• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dean Hall (DayZ) working on big MP game with Tencent's funding

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-14-dean-hall-rocketwerkz-dayz-multiplayer-new-game

Oh, and we know the new game is not Ion, the survival space game announced at E3 2015. That's a separate thing; a collaboration with a tech company called Improbable in London, UK.

I spoke to Dean Hall about his new game but he was cagey.

"What I will say is it's multiplayer," he told me. "We're really drawing a line in the sand here and saying ... that's where we want to be planting our flag in the ground; carving out new territory in terms of new multiplayer genres, or re-purposing different parts of other genres.

"I believe it's a gap in the market," he added. "For that reason I'm going to be pretty coy about exact specifics of it - also because of expectations and how experimental we are at the moment. I need to be deliberately coy; I need to avoid a kind of War Z situation."

Tencent is not the publisher of the new triple-A game but an investor in RocketWerkz itself - a partnership that's enabled the studio to grow from five people to 26 in the last year.

As part of the [Tencent] partnership, and basically for the last six months, we very quietly completed what I would call a revolution in the industry, by pulling some great people out of studios like Creative Assembly, Bethesda, Bohemia - so we've really pulled in some very senior staff into this crazy little country at the end of the world.

More at the link, including how he considers Chet Faliszek of Valve his mentor as he wants to build the Valve of South Pacific as he stated before.

kulapik

How about you finish your damn game and release your other damn game that we haven't heard of since E3 2015 before announcing another damn game?

jryeje29

He's lost my support after DayZ but then again I think I'm done with early access games completely after DayZ

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Dean Hall: I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept and I’ve always recognised that. It’s not the perfect game; it’s not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it.

This quote alone soured me on him and I will never, ever buy or back anything he is remotely involved with.

DayZ imho is still a mess. Big deal, they *finally* got it to run a bit better in cities. The game is not anywhere near being completed.

DayZ and Ark: Survival are huge warning signs to Early Access supporters. Tread carefully.

I don't think you can really blame Dean for the mismanaging of DayZ, whatever the hell happened to that game was higher up than him.

The development at Bohemia is split between a bunch of different higher priority teams and DayZ was lowest on the block, they didn't get the talent or the budget they needed to make the game they were promising....they still haven't.

I don't think you can really blame Dean for the mismanaging of DayZ, whatever the hell happened to that game was higher up than him.

The development at Bohemia is split between a bunch of different higher priority teams and DayZ was lowest on the block, they didn't get the talent or the budget they needed to make the game they were promising....they still haven't.

That's fine but that reputation will follow him to any of these multiple projects he is trying to sell next.

Karish

QFT

Time to prove us all wrong Dean. That means no early access, people won't trust you with that.

I met Dean at PAX a few years back and he genuinely seemed to care about his game and was a nice dude. I feel like some others have stated that it was kind of out of his hands, but at the same time people are right to be extremely skeptical of his projects. I mean we should be extremely skeptical of all early access projects anyway IMO.

man, a lot of people are super salty over DayZ.

The game was flawed on many levels, however I cant think of a recent game that gave me more memorable experiences on a multiplayer basis. The simple dynamics of role playing, having situations rapidly evolve and become chaotic messes is something I've never really seen done again.

The issue DayZ faced, is that after everyone figured out it's mechanics after a few months of playing, and people became bored with it. Once that happened, characters weren't valued, and people simply camped out and went on killing sprees, running around spawn points.

Then the Stand Alone drama happened, and for the most part people were freaking out about the lack of content, even with Dean constantly posting and telling people to not buy the game if they are not willing to deal with an insane amount of development time and issues.

And then... people get mad because a game in development faces major developmental issues after they were being called out for death because the release of the Stand Alone was delayed (people were freaking the fuck out over a game they had not purchased, feeling betrayed and stuff because reasons).

So yea, I think Dean got a raw deal with DayZ. He could have handled things better for the release, but anyone who gets mad that game development doesnt go as fast as people want in an open development game were warned.

I mean, the idea that Dean is forced to stay on development for a game he no longer wants to work on is laughable. He's not a slave, there is a team developing this game, why was him leaving development some type of major betrayal to everyone, like people in this thread who are personally offended that he wanted to work on something else?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
were warned.

Were we warned he'd up and bounce before the zombies weren't land-sharks clipping through buildings and adding features instead of making the fucking zombie survival game a zombie survival game instead of a team deathmatch/shoot on sight simulator?

No?

Then we have every right to be pissed with Dean Hall. Stop apologizing for him.

DayZ did innovate on what people expected from a multiplayer game, what with the emergent stories and fragile rivalries/alliances. I'm curious if his new concept can be something fresh again but I'd be very impressed if lightning can strike twice.

Were we warned he'd up and bounce before the zombies weren't land-sharks clipping through buildings and adding features instead of making the fucking zombie survival game a zombie survival game instead of a team deathmatch/shoot on sight simulator?

No?

If Dean stayed on board the game would still be exactly where it is today, the problem with the game clearly isn't on him, if Bohemia wanted that game finished it would have been by now.

Being "pissed with Dean Hall" is hilariously childish by the way, how thin is your skin that such a thing can bring you to anger?

man, a lot of people are super salty over DayZ.

The game was flawed on many levels, however I cant think of a recent game that gave me more memorable experiences on a multiplayer basis. The simple dynamics of role playing, having situations rapidly evolve and become chaotic messes is something I've never really seen done again.

The issue DayZ faced, is that after everyone figured out it's mechanics after a few months of playing, and people became bored with it. Once that happened, characters weren't valued, and people simply camped out and went on killing sprees, running around spawn points.

Then the Stand Alone drama happened, and for the most part people were freaking out about the lack of content, even with Dean constantly posting and telling people to not buy the game if they are not willing to deal with an insane amount of development time and issues.

And then... people get mad because a game in development faces major developmental issues after they were being called out for death because the release of the Stand Alone was delayed (people were freaking the fuck out over a game they had not purchased, feeling betrayed and stuff because reasons).

So yea, I think Dean got a raw deal with DayZ. He could have handled things better for the release, but anyone who gets mad that game development doesnt go as fast as people want in an open development game were warned.

I mean, the idea that Dean is forced to stay on development for a game he no longer wants to work on is laughable. He's not a slave, there is a team developing this game, why was him leaving development some type of major betrayal to everyone, like people in this thread who are personally offended that he wanted to work on something else?

People weren't angry that a game was in early access, they were angry that very very little apparent progress was being made in the standalone. It basically felt like they relegated tasks to some newbie coder and said to him "just make sure you have something for our bullet point list every month or two.

I mean the game is barely changed from its original release state. It seems to many they abandoned it almost from the start after cashing in on the hype from the significantly better DayZ Mod. Which only exists because of extensive work from the community.

Obviously I don't know the politics between Dean and Bohemia, what I do know is the standalone was a resounding disappointment and when the game was to a degree being sold on Dean Halls experience and name then he is inextricably linked to that title whether the fault lies with him or not.

Nazo

Excited to see this game never be finished.

Seriously though, why do people keep giving this dude money?

If Dean stayed on board the game would still be exactly where it is today, the problem with the game clearly isn't on him, if Bohemia wanted that game finished it would have been by now.

Being "pissed with Dean Hall" is hilariously childish by the way, how thin is your skin that such a thing can bring you to anger?

Exactly. He brings nothing to the table but a lack luster history and a failed project. Now he's seemingly abandoned his project he announced at E3 for some random multiplayer that's "filling a niche " DayZ was supposed to do that to and he had multiple competitors show him up. I expect the same here.

No?

If you read my post, I talked about the entire SoS simulator stuff. When people put in 50+ hours in a single game, that is in development, then you can't really put in enough content WHILE developing a game.

So you were dealing with the game still being developed, while having to develop content to try and keep the people who have already mastered content of the game satisfied.

I mean, are you really blaming Dean on the fact that after X amount of time, a player isn't going to want to find a blood transfusion to heal and will simply want to commit suicide? That when a group of assholes are tired of gearing, they will just go into a city and cause chaos? You can't stop bored people from doing that stuff.

And honestly the biggest appeal of DayZ was the PvP, zombies were never all that interesting in the mod, except for causing chaos during PvP. Making the game interesting is the consiquences of combat with character health, ammo, food, water, but like I said, it's hard to keep people invested when they just want to get back in shoot at people.

So yea, you were completely warned when buying the game in early development.

This was literally in the game description when released

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.

Top Bottom