• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Battle: Wolverine VS Raiden(MGS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
context is important.

#1 is the superior spider man- Doc Ock in Spiderman's body. Wolverine doesn't know this, and a give-no-fucks spiderman is too much for Wolverine to deal with. THAT spiderman was one shotting criminals Parker has struggled with for years into comas.

#2 is a non canon punisher MAX storyline. that's not 616 wolverine.

Wasn't that actually Marvel Knights?

Wasn't that actually Marvel Knights?

you might be right. I get the two confused sometimes. had to check and it looks like Punisher #17, in 2002. No idea if "Knights" was canon at that point or not.

edit: looks like "probably not."

Marvel Knights is an imprint of Marvel Comics. Dealing with more mature themes than the regular imprint, it is intended more for teenagers rather than children. However, it does not deal with the adult themes touched on by the MAX imprint. The imprint originated in 1998 when Marvel outsourced four titles (Black Panther, Daredevil, The Punisher and The Inhumans) to Joe Quesada's Event Comics company; Event hired the creative teams for the Knights line while Marvel published them. The imprint has since been folded back into Marvel's standard methods of publication, and is used to single out Marvel's "edgier" titles. The Marvel Knights imprint is essentially the successor to Marvel Edge.

In early 2006, Marvel's editor-in-chief, Joe Quesada, announced that all ongoing titles under the Marvel Knights banner would move to the Marvel Universe imprint.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Knights

zeemumu

context is important.

#1 is the superior spider man- Doc Ock in Spiderman's body. Wolverine doesn't know this, and a give-no-fucks spiderman is too much for Wolverine to deal with. THAT spiderman was one shotting criminals Parker has struggled with for years into comas.

But Raiden's significantly stronger than Spider-Man in terms of sheer strength. Spider-Man can lift up to about 10 tons. That Metal Gear Ray weighs over 1000 tons according to that rough estimate, and he threw it across a street. and that was in his weak body. Unbreakable bones or not, Wolverine's gonna feel each and every one of those blows.

1000 tons. That's as many as 100 10's, and that's just terrible.
That sentence is gonna make me sound like a condescending asshole if no one gets the reference.

That at least I'll agree with. The "nanomachine brain/enhanced brain" argument is a terrible one- it's vague at best and not borne out in in the games at all at worst.

but here's an excuse to post more stuff about wolverine's level of fighting skill. I think it's undersold here.

1609458-berserkerragedg2.jpg

Here we have wolverine in the danger room with his brain wave patterns being measured. Forge calls his combat skills "extraordinary", and analogous to an olympic gymnast performing a gold medal routine, while beating four chess computers in his head simultaneously.

Hyperbole? a one off? maybe not. Here we have him absolutely dominating Shang Chi, master of Kung Fu.

1149912-981158_shangchi3eu5_super.jpg

"His Savagery has not made him undisciplined. his focus and control rivals the samurai." Shang Chi gets put on his ass.

3779125-wfc_9_cake_dcp_012.jpg

wolverinemokfu3.JPG

twice.

How does he do against Iron Fist?

newavnv2015_int_lr_0003.jpg

newavnv2015_int_lr_0004.jpg

Just as good. Keep in mind next to captain america (who is a supersoldier), Iron Fist and Shang Chi are two of the top fighters on the entire planet. Wolverine is on their level or past both. Hell, he doesn't even need to be able to see to take out opponents. Wolverine has trained to fight totally blind.

962475-fightingblindfc4.jpg

962474-wmd_04_oroboros_dcp_018.jpg

his skill level is pretty high up there. Not the best mind you (there are others that could body him H2H) but his combat skills are being sold short. there will be no quick wins here.

The title of "master" is given out like candy in comics.

All this shows is how much of a mess their actual powers are and how horrible these stories actually are. Wolverine only fights certain guys because he's a popular character. He's a jobber just like Yamcha but he's cool and says anti-hero shit and smokes cigars while riding a motorcycle and gives Cyclops the finger: he's "cool". Through this he fights people stronger or weaker than him because popularity fights even though powers are inconsistent and one would dummy the other instantly. Wolverine survives situations because the writers can't make him too weak, so stories are written in a shitty manner to please fans.

