• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Declassified tapes show Nixon scraped Presidency win by committing treason

Status
Not open for further replies.
The president did let Humphrey know and gave him enough information to sink his opponent. But by then, a few days from the election, Humphrey had been told he had closed the gap with Nixon and would win the presidency. So Humphrey decided it would be too disruptive to the country to accuse the Republicans of treason, if the Democrats were going to win anyway.
What genius told him that?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Saw Maddow's discussing this yesterday. That shit is amazing.

I can't say that I'm surprised at all.

It is Nixon we are talking about here. Then again, LBJ wasn't really above such behavior either.

I don't much have much faith in mankind lasting for a few more thousands of years with the way we behave.

jtb

Banned
Iran-Contra affair?

Well that too, but I was referring specifically to the release of the American hostages in the immediate aftermath of the revolution at the embassy timed very closely with Reagan winning. The original (would-be) October Surprise, I guess. But apparently Wikipedia says that no evidence has been found implicating him in making a deal with the Iranians....

(yet)

i read about this in nixonland. and yeah, reagan did the same thing(albeit not to extend a gruesome war) with iran

This was definitely talked about in great detail in Nixonland, so I don't understand why it's suddenly news again...is this the first time there's evidence that LBJ knew about it, too?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
This was definitely talked about in great detail in Nixonland, so I don't understand why it's suddenly news again...is this the first time there's evidence that LBJ knew about it, too?

Yes. I'm guessing it couldn't be discussed in detail.

beast786

Don't forget Bush caused 9/11.

conspiracy-theorist-c.jpg

He certainly didnt stop it.

Sibylus

Banned
So in a ranking of the worst Americans, how close to the top spot does this piece of shit bat? Might've been preferable that he had chosen "serial killer" as his life's path.

Burger

The one secret no one ever suspected is that I DID stage the moon landing … on Venus! ARROOOOO! Muahahaha!

bomma_man

Wow. What a piece of shit. Although it's hard to judge any American president kindly on their foreign policy records. But I guess this is bad even by that standard.

ToxicAdam

LBJ was a guy that deeply cared about his legacy and was troubled in the last years of his life that this war pretty much erased away all the good he did (in the early 70's). So, it's not surprising to me that people whose job it is to preserve his legacy would float this out there in an attempt to influence history.

It's not like Nixon was alone in benefitting from the war going on a bit longer. The entire industrial/military complex was always convinced they could win that war if just given more men and more ability to strike outside of the parameters they were given. Still to this day that argument echoes. So, I think it's a bit presumptive to assume that this woman held enough sway to derail these talks by herself. Especially in that era where women were held in much lower regard than they are today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom