• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Extraction (Wii - EA/Eurocom) Details, Trailer

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
On the plus side I played Eurocom's Duke Nukem game and that wasn't...a crime against humanity.

sprocket

Banned
Looks great .. good setting. coming off of a decent game. Too bad I will never buy it.

Ok any devs that may be looking at NEOGAF today. repeat this sentence a 150 times.

PUTTING A GAME ON Wii DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO GIMP IT!

and now they are going to wonder why it only sells 200k

MarkusRJR

HK-47 said:
Then it will already be more ineffective then the already pretty tame DS.

Jump scares and monster closets arent all that effective as the only type of scare.
The thing is though... rail-shooters are NEVER scary. I'd rather have F.E.A.R. like scares (seeing as it's the only FPH game I can think of) than none at all.

Also, you seem to forget that DS mainly consisted of jump scares. *runs away to hide*

Haunted

Sega was right when they said that Wii is killing the arcades - it's clearly taking all the lightgun shooters for itself.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sprocket said:
Looks great .. good setting. coming off of a decent game. Too bad I will never buy it.

Ok any devs that may be looking at NEOGAF today. repeat this sentence a 150 times.

PUTTING A GAME ON Wii DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO GIMP IT!

and now they are going to wonder why it only sells 200k
counter-argument: money

maxmars

dk_ said:
On rail shooter hm? Fine with me.

At least they didn't rape the Dead Space IP with a messy port à la Dead Rising Wii.

^^^

If that was the alternative, I'll take the on rail shooter. I do have two zappers and a perfect shot now, I'll just turn my house into an arcade, lol.

Oh and there are other consoles, where Dead Space is in HD and already out, so no need to be angry. Let's be happy more games of good quality are coming, shall we?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kinggroin said:
*sniff

I know.

I fucking know.

edit: Though a focus on atmosphereic and psychological scare with some "Fear-like" scares on the side would be my best bet. Something akin to System Shock.

I swear this generation is going to end, and this will be yet another Nitnendo console we move on from with a shit load of potential untapped.

Like the one other dude said jokingly, at least this may fund DS2 :p

Hopefully by then someone finds a way to hack the 360 to allow wiimote controls on it.

You probably already can play it with wiimote on PC.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I hope the game allows some sort of dual wielding.

Haunted said:
Probably.

And stop quoting me before I'm done editing the shit out of my posts. :lol
Lynch him! :p

Mantorok

Ok, whilst I agree that the Wii is ideal for on-rails shooters I do disagree with EA using an existing title, slapping a prequel on it and creating the most simple interface they could with the Wii possible.

What are they trying to achieve? Casual-gamer appeal? Good luck with that because 90% of the purchasers of this title are most likely gamers who are already aware of DS on the other 2 platforms.

So I ask you EA, why not just keep the same gameplay and continue with the prequel - what more do you stand to gain going for a more simple genre? I really don't see any gain apart from pissing people off, the Wii is starved of big action/adventures, would it not be better to cater to a starved audience...?

farnham

Banned
The Wii owners are just celebrating the house of the dead Overkill as their new hardcore blockbuster...

And many people liked Umbrella Chronicles when it came out..

I dont think we should dismiss the game because its on rails..

Of course i would have loved a RE4 Wii edition - esque game.. but i dont think that the game will be ruined by its genre alone

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jocchan said:
I hope the game allows some sort of dual wielding.

Lynch him! :p

Hopefully with dual guns that shoot needle like projectiles that stick to enemies and then explode. I bet everyone would start using it as a de facto term for dual wielding cause its so cool.

bartris

Neo Member
Wii Will Rock U said:
I think I am the only person who is really happy that this is on rails.

Honestly, this looks pretty sweet.

No I'm happy too, I doubt that the atmosphere could be replicated on the Wii unless it was more controlled, and on rails. Plus it lets the game look many times better then it would otherwise.

Like others i'm glad they didn't do a terrible port like Dead Rising.

pakkit

Banned
HK-47 said:
Hopefully with dual guns that shoot needle like projectiles that stick to enemies and then explode. I bet everyone would start using it as a de facto term for dual wielding cause its so cool.
The Needlers sucked in Halo 2, Halo 3 Needlers FTW.

Like I said, I'm probably buying this. I just was expecting a nice beefy adventure game for the Wii. Hopefully when Fall comes around MadWorld and the Conduit will have satiated those desires so I can actively look forward to this game. It's just right now, I can't really get a rise out of another rail shooter.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
KGKK said:
But it is not coming out till Fall so...
there will be more and better games to occupy my time than some pissant railshooter based on a game that has more substantial gameplay. yeah, the game look fine, but fuck me if they expect me to be excited over this. i'm just pissed another interesting looking game fell through in terms of content because some developer thought it would be "more appropriate" for the Wii audience.