Wolverine is a jobber and so are most super heroes in comics. Their powers are useless in most fights because it's never about true strength or ability use but whatever contrived or idiotic way the writer chooses (usually giving something new or expanding more on their dumb powers). We're at a point where reality bending doesn't make you the most powerful person.

Calabi

That at least I'll agree with. The "nanomachine brain/enhanced brain" argument is a terrible one- it's vague at best and not borne out in in the games at all at worst...

It's not a terrible argument, people have already said there is plenty of evidence for it, stop being an arsehole just because you have a hard on for Wolverine.

But Raiden's significantly stronger than Spider-Man in terms of sheer strength. Spider-Man can lift up to about 10 tons.

not accurate. Spider man is somewhere at or around the 50 ton range at this point, easily.

ktsc18C.jpg

Parker rarely goes this high though, since he's prone to holding back.

That Metal Gear Ray weighs over 1000 tons according to that rough estimate, and he threw it across a street. and that was in his weak body. Unbreakable bones or not, Wolverine's gonna feel each and every one of those blows.

1000 tons. That's as many as 100 10's, and that's just terrible.
That sentence is gonna make me sound like a condescending asshole if no one gets the reference.

The reason why Spider Man is tough to deal with isn't his strength, but his speed combined with the fact that spider man is precognitive. He already knows what moves you're going to throw before you throw them. Combine that with his strength and it's a problem for wolverine- especially since Wolverine had no idea that THAT spiderman wasn't Parker and had no problem beating the shit out of him over minor disagreements which Parker wouldn't have done.

even so, it's a low showing. Wolverine has taken stronger hits without difficulty from spidey, hulk (several times) and namor- though admittedly not a lot of them. both of those last two exceed the "1000 ton" range by quite a bit.

It's not a terrible argument, people have already said there is plenty of evidence for it, stop being an arsehole just because you have a hard on for Wolverine.

I have a "hard on" for a decent argument. when you come up with one instead of lame insults, feel free to let me know.

The title of "master" is given out like candy in comics.

All this shows is how much of a mess their actual powers are and how horrible these stories actually are. Wolverine only fights certain guys because he's a popular character. He's a jobber just like Yamcha but he's cool and says anti-hero shit and smokes cigars while riding a motorcycle and gives Cyclops the finger: he's "cool". Through this he fights people stronger or weaker than him because popularity fights even though powers are inconsistent and one would dummy the other instantly. Wolverine survives situations because the writers can't make him too weak, so stories are written in a shitty manner to please fans.

Wolverine is a jobber and so are most super heroes in comics. Their powers are useless in most fights because it's never about true strength or ability use but whatever contrived or idiotic way the writer chooses (usually giving something new or expanding more on their dumb powers). We're at a point where reality bending doesn't make you the most powerful person.

Thank you for your well thought out contribution.

zeemumu

not accurate. Spider man is somewhere at or around the 50 ton range at this point, easily. Parker rarely goes this high though, since he's prone to holding back.

The reason why Spider Man is tough to deal with isn't his strength, but his speed combined with the fact that spider man is precognitive. He already knows what moves you're going to throw before you throw them. Combine that with his strength and it's a problem for wolverine- especially since Wolverine had no idea that THAT spiderman wasn't Parker and had no problem beating the shit out of him over minor disagreements which Parker wouldn't have done.

even so, it's a low showing. Wolverine has taken stronger hits without difficulty from hulk (several times) and namor- though admittedly not a lot of them. both exceed the "1000 ton" range by quite a bit.

I have a "hard on" for a decent argument. when you come up with one instead of lame insults, feel free to let me know.

I don't think the sense tells him what moves are coming his way. It just tells him that they are coming his way and how dangerous they are. Discerning what's about to hit him is up to him and his reflexes, but if it goes off he can choose to not dodge it if he doesn't think there's a problem. He's gotten so good at using it though that at this point, the distinction between that and actual future vision doesn't really matter. It's a passive thing, like typing without looking at the keyboard, or swatting at your ear when there's a fly. It may as well be. And that's why Spider-Man is the eternal champion.

not accurate. Spider man is somewhere at or around the 50 ton range at this point, easily. Parker rarely goes this high though, since he's prone to holding back.

even so, it's a low showing. Wolverine has taken stronger hits without difficulty from hulk (several times) and namor- though admittedly not a lot of them. both exceed the "1000 ton" range by quite a bit.

Spider-Man is "broken" because he has a great trump card: Spider Sense. It can be bent to make him unstoppable because he can react to anything that can occur to him. If I recall, this is why he can swing around the city without even knowing where to shoot. It's not talent, just how it happens. His strength or speed means nothing when you can whittle it down to, "I can sense any attack you do and avoid it", similar to how Wolverine can whittled to, "he can heal through anything".

I don't think the sense tells him what moves are coming his way. It just tells him that they are coming his way and how dangerous they are. Discerning what's about to hit him is up to him and his reflexes, but if it goes off he can choose to not dodge it if he doesn't think there's a problem. He's gotten so good at using it though that at this point, the distinction between that and actual future vision doesn't really matter. It's a passive thing, like typing without looking at the keyboard. It may as well be. And that's why Spider-Man is the eternal champion.

it absolutely, positively does do this. Even more so since Shang Chi trained parker in how to actually fight, rather than just relying on spider sense and instinct.

For instance, Parker won the daken fight above by shutting off all conscious decision making and letting spider sense guide his moves and reactions.

2323520-850931-spider_man_597_017_super.jpg

He's also used to to engage in combat in completely dark environments where he can't see.

Spider-Man is "broken" because he has a great trump card: Spider Sense. It can be bent to make him unstoppable because he can react to anything that can occur to him. If I recall, this is why he can swing around the city without even knowing where to shoot. It's not talent, just how it happens. His strength or speed means nothing when you can whittle it down to, "I can sense any attack you do and avoid it", similar to how Wolverine can whittled to, "he can heal through anything".

Yep. Spider sense is a crazy broken power when you actually think about it. Re: web swinging spider sense let him instictively avoid web swinging from any surface that wasn't stable, or couldn't hold his weight. It's pretty much ESP.

CVCWEJG.jpg

Other versions of spidey don't have it, and they even tried to take it away a few times. You know how fans are though, eventually it's always back to the status quo.

You can't be "as fast" spidey and beat him- you have to be faster. Or do like cap did in civil war and use superior skill to trap him into moving where you want him to go.

zeemumu

Do you think Spidey could beat someone with luck manipulation powers? I mean he has pretty bad luck already. They'll be about to fight and he'll get a call and they'll be like "your girlfriend's dying."

Wait there is argument that Raiden doesn't have a nanomachine enhanced brain? I have already stated that nanomachines enhancing the brain is common and all the soldiers even use it by MGS4. Meryl basically straight out stated it in her cutscenes and uses it to coordinate her team. Not only that but in MGR it straight up said he analyzes the enemy and that's how he knows the weak points to cut. I believe it's in the Sundowner fight and they say that and probably also said in codecs. There's no doubt that all that Raiden has an enhanced brain.

zeemumu

Yep. Spider sense is a crazy broken power when you actually think about it. Re: web swinging spider sense let him instictively avoid web swinging from any surface that wasn't stable, or couldn't hold his weight. It's pretty much ESP. Other versions of spidey don't have it, and they even tried to take it away a few times. You know how fans are though, eventually it's always back to the status quo.

You can't be "as fast" spidey and beat him- you have to be faster. Or do like cap did in civil war and use superior skill to trap him into moving where you want him to go.

Isn't there a rule that you have something that is Spidey-specific like the symbiote to counter that?

I mean, this happened

but then this happened

though I'd chalk that up less to Spider-Sense and more to Quicksilver being cocky.

I'm more interested in who they're going to have Hercule fight. It will definitely be another joke character and I'm thinking it might be Dan even though I think Hercule is probably a lot stronger than even him. Compared to super humans, saiyans, aliens, and namekians he's weak, but he's probably the strongest normal human in DBZ.

Which makes no sense since you can't trap Spider-Man unless you write out his Spider Sense... or ignore it (which live action, cartoons, and comics have done for so long).

His sense allows him great feats and those feat depend on the writer. Each writer's written feats are considered cannon. This is a problem when theorycrafting about who would win because the powers are all over the place. Captain American no matter what he does unless he blows up the planet cannot stop Spider-Man. Anything less is nerfing Spider-Man.

You can be slower than Spider-Man, you just need a more over powered (that Spider Sense can't trump) to beat him. A reality bender can beat Spider-Man. Wolverine can't. General telekinesis would destroy Spider-Man due to just being able to levitate him in the air; however, I'm sure there's dumb methods he's used to get around this.

Do you think Spidey could beat someone with luck manipulation powers? I mean he has pretty bad luck already. They'll be about to fight and he'll get a call and they'll be like "your girlfriend's dying."

Luck manipulation would still lose. Spider Sense makes him survive and be optimal during fights. You could reduce his luck to 0.000000001% but that Spider Sense will find that percentage and take advantage. It isn't difficult to argue who's the strongest because sadly they all are. Except Wolverine, he's a jobber. Wait, nvm, his healing factor is OP and can withstand absurd things. These are all undefined and "just roll with it". You can look at X-Men 3 and see how dumb it is: Wolverine stabs Phoenix and it ends but in reality she could lift him up and rip him to shreds. Comics do this all the time as well.

You have to compare just power. Can Raiden lift more than Wolverine? Yes. Is Raiden faster? Yes. Is Raiden a better fighter? Yes. Does Raiden's sword weaken molecules or whatever it contacts? Yes. Is Raiden more durable? No.

Calabi

Ok, I'm sorry about the insult, it's just beginning to drive me crazy. How about this we know that Raidens brain is enhanced somehow, but we don't know what that entails exactly. Which means his combat knowledge is unknown. So arguing Wolverines combat knowledge is longer and just superior in general is an unfair argument, so they cannot be compared this way.

Slayven

When Black Cat started fucking Spiderman and her bad luck powers were "infecting" him, he rolled with until some really weird shit started happening then he took her to Dr.Strange.

But give Spidey a few minutes and he will hack Raiden's body and make him whip and nee nee

Black Cat has this.

Ok, I'm sorry about the insult, it's just beginning to drive me crazy. How about this we know that Raidens brain is enhanced somehow, but we don't know what that entails exactly. Which means his combat knowledge is unknown. So arguing Wolverines combat knowledge is longer and just superior in general is an unfair argument, so they cannot be compared this way.

no worries, these conversations get weirdly heated. maybe people think I'm more serious about these than I actually am.

would I accept raiden's brain being enhanced somehow? sure. I would accept that it puts him over the average soldier, probably makes him a pretty good one. Even champion martial artist level.

Wolverine though is just ridiculous. there's a handful of people on the planet better than he is, and when I say a "handful" I mean about five, and most of those (Taskmaster, Mr. X, Deadpool, Cap) have some kind of crazy explanation that makes them difficult to fight without powers.

We already see he's been declared to naturally be some kind of combat prodigy by forge- he's also 135 years old, veteran of most modern wars and a dozen fictional ones, trained under more combat masters than anyone has a name for AND trains in a magic room to create any opponent or scenario he wants. Finding a scenario or opponent he's not prepared for is pretty much impossible.

it's very tough for me to conceive of how Raiden might be more skilled when all this is considered. Even AS skilled is a stretch.

Raiden holding back Outer Haven was one crazy ass strength feat, only one that compares is him flipping over MG Excelsus.

Some of the biggest aircraft carries in the world weigh in at 100,000 tons, Outer Haven is over twice as big, wide, and tall as those things.
(this is Arsenal Gear, Haven is a modified one)

Raiden(his weaker version) goes and stops one completely dead in its tracks

zeemumu

Black Cat has this.

That wasn't rhetorical. That was a legitimate question. I would think it'd be hilarious to see someone decide to use luck manipulation to make his life a living hell and Spidey reply with "I'm already doing that."

So are we decided on Spider-Man>Raiden>Wolverine?

Slayven

That wasn't rhetorical. That was a legitimate question. I would think it'd be hilarious to see someone decide to use luck manipulation to make his life a living hell and Spidey reply with "I'm already doing that."

Spiderman>>>Life

I only put Spidey on top if we are talking about real ass Peter Parker.

nah. Wolverine has a better shot at taking out Raiden than Spider Man does. The reason wolverine has the edge in the fight is because those claws are pretty much a one hit kill.

To win, raiden either has to KO wolverine before he gets a hit off, or avoid all of his strikes and wear him down until a KO. neither one is all that likely given the speed appears to be similar, wolverine's damage soak is really, really high (look up just how strong cyclops' optic beams are) and there is a skill gap between the two.

on the other hand, wolverine needs to hit raiden with those claws once to turn the fight to his advantage. Arms/legs/gut will cripple/maim, If it's anywhere vital (neck/heart/etc), it's game over.

Spider-Man could probably dodge raiden all day, but I'm not sure his strength is quite enough to wear the guy down easily. He seems to have pretty high blunt force trauma defense- especially if he's used to fighting cyborgs as strong as he is. Pick a slightly different spidey though (2099 or Superior) and this argument changes a bit- those two had more offensive options (claws, poison) and won't hesitate to kill at ALL.

Slayven

nah. Wolverine has a better shot at taking out Raiden than Spider Man does. The reason wolverine has the edge in the fight is because those claws are pretty much a one hit kill.

To win, raiden either has to KO wolverine before he gets a hit off, or avoid all of his strikes and wear him down until a KO. neither one is all that likely given the speed appears to be similar and there is a skill gap between the two.

on the other hand, wolverine needs to hit raiden with those claws once to turn the fight to his advantage. Arms/legs/gut will cripple/maim, If it's anywhere vital (neck/heart/etc), it's game over.

Spider-Man could probably dodge raiden all day, but I'm not sure his strength is quite enough to wear the guy down easily. He seems to have pretty high blunt force trauma defense- especially if he's used to fighting cyborgs as strong as he is. Pick a slightly different spidey though (2099 or Superior) and this argument changes a bit- those two had more offensive options (claws, poison) and won't hesitate to kill at ALL.

What if Raiden fought Back in Black Spiderman?

though I'd chalk that up less to Spider-Sense and more to Quicksilver being cocky.

I honestly believe cockiness is a reason most speedsters even get hit by someone slower than them. Even if someone can see your actions and try to move in reaction, if they can't get into position fast enough, then the speedster should be able to react. Like how the hell does the Flash get tripped or stabbed by Deathstroke, even if Deathstroke planned 100 steps ahead, when the Flash gets to that moment, he should be able to adjust and adapt to it.

An analogy I have said before is like if you were playing a fighting game and the other character had a move that took 300 frames or 5 seconds, or some ridiculous amount of time to come out. How you ever get hit by that is your own stupidity and I'm pretty sure the difference between a normal human and someone's like quicksilver's speed and reaction time would make a split second seem way slower than the 300 frame move I mentioned, since once you see it getting started you can just do something to stop them or avoid it.

Also Raiden is much faster than Wolverine. I already stated before stuff like missile surfing and the fact he can zandatsu before a guy even splits apart. I know travel and reaction speed is different, but seriously, cutting someone, pulling out their spine, and doing it to the next guy before a single body part even moves an inch is very damn fast compared to Wolverine.

I always see skill comparisons in comics kind of funky because people are always winning one over each other not matter the stated skills and master hand to hand combat is on a lot skill list these days. Shang Chi always gets his butt whooped and he's suppose to be one of the best. It makes me feel sorry for him since martial arts is the only thing he has. Though I know they did that thing where he had multiple duplicates of himself or something weird.

What if Raiden fought Back in Black Spiderman?

That spidey could probably figure something out.

