• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defunct Stores/restaurants you remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

Sprouse-Ritz: Was a small five and dime store on the West Coast, ended up closing in 93, when Wal-Mart started taking of.

A&W: Not the current fast food chains, the original restaurants (they were so much better).

Ceebs

Phar-Mor.jpg

Used to rent tons of movies and games from this place for dirt cheap compared to the local video stores.

G-Fex

I swear that Hills looks familiar, ever have any stores in california?

Anyone else remember newberry book stores?

surrogate

Jamesway - dept store
Bradlees - dept store
Two Guys - dept store
Crazy Eddie - electronics
HL Green's - discount store
Cost Cutter - drug/discount store and all around shithole
The Wiz - electronics
Grand Union - supermarket

thefro

Lots of department stores
TG&Y
Service Mechandise
Montgomery Ward

There's a few others that turned into Macy's, basically.

Lots of old drug store chains that are now CVS (Hooks was one around here).

Can't remember any big chain restaurants going under around here (besides the aforementioned Chi-Chi's)... a smaller place or two that GAF wouldn't know about.

DarkKyo

2iS4C.gif

I remember going to this all the time as a kid...

But in middle school I heard a bunch of kids ate there and got food poisoning from it.

It's no longer there.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
2854653995_b91de0927e.jpg

Montgomery Wards

eV9Kb.jpg

FuncoLand

tumblr_lnkp8aN8N11qacl57o1_500.jpg

Leaps N Bounds / Discovery Zone

gamerush.jpg

GameRush

game-crazy-training-vid.jpg

GameCrazy

Babbages.jpg

Babbage's

2317845871_534a0b0123.jpg

Venture

... and so, so, SO many more awesome video game retailers; both big and small. Seriously, I HATE Gamestop so much - they killed all the unique places to hang out, play games, and talk shop.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
685030485_2d7875f95f.jpg

saw and played with my first computers there.
bought a little gold necklace when I was 11 to try and be cool there.
uhhh... bought Streets of Rage 2 and 3 there.

I know wikipedia says otherwise, but I have driven past Hills stores in NC that are still open and operating.

Came here to post Chi Chi's.

There was an abandoned one near my place in GA. They locked it up one day with everything still inside of it. After five years of it sitting there totally abandoned we decided to go take a closer look. The doors were unlocked, and everything was still there, down to cans of ingredients etc etc. It was really damn spooky.

KHarvey16

Tower Records (I guess it still exists overseas and online though)
B. Dalton Bookstore and Software Etc.
Service Merchandise
Definitely Caldor also!

^Funcoland looks so beautiful :')

First one that sprang to mind for me was Montgomery Ward. As a very small child I thought it was called "Mama's gummy words" and, naturally, I thought my mom owned it. Outside of that little childhood anecdote, though, I'm not too upset that it's gone.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pic-N-Save. Changed to Big Lots, but there's a strip-mall here that still has (nearly 20 years later) the Pic-N-Save logo on some windows in what used to be the "anchor" store. It's crazy.

You know what was awesome about Children's Palace? They sold import toys like GUNDAM figures and other cool anime stuff. The boxes would be in Japanese and everything, just with an American price tag. It was awesome.

They also had the biggest selection of those '80s RC robots. I always wanted this bad boy:

Tomy_omnibot.jpg

My parents got me that thing. Sadly we lived in a carpeted home and it didn't work well on the carpet. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Boardwalk USA Arcades (Can't even find a picture because Boardwalk and USA bring up too many hits).

Used credit-cards that you charged with time, and could play all the games for the time you paid for. Used credits for premium games like the VR simulators, and Laser Tag.

5484sz.jpg

Dead (in America at least). It put Wal-Mart Supercenter to shame in both size and quality (and this actual store actually gave the idea of supercenters to Wal-Mart in the first place). The best part was how they handled shopping carts. They were coin-operated and if you wanted your quarter back, you had to bring your cart back into storage.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I was always excited to go to Service Merchandise as a kid. For some reason, placing an order for something from a display unit, then going to that huge roller conveyor to wait for it to shoot out through the curtain was overwhelmingly more fun than just putting it in a cart then paying for it.

I also miss these places:

Black Eyed Pea restaurants
Burger Chef (which were bought by Hardee's)
Blocks (local department store chain in Indiana)
LS Ayres (sucked up by Macy's. also fairly local to Indiana)
Fuddruckers (gone in Indiana)
Dick Clark's American Bandstand Restaurants

My town, too, had a Hills, an Ames, and a Rax. Hills used to always have their own fireworks on July 4, after the local ones ended. That was pretty cool...

surrogate

NY, NJ or CONN?

I came to post Two Guys

NJ. The only thing I really remember about Two Guys was when they added an arcade and a vague recollection of the store being robbed by a few local police officers.

Another place I remember that had an arcade in the same building was Beefsteak Charlies.

Smidget

Not sure how widely spread this chain was but:

500px-Steak_%26_Ale.svg.png

They had an early bird special cajun chicken pasta, with a free drink, their salad bar, the entree and dessert for like $10-12 (forgot exactly)... yum.

Plus my local one looked like a weird German house or something:

DSC_3163_LEAD_t640.JPG

Edit: Damn you DOO13ER! ;)

Child World - like Toys R Us, but with a fake castle exterior.

Sambo's - restaurant with an accidentally racist name. There's only one left.

Zayre - similar to K-Mart and Target.

Caldor
Circuit City
Media Play

I used to like all three. I remember Caldor closed when I was still a very little kid, but my mom and grandma would go shopping while my grandpa would take me to the little carousel/arcade they had and I'd play there while they shopped.

Caldor
Circuit City
Media Play

I used to like all three. I remember Caldor closed when I was still a very little kid, but my mom and grandma would go shopping while my grandpa would take me to the little carousel/arcade they had and I'd play there while they shopped.

Funniest bit of Caldor history was when they tried to edit the NYT Best Seller list to occlude Howard Stern's Private Parts:

wikipedia said:
Stern disagreement

Most Caldor stores had a bookselling department, and the stores would often post the New York Times Best Seller list to inform its shoppers. The posting of the list led to a spat with the newspaper in 1993. That year, Howard Stern released his autobiography Private Parts. Caldor wanted nothing to do with the book and would not carry it in its stores. In fact, Caldor would not even acknowledge the book's place on the list once it reached the top spot, moving every other book on the list up one place. The New York Times told Caldor that in order to post the list, all of the books on it had to be acknowledged. Caldor responded by not posting the list the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom