• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic House Candidates Were Also Targets of Russian Hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
WASHINGTON — South Florida has long been a laboratory for some of the nation’s roughest politics, with techniques like phantom candidates created by political rivals to siphon off votes from their opponents, or so-called boleteras hired to illegally fill out stacks of absentee ballots on behalf of elderly or disabled voters.

But there was never anything quite like the 2016 election campaign, when a handful of Democratic House candidates became targets of a Russian influence operation that made thousands of pages of documents stolen by hackers from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in Washington available to Florida reporters and bloggers.

“It was like I was standing out there naked,” said Annette Taddeo, a Democrat who lost her primary race after secret campaign documents were made public. “I just can’t describe it any other way. Our entire internal strategy plan was made public, and suddenly all this material was out there and could be used against me.”

The impact of the information released by the hackers on candidates like Ms. Taddeo in Florida and others in nearly a dozen House races around the country was largely lost in the focus on the hacking attacks against the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. But this untold story underscores the effect the Russian operation had on the American electoral system.

“This is not a traditional tit-for-tat on a partisan political campaign, where one side hits the other and then you respond,” said Kelly Ward, executive director of the D.C.C.C. “This is an attack by a foreign actor that had the intent to disrupt our election, and we were the victims of it.”

Why the Russian government might care about these unglamorous House races is a source of bafflement for some of the lawmakers who were targeted. But if the goal of Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, was to make American democracy a less attractive model to his own citizens and to Russia’s neighbors, then entangling congressional races in accusations of leaks and subterfuge was a step in the right direction.

The intrusions in House races in states including Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Ohio, Illinois, New Mexico and North Carolina can be traced to tens of thousands of pages of documents taken from the D.C.C.C., which shares a Capitol Hill office building with the Democratic National Committee.

The document dump’s effectiveness was due in part to a de facto alliance that formed between the Russian hackers and political bloggers and newspapers across the United States. The hackers, working under the made-up name of Guccifer 2.0, used social media tools to invite individual reporters to request specific caches of documents, handing them out the way political operatives distribute scoops. It was an arrangement that proved irresistible to many news outlets — and amplified the consequences of the cyberattack.

“It’s time for new revelations now,” the Guccifer 2.0 website proclaimed, as it began to pass out the D.C.C.C. documents, trying to entice reporters to look at them on their own. “All of you may have heard about the D.C.C.C. hack. As you see I wasn’t wasting my time! It was even easier than in the case of the D.N.C. breach.”

Cybersecurity consultants believe the hacking of the D.C.C.C. took place around March or April of 2016 after a staffer clicked on a so-called phishing email. The D.C.C.C. shut down its computer system for a week — from the moment it learned of the attack in June. But it was already too late to close the door. The consequences started to become clear in August when the hackers released the home addresses, cellphone numbers and personal email addresses of Democratic House members.

“As you are aware, the D.C.C.C. and other Democratic Party entities have been the target of cybersecurity intrusions — an electronic Watergate break-in,” the House minority leader, Nancy Pelosi, wrote in an email the day after the personal information was released. The email continued, “It has been widely reported that this cybersecurity incident is part of a Russian cyberattack which appears to be an attempt to interfere with our elections. We take this troubling situation very seriously and have notified the appropriate authorities, including the F.B.I. and Sergeant-at-Arms.”

State troopers were sent to the homes of House Democrats across the United States, and they were urged to immediately change their cellphone numbers and personal email addresses, although this took place after many received a series of obscene calls, texts and emails.

Here's the money shot:

After the first political advertisement appeared using the hacked material, Mr. Luján wrote a letter to his Republican counterpart at the National Republican Congressional Committee urging him to not use this stolen material in the 2016 campaign.

“The N.R.C.C.’s use of documents stolen by the Russians plays right into the hands of one of the United States’ most dangerous adversaries,” Mr. Luján’s Aug. 29 letter said. “Put simply, if this action continues, the N.R.C.C. will be complicit in aiding the Russian government in its effort to influence American elections.”

Ms. Pelosi sent a similar letter in early September to Mr. Ryan. Neither received a response. By October, the Congressional Leadership Fund, a “super PAC” tied to Mr. Ryan, had used the stolen material in another advertisement, attacking Mr. Garcia during the general election in Florida.

