• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 new trailer and screenshots

Griss

See the thread bumped: 'Hopefully this is new content and not more controversy bullsh-- HOLY SHIT!'

But man, are they going all out with this. Absolutely shameless. I'm gonna need to see Hitomi before I make any decisions though. So far Marie looks too young facially, Honoka is just ridiculous, and while Kasumi has the perfect body type they fucked up her face real bad (look at that poster for fuck's sake). On the bright side Ayane has been improved nicely.

Not enough there to get me to buy in, but if Hitomi gets the Ayane treatment then I'll be there. Still kills me that it's Marie and Honoka in all these sexy poses rather than the likes of Christie and Mila. Damn you democracy!

I'm not a fan of Honoka, I expecially hate her theme song the most to the point that it's the only song I changed it in the game but I'm liking her swimsuits the most. As for the characters I care about Marie Rose's swimsuits aren't that good for the most part and Nyotengu hasn't been shown enough :(.

Funny, I love that theme. Game needed a more diverse range of music. I even put it on Hitomi and the circus level as I think it suits both.

RMI

Banned
See the thread bumped: 'Hopefully this is new content and not more controversy bullsh-- HOLY SHIT!'

My thoughts exactly.

I was sending some order cancellations to amiami recently and thinking, "Do I really, really, REALLY need DOAX3?" and the answer is "YES."

That Marie Rose cat swimsuit is scandalous. I thought they were going to be keeping her outfits a bit more modest (like her DoA5 swimsuits) but NOPE.

Jabba

Banned
Ok, i just want to know if people actually think the game will be fun to play. Because it looks terrible but people are upset it isn't coming here and I don't really understand why. I mean, boobs, ok. But it's really expensive for boobs.

I had over 1100 hour saves on both games. Doax 1-2. As long as they don't change it too much and start putting power meters and shit onscreen, it's fun to play. The first game was easier to play to a degree. The second game wasn't as easy to judge the ball but with practice familiarity that also went away. It was easy to win 7-2 or so with two willing, playing partners. This is one of the most important things in both games. Getting partners to like each other was important to winning. Some partnerships took half a fucking vacation, to resemble any sort of team play on the VB court. Like Ayane/Tina, Kasumi/Ayane, Helena/Christie.

It'll be fun for sure. I just hope Team Ninja has an auto clearing inventory this time.

I had over 1100 hour saves on both games. Doax 1-2. As long as they don't change it too much and start putting power meters and shit onscreen, it's fun to play.

Hmm, can you fill me in, then. I am seriously curious about the gameplay (no pre-order or even decision to buy yet).

Mainly because I borrowed DoA Paradise game (which from what I understand is is a toned down DoAX2) back in college before returning it only after a very short while. After a while, I felt more like I was just grinding money and doing the same things over and over. Is it really a repetitive and grindy game?

cireza

oqBklyi.gif
What is this anime ?

Jabba

Banned
Hmm, can you fill me in, then. I am seriously curious about the gameplay (no pre-order or even decision to buy yet).

Mainly because I borrowed DoA Paradise game (which from what I understand is is a toned down DoAX2) back in college before returning it only after a very short while. After a while, I felt more like I was just grinding money and doing the same things over and over. Is it really a repetitive and grindy game?

From a gamers standpoint absolutley. It's a huge grind. Many people used the game to relax though. Play a few rounds of vb, some mini games etc. I myself never got 100% as it was waay too grindy to put every suit on every girl. They used to throw away suits they didn't like. Not just the skimps either. You could give a skimpy suit over 10 times all the while having to repair the relationship inbetween with other gifts to get the target girl to even accept the suit. To a lesser degree, certain colors were rejected.

I recall in the 1st game I tried 15 times to put the Venus on Tina. Threw it away all 15 times.

You can see how that is maddeningly grindy. My advice is, if you're not a perfectionist, focus on your favorite girls and suits. Get the suits on your favs, anything else is a bonus.

The girls behavior also carried over to a degree from one vacation to the next, contrary to some beliefs. I played with Ayane/Tina for a long time. They hated each other in the beginning , sometimes they'd throw a low level favorite gift away or flat refuse with a no thanks. Later vacations saw them with red music notes no matter whom I played starting from any new vacation. Eventually they liked each other, even got to grauvre them together at that point.

Some had a favorite or preffered time of day also. Tina didn't care, Ayane was grumpy as fuck in the morning. Iirc Kasumi liked midday.

The game is actually way more thought out than given credit for by some. Sure, the T n A is there but it is much more than that. In bigger saves you'll see some weird behavior once in a great while.

Synth

I recall in the 1st game I tried 15 times to put the Venus on Tina. Threw it away all 15 times.

The girls behavior also carried over to a degree from one vacation to the next, contrary to some beliefs. I played with Ayane/Tina for a long time. They hated each other in the beginning , sometimes they'd throw a low level favorite gift away or flat refuse with a no thanks. Later vacations saw them with red music notes no matter whom I played starting from any new vacation. Eventually they liked each other, even got to grauvre them together at that point.

The game is actually way more thought out than given credit for by some. Sure, the T n A is there but it is much more than that. In bigger saves you'll see some weird behavior once in a great while.

Seeing as you mentioned the relationships carrying over multiple vacations. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but (in the first game at least) if Tina's repeatedly chucking away the Venus when you tried to gift it to her, you switch to playing as Tina for the next vacation after trying 3 or so times to give it to her. If you then befriend the character you were playing as before, and give her stuff she likes, she'll almost always try to offer you the same swimsuit you were trying to give when playing as her before... except now since you're playing as the target, you can accept it without any drama. It was honestly the only way completing the game was even remotely feasible.

Jabba

Banned
Seeing as you mentioned the relationships carrying over multiple vacations. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but (in the first game at least) if Tina's repeatedly chucking away the Venus when you tried to gift it to her, you switch to playing as Tina for the next vacation after trying 3 or so times to give it to her. If you then befriend the character you were playing as before, and give her stuff she likes, she'll almost always try to offer you the same swimsuit you were trying to give when playing as her before... except now since you're playing as the target, you can accept it without any drama. It was honestly the only way completing the game was even remotely feasible.

Yeah I was aware. My post was getting long for the questioned asked. Even so, the game was still too grindy with that trick. I did the roulette trick after awhile too. With all of both content of our posts, vb just wasn't enough money to sustain the grind if you know what I mean.

The Tina effort was before the trick was found. I did the 15 tries the second or third day after purchase.

Synth

Yeah I was aware. My post was getting long for the questioned asked. Even so, the game was still too grindy with that trick. I did the roulette trick after awhile too. With all of both content of our posts, vb just wasn't enough money to sustain the grind if you know what I mean.

The Tina effort was before the trick was found. I did the 15 tries the second or third day after purchase.

Ah ok... well that's what you get for trying to go straight to endgame content. :p

But yea, it was far too grindy whatever the case. DOAX2 was a million times worse though, with no reliable strategy for giving (outside of "cheat"), the rejections being entirely random (with an insanely high rejection probability) and the gameplay itself in order the get the money being weak. Going 7-1 instead of 7-0 because your teammate basically falls asleep standing up once per game was infuriating whilst you're trying to pay for the 20th rewrapping of the gift, lol.

My thoughts exactly.

I was sending some order cancellations to amiami recently and thinking, "Do I really, really, REALLY need DOAX3?" and the answer is "YES."

That Marie Rose cat swimsuit is scandalous. I thought they were going to be keeping her outfits a bit more modest (like her DoA5 swimsuits) but NOPE.
This is a fan service game so keeping Marie Rose the only one being modest would be wierd, that said she's the one getting the least interesting swimsuits. The only one I like from MR is the stripped blue swimsuit that she uses on the first promotional art, I also like a little the cat bikini but it feels like something is missing on the design.

Still, my favorite so far has been Nyotengu's red swimsuit and after that one all of the ones Honoka has been getting... this game really needs more Nyotengu promotion.

Jenny

Banned
Not sure why the revealing Marie Rose swimsuits are a shock to anyone. Her outfits were more conservative in DoA5 because that game is released worldwide. DoAX3 is Japan + Asia exclusive so they don't need to limit themselves. With the whole KT not wanting to release it in the west because they don't want to hear flack from people and have no backbone to release it here. I'm sure they would have loved to have her outfits more risque in DoA5 but due to how players can fight each other regardless of what country they live in country specific DLC just wouldn't work.

raven777

Not sure why the revealing Marie Rose swimsuits are a shock to anyone. Her outfits were more conservative in DoA5 because that game is released worldwide. DoAX3 is Japan + Asia exclusive so they don't need to limit themselves. With the whole KT not wanting to release it in the west because they don't want to hear flack from people and have no backbone to release it here. I'm sure they would have loved to have her outfits more risque in DoA5 but due to how players can fight each other regardless of what country they live in country specific DLC just wouldn't work.

Yea this. I posted this in past thread, where the DOA5 Halloween costume was toned down

when we look at the Halloween costume for Marie Rose
this was the highest ranked Marie Rose costume.

but we got
this for the actual costume in the game.

Synth

I swear I did something like this though

Maybe they patched it out? I don't remember anymore.

If you consistently got your target to take any swimsuit on a second try, then I want a lock of your hair or something so I can leverage your comic book levels of good luck. :p

It's definitely not a case of any patch either.

If you consistently got your target to take any swimsuit on a second try, then I want a lock of your hair or something so I can leverage your comic book levels of good luck. :p

It's definitely not a case of any patch either.

Christie and Ayane took forever that I recall, but I swear something about jamming up their inventory worked

Dont remember now if this was part 1 or 2

Synth

Christie and Ayane took forever that I recall, but I swear something about jamming up their inventory worked

Dont remember now if this was part 1 or 2

Nah, jamming up the inventory could be used to force them to wear a specific outfit once they had already accepted it (in case you wanted say a full island of women in Venus swimsuits, heh). You'd throw all their other clothes in storage and then fill their inventory with useless non-expiring crap... as a result they could never pull another costume out of storage because the AI isn't allowed to discard any of your items.

God, I played too much of that games, lol...

EDIT: Actually, you may have needed them to have two of the same outfit in order to prevent them placing the outfit they're wearing into storage in order to pull a different one out... that'd explain part of what you're recalling.

You'd throw all their other clothes in storage and then fill their inventory with useless non-expiring crap... as a result they could never pull another costume out of storage because the AI isn't allowed to discard any of your items.

God, I played too much of that games, lol...

Sounds like you were on the dev team for DOAX2. Was the office sticky?

This Arabian princess outfit is really cute. They could have just replaced the thong with something more proper.

dbP9dLZ.gif

Synth

Sounds like you were on the dev team for DOAX2. Was the office sticky?

lol... nah, I just played it far more than I have any valid excuse to have. There was a surprising amount of community discussion around the games inner working back in the days, as everyone tried to work out the best routes to success. Itagaki teased some (seemingly fictional) mechanic called the "god hand" which would allow a player to gift any outfit to any character... so naturally, everyone started trying to work out what it was and how it worked.

He also claimed that he'd reveal what it was the day he stopped working on Dead or Alive... the lying sack of shit, lol.

I just played it far more than I have any valid excuse to have. There was a surprising amount of community discussion around the games inner working back in the day, as everyone tried to work out the best routes to success. Itagaki teased some (seemingly fictional) mechanic called the "god hand" which would allow a player to gift any outfit to any character... so naturally, everyone started trying to work out what it was and how it worked.

I don't think anybody had a valid excuse to play that game. I didn't know about the community depth and Itagaki's stirring the sexual swimsuit pot. What a bastard.

I never played the game but anyone who was anyone knew it was Venus or GTFO.

There were a few I liked better because they just looked better on specific girls. I actually regretted the Venus on Ayane, it's much more of a Tina and Lisa suit

Nyotengu for instance would look best in something that's all string

There were a few I liked better because they just looked better on specific girls. I actually regretted the Venus on Ayane, it's much more of a Tina and Lisa suit

Agreed. There are some suits that are genuinely well designed, but the lexicon of knowledge I referred to was crafted by 13 year olds at release.

Nyotengu for instance would look best in something that's all string

Planning on having some desires fulfilled are we?

Sulik2

I don't think anybody had a valid excuse to play that game. I didn't know about the community depth and Itagaki's stirring the sexual swimsuit pot. What a bastard.

Wasn't it decided that God Hand was the level 4 super fast rising notes?

I really hope the gifting and relationships stuff is clearer and less grindy. 8 years should have been plenty of time to refine those mechanics a bit.

Top Bottom