• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding - November 8-2019

Roni

Gold Member
Don’t understand this post.

He doesn't like Death Stranding because his tastes are geared towards hardcore games with tight gameplay loops.

But I do enjoy those kinds of games. So the statement makes zero sense.

I never said people can't enjoy the game. I don't think any less of anyone who does. Nobody has actually answered my original question yet though. Why are they excited for this game? It looks absolutely terrible.

Vanquish and Bayonetta don't think they're high concept art.

Death Stranding isn't intentionally trying to be camp. It completely lacks in self awareness.

What is there to explain to you that hasn't already been said by someone else?

It's a sci-fi game with a focus on travelling and overcoming both natural and human obstacles.

From the legendary game designer who made us switch controller ports to beat a psychic boss, pretty much predicted the future in 2001, made one of the best boss fight in history in 2004, actually finished the saga he created and developed for 30 years on two occasions: 2008 and 2015. Made a console game for the PSP...

The guy is one of the best game devs around and there's a new game coming.

If you can't understand why people are excited at this point, then I can only feel for those around you. Pretty hard to believe you don't know anyone who has a favorite band, a favorite movie director, a favorite writer...

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lot of people saying they gameplay looks bad when nobody has ever played the game and we still haven't even seen a single clip of unedited gameplay footage.

I cannot comprehend for the life of me why anyone is excited for this game...
Already off to a great start with this post, aren't you?
The acting in the trailer is absolutely terrible.
Please elaborate.
The writing is an subtle as a brick to the face. It wants to be "cryptic", but it's literally beating you over the head with its ideas.
Please elaborate.
[...] even the faces look wrong. Lifeless, dead eyes. Expressionless outside of very specific moments. It's uncanny valley at its most extreme.
I completely disagree.
...why does this interest people?

Seriously, I genuinely want to understand.
Why? Is this really so important that you had to come into the thread to share your opinion in a condescending way?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
can we get the people who have played this game and know all about it and are telling us how the story and gameplay sucks, can those people get together with the people that have read the full unredacted Mueller report and shame you for not doing the same, can they both go off together and leave the rest of us in the real world in peace?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
hidnm99g69131.jpg

Source

Geki-D

Banned
What is it about armchair critics that have to point out supposed faults in a game's writing or performance to imply those like myself who are excited for something are uneducated, uncultured imbeciles?

It's fine to dislike something but do it like a normal person please.
Oh, don't worry: The people complaining about the writing and story don't actually care about the writing or story. They're just concern trolling. Really they just hate every Sony exclusive and/or hate everything by Kojima no matter what. It's an interesting exercise to go through the people saying this stuff -same with the "I was interested but after the trailer I'm not onboard anymore" guys- and looking at their post history on GAF. Generally they have a common trend of hating on Sony and liking all posts positive towards MS.

Hinedorf

Banned
Do I need to play ground zeroes first?

I was about to say yes but really you should just youtube the story part of Ground Zeroes as it has huge implications for the beginning of Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes itself is just a glorified demo but the story is definitely something to catch prior to starting Phantom Pain.

iHaunter

I don't get why people are so butthurt.

Do you really want the same recycled garbage over and over? Don't have to like the game, at least it's different, go play fortnite before mommy tucks you in.

Eiknarf

Is this the most active thread in all of NeoGAF? Curious. It’s not even out for six months. That’s almost a whole pregnancy cycle!
Because I’m constantly getting notifications for this thread yet nothing on any of the other threads I’m subscribed to.

Mr Hyde

Been watching the trailer now for a couple of times and I gotta say it´s pretty fucking amazing, I´ve never been a big fan of Kojimas works, never been wowed by MGS outside Metal Gear Solid, which was a groundbreaking experience and big push for the video game medium as an art form, but Death Stranding looks like an insane tour de force in both the visual and narrative department, much in line with his previous works.

Whether you like it or not, Hideo Kojima is a unique presence in the video game industry, creating compelling and one of a kind experiences. It´s not for everyone, I mean, most of his output is not for me, but to discredit him is unfair and quite frankly pretty bizarre, consider what he has accomplished in this medium. To see him work with a new IP, unshackled at last from his MGS-franchise, is very exciting, and it seems he uses all of his imagination to give us something that has not been seen before, which is something that most video game designers of today will consider be a fucking hard task.

His use of cryptic messaging and PR is refreshing, and although it can come off as pretentious, it is still a bold move in todays cookie cutter industry, and for that he has my respect. He is one of the few real auteurs with so much clout, that he can be given free reigns in an environment that most likely requires total control from the investors, and that is a thing that should be cherised, instead of being criticized.

Not joking, and I know people prefer Kojima to make a new ip, but...any chance this will be a new MGS, or the apparently cancelled Silent Hills ( highly likely in my opinion, too much references ) or some sort of crazy crossover between the two? Or maybe Policenauts?

Mista

Banned
Not joking, and I know people prefer Kojima to make a new ip, but...any chance this will be a new MGS, or the apparently cancelled Silent Hills ( highly likely in my opinion, too much references ) or some sort of crazy crossover between the two? Or maybe Policenauts?
I want a new MGS starring The Boss!

SaucyJack

Thanks for the insight.

Yes, I am aware of the Metal Gear Series. I have completed all of them up to 3 to 100% completion. 1 was fun. 2 was nonsense. 3 was the best in the series.

What I cannot comprehend is this logic specifically:

"It turns out that when the creator of several popular and well reviewed games announces that he is releasing a brand new game people think to themselves "hey, that guy whose games I really like is making a new game" and so they get excited about the possibility of another awesome game from the new director."

I had a feeling that "Well, other people liked it so it must be good therefore people are excited for it" would be the immediate go-to argument that someone would make. I was not disappointed in that regard.

From where I'm standing, Kojima hasn't made a game even bordering on "decent" in over 15 years. Almost every single problem with his work - and they are fundamental problems that fail to grasp even the most basic rules of good storytelling - is apparent in this trailer. I outlined specifically what those problems were, and your statement fails to address any of them.

I know that people like it... why? Why do they think it looks good?

Where most other people are standing Hideo Kojima hasn’t made a bad game, ever.

Javthusiast

Banned
So in the japanese trailer there is a short scene of a battle with a BT boss or something and it looks like we might be using some type of blood as ammo maybe? Cause the bar is red, it has a heart next to it and the amount is measured in ml/s.

Also in an earlier trailer it looked like the BT was getting a little burned by touching Sams blood.

Well Metal Gear Solid is one of the best tactical espionage and most recognizable videogame brand game ever made

Calling it movies is abit..too much dont you think?
He is not saying that his games are "movies". I think he ment that his stories in games are so good that he could write a good script for a movie and he would be a good director😉

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wasnt MGSV, where he tried and did a long 1-take trailer? Crazy guy loves his cinematics.
There is really nothing wrong with that, it can make the game more exciting if its done right, the problem comes when some developers go way overboard with it, for example: Order 1886, Ready at Dawn tried too hard give us movie like experience they kind of forget about give proper game.

Top Bottom