• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Democratic House Candidates Were Also Targets of Russian Hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't know about you guys, but I have no sympathy for the DCCC because it was their lax security measures that enabled the releasing of the hounds.

I mean, think about what you're saying and what it says about your priorities

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
And Obama has done absolutely piss-all nothing about it. What a way to end his presidency.
Please share what the lame duck president should have done. During an election season. Where the Senate leader threatened to claim it eould be partisan posturing on the side of the Dems.

I'll wait…

schnarf

And Obama has done absolutely piss-all nothing about it. What a way to end his presidency.

I keep seeing this view expressed, and find it troubling. If this whole thing is bigger than Watergate then something huge and illegal went down. I would be shocked if Obama even knowing what little the public has been made aware of is just sitting back and doing nothing.
Loretta Lynch on Maddow last said that in regard to cases it is making right now "...can`t say right now what will develop there, but obviously, it`s being looked at and reviewed from a variety of angles."
The WH press secretary two days ago said republicans who knew about Russia's involvement and chose to support Trump will have to explain themselves. If nothing was being done about this, that seems like an odd thing to say more than once. A lot of what he said was actually very interesting, he picked his words very very carefully, with purpose (something only one reporter at the press briefing noticed and questioned).
The CIA story leak was to get this back in front of the public, and now he is waiting for the right time to present the evidence and bring responsible parties to justice.
The stage is currently being set.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I keep seeing this view expressed, and find it troubling. If this whole thing is bigger than Watergate then something huge and illegal went down. I would be shocked if Obama even knowing what little the public has been made aware of is just sitting back and doing nothing.
Loretta Lynch on Maddow last said that in regard to cases it is making right now "...can`t say right now what will develop there, but obviously, it`s being looked at and reviewed from a variety of angles."
The WH press secretary two days ago said republicans who knew about Russia's involvement and chose to support Trump will have to explain themselves. If nothing was being done about this, that seems like an odd thing to say more than once. A lot of what he said was actually very interesting, he picked his words very very carefully, with purpose (something only one reporter at the press briefing noticed and questioned).
The CIA story leak was to get this back in front of the public, and now he is waiting for the right time to present the evidence and bring responsible parties to justice.

The issue is the whole thing needs to be wrapped up before he leaves office in a month or Trump will just put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Nikodemos

And how do you know the Republican side isnt as bad as well? this happened to the Dem. because the interest was to go against them.
Actually, according to preliminary reports the Repubs have been hacked as well, yet no data regarding them has 'leaked'.

Ostrava

Neo Member
We don't know if the Russian government order the hack or if it was a third party shouldn't we wait until we have more details?

schnarf

The issue is the whole thing needs to be wrapped up before he leaves office in a month or Trump will just put the kibosh on the whole thing.
I agree and I suspect it will be. Doing anything now would be seen as him trying to steal the election from Trump.

People forget Obama is very smart and has an amazing poker face.

Lubricus

You're citing a source from October. It is now December. A lot of intelligence has been gathered since then.

From 15 hours ago:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-intelligence-idUSKBN14204E

The overseers of the U.S. intelligence community have not embraced a CIA assessment that Russian cyber attacks were aimed at helping Republican President-elect Donald Trump win the 2016 election, three American officials said on Monday.

While the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) does not dispute the CIA's analysis of Russian hacking operations, it has not endorsed their assessment because of a lack of conclusive evidence that Moscow intended to boost Trump over Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, said the officials, who declined to be named.

The position of the ODNI, which oversees the 17 agency-strong U.S. intelligence community, could give Trump fresh ammunition to dispute the CIA assessment, which he rejected as "ridiculous" in weekend remarks, and press his assertion that no evidence implicates Russia in the cyber attacks.

Trump's rejection of the CIA's judgment marks the latest in a string of disputes over Russia's international conduct that have erupted between the president-elect and the intelligence community he will soon command.

An ODNI spokesman declined to comment on the issue.

"ODNI is not arguing that the agency (CIA) is wrong, only that they can't prove intent," said one of the three U.S. officials. "Of course they can't, absent agents in on the decision-making in Moscow."

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, whose evidentiary standards require it to make cases that can stand up in court, declined to accept the CIA's analysis - a deductive assessment of the available intelligence - for the same reason, the three officials said.

Senators and others want to have hearings to confirm possible intent.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
From 15 hours ago:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-intelligence-idUSKBN14204E

Senators and others want to have hearings to confirm possible intent.

While the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) does not dispute the CIA's analysis of Russian hacking operations, it has not endorsed their assessment because of a lack of conclusive evidence that Moscow intended to boost Trump over Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, said the officials, who declined to be named.

The ODNI, headed by James Clapper

Hey look who that is

Noting that Clapper in November testified that intelligence agencies lacked strong evidence linking Russian cyber attacks to the WikiLeaks disclosures, Nunes asked that Clapper, together with CIA and FBI counterparts, brief the panel by Friday on the latest intelligence assessment of Russian hacking during the election campaign.

We are at a point where they are asking for "intent" because it is already established NOW that it was Russian actors, yet they couldn't even determine that the Russian cyber attacks were connected to the leaks in November.

Iorv3th

Actually, according to preliminary reports the Repubs have been hacked as well, yet no data regarding them has 'leaked'.

Some has been leaked but it mostly amounted to nothing. Was listed on the same site as the democrat hacks by guccifier 2.0.

Nibiru

Banned

He knew about it awhile too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&mtrref=t.co

Mr. Obama was briefed regularly on all this, but he made a decision that many in the White House now regret: He did not name Russians publicly, or issue sanctions. There was always a reason: fear of escalating a cyberwar, and concern that the United States needed Russia’s cooperation in negotiations over Syria.

“We’d have all these circular meetings,” one senior State Department official said, “in which everyone agreed you had to push back at the Russians and push back hard. But it didn’t happen.”

Some would say Obama was being a coward others would say pragmatic. Either way it's on him.

MIMIC

Banned
Meanwhile

CzpklkoWEAA8J5o.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/809069737879674888

This is incredibly fascinating.

pgtl_10

Funny how the Russians are to blame for Democrats imcompetence. This is more political power play ahead of the electoral college vote.

From another NY Times article:

Attribution, as the skill of identifying a cyberattacker is known, is more art than science. It is often impossible to name an attacker with absolute certainty. But over time, by accumulating a reference library of hacking techniques and targets, it is possible to spot repeat offenders. Fancy Bear, for instance, has gone after military and political targets in Ukraine and Georgia, and at NATO installations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

NY Times find real evidence before making nonsense claims.

pgtl_10

There’s no way to know for sure that the Russian government and its intelligence agencies are really behind the hack on the DNC and the bizarre claims by Guccifer 2.0. (The Russian embassy in Washington, DC did not respond to a request for comment.) But if they are, this might be a huge turning point in the history of government hacking campaigns.

Once again a whole lot of words but no actual proof.

Nafai1123

Banned
Funny how the Russians are to blame for Democrats imcompetence. This is more political power play ahead of the electoral college vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Funny how I see the same people over and over again downplaying the seriousness of this.

Once again a whole lot of words but no actual proof.

You do understand how the internet and hacking works right? Of course it's difficult to find hard, definitive proof when people are covering their tracks.

I feel like Russia is just an excuse at this point. A distraction from the fact that the 60+ million people that empower the Republican party are morally and intellectually bankrupt.

These people have been embracing fake news, lobbying awful smears against Democrats, and exhibiting insane levels of hypocrisy well before this election. Russian influence didn't bring us 2 Bush-Cheney terms, flip the House Republican, or turn a ton of State governments Republican during the course of Obama's Presidency. They didn't make the Republican Director of the FBI reopen the email investigation just weeks before the election. They didn't make our news media turn elections into a horse race that needs to be actively kept neck and neck for profit.