I honestly believe cockiness is a reason most speedsters even get hit by someone slower than them.

won't really disagree, they all seem to have this issue for some reason.

Even if someone can see your actions and try to move in reaction, if they can't get into position fast enough, then the speedster should be able to react. Like how the hell does the Flash get tripped or stabbed by Deathstroke, even if Deathstroke planned 100 steps ahead, when the Flash gets to that moment, he should be able to adjust and adapt to it.

things like this go in the "spiderman vs. firelord" bin. bad writing, mostly. wildly out of character given other showings and probably shouldn't be brought up. Editors prevent things like this from happening MOST of the time, but occasionally one slips through.

A better solution would have been the Flash vs. Prometheus fight. Prometheus just lied and said he had bombs wired all over that would trigger if flash went over a certain speed in his vicinity. Wally was stuck having to walk everywhere and was completely useless while prometheus went HAM on everyone. Total bullshit but Wally wasn't willing to risk it.

DedValve

Banned
The ending was such bs.

How does the screen not turn blue with ZANDATSU printed on the side and raiden enters Zandatsu mode?

Still the outcome was expected.

A cocky Speedster is good shit

Yea this is how I would imagine most speed vs. skill fights usually would go. Even if he can predict and try to counter what's going to happen, he shouldn't be fast enough to make it happen unless he was close to that speed level.

A cocky Speedster is good shit

You can't help but think the writer just thinks Mr X is a bullshit character there and wants errrrrybody to know it.

there's just no other explanation for that massive ass whipping that just got handed out there.

Yea this is how I would imagine most speed vs. skill fights usually would go. Even if he can predict and try to counter what's going to happen, he shouldn't be fast enough to make it happen unless he was close to that speed level.

probably. smaller gaps are probably workable but quicksilver is like mach 2 or 3 or something.

zeemumu

Getting stabbed in the gut wouldn't do much, if anything.

Take spiderman, he would be so much more interesting if his only ability was the climbing thing. you'd feel there was some danger and that stakes were high because he is as fragile as a normal dude and overcoming that by wit or tactics could actually allow for some intellectually stimulating reading from time to time.
It's the main reason I can't stand super hero movies, because despite being action movies there's never any tension in them.

lol that sounds like the worst hero ever. His climbing ability? So he can save cats from trees and get frisbees off of roofs in record time in each issue? If you want to just give him one ability fine but at least choose his spider sense or his ridiculous agility. His climbing is just boring.

Slayven

You can't help but think the writer just thinks Mr X is a bullshit character there and wants errrrrybody to know it.

there's just no other explanation for that massive ass whipping that just got handed out there.

probably. smaller gaps are probably workable but quicksilver is like mach 2 or 3 or something.
Explain this one
Raiden would beat all comic book characters in a a second or two.

No need to go nuclear

Gideon.jpg

Jenov

Wolverine would have won. That's some bs. Raiden just shrugs off hundreds of claw slices? He doesn't have that sort of durability. They also really stretched to find a way to make it so his sword would be the winning piece.

Wundarr aka Aquarian THe Nullifying Man.

When did that happen?

Secret Wars. He'd been in the zombie territory for an indeterminate amount of time- days, weeks, whatever just killing zombies before he ran into she-hulk.

OMLA_zps6xg75hlz.png

OML_zpscjt9vzo4.png

OML2_zps9bpl25xi.png

the zombie virus ain't shit lol. This is weird because zombie sabretooth is RIGHT THERE. His HF also fights off whatever crazy instant death virus is running around the "armor wars" territory.

I know some people actually did the math on how fast Raiden is in full blade mode. Whenever he jumps up to an enemy in free fall and slices them in apart/rips out their spine, the enemy is completely stationary and it came out to mach 2000.

I hate when people try and apply math like that though, knowing full well the characters aren't intended to be THAT strong/fast or whatever, reminds me of bullshit DBZ math.

old man logan in secret wars. taken on many zombies and survived intact. makes me think the virus only attacked weak worlds

has to be it, really. Old Man Logan's healing factor isn't even that good- and again, Sabretooth is right there, all zombied out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom