• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Has Surpassed 16 Million Players

MiguelItUp

DS felt like a strange little indie game with AAA budget
It's core gameplay loop was just... strange and experimental, something only Kojima would be able to pull out
I look forward for DS2
Exactly! That's what makes it so special IMO honestly. If he wanted to make a game that would've been more popular and sold better, he could've. But he didn't, he made what he wanted to make, and rolled with it. It was an expensive risk. Something that is beyond rare these days for any game with a AAA budget or anything near it.

oshho

Neo Member
I'm currently in my second run, sadly I lack in motivation everytime when I hit the 3rd region, but I still love the game, trying to get all LLL scores, also I'm kinda dissapointed to not see anything about DS2 in the game awards, but at least it gives me more time to save for a PS5.

Hudo

To put it into perspective: UPS and FedEx and DHL combined only have 1.5 million employees.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I'm still butthurt i spent all my money building roads when the game first released. Spent more than anyone and my name never appeared in the list of who built it.

What the latest sales numbers for this game btw?
There's a variety article which was posted today where they mention that DS sold over 5 millions copies. The sales figure they used in the report seems to be from July 2021 though.
Death Stranding, the wildly popular 2019 action video game from creator Hideo Kojima, is coming to the big screen. A24 is teaming with Kojima Productions to develop a live-action film adaptation of the title, which has sold over five million copies and has a reputation as one of the best video games of the 21st century.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
One of the top 5 games for me of the previous generation.

Gamers are weird - same old same old ? "where's the innovation ?"
- Game comes out with -literally- new concepts and gameplay elements ? " lol walking sim Sony ponies LMAO !11! "

You just can't win nowadays I suppose.

The fact that It was also the cool.game.of the month to hate® didn't do it any favours (blame the console exclusivity ) as most trolls went to YouTube, watched some gameplay and then went back to forums spouting "lol walk sim !11", meanwhile, everyone that played it know for a fact that there's 20+ weapons in the game and that there's both stealth AND shooty-bang-bang bits in the game.

For me, it was almost the perfect game , the graphics were top-notch, the gameplay was varied since it involved discovery walking bits, stealth, shooting action and horror and the story was just...bat shit insane.

IMO, people just couldn't wrap their heads around what the game actually was, it came off as "weird" and too convoluted, in the end though, it was almost like a normal, 3rd person action game.

A real "AAA" if I ever saw one, everything about it was just spectacular (in the literal sense) - from the cutscene direction/framing, to the boss battles, to that final fight , to the OST... everything.

Was it perfect ? absolutely not, it needed some fat-trimming here and there, Kojima's writing could use (ahem) some work, the world's few inhabitants in the form of holograms felt incredibly lazy for a KojiPro title and the vehicle controls were mediocre.

Here's hoping that part 2 will fix some of the 1st game's shortcomings.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Ok, bud. You can't see the difference between 4 years to complete and a game that came out this year. Elementary concept of time you seemingly can't comprehend.
Sure thing, bud. I compared it to another open-world single-player game with a long playtime and comparable stats, but you need to keep moving the goalposts because . . . COVID . . . and PC doesn't count . . . and it came out last winter . . . and my dog stepped on a bee, etc.

Let's compare to Days Gone, which also came out in 2019 and has an 8.4 user score on Metacritic with a 43% completion rate.

Let's compare to Kingdom Come: Deliverance, another open-world single-player game that came out in 2018, with an 8.1 user score and an 11% completion rate.

Let's compare to Sekiro, which has an 8.6 user score and ~ 44% completion rate.

Let's compare to Red Dead Redemption 2, which has an 8.7 user score and a 39% completion rate.

Hit me up with some more of that goalpost moving, though. Ready to give out that gold medal in mental gymnastics.

ReBurn

Gold Member
And Humble Bundle.

So everyone who was even curious about it, had a chance to play it, even if for just a few minutes.
Those 16 million are very inflated numbers.
Imagine if a company were to brag about a lot of people playing a demo disc, back in the day.
I would like to know how many people played demo discs. 🤷‍♂️

Mortisfacio

Sure thing, bud. I compared it to another open-world single-player game with a long playtime and comparable stats, but you need to keep moving the goalposts because . . . COVID . . . and PC doesn't count . . . and it came out last winter . . . and my dog stepped on a bee, etc.

Let's compare to Days Gone, which also came out in 2019 and has an 8.4 user score on Metacritic with a 43% completion rate.

Let's compare to Kingdom Come: Deliverance, another open-world single-player game that came out in 2018, with an 8.1 user score and an 11% completion rate.

Let's compare to Sekiro, which has an 8.6 user score and ~ 44% completion rate.

Let's compare to Red Dead Redemption 2, which has an 8.7 user score and a 39% completion rate.

Hit me up with some more of that goalpost moving, though. Ready to give out that gold medal in mental gymnastics.

There was never goalpost moving. You compared PSN to steam. I said to compare PSN to PSN and Steam to Steam. They're two different platforms with two statistically different averages. You're the one that couldn't figure that out. Good luck to you, bud. Hope you get your GED at some point.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
There was never goalpost moving. You compared PSN to steam. I said to compare PSN to PSN and Steam to Steam. They're two different platforms with two statistically different averages. You're the one that couldn't figure that out. Good luck to you, bud. Hope you get your GED at some point.
Lol, I hope your momma gets a GED at some point and your dad comes back with that milk someday.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Question :
Does the director's have any improvements or extra missions and bits or is it mostly a "next-gen" 4K60 upgrade ?

I know it has haptics support on the PS5 but other than that ?

Cheers

It was given for free on Epic Store, not to mention on Game Pass and PS Plus

Its a cool game tho, I'm excited for the sequel.

But "experienced" ≠ bought
seriously: 'in other game news today, here are your daily pointless numbers indicating little if anything!'...

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Question :
Does the director's have any improvements or extra missions and bits or is it mostly a "next-gen" 4K60 upgrade ?

I know it has haptics support on the PS5 but other than that ?

Cheers
It adds new gameplay modes (like racing, ranked missions--think Metal Gear Solid VR missions--and ruined factory missions), boss fight replay, new tools, new weapons, new vehicles, new Half-Life/Cyberpunk crossover side missions with reward items from each, and lots of new customization items.

Looks like 43% roughly finished the game (based on trophy %). Seems about right. Great world and presentation, but incredibly boring and I personally couldn't force myself to finish it. I even play boring walking/crafting games like Satisfactory, but this game just didn't click with me and about 20 hours in I put it down and uninstalled.
It happened to me too when the game was released. The one chapter just takes forever to finish and it doesn't have a lot of story in it.

Tried it on PS5 a couple of years later because of the nextgen patch and got hooked. Finished it and the story REALLY sticked around after the ending.

Don't know your game preferences but I say give it a new go on modern machine.

King Dazzar

Very weird game for me. Beautiful, different, a touch pretentious, unique and glad I played it. At the same time, really glad I stopped playing it too. I just couldn't carry on after 10hrs or so as it wasn't for me. Loathed some of the gameplay elements around BD's and rain etc. I could be unfair and say I'd rather go back to playing the classic Paperboy from the 80's if I wanted to deliver things - it was a damn site cheerier. But that wouldn't be fair.

Looks like 43% roughly finished the game (based on trophy %). Seems about right. Great world and presentation, but incredibly boring and I personally couldn't force myself to finish it. I even play boring walking/crafting games like Satisfactory, but this game just didn't click with me and about 20 hours in I put it down and uninstalled.
I've seen you debate the other guy but 43% completion rate is Well above average. Most games do about 30%.

NoobSmog

The one time engagement numbers do matter is when a sequel is going to release. It shows the potential amount of people that might be interested in the sequel, so these numbers aren't completely useless at least. The amount of people who completed the game is way more important than the total amount played though.

Muffdraul

I tried very, very hard to get into it. Started over three times. There's one fairly early mission that is just the most fucking ponderous trek across the map, and I just won't do it. I always reach the point where I think, "There are so many better ways I could be spending my time right now" before I can complete it.

I tried very, very hard to get into it. Started over three times. There's one fairly early mission that is just the most fucking ponderous trek across the map, and I just won't do it. I always reach the point where I think, "There are so many better ways I could be spending my time right now" before I can complete it.

For me, the fact that is so difficult at the beginning when in new unexplored areas is what makes it so satisfying later on!

By the end game you are literally flying through the map on zip lines. Or hauling ass on pristine road networks. And this is a network of transportation you build not just yourself but with other players which makes it even more satisfying.

LimanimaPT

I'm playing this game. This game has incredible graphics (how is it even possible to model such perfect characters?!) but I'm fearing for the gameplay. I'm in my third delivery and I really hope this game goes behind making deliveries. Does it? I'm not interested in endless walking.
I should say I love MGS and I have faith in Kojima, but...

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm playing this game. This game has incredible graphics (how is it even possible to model such perfect characters?!) but I'm fearing for the gameplay. I'm in my third delivery and I really hope this game goes behind making deliveries. Does it? I'm not interested in endless walking.
I should say I love MGS and I have faith in Kojima, but...

Keep playing 😉
The game, yes, does revolve around the deliveries (it's the main concept after all) but...they get way more complex as you move on, you get new exoskeletons, new weapons, new gadgets etc etc...the gameplay gets more varied later on.
I mean, heck, some missions are almost MGS-esque in that you have to move stealthily around MULE bases, others are literally straight out of a horror game (no spoilers), others are more "chill" in that you just have to move from A to B - you get the idea, now, throw in some amazeballs flashback levels, batshit crazy cutscenes and spectacular (literally) boss battles and...

Just keep playing man, there's more than meets the eye.

cheers

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Keep playing 😉
The game, yes, does revolve around the deliveries (it's the main concept after all) but...they get way more complex as you move on, you get new exoskeletons, new weapons, new gadgets etc etc...the gameplay gets more varied later on.
I mean, heck, some missions are almost MGS-esque in that you have to move stealthily around MULE bases, others are literally straight out of a horror game (no spoilers), others are more "chill" in that you just have to move from A to B - you get the idea, now, throw in some amazeballs flashback levels, batshit crazy cutscenes and spectacular (literally) boss battles and...

Just keep playing man, there's more than meets the eye.

cheers
Thanks! I'll sure move on!

I forgot I had this game for free on the Epic Games store. I gotta give this a playthrough.

I don't even remember the password for this stupid ass store.

Downloading, let's go baby!

Last edited:
Top Bottom