easier to pull a digitally distributed game than it is to stop shipping expensive arcade machines.

Trojan X

Banned
Finaika said:

I think the next game (it should be the next game if they are using the guy I'm thinking of) is an arcade perfect version of SEGA RALLY under the same specs as Daytona USA. So yes, 1080p 16:9, 4 players Online battle (arcade max is 4 players but there is no reason why they can't modify this to 8 players later and Daytona to 16 players), Online ranking and anything else they can think of. By releasing the original should hopefully get people amp'd for SEGA RALLY 2 and ignore the pain they dished out with SEGA RALLY Revo/3 which is a game that is SEGA RALLY by name.

Other incredible game of worthy mentions that should run with Online play, 1080p + 16:9 and so on are the following:

INDY 500 (8 players online racing) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Ull3qFhlQ&feature=channel_video_title

TOP SKATER (Kinect, Move and Wiimote motion compatible): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF2vajJqrFs&feature=channel_video_title

VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 (Online play and ranking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Db56ESW0Uo&feature=relmfu

WAVE RUNNER (8 players Online racing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfNJfsIUIao&feature=channel_video_title

... Basically, the entire Model 2 roster of games including MANX TT with 8 players play, LA Machinegun with online ranking (need to be an £7.99 game for that one) and many more.

Oh, SEGA TOURING CARS should be included, but its worth noting that even though the music and graphics are incredible the actual game is really not good. If you want to do a test on this theory, try playing the game to no music what so ever then you'll see what I mean. Trust me, its the music that made the game near godly.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LACK OF SEDATIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is incredible news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you guys think *YOU* have been waiting a lifetime for Daytona USA to come home in near arcade perfect form, I have been waiting AN ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally Sega....F_I_N_A_L_L_Y_!!!!

Disappointed I don't have any wheels that work on consoles, so I'll just have to see you guys on the track....with my PS3 controller :p

It took Sega long enough for this to happen but I'm stoked nonetheless.

NOW GIVE ME A PROPER PORT OF DAYTONA 2 AND SCUD RACE WITH SUPPORT FOR UP TO 350 PLAYERS ONLINE IN MULTIPLAYER NAO DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
BruiserBear said:
Looks like a quick and dirty Dreamcast port to me. :/

I figured this all along. Sega takes the quick and easy way out.

If they had just given us an arcade perfect port of Daytona 2, I'd pay $20 without hesitation. I won't be buying this. Not even at $10. Same thing with the Crazy Taxi port. Do it right, or don't do it at all Sega. :|

BruiserBear said:
Yes, I watched the video and it looks exactly like the Dreamcast game to me.

Aaaand after three pages we already have our first troll in this thread. *smh*

Anyway xemunic, TrojanX, TwinTurbo, etc REJOICE WITH ME!!! TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!

"Yer Bernan up the tires!!!"

"Yer lookin' good!"

"Watch that redline on the tach"

"TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME ECKSTENSHUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Yo tiiiime has bin eckstindin!!!"

and of course.....

"THE WHITE FLAG IS UP! THIS. IS. THE. FINAL. LAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Narag said:
I fucking love isamu posts.

I didnt even need to look at the details to know who's post it was
KuGsj.gif

SkylineRKR said:
I have to disagree. Loved the Saturn port. It was unplayable with regular controller, but with wheel or even nights pad it was golden once you nailed it. Great sense of speed as well.

Holy shit. I thought STCC on the Saturn was universally loathed. I remember a friend being disgusted with his purchase lol I warned him after the demo but he got it anyway. I found the frame rate was so inconsistent it ruined the game, literally. Dipping to ~20fps randomly for some corners.. Totally infuriating. This was the PAL port, perhaps the NTSC version faired better.

Anyone remember the official UK Saturn magazine giving STCC a fairly decent 'unbiased' review, only for readers to bombard them with complaints when they bought the game and found it was terrible. Hilarious... If you didn't buy it..

Finaika

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Holy shit. I thought STCC on the Saturn was universally loathed. I remember a friend being disgusted with his purchase lol I warned him after the demo but he got it anyway. I found the frame rate was so inconsistent it ruined the game, literally. Dipping to ~20fps randomly for some corners.. Totally infuriating. This was the PAL port, perhaps the NTSC version faired better.

Anyone remember the official UK Saturn magazine giving STCC a fairly decent 'unbiased' review, only for readers to bombard them with complaints when they bought the game and found it was terrible. Hilarious... If you didn't buy it..
Indeed.

The framerate was awful 20fps. The graphics were muddy. Saturn Daytona (a launch game) was better looking.

At least the music was awesome :D

Galdelico

Trojan X

Banned
Bucket-o-roadkill said:

It's Sega's fault, their lack of support led to the Sega Saturn's death. SEGA had an amazing SEGA RALLY engine that they could have given to every developer so they can create any amazing racing game on the machine but they didn't do it. The majority of the engines SEGA's team created they kept it for themselves. It was only a select amount of developer's that managed to adopt Sega's engine - such Tecmo's team adopting the Virtua Fighter 2 engine to create Dead OR Alive on the Sega Saturn.

Sony was the complete opposite as they push the engine support of their playstation machine to as many developers as possible and it paid off.

So in regards to Sega Touring Cars Championship, the ONLY reason why I purchased on the Sega Saturn was due to the music - it's incredible! The gameplay though is actually really unbalanced, dull and unfair, especially when your car gets so crippled when you take a perfect racing line.
You see, your cars only handle well on very light curves, push any further and they dig in so hard it's damn near impossible to keep the sort of speed you should be achieving with your line and entry speed. To top that off, your control style doesn't apply on the CPU drivers which is unfair. Plus, the mechanics of the last course (your car's response to the tarmac) is completely different from the rest of the game.
It's incredible that the vibe of the game and the gameplay itself in Sega Touring Cars Championship are two completely different things!

SkylineRKR

The guy still getting murdered for his Dreamcast comment? lol. He acknowledged his error though.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:

I still have most SSM's. Great mag. When something was great, they would let you know and threaten to buy it. When they had a chance to throw mud at Sony, they would grab it with both hands. And when a game was crap, they would rip it to pieces. They had big ass Arcade features, and awesome import reviews.

They tore STCC apart (after a very positive preview), but I could enjoy the import. It was fast and became quite a bit better with analog. I'm a sucker for DTM cars as well, loved the Calibra and Alfa 155.

I knew the game from the Arcade, that version being vastly superior ofcourse. I'd buy a PSN port of that. But its not near the top of my wishlist, i'd rather see both Sega Rally games, Daytona 2, Scud and some others I forgot first. Perhaps Sega finally became bored of whoring Crazy Taxi and they'll come through. Here's hoping Daytona is a start.

sajj316

Need more videos/impressions/previews, etc. The game certainly shows it's age but it's classic Daytona at 60 fps (I think).

If this game is a perfect port with issues fixed (pop-up), I'll be in heaven! Everyone buy this game so we get Daytona 2 and other Sega Racing classics!

SkylineRKR said:
The guy still getting murdered for his Dreamcast comment? lol. He acknowledged his error though.

I still have most SSM's. Great mag. When something was great, they would let you know and threaten to buy it. When they had a chance to throw mud at Sony, they would grab it with both hands. And when a game was crap, they would rip it to pieces. They had big ass Arcade features, and awesome import reviews.

They tore STCC apart (after a very positive preview), but I could enjoy the import. It was fast and became quite a bit better with analog. I'm a sucker for DTM cars as well, loved the Calibra and Alfa 155.

I knew the game from the Arcade, that version being vastly superior ofcourse. I'd buy a PSN port of that. But its not near the top of my wishlist, i'd rather see both Sega Rally games, Daytona 2, Scud and some others I forgot first. Perhaps Sega finally became bored of whoring Crazy Taxi and they'll come through. Here's hoping Daytona is a start.

My mistake, you're right about the review. It definitely pointed out all its flaws, it was the previews leading up to release that were absolutely gushing about the title.. Just had a look back, the 180 swerve they did was unreal. In the previews they were proclaiming it to be a Sega Rally beater and how it was 'going to be a classic!', then the review came out and they ate humble pie through the whole thing. Ouch

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
arit said:
So my dream of a model2/3 collection/series might finally come true. Did something happen to Sega, so many good decisions in such a small timeframe...

We share the same dream. My fingers are crossed that we finally get a Super GT port.

I still can't believe I finally got my arcade perfect Shinobi, and we're getting Daytona. At this point anyone who claims this gen sucks needs to be slapped.

SkylineRKR said:

STCC on Saturn is ROUGH. It's a very tough game to play. I spend more time smacking the walls than driving in a straight line.

The funny thing is I never noticed the horrible framerate and gameplay mechanics as a kid. It's only when I went back and played it that I found it to be terrible.

Top Bottom