• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Announces BATMAN: THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE -- April 2010!!! @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.

draven

Spike Spiegel said:
Also, check this out... line up all 4 covers for a secret image...

batmanrobw_cov1to4.jpg

Nice. :D

Andy Kubert you magnificent bastard

Foob

im not sure maybe i posted in this thread already but fuck i honestly wish they would keep grayson as batman...

Alright guys, final two covers to complete the image. Detective Batman and... Batman Batman? :D

<=Click image for full-size version.

<=Click image for full-size version.

Source

And the completed cover image, SANS BLUE LINE THIS TIME DUE TO COMPLAINTS. :mad:

batmanrobw_cov1to6.jpg

WedgeX

Banned
Spike Spiegel said:
Alright guys, final two covers to complete the image. Detective Batman and... Batman Batman? :D

Awesome, I've been using Pirate Batman as my background since you posted it. Never gets old! :lol

Can't wait for the series...and having money to purchase said series.

Teh Hamburglar said:
which is a shame. Dick Grayson as Batman has been a fresh experience.

So true. I hope they have a cool new take on Nightwing once he's given the Bat boot. Dick's always been one of my all time fave characters.

I like Dick Bat as much as Bucky Cap. It's a shame the status quo can't be changed for good. =[

I...I think I may get these Batman Reborn issues and frame them. Looks really cool together.

Has Morrison ever said Bruce gets the cowl back upon his return, and where? And how sure are we that Dick actually wants to be Batman? This week's B&R proves that he's already second-guessing himself.

Spike Spiegel said:
Has Morrison ever said Bruce gets the cowl back upon his return, and where? And how sure are we that Dick actually wants to be Batman? This week's B&R proves that he's already second-guessing himself.

Bruce becomes Nightwing confirmed.

Spike Spiegel said:

Dude, just looking at those pictures of Bruce throughout time answers it, the man is Batman, cowl or not. :lol

Now in living color!!! :O

<= Click image for full-size version.

Source

BATMAN: THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE #1-2
Issue #1 on sale MAY 12 • Issue #2 on sale MAY 26 • 48 pg (#1), 40 pg (#2) FC, $3.99 US
Written by GRANT MORRISON • Issue #1 art by CHRIS SPROUSE; Issue #2 art by FRAZER IRVING
Covers by ANDY KUBERT • Issue #1 1:25 variant cover by CHRIS SPROUSE
Issue #1 1:200 Sketch variant cover by ANDY KUBERT • Issue #2 1:25 variant cover by FRAZER IRVING

The most anticipated series of 2010 is here! Superstar writer Grant Morrison tackles his most ambitious project to date with THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE, a special six-part series that chronicles the return of the original man behind Batman’s cape and cowl! Each issue spans a different era of time and features the dynamic artwork of one of today’s artistic juggernauts, starting with Chris Sprouse (TOM STRONG) on the extra-sized issue #1 and Frazer Irving (SEVEN SOLDIERS: KLARION) on the 40-page issue #2!

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with multiple covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

*drools*

DihcarEM

Spike Spiegel said:
Or maybe Bruce becomes Dick's Alfred. It'd be just like Batman Beyond!

Oh god i hope not, there's only one true Batman and his name is Bruce Wayne.
I never did like Batman Beyond's Bruce, for a man so obssessed with his mission, to simply give up and retreat from all humanity rang so false. Age would never stop the real Batman, dieing on the battlefield sounds more true to his character.

Penguin said:
Kind of preferred it in black and white. :lol
Yeah, I'm not too keen on the color scheme myself, it looks too muted and brown. Doesn't "pop" like I thought the finished piece would.

Needs more blue/orange! ;)

Spike Spiegel said:
All of the covers have now been colored and connected. Gorgeous, but very black/brown and the hidden Bat-symbol isn't as easily distinguishable as with the inked artwork.

CLICK FOR IMAGE

Source

Looks great and I'm extremely excited for this. Love the hidden Bat-symbol, and for me, it's pretty easy to see it, but it's probably because I was used to seeing it on the non-colored versions.

Thanks for the links!

Penguin

Spike Spiegel said:
All of the covers have now been colored and connected. Gorgeous, but very black/brown and the hidden Bat-symbol isn't as easily distinguishable as with the inked artwork.

CLICK FOR IMAGE

Source

Maybe because I'm looking for it, but I find the giant bat-symbol easier to find now that it is colored. :lol

IGN has an article on the upcoming miniseries with writer Grant Morrison and cover artist Andy Kubert, plus more designs/sketches and each colored cover individually and in high-res. They go through each of the different time periods with Grant and Andy, and talk about their goals for writing/drawing each era's Bruce Wayne. Check it out!

Source

IGN Comics: Were there any eras you considered but didn't select?

Grant Morrison: I wrote an entire 'Gladiator Batman' story for the second issue, based around a chase across Rome in the reign of Tiberius and I'd originally planned to do a story with medieval knights and a French Revolution 'Scarlet Pimpernel' thing. Then I realized that the plot was playing in a way that meant Bruce had to stay in the Gotham area for each of the different time periods. He moves in time but not in space.

I couldn't find a way to shift him effectively from Paleolithic era America to Imperial Rome and then to Chivalric England, so the whole second issue was scrapped. The choices of eras to visit were based on interesting and Batman-appropriate time periods in U.S. history hence the extreme jump between the Late Paleolithic era in #1 and 17th century Gotham Village in #2.

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305113925435.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114449086.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114640319.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114852458.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114205948.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305113806406.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114121636.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114331306.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114554491.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114724178.jpg

batman-the-return-of-bruce-wayne-20100305114750193.jpg

Chris Sprouse's variant cover for the first issue was revealed today at DC's blog:

Source

<-- click thumbnail for full-size version.

And, last week they ran the full rundown of the scheduled artists for the miniseries, along with Frazer Irving's variant cover for issue #2. Already detecting a theme, the variants would appear to be headshots of Bruce Wayne from each of the different eras. Should prove to be a nice contrast to the Kubert regular covers.

The artists for RoBW shall be:

#1: Chris Sprouse
#2: Frazer Irving
#3: Yanick Paquette
#4: Cameron Stewart
#5: Ryan Sook
#6: Lee Garbett
Source

<-- click thumbnail for full-size version.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So many awesome things are happening on my birthday. Siege 4, Return and Steam on Mac...fuck yes!

DihcarEM said:
Oh god i hope not, there's only one true Batman and his name is Bruce Wayne.
I never did like Batman Beyond's Bruce, for a man so obssessed with his mission, to simply give up and retreat from all humanity rang so false. Age would never stop the real Batman, dieing on the battlefield sounds more true to his character.

bruce quit in batman beyond when had to pull a gun on a kidnapper due to his failing health. he would have the batman legend fade away rather than having some random punk kill him and destroy the legend.

Gio_CoD said:
So how did the idea of Batman as a pirate get past the brainstorming phase?
:lol seriously

he should just look like Bruce Wayne with stubble or a beard, normal cloths, a utility belt, and thats about it. why the fuck does he have to look like a cave man or a pirate?!?!?!

Yousefb

wow dude this looks awesome, never bought a comic in my life but I really wanna read this series! Guess I'll be at newbury comics day one

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ephemeris said:
*clings to his Grayson-Bats as the countdown continues*

Don't worry, I'm doing the same. I'm really hoping it'll be a Cap/Bucky deal going on by the time things are done.

MisterHero

I didn't really think hard about it until now but the ending of Final Crisis turned out to be like the Wrath of Khan, though instead of "searching for Bruce Wayne" he's going to find his own damn way back. :lol

Yousefb

can someone explain the whole Cap/Bucky deal? I don't follow captain america so I dunno how that would apply to Bruce and Grayson. Thanks :)

Yousefb said:
can someone explain the whole Cap/Bucky deal? I don't follow captain america so I dunno how that would apply to Bruce and Grayson. Thanks :)
Basically, Captain America, Steve, "died" and Bucky, who used to be Cap's sidekick, became the new Captain America. So it;s the same as Bruce/Dick. The protege became the mentor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom