• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding vs. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Votes: 138 44.1%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 175 55.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

oWeJWqv.jpg

PapyDoc

I liked Death Stranding for what it is.
But there is even a fight between a weird and quite overhyped experiment and Fallen Order ?

Last edited:

yunkaiza

I loved Death Stranding but Fallen Order feels like a Souls game that got stripped of all it's interesting progression. DS also runs waaaay better on base PS4.

Fallen Order for me. I was pleasantly surprised that someone could still make a good Star Wars game.

Also, Death Stranding was stupid and weird.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
DS no contest. Star Wars game was really good, lightsaber combat being so much fun, but there were too many bugs, and the level design was a bit too complicated. sometimes when looking for item pickups i would bring up the map and just feel overwhelmed and lost.

Kojima tho, the man is still pushing boundaries. that game was incredible. still loving it so much on my 2nd time through on PC.

Rolla

Banned
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Had the worst and most convoluted map traversal I have ever seen in a game. I adore Star Wars but couldn't wait to finish the game and throw it on ebay. Moving from one point to the next was exhausting and used as filler. I wont buy the sequel unless the devs address that directly.

Death Stranding might be the last high budget controversial gaming experiment in gaming history. That feeling slowly making progress with every step and later ziplining thru the same area was so rewarding. planning every trip and making every so little detour a interesting choice was such a unique way for the open world genre. building connections and support structures with the online community is a genuis way of enriching a solo game with online features and should be a inspiration for future solo open world games.

As a father the story was so emotioinal enduring for me, i shed a few tears at the ending.

Many people will hate it for the same reason i loved it and thats fine. But for those who loved it like me will forever remember this outstanding achievment.

GymWolf

Ugh this is hard.

Two of the most 7\10 games in the entire gen, mmm i relatively enjoyed both, maybe fallen order takes the cake because i like the genre\gameplay more even if it was derivative as fuck compared to DS.
I liked the story more in FO but both games are pretty mediocre in the plot department.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Death stranded was fun for a few hours but couldn't find enough content to sink my teeth into for the long haul. Actually beat Fallen order and had a lot of fun with it.

DS is divisive, but very unique. I liked it a loto, but I understand people who say that is boring.
Fallen Order wasn't particulary memorable in any way and I bacame a bit tired of star wars in the last couple of years, I feel I don't love the franchise they way I used in the past.

EDMIX

Man this was a hard one. I like what Jedi Fallen Order did well, its easily one of the best Star Wars games ever made as the quality of that game is unheard with that property (next to DICE anyway) and the previous generations of Star Wars games never really came near the top AAA properties during the same generations, as in Battlefront on PS2 was not fucking touching Half Life 2, Halo 2, Doom 3 etc, we can stfu with that lie. Its a title that literally can't hold its own against some huge properties that are just more solidly made. As much as I like KOTOR, the same can be stated about that... they are just not titles that were above the quality of other titles during that timeframe.

Star War Fallen Order is literally in the conversation this generation of top AAA quality and well made single player titles. They did a great job with Unreal Engine 4 and I'd say next to Days Gone and Final Fantasy VII, this is one of the best looking and playing Unreal Engine 4 titles. I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, the story kept me interested even as a person that doesn't really care for Star Wars that much and the movement and gameplay felt very solid and grounded. I can see where they can grow from this with sequels as this is very likely going to be a long running series.

For all the things they did great with Fallen Order, it doesn't really offer anything brand new or generation defining or anything like that and thats completely ok, its a great game for what it is, but between this and Death Stranding, Death Stranding took more chances, risk and dared folks to actually think different about how they play and how a character in a video game is seen.

I have to side with Death Stranding on this one.

Death stranding does something very similar to Metal Gear Solid 3 in the respect of the film concept of (show me, don't tell me) it doesn't attempt to just tell you that this is what it is, you actually physically do the thing the game is telling you is happening in regards to going from point A to point B. In any other game this is a simple task but what you don't normally think about is the wear and tear of the user in regards to the avatar, it's very easy to have a video game where somebody goes from point A to point B where they're indestructible like a tank, they never get tired they don't need food, they don't need to urinate they don't need sleep etc For god sakes, no wonder all those characters in those games complete those missions, quest so easily lol

