• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space is amazing so far!

Hey GAF, since I gave Dead Space another chance today, thought I'd gush about it here! This game is nothing short of incredible so far. It's got it all: Fantastic gameplay with the dismembering and great graphics/lighting! Considering it's from 2008, I'd say it's aged really well. Right now the only nitpick I got is that there's no 180 degree turn. Would've been useful in fleeing from Necromorphs if you needed to. Other than that, the controls are great and intuitive, and everything just works! Can't wait to progress more in this game

Holy shit you’re really fucking late to the party bro. It’s a fantastic game, and I love all 3 of them. I’m assuming you’re on PC? When you get to 3 if you need a boy to co-op with then hit me up!

Yup, playing it on the PC with the Steam controller for dat sweet gyro aiming! I got the first Dead Space on GOG but seeing as how the other 2 aren't on GOG will get them on Steam probably. Assuming I make it up to DS3, I'll consider your offer then

MrA

Banned
Holy shit you’re really fucking late to the party bro. It’s a fantastic game, and I love all 3 of them. I’m assuming you’re on PC? When you get to 3 if you need a boy to co-op with then hit me up!
all three are good games, though I think the first is the best, the second is still good, but I preferred the single environment setting of first, the third is... also still good because the distance between dead space 2 and a bad game or even mediocre game is huge and 3 is just has a handful of annoying design choices..

Elcid

Banned
all three are good games, though I think the first is the best, the second is still good, but I preferred the single environment setting of first, the third is... also still good because the distance between dead space 2 and a bad game or even mediocre game is huge and 3 is just has a handful of annoying design choices..
3 is a really fun co-op game, but agreed, 1 is the best.

OP playing it on a Series X or PS5?
Saw some gameplay recently off a XSX. Looked like a newish game.

Games are awesome.

Playing on PC with the Steam controller for gyro aiming! The graphics are fantastic from a 2008 game, would've thought it was a PS4/Xbox One game if noone told me

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Series was amazing up until 3, I personally always felt 2 to be the superior title but only because of the new forms which are just so great, the AI for those raptors that hang out in the crate room always gave you a sense of dread when you recognised the type of layout a room was and knew for a fact they would be in there, the pack while easy to deal with will never not be unnerving.

good luck and enjoy the series your in for a real treat up until 3.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I only played the first( not sure why) but the ishimura is such great environment. It feels like a real place and the game is great. Today It’s hard to believe that game came out of EA studios. Hopefully Zampella can turn EA around I am really hopeful.

I'll replay them once I have an SX in my living room. I really enjoyed playing 1&2, 3 is okay but I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

dcx4610

I absolutely hated the game at first. I didn't understand the dismembering mechanic or that you could change the angle of the shot. Once I figured that out, it became my became one of my all time favorite games.

2 was too action oriented for me. Every room was wave after wave of monsters where the first game had plenty of exploration, puzzles and survival. 2 and 3 are still worth playing but are different in tone.

OrtizTwelve

I’ve heard a lot about this game too and never played it. It’s on game pass all three of them. In a nutshell what is it about ?

I absolutely hated the game at first. I didn't understand the dismembering mechanic or that you could change the angle of the shot. Once I figured that out, it became my became one of my all time favorite games.

2 was too action oriented for me. Every room was wave after wave of monsters where the first game had plenty of exploration, puzzles and survival. 2 and 3 are still worth playing but are different in tone.

Thank you. I always felt like the love for DS2 was odd since to me it felt way different than 1. It was still great, but not the same.

I had the same vibes with RE2/3 vs. RE4.

MiguelItUp

I'm so excited for you OP! Dead Space 1&2 are some of my favorite games, period. 3 was still worth playing, but it's nothing compared to the first two games IMO. I loved everything about the universe. It didn't take long for me to start sponging up and fall in love with the lore. Then there's all the blatant influences that are all things I adore as well. Ugh, it's so good!

I just wish it could and would come back. :(

Thurible

Pretty good horror game. I really liked the attention to detail, there are unique death scenes for every enemy and situation and some of them are completely cringe inducing and disturbing. My favorite (or should I say least favorite?) has to be the head enemy death. It pries off your head and quickly replaces it before you even have the chance to collapse from the decapitation and slowly saunters off with your body.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The Dead Space trilogy is so awesome. I'm always meaning to play it again but Game Pass keeps distracting me.

Now what's even worse, I've heard about some BR drives making terrible noises so I thought I'd better check mine. Unfortunately the first game I grabbed to test it was Fallout 3 and just hearing the intro music compelled me to hit start now I'm totally sucked back into the Capitol Wasteland again for a few hundred hours.

I was happy to find the BR Drive on my Series X is super quiet. :messenger_winking:

After FO3, I have to go back and finish Gears Tactics but then I think I really need to play DS 1-3. It's such great series and the only horror game that actually ever scared me.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It’s a good series, particularly the first two (I think Dead Space 2 is the best one). Dead Space 3 justifiably got mixed reviews but I don’t want to derail this thread, so I’ll just say Congrats on discovering the series!

Maximusz

Come on EA, do a Mass Effect on this as well - Trilogy remaster and a sequel. Loved the franchise, first one was the best for its shock value while they improved the gameplay with the second.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Yes OP .. Dead Space is one of a kind and everything about this game is really good. We missed games like Dead Space or let me say we missed Dead Space and we need a comeback

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What’s captivating about Dead Space is the sense of isolation it gives you at times. You’re essentially a janitor, going to a ship that’s basically a living nightmare, and you’re going up against an enemy that has their own unique backstory throughout the entire series. The sounds from being inside the ship, the tracker on your suit, the upgrades, weapons, and so much more make Dead Space such a memorable game. It’s like being inside an industrial plant and hearing those massive fans spin and spin. The plasma cutter is a great starting weapon too. Shoot off limbs, upgrade it, and then maneuver it to get the job done. You feel like you’re not a super human, but a blue collar worker with just a sense of survival to make it to the end. I also loved the certain locations you get to visit and how it all comes together. The 3rd one was definitely a step back after 1 & 2.

Pragmata and Returnal could definitely bring back the same element of horror in space.

Bankai

I still have to play Dead Space as well! Just never got around to it. Will probably play in on PS3, since I have that version laying around.

Thanks for reminding me! :)

DogofWar

Dead Space is a great game indeed. Never made it through all of 2. I somehow grow tired of the formula half way through everytime.

Mastering the combat is really fun as well and you become less and less scared because you master how to deal with the most common enemies. The enemy variety is great however and you will always be on your toes for the next horror.

Top Bottom