And just I'm not sure what can be done about it. They never face up to their failures. They'll either be forgotten or find someone to scapegoat.

They know it was the Russians(forensics) and their motive was obvious by whom they targeted and how the information was leaked out.

Many pro Clinton reporters/writers had blocked hundreds of MAGA type twitter accounts who would argue/troll and spew pro-Trump rhetoric. These accounts amazingly vanished right after the election.

All they don't (seem to) have is emails between trump and Putin or something to that effect but we knew they communicated.

Not hard to connect the dots, I imagine FBI and other skeptics want a smoking gun. That's where the disagreement between FBI and CIA lies.

Red

Wow. Fucking traitors. Go to Russia if that's what you want, you obviously share similar views on human rights and the role of government in our lives.
I mean, yeah, they do. That's why Russian involvement is not a problem for them. The Republican Party did not ease down a slope into isolationism. It fell through a trap door right into it.

The Atlantic did a piece on this recently.

gogosox82

Whats going to be done about it?

Nothing. McConnell said Obama would be politicizing the issue if he brought it up so he dropped it. Obama also didn't want to start a cyberwar with Russia seeing as he needs to be on good terms with them to reach some sort of agreement on Syria.

Nikodemos

He knew about it awhile too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/us/politics/russia-hack-election-dnc.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&mtrref=t.co

Some would say Obama was being a coward others would say pragmatic. Either way it's on him.
That's fucking terrible.
"Fear of escalating a cyberwar"? WTF?!? When somebody's shooting at you, you don't shoot back out of fear of them shooting harder?!?
"Russia’s cooperation in negotiations over Syria"? They never gave a shit! They only bothered 'negotiating' when the ground situation was favourable to them!

Obama really was kindergarten level at foreign policy. It showed during his terms, it bit him in the ass then, and will bite everybody in the ass afterwards. We seriously need Neorealists back in the driver's seat. Unfortunately, with Trump on the throne, we're likely to not get them any time soon.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Will the democrats ever have anyone with enough balls to drag the republicans through dirt and accuse them of treason for the party's role in abetting an enemy of the United States to influence the election?

Nafai1123

Banned
Just a reminder, Guccifer 2.0 claimed responsibility for the DNC hacks (http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...at-we-know-about-russias-role-dnc-email-leak/).

US intelligence agencies had "high confidence" that the DNC hacks were actually perpetrated by Russia. The US in October formally accused Russia of the DNC hacks in order to manipulate our elections. (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/08/u...cuses-russia-of-stealing-dnc-emails.html?_r=0)

So please, anyone still skeptical that this all ties together and implicates Russia, do some research. This shit is dangerous to our democracy and to the world, and writing it off as "well there's no proof!" is intellectually dishonest at best.

Honestly, with all this mounting, it should be grounds for a national recount. I know there's no chance of that (is there even any protocol for such a move? I don't know if there is for an American election), but in a just world, that's exactly what should happen in an election so close and so clearly influenced by a foreign party

That both Rs and Ds are unfavorable on Putin, but Rs significantly less so.

Ah, okay, I see it now. Holy shit, that is terrifying.

Alucard725

Neo Member
Don't know how this country comes together short of a damn alien invasion. The GOP has aligned itself with hostile foreign power and are traitors. Once he assumes office, Trump will do everything to stay in power with help from his collaborators in congress. He believes the law doesn't apply to him. Hope the Democrats have the spine to oppose him at every turn no matter the cost. Scary shit.

Honestly, with all this mounting, it should be grounds for a national recount. I know there's no chance of that (is there even any protocol for such a move? I don't know if there is for an American election), but in a just world, that's exactly what should happen in an election so close and so clearly influenced by a foreign party

Ah, okay, I see it now. Holy shit, that is terrifying.

A national recount will end up almost exactly like the Wisconsin one, where nothing changes in the end and we've spent a ton of money and not accomplished very much. They didn't hack the actual election, they just leaked information that controlled the narrative of the whole thing up until election day.

Damaniel

Banned
Lol, I feel really stupid here, but what exactly is chart saying?

It's saying that as of late, Republicans as a whole have become very enamored with Putin - a -9 net approval rating means that Republicans are split with approximately 54% disapproval and 46% approval of him. By contrast, Democrats are much closer to 85% disapprove, 15% approve.

And Republicans call Democrats un-American...

A national recount will end up almost exactly like the Wisconsin one, where nothing changes in the end and we've spent a ton of money and not accomplished very much. They didn't hack the actual election, they just leaked information that controlled the narrative of the whole thing up until election day.

May not be the same thing, but within the same forest. I think a revelation like that should very much be grounds for a recount, especially when we're talking a election with such a close margin. This shit is major, at least in my opinion.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

This is some hopium level nonsense right here. The time to act was 4 months ago, 6 months ago.

To this day, nearly 8 years from Obama learning the Republicans are some evil partisan motherfuckers who would rather blow up the country than concede anything ever ... nearly 8 years from learning that the hard way, he's going to sit and wait hoping for a bipartisan consensus to attack this thing.

Of freaking COURSE it will be Obama's famous blindspot that costs him his legacy.

Please learn how the intelligence community functions before you rant.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/12/14/trumps-war-against-intelligence/

The second counter-charge is that there has been “no evidence” produced by the U.S. government that directly implicates the Russian government in interfering with the presidential election. Unfortunately, the IC generally does not, and likely will not, publicly release the evidence that serves as the basis for its analytical judgment of any Russian involvement. Doing so would reveal the sources and collection methods that were used to obtain the evidence. Indeed, an unnamed U.S. official has already told that Los Angeles Times that producing such specific information would compromise its future intelligence collection capabilities.

The IC — either in released documents, congressional hearings, or interviews — almost never declares such evidence publicly. (With then-Secretary of State Colin Powell’s February 2003 presentation before the U.N. Security Council being an extremely rare instance.) This has always been the case. Interested readers can skim over 1,700 fully or partially declassified NIEs at the CIA’s Electronic Reading Room, which are searchable by title, geographic area, and function. You notice analytical judgments with qualifying language, but rarely the granular “proof” in the form of names, clear command and control instructions, or chains of evidence.

Media

May not be the same thing, but within the same forest. I think a revelation like that should very much be grounds for a recount, especially when we're talking a election with such a close margin. This shit is major, at least in my opinion.
He's saying a recount would amount to fuck all, because people voted based on propaganda. You'd be more accurate to say this should trigger a revote.

He's saying a recount would amount to fuck all, because people voted based on propaganda. You'd be more accurate to say this should trigger a revote.

I misspoke there, I actually meant revote lol. My bad. We need a new election, frankly, after all this is coming to light. But I know very well we won't.

What I've been really curious about is why, beyond fucking with our system, have the Russians done this. Is it because they genuinely feel like Trump and others on the right are better for them in terms of ignoring their attempts at annexation lately? Is it because they think the Right will run our country into the ground?

I for one find it more likely that it's something at least similar to the latter. The Russians at the top aren't stupid and they know people like Trump are just going to put our country in shambles so why not try and get him elected. Trump's own ties to business over there certainly helps I'd wager, but that doesn't seem like a strong enough reason for the push against the Democrats as a whole

lazygecko

What I've been really curious about is why, beyond fucking with our system, have the Russians done this. Is it because they genuinely feel like Trump and others on the right are better for them in terms of ignoring their attempts at annexation lately? Is it because they think the Right will run our country into the ground?

On a broader geopolitical scale, any political fractures across the west means less unified diplomatic resistance against their own foreign policy ambitions. But with Trump in particular they are placing bets on loosening up economic sanctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom