• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 |OT| Can I Play With Madness?

Ghazi

I really liked how in "The Story So Far" trailer they acknowledged the stuff from the books about Altman instead of ignoring it. I know a lot of series's that blow off the books as not canon. (Looking at you Halo and The Fall of Reach)

Isaac and I are ready.

Are you?

20130203_194533yekb1.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
So how flexible is the weapon crafting? Can you make some crazy weapons out of it? or it is just set customizations with some slightly different parameters as you place in different stocks and barrels.

I need a good pair of headphones for gaming (especially for immersion based games like this) but I don't want to pay so much money for them.

Oublieux

I need a good pair of headphones for gaming (especially for immersion based games like this) but I don't want to pay so much money for them.

This is contradictory. Don't fall for the trap of headphones that are marketed as gaming headphones... these are usually not the best quality, mostly all style. A good entry level pair would be something along the lines of AKG, Denon (I prefer these as they have a bassy signature that's not overpowering), Beyerdynamic, Sony, and more. But, really, for immersive audio, you're going to need to drop at least 100 dollars. At least.

This is contradictory. Don't fall for the trap of headphones that are marketed as gaming headphones... these are usually not the best quality, mostly all style. A good entry level pair would be something along the lines of AKG, Denon (I prefer these as they have a bassy signature that's not overpowering), Beyerdynamic, Sony, and more. But, really, for immersive audio, you're going to need to drop at least 100 dollars. At least.

Oh I know. Still, good advice. $100 wouldn't actually be too bad for something legitimately good; doesn't have to be top of the line, just... efficient.

I picked up the Sony Pulse Elite headset (above one) from Future Shop for 109 bucks plus tax. It retails for 150 but Amazon.ca had it for 135 so the Future Shop guys price matched it and beat it a little plus I had a gift card. The Future Shop near me didn't have much choice within my price range but I'm pretty happy with these. Wireless, great sound and bass, pretty comfortable. Recharges through the USB on the PS3. I'm not an audiophile and don't have much experience with headphones so my knowledge is very limited. But I like these and dropped a lot less than I had to. Still tinkering with the settings but I played the DS3 demo and it sounds pretty damn awesome.

They look nice and aren't ugly as well. And there's the gaming mic built into the left side, so you can use the headphones wherever with your mp3 player and no boom mic sticks out the side.

LEGGZZZZ

Could you name a good pair in the 200$ to 300$ range?

I picked up the Sony Pulse Elite headset (above one) from Future Shop for 109 bucks plus tax. It retails for 150 but Amazon.ca had it for 135 so the Future Shop guys price matched it and beat it a little plus I had a gift card. The Future Shop near me didn't have much choice within my price range but I'm pretty happy with these. Wireless, great sound and bass, pretty comfortable. Recharges through the USB on the PS3. I'm not an audiophile and don't have much experience with headphones so my knowledge is very limited. But I like these and dropped a lot less than I had to. Still tinkering with the settings but I played the DS3 demo and it sounds pretty damn awesome.

I was looking at these but was skeptical-- this definitely sounds promising though.

I'm not an audiophile myself either, when it comes to headsets at least, so I'd probably be much less picky than others.

So, is this coop business a side story, or is it the main campaign? Is it recommended to play coop?

I am starting to understand why RE fans hate RE5 (though I find most RE 4 extremely non-scary, so playing 5 coop does not distract from the nonexistent scare/dread for me.)

Will the limited edition be like the darksiders 2 LE, where I can pick it up months after? Still haven't played the first two.

So, is this coop business a side story, or is it the main campaign? Is it recommended to play coop?

I am starting to understand why RE fans hate RE5 (though I find most RE 4 extremely non-scary, so playing 5 coop does not distract from the nonexistent scare/dread for me.)

Co-op is drop in, drop out. If your playing single player, it feels single player. No AI character following. Co-op has some minor different cut scenes with also 3 side missions that you can only do co-op. It feels Dead Space all the way.

It's the main campaign, but the story and difficulty changes to accommodate two players. Single player is just Isaac on his own (but Carver is a character in the story, but you only meet up with him a few times). Co-op changes the narrative so Isaac and Carver go through the journey side-by-side. Single Player is still classic Dead Space through and through, no worries about an AI partner or anything.

Will the limited edition be like the darksiders 2 LE, where I can pick it up months after? Still haven't played the first two.