Death stranding creates a scenario of going between point A and point B and actually making your character feel the realistic consequences and effects of such a journey in real life so it's not as simple as go to this place, you have to think about the terrain, you have to think about the health of your character. They truly make it a task that is not as simple as it might sound because other video games completely ignore all of these scenarios and create these completely fake robot characters that seemingly can withstand all of Nature's harshest elements. This is one of the things I greatly appreciated with Metal Gear Solid 3 is they did not simply just tell you he was surviving in the jungle, you literally had to eat snakes and different animals to survive you had to make your camo to camouflage you had to take bullets out and mend your wounds the game forces you to actually think about what's physically going on to this person to actually drive home that he's surviving in the jungle in his behavior and physical condition supports it. Its theses touches that remind the player....the person you are controlling is still suppose to be human. They eat, they sleep, they get hurt and their condition will reflect how they move and perform.

maxresdefault.jpg

rttm1aj5wfy31.jpg

The story in Death Stranding is definitely my favorite in the top five of this generation because it creates a very wild universe with so many different laws and properties that you have to basically learn and think about differently than any other new property this generation. One of my favorites is Horizon zero Dawn and I would argue even that game has a very grounded concept compared to Death Stranding lol

You can wrap your mind around Horizon zero Dawn very simply sort of like fallout or something where you're simply saying something happened before and you're just dealing with the after-effects of that thing where with death stranding there's just a whole crazy layer of things going on.

I think as a Gaming Community we demand new intellectual properties and New Concepts all the time yet when somebody dares to actually fucking do this many times you have this push back if it's too different than what people are accustomed to, so I think people at the very least need to give credit where it's due and give the respect earned when somebody goes out of their way to make a triple A game that is not like no other in regards to its concept.

He could have easily just given us another military stealth game...

Last edited:

Codes 208

gotta go with Star Wars. Respawn was really the only saving grace of EA this gen.

Death stranding was...well, I hated it.

Last edited:

The Shepard

Death Stranding, one of my top 5 of the gen! Played them one after another around Xmas time so it's an easy one for me to choose. Fallen order is a good game to.

Bridges

Death Stranding is a one of a kind experience, there isn't a game out there like it.

Fallen Order is an almagation of several popular genres with the Star Wars IP painted on top.

Neither are bad but one clearly stands out

dezzy8

Never played Death Stranding because it looks like ass. Fallen Order all day baby. Respawn did their thing with this game.

CrysisFreak

Banned
How some people can unironically vote for Jedi is beyond my understanding.
JFO has more glitches and bugs in one area than DS has in its entirety without being more complex or anything.
It also looks shittier.
jfl

Kokoloko85

Death Stranding is up there with my Game of the generation ( Bloodbourne, God of War ).
I also love Fallen Order. But my Vote goes for Kojima Sama’s Death Stranding

Dthomp

I loved both of these titles but I wish I felt like this was a closer race then it should be. DS by a wide margin here

Arkam

Enjoyed Fallen order. Was fun game that redeemed the SW IP in the game space for me. But Death Stranding was a literal experience. Was sucked into that crazy dystopia like none other. Gameplay while slow, was immensely rewarding.

Hinedorf

Banned
Enjoyed both games, Death Stranding is something unique and special you likely wont see duplicated. I can see a yearly churn of SW: Jedi Fallen Order based on success and It's already run it's course for me.

I wanted to love Death Stranding, but I couldn't do it. The story was a train wreck and the gameplay just wasn't fun. There were so many gauges to monitor at any given time that I always became stressed and agitated when I played it. I got 25 hours in and dropped it. This was a good lesson that Kojima off the rails is not a good thing.

I really loved Fallen Order. It was the best Star Wars game in a long time, it looked great, and it had some great souls like gameplay. I'm really excited for the inevitable next gen follow up. This was an easy poll for me.

I'm a huge mgs and kojima fan but death stranding took me a minute to get into unfortunately but once I was in I was fucking hooked. And honestly have nothing bad to say about jedi fallen order very solid game game

Aion002

I love Death Stranding and I never cared about Fallen Order... A Jedi game that has no dismemberment? Not for me I guess.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Loved the music in Death Stranding but did it care much for the game. I really loved the Star Wars game so it’s gets my vote.

FunkMiller

Death Stranding bored me (bit of a theme with Kojima games for me. I think his story telling skills are vastly overrrated) and Jedi kept me reasonably entertained, so I’m voting for that.

Roberts

DS has more interesting and original ideas, but is an utter bore. It also looks better (not fan of those Uncanny Valley faces, though). At least, I had fun with Jedi.

Fbh

Only played Fallen Order. I really liked it aside from the shitty story (please just make games non-canon or set them far away from the movies in the timeline).

I'll pick up Death Stranding when it's $15 or less. I'm still kinda curious about it but I haven't liked a Kojima game since MGS4, and spending 60 hours walking through big empty areas to make deliveries sounds about as boring as it gets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom