• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls PS5 - The sixth Archstone IS broken

Vae_Victis

Banned
Since this has been discussed a lot in the past months, but I haven't seen anyone really pointing it out yet: the sixth Archstone in the remake is broken, like in the original.

Demon-s-Souls-Nexus.jpg

Demon-s-Souls-Nexus-2.jpg

b3n56gcpie741.jpg

It actually looks more damaged in the remake than in the original, since there is no visible relief at all. But that might be due to shadows, as there seems to be some kind of cloth put on top of it?

In any case, it definitely doesn't look like the other regular functioning Archstones.

Yoboman

They essentially would have to make the level from scratch. There isn't much there even in the files and boundary breaks that have been dug up in what that level is meant to be beyond a snowy setting

I hope its in the game but not counting on it

#Phonepunk#

Banned
They didn’t add a bunch of extra colossi to that game either. People hoping for a whole new world I really dont get it.

Vae_Victis

Banned
They didn’t add a bunch of extra colossi to that game either. People hoping for a whole new world I really dont get it.
I think at the end of the day it's money that talks.

The Shadow of the Colossus remake was not expected to be a huge seller, and it would have been hard do implement more Colossi after the fact with DLC. It would have been a lot of work, and it would have altered the flow of the game quite visibly.

Demon's Souls is a much more prominent release with clearly a higher budget and bigger expectations. So if it sells and is received very well, Sony would probably greenlight a DLC, because it would mean more money. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
funny how people just think any company can make From level worlds now.

if anything it's a giant misunderstanding of how unique these games are.

like do people really think you just click a button and a whole From quality world appears? all new enemies? new lore?

yeah so easy to do why didn't they MuSt Be LaZy

Last edited:
Yay/boo

I am okay with Bluepoint sticking to remastering a game rather than getting sidetracked with iterating by including their own content. It is equal parts tribute while treating the original as sacrosanct. But the final archstone had some cool shit in it and it will forever be lamented for not making the development cut.

FranXico

Yay/boo

I am okay with Bluepoint sticking to remastering a game rather than getting sidetracked with iterating by including their own content. It is equal parts tribute while treating the original as sacrosanct. But the final archstone had some cool shit in it and it will forever be lamented for not making the development cut.
Well, they did add a little something to Shadow of the Colossus, so who knows...

Alebrije

like do people really think you just click a button and a whole From quality world appears? all new enemies? new lore?

Played Mortal Shell and has good DS vibes , from a studio with a tiny budget it was a nice play. Yep its hard to achieve From's quality but there are some games that replicate thier "touch"

Also sin FROM said they are tired od Souls gsmes it good to see other developers keep the legacy.

Relativ9

Can anyone let me know why this is significant? I mean I played the original game, it's been a while, but why wouldn't it still be broken?

Alebrije

Can anyone let me know why this is significant? I mean I played the original game, it's been a while, but why wouldn't it still be broken?

It seems is the giants land and where you could link Demons with Darks Souls games, specifically with Dark Souls 1. You find Patches in the tombs of giants area.

Last edited:
Well, they did add a little something to Shadow of the Colossus, so who knows...
Not fundamental gameplay additions, i.e. substantive content. They didn't go to the point of designing and implementing their own bosses, areas, or revive concepts the original design team had but ended up cutting (the monkey, dragon, and another sandworm colossi, as examples).

I would expect easter eggs of some kind to make their way into DeS as they did SotC, but major tweaks? I'd be very wary if I were Bluepoint of doing that without the OG team's blessing/involvement. Who knows, maybe FromSoft and Miyazaki-san will push for it seeing how well Bluepoint has updated the game otherwise.

This is why fans wanted it in the game.

Vae_Victis

Banned
In the original intentions of the developers, there were supposed to be 6 playable worlds. The sixth one, the Land of Giants, was cut due to a lack of development time, and as a quick fix they made the sixth Archstone in the Nexus broken and added a couple of lines of text saying that the Lands of Giants has been destroyed and is already lost to demons.

From Software had already developed quite a lot of stuff for the sixth world though. Two areas had already begun implementation in the game, and there were several unique enemy models more or less fully animated. It's very likely they had a good chunk of it fully designed and planned on paper, and they simply didn't have time to build the maps, model and animate the bosses and do the bugfixing.

In an even more interesting twist of fate, a lot of the cut enemies were human-animal hybrids, that have the same general design and stile of a few of the very early cut enemies from Bloodborne. So it's likely that, as From Software often does, they recycled a bunch of the cut designs from the Land of the Giants into the initial vision they had for Bloodborne, which then in turns changed a lot more and it all went unused for a second time.

Unused%2BEnemy2-01.gif

Ar¢tos

Maybe there is a way to restore it. Since they had to remake the whole game it would make little sense to not remake that part, since it was there, but unfinished because of deadlines. We have the lore, maps and the enemies, they just needed to figure enemy/item placement and make bosses.
However, most reviewers probably won't figure it out, since the days of reviewers being gamers are long gone.

Orpheum

Now seriously...who actually thought they would magically provide a new area? without any experience in from softwares very specific and detailed level design and without miyazakis lore vision behind the areas....sure just slap in a new level for good measure

Now seriously...who actually thought they would magically provide a new area? without any experience in from softwares very specific and detailed level design and without miyazakis lore vision behind the areas....sure just slap in a new level for good measure
I mean, it's been posted multiple times right above and you still post this?

Very disappointing.

I know it would have been an incredibly tough challenge for them to make it up to the rest of the games standards, but it's not like they were starting from scratch, and it's the kind of lofty achievement that, should they have pulled it off, could have allowed them to pretty much make anything they wanted afterwards.

Inviusx

They are a remake studio, not a remake and add a whole bunch of new content studio. Would you want new enemies/bosses etc added that weren't part of the original creators vision?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Bluepoint aren't From Software, so I don't know why anyone would expect them to create a full new Souls level. It's just a remake.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I'm really not surprised.Unless From Software themselves were involved there was no way Blue Point would dare to add something so huge that had the possibility to also mess up the lore of the game.
It was a situation of damned if you do and damned if you don't so i think they chose wisely.

FranXico

I think it will be released (and developed consulting From Software themselves!) as DLC later on.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I don't want bluepoint to create an entire new level for Demon Souls. They just remake games, I doubt it would be any good.

FranXico

I don't want bluepoint to create an entire new level for Demon Souls. They just remake games, I doubt it would be any good.
It wouldn't be entirely new. The broken archstone was for a level that was partially designed (can still be found in the original PS3 disc assets), but scrapped to meet deadlines.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
It wouldn't be entirely new. The broken archstone was for a level that was partially designed (can still be found in the original PS3 disc assets), but scrapped to meet deadlines.

I know what it is.

They'be designing the level mostly on their own. Unless from software was involved I'm not interested. There's issues with the remake as it is.

Top Bottom