• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or alive 4 breaks 1 million.

hyp

nice. i expect some of the sales to help itigaki and his "legal" troubles. :lol

Altaïr

Banned
Dont tell sonycowboy how some Xbox games can sell more in Europe than in the US, his theory about the Splinter Cell franchise "dying" would be crushed.

goldenpp72 said:
Tecmo announces today that its title Dead gold Alive 4 ran out to more than one million specimens from its exit during winter 2005/2006. On the whole, these are 500.000 specimens of Dead gold Alive 4 which found taking in Europe, 400.000 in North America and 100.000 in Japan.

http://jeux-france.com/news18066_dead-or-alive-4-passe-le-million.html

Credit to Vspectre.
I'm calling BS. There's barely 100,000 360's in Japan, no way did DOA4 get attached to all of them.

The Europe and American numbers don't pass the smell test either. "Shipped, not sold" should become the new NeoGaf motto.

Mr Jared

141652729X.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37455834_.jpg

goldenpp72

actually I recall many months ago with those charts that doa4 broke 85k, so it isn't some amazing feet to have it sell a massive 15k more.

Mr Jared

Adam Blade said:
Nice tag.

Yeah. Funny, because it's from some douche kid who has never seen me play anything. I don't even remember who said it. He kept crying in IRC one day that I wouldn't pirate SFA3 to play him online. . . with my keyboard. lulz.

Back to this lame "shipped or sold" debate again. :lol Doesn't really matter either way since Tecmo is still making money from both.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Petrarca said:
Itagaki's involved in a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by a former Tecmo employee.

oh. that. i get the joke now :lol

some reason i was thinkin "gears of war released" ::shrug::

Petrarca said:
Itagaki's involved in a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by a former Tecmo employee.

by the way, why did the mod lock that thread anyway?

Probably because it was six pages of people making smileys at sexual harassment.

LevelNth

Banned
Wasn't sonycowboy saying that Europe 360 sales were only just over a million a few weeks back? There must be a hell of a lot of copies sitting on shelves there then.

Juice

Whoever bought the millionth copy was obviously contributing to the culture and arrogance that resulted in that poor girl getting groped.

HyperZone<3 said:
I'm calling BS. There's barely 100,000 360's in Japan, no way did DOA4 get attached to all of them.

The Europe and American numbers don't pass the smell test either. "Shipped, not sold" should become the new NeoGaf motto.

I thought the 360 passed the 150,000 mark recently. Granted not a lot more than 100,000 but enough to make it a more reasonable 66% attached rate instead of 100%.

icecream

Public Health Threat
HyperZone<3 said:

It's obviously shippped, but like it has been discussed in various threads like this, it doesn't matter, Tecmo still pockets the money.

You shouldn't be surprised. DOA4 had ~93,000 sold in Japan so far, with a userbase of ~166K consoles, a couple months later could do the trick. Same with America, ~270,000 sold back in August. As for Europe I recall an old sales thread and it was in the 100Ks as well back then, so this is certainly believeable, if not a bit later than expected.

2600 said:
I thought the 360 passed the 150,000 mark recently. Granted not a lot more than 100,000 but enough to make it a more reasonable 66% attached rate instead of 100%.

Team Ninja games were the best selling games on the original Xbox, a 66% attach rate is not out of the question.

Juice

You know, I think "Shipped, not sold" would make for a far better tagline for the site than "Believe"

Especially now that there's so little to believe over, what with another 4 years until new console time.

Dahbomb

Raw64life said:
241,130 ...as of September NPD. The PR says 400k in North America so it is most likely shipped.
So that's what, 150K copies of DOA4 on US shelves? I guess we can expect a massive price drop in the next month or so... :lol

skybaby

Dahbomb said:
So that's what, 150K copies of DOA4 on US shelves? I guess we can expect a massive price drop in the next month or so... :lol
Those copies were sold and the publisher already made the money. This shipped not sold argument is stupid as hell...

Nemesis_

Facility and Ruin fighting arenas confirmed for free download!

Oh wait.... >_>

Seriously though, maybe a download of the DOAU costumes for every character would be out of the question, correct?

Rud13inJapan said:
Just imagine how many copies they would have sold if they made a good fighting game :lol

No seriously think about it.

As someone who enters fighting game tourneys, DOA4 being one of them, I resent that remark.

bill0527

I'm kind of shocked to see this number.

I really didn't like the game at all

I didn't find it to be a huge step up from DOA: Ultimate and the D-pad on the 360 controller sucked for this game. There's nothing casual friendly about the game at all. It requires a lot of practice to be any good at it and I just don't have that kind of time for fighting games anymore. Maybe back in 1994 I had that kind of time for Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, but not anymore.

Adam Blade said:
Quit trolling. The schtick is getting old.

I trolling because you have no argument to prove that DoA4 is a good fighting game. A troll would have just posted something about how street fighter is more advanced, or Temco must make all their fighting games for 12 year olds.

Either way...to call me a troll in this forum must mean you have impeccable standards.

Rud13inJapan said:
I trolling because you have no argument to prove that DoA4 is a good fighting game. A troll would have just posted something about how street fighter is more advanced, or Temco must make all their fighting games for 12 year olds.

Either way...to call me a troll in this forum must mean you have impeccable standards.

I don't have to argue at all. If you make a blanket assumption, the burden of proof is on yourself to provide support for your statement. I don't even know why I'm responding to this after looking at your post history.

Dahbomb

Adam Blade said:
I don't have to argue at all. If you make a blanket assumption, the burden of proof is on yourself to provide support for your statement. I don't even know why I'm responding to this after looking at your post history.
I wonder how long is going to take before someone starts dissing Tekken in this thread... :\

Klotera

To get it out of the way: I like DoA4 and I'm not apologizing for it.

Now... on to the topic at hand. Given that it's sold a respectable number of units, can we ever expect any downloaded content for it? There should be enough units to justify it. I'd personally like to see a new stage or two and some new costumes (most of the previous games had far larger costume selections - I remember even DoA1 for PSX had 15 for the female fighters - of course, it also had physics that make DoA4 look like an advertisement for NOW by comparison)

Nemesis_

I think Itadaki said there's no DLC what so ever. I would seriously like to see some of the DOA3 / DOAU costumes at least, as well as a few arenas from the old games. =(

Dahbomb

goldenpp72 said:
I find it funny people are asking for DL content, different camp from the ones boycotting it? :p
No problem in DLC if the final game is solid and the DLC itselves are worth it. The problem comes when games are half-assed and you have to pay for shit that should be free anyway...

Ok that should be left for another thread. :lol

Since there's no competition for the 3D fighter market on the X360, I'm not suprised that DOA4 is selling well.
:goes back to writing to Sega regarding taking Virtua Fighter 5 multiplatform:

Stop mocking me. I do feel strongly about this, and I have my reasons to back my feelings up, but let's stay on topic for the moment, okay?

Top Bottom