Probably. Go away and play the first two and then come back. Trust me, amigo.

Oublieux

Could you name a good pair in the 200$ to 300$ range?

Oh I know. Still, good advice. $100 wouldn't actually be too bad for something legitimately good; doesn't have to be top of the line, just... efficient.

I find it difficult to recommend a particular headphone because each person has their own individual tastes. I've used Denon and Beyerdynamic for gaming because both brands are known for having a sound signature that emphasizes the bass (while maintaining clarity so that the rest of the sound isn't muddy). A lot of people recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770's for gaming but they're on the upper end of the pricing spectrum and usually require an amp if you're going for 80 Ohms or more to get good sound.

I recommend heading over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...guide-updated-1-28-13-k702-65th-anni-ed-added

It's a guide for headphones and how they sound for gaming; it might be more suitable for your needs. If you can, though, I would recommend going to a store if there's one near you to listen to the headphones directly. There's just no comparison for finding a headphone that you'll like :)

Note: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006NL5SM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well... there seems to be a pretty damn good sale going for the Beyerdynamics too.

jrcbandit

So what are the best kind of weapons to build? The preorder weapons do seem pretty powerful near the beginning of the game, especially the Evangelizer. I haven't really used the Negotiator yet, but I wasn't that impressed due to the low ammo count.

Also, there is a way to play the PC version early if you have pre-loaded it from Origin, but I am not sure if posting how is bannable? It doesn't require any illegal files, just gotta trick Origin.

RoKKeR

So what are the best kind of weapons to build? The preorder weapons do seem pretty powerful near the beginning of the game, especially the Evangelizer. I haven't really used the Negotiator yet, but I wasn't that impressed due to the low ammo count.

Also, there is a way to play the PC version early if you have pre-loaded it from Origin, but I am not sure if posting how is bannable? It doesn't require any illegal files, just gotta trick Origin.

I used the Korean VPN trick for BF3 and never got banned/warned for it. (though I do think it is advised against/not recommended) You essentially just make a small switch in where Origin thinks your computer is coming from. Doesn't require much work. A quick YouTube search of the BF3 one will probably be sufficient, and I'd imagine it will work for Dead Space as well.

RobertMuldoon

Neo Member
I loved the first Dead Space and DS2 was good, but after playing the demo for DS3 I couldn't be less excited. The graphics look dated, the scare tactics have been done before, and it just feels like it doesn't know if it wants to be a horror game, or coop action game.

Czigga

I just preloaded the PC version the game from Origin. While I still can't play it, there is a link to the game manual (pc version)

akamai.cdn.ea.com/eadownloads/u/f/manuals/GAME-DEADSPACE3/Manuals.zip

Zip has all the languages. Nothing too special in there. Some game mechanics are mentioned that I haven't heard much about yet
Rappelling, 'scavenger bots'
for example. No story spoilers though, just super-basic plot setup.

Sorry if I'm not allowed to post this for some reason.

Oublieux

Hey, I posted that same like for the Beyerdynamics! Seriously great headphones. Can't recommend them enough. Their comfort is unmatched.

Hey, do you use a specific amp or anything? I typically use the headphones for the PC (using the Xonar STX soundcard which has a dedicated amp) but need something for the console and other sources.

I roll with Beyer DT990s, a clip on mic, and an Astro Mixamp. The DT990s have an exceptional soundstage (field of sound) and bass that's really punchy for a non-closed design. Mixamp gives me Dolby 5.1 via optical and enables voice chat.

For anyone thinking about gaming headphones, I would start with an Astro Mixamp regardless of what you're going to get. As mentioned above, the Mixamp decodes Dolby Digital 5.1 via optical from your system and turns it into a simulated 5.1 signal for your headphones. Though it only uses the two speakers in your headphones, the surround positioning with simulated 5.1 is outstanding and many say it performs better than those fancy cans with 5 individual speakers in them. Without a Mixamp, you'll be plugged into your TV and will only receive a 2 channel signal.

For headphones, I would go with DT990s or Sennheiser PC360s. I like the DT990s a bit more for quality, but the PC360s have an onboard mic so you don't have to bother with a clip on. Astro A40s/A50s are decent, but you could do better. Their main selling point imo is that you can get them bundled with the Mixamp for less hassle in assembling your setup.

I feel like a peasant, not having a headset for gaming/music. Dead Space is the one series I'll have to replay if I ever manage to save enough.

Rule of thumb: Avoid Turtlebeach, and anything that advertises with CoD.

JJD

Man you already spent most of this generation without a headphone. Save your money now and buy one compatible with the next gen consoles. You'll get much more bang for the buck that way.

I hook my Xbox up to a 22" monitor with a $20 Creative 2.1 speaker set and for chat I use the headset that came with the system.

For PC I use a pair of Plantronics Gamecoms that are duct taped back together. the mic doesn't work, so I use a $10 Logitech desk mic.

They're not pretty, but they get the job done.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Hey, do you use a specific amp or anything? I typically use the headphones for the PC (using the Xonar STX soundcard which has a dedicated amp) but need something for the console and other sources.

I haven't invested in one for my TV yet, so I just use my portable headphone amp. It's a Fiio E06. It's really for my MP3 player, but I like using the bass-heavy EQ for movies and games.

I should really get an Astro mixamp. In fact, I think I'm going to do that on Tuesday. I don't want the headset, just the amp.

Moff

is there any way to unlock games early on origin, just like you can on steam?
I tried spotlux, but origin cant connect when its on, and with flyvpn shanghai I dont get an earlier release date.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Does anyone have suggestions on headphone amps that would give me surround sound? If I could avoid dropping $130 on an Astro, that would be preferable.

If I weren't a junior, I would actually make a thread on the topic. There are a lot of amp options.

Whoa there, inintially I didn't know what people were talking about when they mentioned the PS3 demo looked blurry, but my precious HD CRT just crapped out on me. I hooked my PS3 up to a 1080p LCD and now the demo looks noticiably worse. Both the XMB and the PSN games I tried look nice and crisp, but the DS3 demo looks somehow muddled and jaggy at the same time. Any ideas how to remedy this? I'm praying it isn't an issue with the final game. The visuals are still serviceable, but the switch between sets has been quite jarring. Any advice (besides getting a tv with a better scaler) is much appreciated.

Whoa there, inintially I didn't know what people were talking about when they mentioned the PS3 demo looked blurry, but my precious HD CRT just crapped out on me. I hooked my PS3 up to a 1080p LCD and now the demo looks noticiably worse. Both the XMB and the PSN games I tried look nice and crisp, but the DS3 demo looks somehow muddled and jaggy at the same time. Any ideas how to remedy this? I'm praying it isn't an issue with the final game. The visuals are still serviceable, but the switch between sets has been quite jarring. Any advice (besides getting a tv with a better scaler) is much appreciated.

Do you have 720p checked in your PS3's visual settings? The game will tell the PS3 which resolution out of the ones you have checked will be optimal and will display as such. The PS3 has shit upscaling so forcing 1080p can make 720p native games look really bad.

Moff

these options are fine. not overwhelming but fine.
I remeber dead space 2 was really bad when it came to this. no ingame option for vsync and even the nvidia inspector had troubles forcing it.

Eideka

Banned
these options are fine. not overwhelming but fine.
I remeber dead space 2 was really bad when it came to this. no ingame option for vsync and even the nvidia inspector had troubles forcing it.

As far as I remember the vsync option was there but it introduced very noticeable input lag.
I hope DS3 won't suffer from this, in any case D3DOverrider is there.

Do you have 720p checked in your PS3's visual settings? The game will tell the PS3 which resolution out of the ones you have checked will be optimal and will display as such. The PS3 has shit upscaling so forcing 1080p can make 720p native games look really bad.
Yeah, I tried it with all resolutions checked and with forced 1080p. I couldn't make out a definitive difference. I'm still holding out hope that perhaps I've overlooked something.

Bittercup

Yeah, I tried it with all resolutions checked and with forced 1080p. I couldn't make out a definitive difference. I'm still holding out hope that perhaps I've overlooked something.
Did you try to force 720p? Bioshock had the same problem of looking quite blurry when 1080p was enabled. With 720p as the only active setting the image quality was significantly better.

Did you try to force 720p? Bioshock had the same problem of looking quite blurry when 1080p was enabled. With 720p as the only active setting the image quality was significantly better.
You're beautiful. Unless I'm imagining things at first blush this seems to help. Not sure why it doesn't just default to native resolution with the option checked, but it looks like I'll be manually turning 1080i/1080p off when I play this game. I haven't checked other retail games yet, but methinks I'll go this route with any 720p content for the time being. Thanks!

Top Bottom