• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo could be cutting your Devil May Cry 5 frame-rate by 25%

Shin

Banned
In a post on the game’s Steam community page, one player discovered a branch likely used by the QA team to test the game, but had accidentally been left public.
Capcom has since deleted the branch, but players can still access the Denuvo-free file in the Steam console. From there, it can be downloaded, and then used to overwrite the pre-existing version of the file.

The author of the Steam post claims that the downloading the file has increased the game’s frame rate from 74 FPS to 93, an increase of 19, or around 25%.
They also state that the new file has kept their FPS more stable than before. Both Denuvo and several major publishers have previously claimed that the anti-piracy software does not impact game performance.

While Denuvo workarounds are often attached to videogame piracy, this time around that’s not particularly likely to be the case.
While Devil May Cry 5 does appear to have already been cracked, a pirated version would already be free of Denuvo’s protection. In order to take advantage of this particular trick, you would need to have actually purchased the game through Steam.

Credit: PCGames

mcz117chief

So, if it was already cracked, is the cracked version running better as well? It doesn't have to be just Denuvo.

Stuart360

I swear even if Denuvo themselves came out and said it does have an effect on performence, there would still be some people claiming it has no effect lol.

MadAnon

Where's actual proof? Like how hard it is to put the difference in a video like any other benchmark? When it comes to anti-Denuvo it's always all talk no proof.

Last edited:

Zambatoh

Where's actual proof? Like how hard it is to put the difference in a video like any other benchmark? When it comes to anti-Denuvo it's always all talk no proof.
Why don't you actually try reading the steam page linked in the OP?
Hell why not follow the guide yourself and try it? You'll get a more definitive answer that way.

Edit:Eurogamer also ran their own test on it.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-devil-may-cry-5-pc-denuvo-protection-tested

Last edited:

Diddy X

Will wait for confirmation, I hope they don't mess this one up, one of the only two games I have on my wishlist, the other is Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Maybe you should click in the link provided by PCGames? And MAYBE there is a screenshot of the exact same scene with and without Denuvo showing a 25% difference in term of performance, you know?
Oh, and it's not hard to make a video comparing this, but the game has just been out for less than a day. Give some time ffs.

But hey, if you can't click on a link here it is :
With Denuvo // Without Denuvo (just in case, FPS are in the top left corner if you can't find it)

MadAnon

Maybe you should click in the link provided by PCGames? And MAYBE there is a screenshot of the exact same scene with and without Denuvo showing a 25% difference in term of performance, you know?
Oh, and it's not hard to make a video comparing this, but the game has just been out for less than a day. Give some time ffs.

But hey, if you can't click on a link here it is :
With Denuvo // Without Denuvo (just in case, FPS are in the top left corner if you can't find it)
A freaking screenshot? LMAO How do you know he didn't change resolution or some settings?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
A freaking screenshot? LMAO How do you know he didn't change resolution or some settings?

S2ES.gif

MadAnon

Why don't you actually try reading the steam page linked in the OP?
Hell why not follow the guide yourself and try it? You'll get a more definitive answer that way.

Edit:Eurogamer also ran their own test on it.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-devil-may-cry-5-pc-denuvo-protection-tested
Because I don't care about DCM. Not my type of game. So, in this case, I want to see an actual benchmark instead of someone saying it and then showing it in screenshots. For all we know he could've run the game on different spec PCs to make those screenshots. People are so gullible, it's actually incredible.

Last edited:

Stuart360

2 different screenshots. In one GPU usage is 86%. The other (completely different) with better framerate it's basically maxed usage. Wonders why FPS is better. Peak dumbness of people.

rdlol.gif
There are multiple vids on that link to be afir, plus in the game forums there are other vids from people. Even Digital Foundry said there is a difference, although it wasn't a huge difference.
There have been other games that have had Denuvo removed then got better performence, 'Rime' was one of the bigger differences where some people were getting 30fps difference at times.
The thing is, even Denuvo said themselves years ago that there IS adifference, but its very slight. Now if the company itself is saying there is a difference, the company that is trying to sell its product, then there is a difference.

MadAnon

There are multiple vids on that link to be afir, plus in the game forums there are other vids from people. Even Digital Foundry said there is a difference, although it wasn't a huge difference.
There have been other games that have had Denuvo removed then got better performence, 'Rime' was one of the bigger differences where some people were getting 30fps difference at times.
The thing is, even Denuvo said themselves years ago that there IS adifference, but its very slight. Now if the company itself is saying there is a difference, the company that is trying to sell its product, then there is a difference.

Gameplay video with Denuvo and then different gameplay video without isn't a proof. Several benchmarks with and without is proof.

You just talk but don't link to anything. The burden of proof is on you, sir. Sound like a typical conspiracy theorist.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Why are there people defending invasive DRMs?

I mean, the only answer I can think of is they work for the denuvo company.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gameplay video with Denuvo and then different gameplay video without isn't a proof. Several benchmarks with and without is proof.

You just talk but don't link to anything. The burden of proof is on you, sir.
Oh jesus, forget it.
If pictorial, video, and verbal proof isnt enough for you, then how the hell are people supposed to prove it?>

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

You just talk but don't link to anything. The burden of proof is on you, sir.

But keep digging, it's funny to read

tenor.gif

MadAnon

Oh jesus, forget it.
If pictorial, video, and verbal proof isnt enough for you, then how the hell are people supposed to prove it?>
Like you test computer hardware!!?? Youtube is full with proper benchmarks of video cards but not single one of you can link me to a proper benchmark of games with denuvo or without?

Stuart360

Like you test computer hardware!!?? Youtube is full with proper benchmarks of video cards but not single one of you can link me to a proper benchmark of games with denuvo or without?
There are loads of benchmarks, but they are always 'fake' or never good enough for you guys.
Why defend such an anticonsumer thing anyway?, it always blows my mind.

mortal

Gold Member
Are developers and publishers aware of the ill will their games amass when they implement denuvo?

I can understanding their intentions in wanting to combat piracy, but why fuck over paying customers like this?

Stuart360

Are developers and publishers aware of the ill will their games amass when they implement denuvo?

I can understanding their intentions in wanting to combat piracy, but why fuck over paying customers like this?
It doesn't combat piracy though. Pirates just wait fro the games to be cracked, and if they are not cracked, they just dont get them or wait until they are $5 in the bargain bin.
The ONLY people that lose out with these shitty practices are the paying customers.

zeorhymer

The issue is that there is a frame rate difference and there are video proofs of it. You claim that there isn't. The burden of proof is on you that there isn't any difference. Don't dismiss the argument by shifting the burden of proof. This just shows that you don't have any intention of actually doing any research and just making noise.

MadAnon

The issue is that there is a frame rate difference and there are video proofs of it. You claim that there isn't. The burden of proof is on you that there isn't any difference. Don't dismiss the argument by shifting the burden of proof. This just shows that you don't have any intention of actually doing any research and just making noise.
Flat earthers say the same thing.

So wait...if Capcom accidentally leaked an unprotected .exe of the game into the wild, and it's readily available...why the hell is Denuvo still being used on this game?

Surely Capcom doesn't think that Denuvo is protecting the game any longer from piracy...right?

Diddy X

Maybe Denuvo members just get to convince companies with actual data showing how some games have effectively made bigger profits by adding Denuvo, what is more, I think vg companies don't pay a penny to Denuvo if they fail to reach certain profit level, how do you exactly reject such an offer.

Lately Denuvo has caught real bad reputation but maybe it keeps working for some games and is worth the risk, idk.

Last edited:
So wait...if Capcom accidentally leaked an unprotected .exe of the game into the wild, and it's readily available...why the hell is Denuvo still being used on this game?

Surely Capcom doesn't think that Denuvo is protecting the game any longer from piracy...right?
I feel that Denuvo encourages more piracy, especially when there is a performance penalty and the games will eventually be cracked anyways.

Boss Mog

I know I'm nitpicking OP, but I hate bad math, so the title is actually wrong, If dropping denuvo will boost your framerate by 25% then denuvo only lowers your framerate by about 20%.

PhoenixTank

2 different screenshots. In one GPU usage is 86%. The other (completely different) with better framerate it's basically maxed usage. Wonders why FPS is better. Peak dumbness of people.
You realise that if there is a CPU bottleneck when rendering, that is exactly the sort of result you would see, right? GPU usage not maxed out as the CPU can't keep up and the GPU has to wait.
i.e. if Denuvo is effectively wasting CPU cycles for verification, at full CPU load, you won't get as many frames as the GPU could if that wasn't a problem. Free up those CPU cycles and the GPU usage goes up, as well as frame rates.

As the Eurogamer article notes, there could be a difference between the builds other than Denuvo that is responsible for the change too. How much of a difference this build of the exe makes will vary between setups, and won't be a flat 20/25% across the board.

edit: a word.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Are there any other benchmarks of the unprotected exe? What DF found was modest (less than 10%) compared the the 25% claim in the title.

So, if it was already cracked, is the cracked version running better as well? It doesn't have to be just Denuvo.
Actually its not cracked but a exe file of DMC5 game without denuvo,I don't know how they find it, its the original exe file without any protection :))

This
Are there any other benchmarks of the unprotected exe? What DF found was modest (less than 10%) compared the the 25% claim in the title.
I ran both at 2560x1440 max settings with a 2600k and Vega 64 and it produced identical results. All things being honest I think the only people who are experiencing problems with this are those who fall well below the minimum CPU requirement, and in that case who cares. You shouldn't be running a game in which its requirements exceed your hardware and expect things to work properly.

I haven't seen any compelling evidence from people with systems within the scope of the requirements who have this problem.

Dontero

Banned
Actually its not cracked but a exe file of DMC5 game without denuvo,I don't know how they find it, its the original exe file without any protection :))

It was from actual game release on steam. They forgot to add denuvo they took it down and replaced it with denuvo version but at this point people already grabbed exe.

The better question is if Capcom will upload now non denuvo version. I mean game is already out there is the wild and denuvo currently does nothing.

Kenpachii

It's software that runs and checks, obviously it takes performance.

How dumb you gotta be to not understand this.

Top Bottom