Gwanatu T

handofg0d said:
Well I happen to LIKE rails shooters, so this sounds pretty cool to me.

There's nothing wrong with on-rail shooters when the game SHOULD be designed on-rails. Examples of this are Ghost Squad and HOTD. Even though RE:UC turned out well, I don't think it should have been on rails, and Dead Space surely shouldn't. I just finished chapter 6 of Dead Space on the PC last night and I'm looking forward to the second half of the game here, and when I found out about Dead Space Wii being a whole new game (prequel) I got incredibly excited only to be shot out of the sky, tumbling to the ground and splatting harder than those fat aliens. EA, seriously? An on-rails shooter for one of your best original IPs? Such a shame.

Oh and the graphics are mind blowing. THIS IS WHAT WII CAN DO! GET IT IN YOUR HEAD DEVS!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yaceka said:
The thing is though... rail-shooters are NEVER scary. I'd rather have F.E.A.R. like scares (seeing as it's the only FPH game I can think of) than none at all.

Also, you seem to forget that DS mainly consisted of jump scares. *runs away to hide*

Right which is why Dead SPace was quite tame. The enemies screaming at you before attacking certainly helped kill the atmosphere as well.

Also play System Shock, the sewer section in STALKER and the OCean Hotel in VtM: Bloodlines to see effective FP scares.

Vinnk

I can see why people would be disappointed that it is not a 3rd or 1st person shooter and everyone know the Wii needs more of both of those. And EA really should have given something to one of those types of games.

But for me this game just went from a "maybe" to a "buy". I adore light gun shooters and this one looks like it could be really fun.

On one hand, I like rail shooters. On the other hand, I really didn't want this to be a rail shooter.

It's like RE:UC all over again.

Also, Eurocom is ewwwwwww gross.

MarkMacD

A new Dead Space game? On Wii?!?
Isaacespacingplanetsafelyonshuttle.gif
8D

.....On rails!?

Necromorphnicoleattacks!.gif
T_T

I guess someone in marketing noticed Umbrella Chronicles sales...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
farnham said:
The Wii owners are just celebrating the house of the dead Overkill as their new hardcore blockbuster...

And many people liked Umbrella Chronicles when it came out..

I dont think we should dismiss the game because its on rails..

Of course i would have loved a RE4 Wii edition - esque game.. but i dont think that the game will be ruined by its genre alone

House of the Dead always was on-rails - there is the difference...and there already have been on real resident evil games and we know how capcom milks their ips.... but dead space on rails ? eurocom ? come on man ea - that`s just pathetic...

why even bother with it ? i'll buy boom blox bash party....

VAIL

Wii Will Rock U said:
I think I am the only person who is really happy that this is on rails.

Honestly, this looks pretty sweet.

Nope... I do agree the could have went 1st/3rd person shooter, but rail games are just fun.

To me, it's a win either way.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MarkMacD said:
8D

.....On rails!?

T_T

By skipping over RE4 sales? :(

hiryu

Woah, game looks great and it being an original use of the IP is awesome too. The Wii is perfect for on-rail shooters so count me as excited and optimistic.

Mardil

Holy shit it looks amazing, if done right this game will be a lot scarier than your average survival horror game. I'm impressed by the graphics...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
In theory I don't mind it being on rails, but its just that Wii owners already have a shit ton of options for that. Meh.

MarkusRJR

MarkMacD said:
8D

.....On rails!?

T_T

And I guess they didn't notice that a port of the last gen RE4 sold more than RE:UC, while at the same time being on a console where you could buy and play the original Gamecube version on...

I think this will sell fairly well and a good amount of people will enjoy it. But Nintendo, could you please start capitalizing on your leadership position in a software manner? Where is a game of Resident Evil 4 type quality for the Wii? We got it for GameCube, what's the problem?

jeremy1456

Haunted said:
Eurocom's track record is pretty awful, although half of those games are just port jobs. Graphics in the trailer looked good.

True, which is why I edited my post to include RE: UC. :D

edit: and when exactly did GAF start hating lightgun shooters?

Ever since FPS games reached mass popularity.

Haruspex

Banned
On-rails shooters don't strike me as the best genre for developing an immersive, unsettling atmosphere. Will be interesting to see if they can pull it off, they will have to put a lot of work into the small details like the ability to turn the reticule off and the motion of the character.

bumpkin

And you know, it actually looks... Good? I know RE Umbrella Chronicles got loads of hate but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I for one am optimistic that DSE will be solid. The trailer looks to be on the right track; seems to nail the mood of the 360/PS3 game perfectly.

Top Bottom