AshLee Strong, a spokeswoman for Mr. Ryan, said he did not control how the material was used in the ad, although she did not dispute that the material had been stolen as part of an act of Russian espionage. “Speaker Ryan has said for months that foreign intervention in our elections is unacceptable,” she said in a written statement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/house-democrats-hacking-dccc.html?mwrsm=Facebook&_r=0

This was Watergate as carried out by the KGB. The worst part is we knew about it while it was happening and no one bothered to make it into a story. This story could have been written back in October, much like the other one, but no one bothered.

How is knowingly using files in a political campaign passed to you by a foreign government's espionage program not a form of treason?

We actually had a scandal worse than Watergate and no one bothered with it until after it was all said and done.

yeah man, but have you met benjamin ghazi?

in all seriousness, its fucking terrifying how little people care because their side "won" and, im pretty sure, they dont understand why its a big deal in the first place, cheifly because they "won" and the ends justify the means to them.

If putin flew a drone over a clinton rally, blew it all the fuck up, i seriously believe we'd hear "well at least shes gone"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The document dump’s effectiveness was due in part to a de facto alliance that formed between the Russian hackers and political bloggers and newspapers across the United States. The hackers, working under the made-up name of Guccifer 2.0, used social media tools to invite individual reporters to request specific caches of documents, handing them out the way political operatives distribute scoops. It was an arrangement that proved irresistible to many news outlets — and amplified the consequences of the cyberattack.

Thanks media.

Meanwhile

CzpklkoWEAA8J5o.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/809069737879674888

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Here's the money shot:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/house-democrats-hacking-dccc.html?mwrsm=Facebook&_r=0

This was Watergate as carried out by the KGB. The worst part is we knew about it while it was happening and no one bothered to make it into a story. This story could have been written back in October, much like the other one, but no one bothered.

How is knowingly using files in a political campaign passed to you by a foreign government's espionage program not a form of treason?

We actually had a scandal worse than Watergate and no one bothered with it until after it was all said and done.

FSB these days. Get your names right, comrade.

Although Putin is apparently toying with the idea of reviving the KGB, which should be giving everybody the heebie jeebies.

On topic: The GOP's history of sedition traces back to Iran. Nobody should expect anything better from them.

I only really remember the tail end of the cold war and it still boggles my mind that people aren't more freaked out by this. We were SO SCARED OF AND PISSED OFF BY THE SOVIET UNION! Where did that all go?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The question is what now? Will anyone with any power actually do anything about this or just let it go? It people just let it go, I fear that even more people will check out of the political process.

I only really remember the tail end of the cold war and it still boggles my mind that people aren't more freaked out by this. We were SO SCARED OF AND PISSED OFF BY THE SOVIET UNION! Where did that all go?

SO PISSED OFF...unless the can help my "team" win!!!!

Wilsongt

Maybe they wouldn't have gotten hacked if they had nothing to hide.

/s

Where is the Republican hack information so we can "both sides" this bingo card.

This whole election was fucking disgusting.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Is this the biggest political scandal in history that didn't involve an assassination? I can't think of a bigger one.

Vena

People are really kidding themselves if they think that Russian meddling into the election had no appreciable effect.

And little by little the scandal grows. Question is how hard are Ryan and McConnel going to downplay this. It's obvious that they only care about power.

Deku Tree

If this is True then Dem's really screwed it by not making this into a huge story that rocked headlines. They could have IMO but they didn't.

So the party that drummed up the red scare to get rid of political enemies, now actively used the reds to help them get power. The republican party is anti-american as it gets. It's not even hidden, it's right out in the open. And they still get support. I don't understand it.

120v

if i were joe six pack republican i'd imagine the narrative in my mind would be .... reagan obliterated the soviets and now they're good guys. then 30 years later the good guys hacked hillary and exposed her lies

Vena

If this is True then Dem's really screwed it by not making this into a huge story that rocked headlines. They could have IMO but they didn't.

McConnell threatened to blow it up against Dems as an attempt to influence election. Now we see where his actual loyalties lie.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's the thing, they tried to. We knew about the DNC and DCCC hacks back during the summer. We knew it was done by the Russians back then too. It's not like they kept this shit a secret, it's just that no one bothered giving it any real coverage. Clinton's e-mail scandal and whatever Trump's scandal of the week was were covered instead.

fanboi

Banned
I wonder if the stock markets reaction after trump was elected is the reason there is so little reaction...

Hillary Clinton was on a megaphone everyday yelling about this, and yet everytime she tried she would be shut down saying she was attempting to dodge what was in the stolen material.

The media literally acted as Russian propaganda for the entire election. If physical documents had been stolen by Russian operatives, and then delivered to news stations they probably would have never run anything at all.

Iorv3th

Here's the money shot:

They do not have evidence that this was the russian government. Other than saying "well russia did a similar e-mail phishing scheme in the past".

Some dumbass in charge decided to click an email to reset his password and gave everything away. Similar to how the nude celebrity pictures got out. It is a widely used tactic to get into peoples accounts and it works on a lot of people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hillary Clinton was on a megaphone everyday yelling about this, and yet everytime she tried she would be shut down saying she was attempting to dodge what was in the stolen material.

The media literally acted as Russian propaganda for the entire election.

Which is something that the Times admits, in no uncertain terms, in their breakdown of the Clinton hacks and what followed.

They do not have evidence that this was the russian government. Other than saying "well russia did a similar e-mail phishing scheme in the past".

Some dumbass in charge decided to click an email to reset his password and gave everything away. Similar to how the nude celebrity pictures got out. It is a widely used tactic to get into peoples accounts and it works on a lot of people.

No proof other than the CIA, FBI, and like 13 private cyber security firms saying in no uncertain terms that it was the Russians. There's a reason Obama's asked for the reports to be released before he leaves office.

According to?

So the party that drummed up the red scare to get rid of political enemies, now actively used the reds to help them get power. The republican party is anti-american as it gets. It's not even hidden, it's right out in the open. And they still get support. I don't understand it.

I guess you just don't get the plight of poor, poor white conservative Christians not being able to shove their religion down everyone's throat.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

No evidence, just a bucket of traces pointing towards the same direction according not just to the CIA, but several IT firms.

I do agree with The Intercept's take on this mess, though: the CIA probably has the evidence, so they should release it.

It must be stated plainly: The U.S. intelligence community must make its evidence against Russia public if they want us to believe their claims. The integrity of our presidential elections is vital to the country’s survival; blind trust in the CIA is not. A governmental disclosure like this is also not entirely without precedent: In 2014, the Department of Justice produced a 56-page indictment detailing their exact evidence against a team of Chinese hackers working for the People’s Liberation Army, accused of stealing American trade secrets; each member was accused by name. The 2014 trade secret theft was a crime of much lower magnitude than election meddling, but what the DOJ furnished is what we should demand today from our country’s spies.
Given that the U.S. routinely attempts to intercept the communications of heads of state around the world, it’s not impossible that the CIA or the NSA has exactly this kind of proof. Granted, these intelligence agencies will be loathe to reveal any evidence that could compromise the method they used to gather it. But in times of extraordinary risk, with two enormous military powers placed in direct conflict over national sovereignty, we need an extraordinary disclosure. The stakes are simply too high to take anyone’s word for it.

The inter-agency warring needs to come to and end and the CIA should spill the beans. Secrecy has little value here.

BigDug13

Pretty sure most republican voters (and politicians) are completely ok with the entirety of Russian government continuing to target democrats only.

Iorv3th

According to?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/does-government-know-hacked-emails/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/does-government-know-hacked-emails/ said:
Without more definitive statements, it’s difficult for some technical experts to take the government’s word on faith, she and others have said.

“There’s no evidence that this was done by the state itself, only evidence it was done by non-state actors that might be Russian-speaking,” said Jeffrey Carr, CEO of the cyber security consultancy firm Taia Global, referring to the evidence available to the public.

That evidence, which was released by private threat assessment companies rather than official channels, indicates hackers used Cyrillic keyboards and operated during Moscow working hours.

But indicators of identity like timestamps, language preferences and IP addresses “can be manipulated or faked rather easily,” said Juan Andres Guerrero-Saade, a senior security researcher at Kaspersky Lab.

Somehow wouldn't surprise me that top-level Republicans made a deal with Russians to win at all costs to their mutual short-term benefit. Shit is seriously fucked up.

winjet81

Cybersecurity consultants believe the hacking of the D.C.C.C. took place around March or April of 2016 after a staffer clicked on a so-called phishing email.
I don't know about you guys, but I have no sympathy for the DCCC because it was their lax security measures that enabled the releasing of the hounds.

I don't know about you guys, but I have no sympathy for the DCCC because it was their lax security measures that enabled the releasing of the hounds.

So it's OK for a foreign power to spread private information in order to influence an election, because their phising attempt was successful?

leroidys

You can both be outraged about foreign interference in our election and think these staffers are idiots.

Caja 117

And how do you know the Republican side isnt as bad as well? this happened to the Dem. because the interest was to go against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom