• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dedicated to Campers

Dabanton

commish said:
I've never found camping to be effective outside of 1 or 2 kills.

Yeah for CS:S due to it's nature campers more often than not end end getting humiliated
especially when it's an objective game and the timer is running down and the whole server can watch the camper get dealt with as they more often than not are sniping and not even on a big map but on something like Office.

Konig94

Neo Member
Dyno said:
Campers feel that scoring points and achieving the pre-conceived notion of success outweighs the fun they should have in the game. These cold blooded assholes pick math over emotions. They think experience is gained in points alone. They care about the score, not just as the end of a match but for the entirety of the game.

If my daughter brings home a camper I'll be sure to make him feel like the little, smarmy piece of shit that he is.

The best man at my wedding is also the godfather of my children and he is a vile camper. I didn't know this until much later into our friendship. He will jump into a helicopter in BFBC2, fly it to a remote location, and then bail on a perfectly good copter so that he can camp from a sunken boat or other such shit. It's a waste that fails to dawn on the rodent camper mind.

During game nights all my friends and I can swap in and out of a multiplayer game and enjoy ourselves. My camping friend cannot take part, his style of play is tedious and a time sink.

I do hate it in games like Bad Company 2 when my team is full of snipers that just sit back and don't go for the objective at all. Before I was talking more about death match style of game.

I love camping. Not my fault stupid fucks keep walking into my line of fire. It's your own fault if your being camped in almost every single game.

Anyways the rage it generates from people is great. "camper fuck!"... you're the idiot that was running out in the open in a game with guns, scopes, sniper rifles, etc.

Keldor

BattleMonkey said:
I love camping. Not my fault stupid fucks keep walking into my line of fire. It's your own fault if your being camped in almost every single game.

Anyways the rage it generates from people is great. "camper fuck!"... you're the idiot that was running out in the open in a game with guns, scopes, sniper rifles, etc.
Come play some Bad Company 2.

Erasus

Not really, but I do wait in a spot for a person to come by, shoot, and then move.

If I was camping I would stay in the same spot after every shot.

Keldor said:
Come play some Bad Company 2.

I do, yet ironically I rarely camp in that, Assault and Engineer are my favorite classes.

BC2 is prime example where camping is situational. On offensive campers just ruin the game for your team, while it's important for defenders to camp. Objective based games are very different beast from a DM type of game.

animlboogy said:
Aren't camping and sniping the same damn thing?

In the era where marked spawn points are long dead, it just strikes me as a bunch of whiny players coming up with bad excuses based on a term that never applied to any games after 1998.

Most people describing campers nowadays sounds like they're just talking about players who know the maps well enough to kill a lot of people from a few choke points. That isn't anything like some new player walking up to a spawn point with a railgun and blasting each person who materializes there.

Exactly, whining babies nowadays. Camping was originally when games were poorly designed that bases/spawns were camped and it made the game basically no fun as there was little a person could do to escape.

Now anytime a person is not run and gunning, they get called a camper :lol

Standing in one spot for long period of time racking up kills just makes the other side look stupid, most modern game design features multiple avenues of approach, moving/random spawns, and all kinds of gimmicks that get around campers.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Valkyr Junkie said:
That's a horrible camping spot on de_dust2

This. That's the middle of the map. T's and CT's get there at the same time, with CT's having the vastly superior upper ground. OP should've used Militia as an example, CTs always get discouraged in that map so you have one goof who says fuck it and just camps spawn.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Someone should post the awesome MW2 Camping video.

operon

Campers piss everyone off, staying in on eplace just so you can get a few kills ffs.
MW2 is full of them, some have the tents out, gas stove thermos flask etc

hylje

tf2frets.jpg

Take it like a man, shorty

Uncharted 2 deserves a special mention for giving campers Situational Awareness to see you through walls. Camping is a bullshit "strategy" that is fucking annoying when they're on your team and not going for the objective and just infuriating when you're killed by some asshole who sat in the one spot waiting for someone to go by and it's only defended by those who do it like BattleMonkey. And as much as I like hunting down campers in games it not as easy as "just killing them". Apart from COD where you might be able to see them camping on the killcam you may have to be killed by someone at least once or possibly twice to realize they're camping and depending on the game/map/camping spot they can be difficult to get to to actually kill.

Fraeon

The most fun I've had in an FPS. Call of Duty: United Offensive:

Take a tank, park it just next to an objective. Shoot anyone who runs past you. Park elsewhere. Repeat.

Konig94

Neo Member
operon said:
Campers piss everyone off, staying in on eplace just so you can get a few kills ffs.
MW2 is full of them, some have the tents out, gas stove thermos flask etc

It's awesome in Modern Warfare 2 when someone throws down a tactical insertion and camps, two free kills :D.

