• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear White People |OT| Bet You Think The Show Is About You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised they dumped the troy dating the daughter and trying to get in with pastiche plot line from the movie

Pastiche and kurt don't feel like a big threat like they were in the movie but then most of the show takes place after the events of the movie. commentary on how the (white) son of a university head can get away with this shit like it was nothing?

They also got rid of Lionel being with the other frat and getting bullied by them but kept his weariness of Armstrong parker. This new guy playing the editor is a lot less creepy than the movie version

I do like the change with troy being more friendly with lionel instead of being a douche

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Episode 8 and I only now notice the episodes aren't an hour long. So much happens in these episodes that they feel longer.

LionPride

Banned
This white guy got to comfortable using Nigga at this party...

Speaking of the music though, using Gambino and now Trap Niggas...whew I'm here for it

"We need to do what they did in Germany...I meant the educating kids about our horrible past part, not the..concentration camps part."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This white guy got to comfortable using Nigga at this party...

Speaking of the music though, using Gambino and now Trap Niggas...whew I'm here for it

"We need to do what they did in Germany...I meant the educating kids about our horrible past part, not the..concentration camps part.
"

Was so jarring to go from that right to the climax of the episode in all of about a minute.

LionPride

Banned
Was so jarring to go from that right to the climax of the episode in all of about a minute.

Seriously, I knew what to expect the moment I heard Trap Niggas playin at the party, but I still didn't know how to take the end besides staying tense as hell. To see one of my greatest fears presented in such a manner rn, does something to me. The entire Reggie episode was so good

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Seriously, I knew what to expect the moment I heard Trap Niggas playin at the party, but I still didn't know how to take the end besides staying tense as hell. To see one of my greatest fears presented in such a manner rn, does something to me. The entire Reggie episode was so good

Yeah. I don't say it was jarring as a negative. Shows just how quickly things can change.

The show is funny as hell.

Late Season spoilers

I don't see why Sam told Gabe he was right to call the police. I mean I think there is important lesson to learn that calling the police for a situation that isn't completely out of control has a good chance of escalating the situation far beyond where it needs to be.

PixelatedBookake

Yeah I kinda felt like I had to throw up after that moment. It felt so real and terrifying. I don't think I've seen a show that handled a
black person/police encounter
like that. When the cop asked
"Are you a student?"
got me feeling some kind of way being a black college student myself and having my validity as a student being questioned due to my race.

Yeah I kinda felt like I had to throw up after that moment. It felt so real and terrifying. I don't think I've seen a show that handled a
"Are you a student?"
got me feeling some kind of way being a black college student myself and having my validity as a student being questioned due to my race.

I can't tell you the amount of times I got asked what sport's scholarship was I at school on. For people saying this show is completely unrealistic, you must not have been in school recently.

LionPride

Banned
Yeah. I don't say it was jarring as a negative. Shows just how quickly things can change.

"Are you a student?"

It got me shook as a black kid bout to go to a college where the white population is mighty big, just...ahhh

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The show is funny as hell.

Late Season spoilers

I don't see why Sam told Gabe he was right to call the police. I mean I think there is important lesson to learn that calling the police for a situation that isn't completely out of control has a good chance of escalating the situation far beyond where it needs to be.

He trusts the police. He thinks they will help. I am white, but I saw that as the point of the while thing. The series even established the campus police as being able to handle a situation like that without escalation with the blackface party where there wasn't any escalation because of their presence.

caliph95

Oh good it seems the discussion continues i was hoping there would be i wonder what cause a two page bump..
Ugh I hate when racial consciousness/topics exclusively is brought up in a white/black context. African Americans are far from the only minorities affected by racism in the US, yet they are almost seen as ambassadors of the non-white side of the racial dialogue. Many minorities relate as little to black people as they do to white - blacks dont represent all of us. So dear black people: stop acting like racial representation is a white vs black thing.
of course

Opto

Banned
Small complaint: they aren't playing clean versions of songs on the school radio. you can't play songs with fuck in them

Sunster

Him calling the cops was just problamatic as fuck

he's the quintessential white liberal ally.

There are real live Gabes right now who watched the end of episode 5 and believe it was unrealistic how it all happened.

yea
I was surprised he called them, seemed pretty clueless of him. but I thought he was a pretty good ally prior to that revelation when he came up with the protest idea.

on the other hand....

he didn't bother to attend just cuz his gf cheated. then lied when he finally did show up, saying he was there to support Reggie. so I guess that says a lot about his true motives.

LionPride

Banned
This nigga got a red durag

The only people I've ever seen wear a durag that ain't black or white are white people, and people in gangs reppin they set

Troy ain't any of that

Episode 2

Man, that was great. Lionel's awesome. Dude was looking clean as fuck after that cut. I'm never getting rid of my hair unless my hairline starts looking like Stevie's. And that touch your hair first, ask if it's okay second shit can be real annoying.

GKnight

Banned
"Why is it that in American media, the black men always seem to be so obsessed with white women?"
"Anal."

I didn't understand most or all of that scene, yes I get that that part was a joke

Being "disappointed" in her for dating a white guy aside (creepy Reggie being possessive) I have never heard people say black men aren't good enough for black women... the dialog has always been the other way around and like
"oh rich black men need to marry white women because black women aren't good enough."

it seems like they just made that argument up for the show.

Really? Because both sides are things

it may be so but it is the first I have heard about it and I haven't been plugging my ears.

LionPride

Banned
I didn't understand most or all of that scene, yes I get that that part was a joke

Being "disappointed" in her for dating a white guy aside (creepy Reggie being possessive) I have never heard people say black men aren't good enough for black women... the dialog has always been the other way around and like
"oh rich black men need to marry white women because black women aren't good enough."

Really? Because both sides are things

caliph95

This is major first world problems but i wish i can look for clips on youtube without going through pages of think pieces on whether the show is racist enough, i just need that defamation clip not a video essay

LionPride

Banned
So many people who believe that this show is racist, all without seeing one episode of the show, or just not understanding what the show is saying

Also

Lionel da goat

Socivol

it may be so but it is the first I have heard about it and I haven't been plugging my ears.

Both sides are definitely a huge thing but the problem I have with that being said about Sam is she's half white so she's not exactly dating outside of her race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom