• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

KissVibes

Banned
Working on 1.7.2.4

Includes a first cast attempt at fixing ALT-F4.

Will put up a Pending Update thread when I have an eta for release

Not good enough.

I don't even care about disconnecting. They really aren't a big issue and really, you can open menu and abort almost as quickly. I just don't want someone ghosting me. It's the cheapest bullshit and a MUCH bigger issue.

Whats the Gaf's server name. I'd like to join you all if no one minds.

You might want to use mumble if you're going to be on US38. Especially if you don't want to get your shit pushed in.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not good enough.

I don't even care about disconnecting. They really aren't a big issue and really, you can open menu and abort almost as quickly. I just don't want someone ghosting me. It's the cheapest bullshit and a MUCH bigger issue.

They really need to just institute a system where by if you log into a different server from the one you logged out of you wont be in the same exact location but some random, safe, location within say like 2km radius.

This would stop ghosting and server hopping for loot, two of the worst issues in the game right now. Sure its inconvenient but its rather necessary. Plus the situation in the game is a lot different from where it was just a month ago, so finding a server to get on to regularly is not an issue. Introducing more options for permanent, server specific, player create structures and modifications would also make the introduction of such a system even less problematic since players would have an even greater reason to stick to one server than they do now.

cametall

You might want to use mumble if you're going to be on US38. Especially if you don't want to get your shit pushed in.

Do you need to be actively chatty to avoid getting instagibbed or just be present in Mumble (in-game name = Mumble name I assume)?

Or will I most likely be instagibbed whether I'm in Mumble or not (nature of the game)?

EDIT: I don't own the game yet, but regaring ghosting/farming, would it be beneficial to use the MMO approach of log out times? 15-30 seconds to actively log out. If you disconnect your character exists for 30 - 60 seconds in the game world (and you can get killed)?

It might stop some of the combat logouts I have read about at least.

WedgeX

Banned
So what's the deal then, Wedge? Are we still controlling chero??

Our base is still fairly secure. Wizard, mirk and broken probably have a great idea of how to protect it further with sniper locations. Wire fencing needs to get set back up in some parts, but the map I made and posted in secret a week or so ago is a decent guide.

Whats the Gaf's server name. I'd like to join you all if no one minds.

Also hop on mumble to join those knaves and n'er-do-wells. Quote this for the info.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Do you need to be actively chatty to avoid getting instagibbed or just be present in Mumble (in-game name = Mumble name I assume)?

Or will I most likely be instagibbed whether I'm in Mumble or not (nature of the game)?

Just listening and being aware of where other GAFers are is good enough, because then you can at least warn them if you are going to be in the area. But its always fun to chat with others, you can easily set a hotkey to mute Mumble if youre in a situation where you need silences to concentrate.

KissVibes

Banned

No, you really just need to be aware of other players and yourself. The worst thing ever is when you ask if one of us is in a specific location, nobody responds, and an innocent get's killed because they didn't pipe up.

Just be aware that the mumble conversations can get pretty wild and off-topic. I'm a pretty big offender of it and I'm going to stop being so off-topic from now on. Don't get confused, general chit chat is fine but it can get pretty bad and LOUD.

EDIT: I don't own the game yet, but regaring ghosting/farming, would it be beneficial to use the MMO approach of log out times? 15-30 seconds to actively log out. If you disconnect your character exists for 30 - 60 seconds in the game world (and you can get killed)?

It might stop some of the combat logouts I have read about at least.

That would probably be the easiest fix.

Is there any kind of comparison out there for people who went the Arma2 Free + Arrowhead vs Arma2CO DayZ route? I hear the graphics are crap, but I'm interested in knowing specifically how crap they are.

I know it's the difference of like $12, but still.

Cheers. Just need to downgrade my beta number to join the server now..

yeah I haven't played in a couple weeks myself, and last night I wanted to get on, so I updated everything to the newest version. Not paying attention to GAF's beta, I installed the latest beta patch. So... same boat as you.

I really want to get some time in this weekend though. Maybe I'll leave my little corner in TeamSpeak and come join the GAF's Mumble.

legacyzero

Banned
Our base is still fairly secure. Wizard, mirk and broken probably have a great idea of how to protect it further with sniper locations. Wire fencing needs to get set back up in some parts, but the map I made and posted in secret a week or so ago is a decent guide.

Do we have an arsenal and storage there? Because I don't have shit. Legacyzero is ready to kill.

They really need to just institute a system where by if you log into a different server from the one you logged out of you wont be in the same exact location but some random, safe, location within say like 2km radius.

This would stop ghosting and server hopping for loot, two of the worst issues in the game right now. Sure its inconvenient but its rather necessary. Plus the situation in the game is a lot different from where it was just a month ago, so finding a server to get on to regularly is not an issue. Introducing more options for permanent, server specific, player create structures and modifications would also make the introduction of such a system even less problematic since players would have an even greater reason to stick to one server than they do now.

Something definitely needs to be done, as I had some prick spawn inside a room I'd just cleared and got shot in the back.

Managed to ALT-F4 out which I normally never do (and which is itself a problem) so at least he didn't get any loot, but it needs to stop.

News Bot

Banned
The game has a big problem with loot spawning right now. Most of the time, towns are completely empty until loot spawns about 15 minutes later. Completely wrecks the whole idea of trying to get in and out and avoid other players.

Flunkie

Banned
Just ran into two guys not too long ago. I approached them and tried to be friendly, but from their actions, I thought they were gonna kill me. So I took off, and one seemed to be flanking me through the woods. If it was any of you guys, I just wanted to be friends! Lost track of you two.

Just ran into two guys not too long ago. I approached them and tried to be friendly, but from their actions, I thought they were gonna kill me. So I took off, and one seemed to be flanking me through the woods. If it was any of you guys, I just wanted to be friends! Lost track of you two.

Mumble!

legacyzero

Banned
Dont be on the GAF server and not be on Mumble.

It's a good way to get dead.

Varna

The game has a big problem with loot spawning right now. Most of the time, towns are completely empty until loot spawns about 15 minutes later. Completely wrecks the whole idea of trying to get in and out and avoid other players.

What the hell... I guess all Rocket truly wants out of this game is deathmatch with zombies. Every single update just seems to perpetuate this kind of gameplay. Real shame, game had a lot of promise.

Vaporak

Picked this up and played with a friend for a few hours. Seems pretty interesting, I might swing by the GAF server next time I get on.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I will make it a point to play almost exclusively on the NEOGAF server.

I am "Ultrazilla" in Dayz as well.

I'll also get on Mumble when playing. :)

So sick of getting a ton of good loot only to hear a loud gunshot and see the hourglass. :(

I still think Rocket needs to revert back to bandit skins or something to benefit honest survivors.

legacyzero

Banned
I will make it a point to play almost exclusively on the NEOGAF server.

I am "Ultrazilla" in Dayz as well.

I'll also get on Mumble when playing. :)

So sick of getting a ton of good loot only to hear a loud gunshot and see the hourglass. :(

I still think Rocket needs to revert back to bandit skins or something to benefit honest survivors.
I was a FULL supporter of Bandit skins. I hated that they were removed.

stryke

Hi guys, I just recently started playing (okay, I've played once and how I died was breaking my leg while sprinting over the train tracks...what's up with that??) and I have a quick question. For some reason the game shows the name of the window's user account rather than a gaming handle/tag. Is there a way to fix this up?

ZenVolta

Hi guys, I just recently started playing (okay, I've played once and how I died was breaking my leg while sprinting over the train tracks...what's up with that??) and I have a quick question. For some reason the game shows the name of the window's user account rather than a gaming handle/tag. Is there a way to fix this up?

Go to profile on the main menu and create a new one with whatever name you want

News Bot

Banned
The server was extremely laggy for me so I couldn't stay in the Mumble long.

On the other hand, got back almost everything I had last run in about an hour. The military tents in Stary Sober are amazing sometimes. This time they spawned several AKM and M16A2s, tons of ammo for each. Also a PDW, G17, M9, Revolver and Remington 870. Decided to take the PDW due to its universal ammo and stuffed the M9 in my backpack, and took an M16A2.

I am now ready for my crashed helicopter voyage. Still need to find a Coyote Backpack and NVG's.

ZenVolta

The server was extremely laggy for me so I couldn't stay in the Mumble long.

On the other hand, got back almost everything I had last run in about an hour. The military tents in Stary Sober are amazing sometimes. This time they spawned several AKM and M16A2s, tons of ammo for each. Also a PDW, G17, M9, Revolver and Remington 870. Decided to take the PDW due to its universal ammo and stuffed the M9 in my backpack, and took an M16A2.

I am now ready for my crashed helicopter voyage. Still need to find a Coyote Backpack and NVG's.

Nice haul! How are the iron sights on the M16? Havent found one yet

zon

Me and my friend found two of this weapon: http://dayzdb.com/database/l85a2-aws

We tried them out against a group of other players yesterday and I have to say... they suck. The thermal is nice, but even if you're just behind a bush you can't be seen in the thermal scope. And when you are using the thermal you can't see if you hit the guy you're shooting at. It also only has nightvision scope or thermal, so you can't see if you're actually hitting your target during daytime if you want to use the scope. As a result we both died. It feels shitty when a regular AK is easier to kill people with than one of the rarest weapons in the game.

Verdict: It's a cool gun to have, but sadly useless in a real firefight (during daytime).

(We were playing on a veteran server with crosshairs disabled)

I'll stick to a proper sniper rifles from now on.

Top Bottom