Acosta

BWAAAAA, you cheated.
BWAAAAAAA, I had lag, shitty developers.
BWAAAAAAAA, stupid camper.

Grow a pair, is a combat game, if you decide to run like a fucking rabbit without protecting yourself you will end with a bullet in your head.

Keldor

BattleMonkey said:
I do, yet ironically I rarely camp in that, Assault and Engineer are my favorite classes.

BC2 is prime example where camping is situational. On offensive campers just ruin the game for your team, while it's important for defenders to camp. Objective based games are very different beast from a DM type of game.

Exactly, whining babies nowadays. Camping was originally when games were poorly designed that bases/spawns were camped and it made the game basically no fun as there was little a person could do to escape.

Now anytime a person is not run and gunning, they get called a camper :lol

Standing in one spot for long period of time racking up kills just makes the other side look stupid, most modern game design features multiple avenues of approach, moving/random spawns, and all kinds of gimmicks that get around campers.
Well said. I fucking hate campers in Bad Company 2 and will go out of my way to humiliate them.

operon

Fraeon said:
The most fun I've had in an FPS. Call of Duty: United Offensive:

Take a tank, park it just next to an objective. Shoot anyone who runs past you. Park elsewhere. Repeat.

Camping scum

Razor210

If you're waiting for people to run around a corner so you can kill them, you are a camper.

Unless you're defending something.

Cornbread78

Online-Gaming-camper.jpg

media_httpcachegawker_igytc.jpg.scaled500.jpg

I had to post the relevant pics...

BTW, the best thing to do to campers, is give 'em a good T-Bag for kill cam effect, then knife them in the back. I love meeting with a, prone, lonely camper on the cliff top in Afghan (MW2), giving him a little loving, then a knife in the back.

Razor210 said:
If you're waiting for people to run around a corner so you can kill them, you are a camper.

By that definition, you could pretty much argue that any kill made whilst one's stationary should be considered camping. Which is hilarious bullshit in the context of most fps games.

Fraeon

operon said:
Camping scum

I do love that. Especially the roasted marshmallows part.

But seriously, the game that has a killcam that tells you what happened. I'm having fun and whoever is stupid enough to repeatedly run past a tank parked next to the flag or whatever deserves the punishment they get.

Razor210

LabouredSubterfuge said:
By that definition, you could pretty much argue that any kill made whilst one's stationary should be considered camping. Which is hilarious bullshit in the context of most fps games.
Probably should have added "deliberately waiting with no knowledge that anyone will be walking by anytime soon"

Like hiding in a random corner on the outskirts of the map.

Razor210 said:
Probably should have added "deliberately waiting with no knowledge that anyone will be walking by anytime soon"

Like hiding in a random corner on the outskirts of the map.

I guess. But it's a balance thing.

I equally dislike it when a game is designed so that people can sprint and jump around like assclowns AND be ridiculously accurate. That almost pisses me off more.

Cornbread78

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Here's a defintion for you:

In multiplayer team games: A player who only values his or her own survival without caring for the condition of other team members. [Or: Player who hides in a safe place taking down the enemy as he approaches without placing himself in any real danger].

www.schwiezer.de/Partners/Dictionary/dictionary.html

or

(video games) A person who stays in one spot during a first-person shooting game.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/camper

Cornbread78 said:

In multiplayer team games: A player who only values his or her own survival without caring for the condition of other team members. [Or: Player who hides in a safe place taking down the enemy as he approaches without placing himself in any real danger].

or

(video games) A person who stays in one spot during a first-person shooting game.

That's a fair definition in a way. In objective based matches that sort of behaviour is clearly damaging to team performance which is key.

But for team deathmatch games, the negative connotations don't hold for me.

Yeef

The problem with camping is that most games aren't built for it. Often, in deathmatch games campers will have a high k:D ratio but few actual kills. In objective games they ignore the objective which means that their team is basically down a man. In elimination-style games there's nothing worse than having the only players left camping and having to watch the clock run down to 0.

Now there's a big difference between general camping and spawn camping. If spawn camping is possible it's just bad game design.

I don't mind camping that much, in a well designed game, it's supposed to be harder to snipe moving target that killing in close combat with an automatic rifle.

But I hate the way people keep hiding everywhere in CoD. But that's how the game is designed, everything is there to encourage camping : low health, huge auto aim, killstreak bonus, stats tracking(k/d ratio, etc...), tons of place to hide in the map...

Cornbread78 said:

or

When you run away from someone, hide in the corner waiting for him to show up, kill him, people will call you camper. But what did you expect? Turn around getting shot? You got owned by chasing him, Deal with it.

Razor210 said:

The best defense against this is either to use the vast tools the game uses to defeat a person with that strat, or just let him be. That person goes from a camper into a person that might as well be afk for his team.

But many times, people accuse people of cheating because they heard footsteps and got in position just like you would in any real situation or any game that involves shooting one person before someone shoots you. People bitch that folks camp in mw2, despite the fact that they're not using ninja (and therefore are obviously using commando) and expect me to not turn around and shotgun your sorry butt. Don't bother flanking either, just bee-line into the bad guys in hopes of not seeing you for some reason.

So, what do they do when they get denied? Well, 90% of the time they try the same thing twice...three times. Camping? Considering I got 3 kills in the last 15 seconds, I'm gonna go with no. Waiting 5 minutes in the middle of nowhere to get one unfortunate person is certainly camping. Standing in the middle of the map and sniping people (that refuse to learn how the maps flow and how to flank methodically) across the map? Not so much.

People want to dictate how to play a game rather than the game dictate the player. It's a weird phenomenon with gamers. Maybe it's ADD or the false sense of empowerment violent games give people. I dunno. But people don't complain about chess because people understand that chess dictates the play. Not the case for video games. This became especially true in MW2 for me. With tools like SitRep, Heart Beat sensor, UAV, Ninja, flanking, grenades and noob tubes...many players just refuse to use the obvious rock, paper scissors of that game and instead just insist that rock beats paper if you just keep doing it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
camping reminds me that people like increasing their k/d more than they like having fun

says something about the player, certainly

Cornbread78

Fantasy Final said:
When you run away from someone, hide in the corner waiting for him to show up, kill him, people will call you camper. But what did you expect? Turn around getting shot? You got owned by chasing him, Deal with it.

Hey, he was looking for a definition, so I provided one, LOL

Tom Penny

jon bones said:
camping reminds me that people like increasing their k/d more than they like having fun

says something about the player, certainly

I love the sniper camper who instead of watching your back proceeds to watch you getting shot and possibly killed and then cleans up using you as a meat shield. What's crazy is that I've thought about how many people have actually done that in real wars. There is obviously a scumbag percentage i'm sure.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sniper/prone/KDR should be removed from all games. Yes, sniper is a legit strategy, however the dumbfucks playing the games just use it to camp/up their KDR. BC2 is a clusterfucks of dumb fucks.

Mudkips said:
Camping defense force is disgusting.
I find it quite funny, actually.

"lolol u suck if u can't kill a camper" is the general consensus among them, and it's a shitty argument to boot. Killing the camper isn't the problem, it's the fact that he's camping in the first place. It's a lame tactic and ANYONE can do it efficiently if they have the patience and a good hiding spot. Camping is honestly in the same camp as griefers to me: it's lame and if you need to resort to such tactics to "feel good" at a game, then I feel bad for you and your life.

Revolutionary said:
I find it quite funny, actually.

"lolol u suck if u can't kill a camper" is the general consensus among them, and it's a shitty argument to boot. Killing the camper isn't the problem, it's the fact that he's camping in the first place. It's a lame tactic and ANYONE can do it efficiently if they have the patience and a good hiding spot. Camping is honestly in the same camp as griefers to me: it's lame and if you need to resort to such tactics to "feel good" at a game, then I feel bad for you and your life.

You feel bad for their life yet you're the one who seems to be taking it too much to heart.

Camping whiners are generally just sore losers who have to justify their failure by trying to put someone down as using a "cheap" tactic.

BattleMonkey said:
You feel bad for their life yet you're the one who seems to be taking it too much to heart.

Camping whiners are generally just sore losers who have to justify their failure.
I'm taking it too much to heart? Did you miss the first sentence in my post somehow? The one you quoted? :lol
Again, I think you guys are hilarious; that you need to convince yourselves that it's the game's problem and not a problem with your lack of skills in a videogame is just hysterical to me.

Revolutionary said:
I'm taking it too much to heart? Did you miss the first sentence in my post somehow? The one you quoted? :lol
Again, I think you guys are hilarious; that you need to convince yourselves that it's the game's problem and not a problem with your lack of skills in a videogame is just hysterical to me.

If it helps you sleep better at night to laugh at it, go ahead.

Also, I recognize a difference between "waiting in obscure, especially hidden spot, for someone to wander by and getting a head shot the entire match" and getting into a firefight, maybe retreating, or killing someone, and basically waiting for the second assault in a strategic place to gain the upperhand.

One is camping. The other isn't.

The first isn't even that bad since dealing with campers is pretty easy. You know where they are, so go get them. Don't get in their line of sight.

Strike

I would also like to include boosters into the very special group of people that earned a permanent spot on my shit list.

Modern Warfare 2 is one of the worst offenders, but if you can find them the benefit is some easy kills.

Standing in a corner and killing your friend over and over again is nothing to brag about.

Top Bottom