• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collete

OK... Here goes. It's not a short story. Jesus, it's a really long story. There will be a tl;dr version at the end, so feel free to skip, I guess.

Ever since I've known someone could be depressed, I have been. I have absolutely no self-esteem. Can't think of the last time I was really positive about something. The first time I thought of suicide was eighth grade. Was on anti-depressants about 10 years ago. Hated hated hated them. Felt like a robot. I'm in my early thirties now. I had my depression mostly under control for a while- at least until about a year ago.

I've worked retail all my life. I generally like people, but I've found myself to have a bit too thin of a skin at times. Then again, who doesn't? I had been dating and living with a girl for 4 years, and things were getting out of control. I was paying for everything other than her half of her rent and her car insurance. All the utilities, groceries, even her cell phone. She has a full time, minimum wage job that, once the two things she pays for are taken out, she doesn't have much left. Luckily, I have a well-paying job, so I could afford it, even if it meant I wasn't saving any money. There was no physical side to the relationship. If I was lucky, we'd have sex once every two months... or unless she forgot to buy my Christmas presents (this actually happened, and I had given her the money to buy them). She was pressuring me to marry her. I always responded that A) I don't have money for a ring, and B) by all definitions, we were married already, and that I didn't see the point. As this was all quickly going sour, a co-worker somehow got ahold of my phone number, and we began texting back and forth, and occasionally hanging out with other people we worked with. Only downside? I was her boss... and that proved to be a slippery slope. Flash forward four months. GF and I decided to break up. We had been fighting a lot, and it just seemed like the right idea. We were both pretty OK with it. The lease was about to be up on our apartment, though, and we missed the part in the paperwork that said that we had to give 30 days notice that we weren't resigning. It makes sense, but now we're stuck with each other, in a one-bedroom, for another year. Surprisingly, we got along a lot better broken up. It was like the pressure was off. Unfortunately, things with the co-worker were picking up. She was the aggressor. She introduced me to her kids, who were awesome, and things were pretty decent. I didn't tell the ex what was going on, mostly out of my own concern for her feelings, so I lied. I never disputed that CW was out with me, but I always said others were too. CW birthday came, and I spent a bunch of $$$ on the day. Four days later, (and I assure you) completely out of the blue, she dumps me, via text. She starts getting hostile. Before you know it, I was getting kicked out of the location I worked at and transferred to another in a very bad area. I was lucky to still have my job and I accepted responsibility for the bad situation, but to call this store a problem store (and a severe punishment) would be an understatement. It was two weeks behind on freight, with a full warehouse and a full trailer that needed to be unloaded every week. The second day that I was there, I had to call the cops TWICE... first on an employee threatening the store manager, and then on the employee's FAMILY who came up and tried to assault said manager. The manager wasn't entirely innocent. He pushes buttons, and loves to try to play divide and conquer. So there I am, heartbroken and betrayed, and I'm basically walking into a war. Boss ends up completely worthless. Leaves every day that I work as soon as I come in, leaving me completely shortstaffed in an incredibly busy store. Nothing gets accomplished. Holidays come. He's still pulling his disappearing act (he didn't even come in the weekend before Christmas, and remember, this is retail) and I'm drowning. Drowning in anxiety, and Mr. Suicidal Thoughts was back, and bigger than ever. It doesn't matter though. I bust my ass, and work harder than I have at any job I've had in the last 16 years.

Right around this time, I had applied for a job, with a significant cut in pay, but out of the retail industry. This was my only bright spot of hope. I was so excited, I told one of my friends to apply. "How fun would it be for us to work together?" I asked. There was 15 openings. I figured I had a great shot. Long story short? Bombed the phone interview. Not only did my friend get the job and I didn't... but CW somehow got the job, too. Found out from my boss at my old location. And that was it. Didn't leave the house other than for work for three months. Drank a lot. Ate almost nothing. Meanwhile, I'm living with my ex, who I can't even tell the full story of what the problem is, because I'm an asshole and still didn't want to hurt her.

End of January, I get a text from a weird number. Come to find out, it's the ex (we'll say EX3) of my ex's ex (EX2). EX3 and I always got along when she and EX2 were dating, and would hang out with my ex and I. Not to mention, she was gorgeous. Like, distractingly gorgeous. She's a singer in a great band. Says I should go see them. She had found out that my ex and I had split up, and was telling me how much better I was than my ex, and how awesome she thought I was, and how she and I should hang out. Sounds great. She and I hang out three times, and she cancels on me six. We talk a lot, though. Things are decent. At the same time, my ex starts hanging out with one of her co-workers. Someone I've never heard her mention before. She starts using a lot of the same excuses I did when i was seeing my CW. I flip out... but I can't even say why. (I feel like this story needs a flowchart). Then, out of nowhere, my ex starts talking about how she might want to try to work things out. Stops hanging out with her coworker. And things with EX3 are getting... interesting. She's living with one of her exes, too, and he's moving out at the end of March. She told him she wouldn't date anyone until he was out of the house. So it's kind of a waiting game. I go to Vegas last week. My ex keeps texting me about how much she misses me and can wait for me to get home. EX3 starts getting distant, but keeps reminding me that we're supposed to hang out the day after I get back. I joke that she's gonna cancel on me. She doesn't like that. Fast forward to the day after I get back... and she's nowhere to be found. Won't answer the one time I call her and doesn't call back, won't respond to texts... which is weird, because we text back and forth like 100x a day. She's just gone. The next day, I get invited to a private party saturday night by mutual friends of mine and hers. I give a wishy-washy maybe, and BOOM! Out of the woodwork she comes. "YouhavetogobecauseI'monlygoingbecauseyou'regoing!" Again, I didn't say I was ever going to begin with. Her band has a show coming up, and she wants me to introduce them. I'm flattered, and accept. She also wants me to take 4/1 off, because she wants to spend the day with me. Get to the party Saturday night, and she's nowhere to be found. Shows up around midnight, completely shitfaced hammered. I flip out on her. She tries to explain. I tell her that I'm not someone she should feel like she needs to explain herself to. She says she wants me to be. I tell her she's better than the games she's playing. I tell her that I don't have time for games. I'm too old, and I've got too much stress. I'm basically yelling at her for an hour, but, at the same time, being incredibly positive in what I say. She's got a friend that, every time I see her, is with her. He's obviously in love with her. She tells me she's not interested in him. Well, anywho, he comes outside where we are, and just says "We're leaving." Off they go. She doesn't even say goodbye. Then I get a text from my ex saying that she's having someone watch the dog because she's hanging out with her co-worker. It's now four days later. EX3 won't respond to my texts. Well, that's not true. I texted her to tell her that I'm off 4/1. She said she was really happy to hear that. That's all I've gotten from her. She used to be all over my facebook, liking everything, and putting up funny videos. Nothing. My ex that I'm living with is getting weird again. I get back to work and find out that I'm my boss's next target. He spent the entire time that I was gone talking shit and saying how worthless I am. People tell me he's gonna try to at least get me transferred... which means I'm probably just gonna get fired. Second store in a year where they need to transfer me because someone doesn't want me there anymore? That'll go over great. EX3's band's show is Friday. I don't know if I should even bother going. I don't know what to do. I'm drowning again. I just need one fucking thing to go right. Just one little spark. And every time I have a chance at finding it, everything blows up in my face. I don't know how much longer I can do this.

I can't quit my job. I have no money saved, and I'm already supporting someone else. My fear is that I'll just freak one day and quit. Get kicked out of my apartment, ruin my ex, and end up being that guy in his thirties who lives with his dad. If I live that long. I sometimes wonder if I had more self-worth, could I actually follow through on killing myself?

TL;DR- Fuck it. I can't come up with one.

First off, thank you for opening up. It's usually not easy to dump what's been happening to them to random people on the internet (GAF of all places, but Depression GAF is safe, don't worry.).
Second, you're TL;DR did put a smile to my face, but I did actually read the whole thing, believe it or not. There doesn't need to be a structured story to unload what you've been going through. As long you are talking about what's going on, that's good enough.
Third, reading through everything, I'm guessing you're still living with your ex correct? How long do you have till you can move out? It's definitely not doing you any favors by staying there for a prolonged period of time.

I understand antidepressants made you feel robotic in the past, however, not all anti depressants are the same and can take awhile to place their effect on you. For instance, I was prescribed Celexa. I wasn't robotic like as you said, but I could never sleep without being drugged out, felt jittery, and out of place. Sounds nothing like being robotic, right? My point is, most antidepressants are targeted to a small fraction of the depression market. They're not exactly marketed to everyone, that's why there's a huge array of antidepressants that psychiatrists have at their disposal. I would say try going back to a psychiatrist if you can and giving it another shot. Or if you're not ready to do that, confide into a psychologist (remember they are two different things, learned that recently hah...)

You're not looking optimistic if you move back in with your parents but with everything you went through, is it not possible to crash at your parent's place till you get your depression and life some what back on track? I may not know your parents, but if they are decent people and realize what hell you're going through lately, they might help you out a bit.

I don't know what retail job you have, but is it not possible to go for a different chain or even a grocery store as a change of pace?

Still, we are here for you in Depression GAF. We're not rocket scientists (psst, Bagels is a genius, don't let his denial fool you) but we do what we can for people in need, much like I'm trying with you.

Also, you don't sound anything like an ass. You seem like a decent human being everyone can use around them.

Collete

Life happened. Got to get out of it

I want to, too. Hell I was planning to disappear this week and end everything here and now...I wasn't planning to tell anyone, not even say a last post of good bye.
But we can't get out. Not now. We're both meant for something better than ourselves.

"Don't forget. Always somewhere, someone is fighting for you."

I need you. Your friends need you, and we're all trying to help fight this together. You're not alone. Someone will always need you, yet you have no idea, to keep going.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I want to, too. Hell I was planning to disappear this week and end everything here and now...I wasn't planning to tell anyone, not even say a last post of good bye.
But we can't get out. Not now. We're both meant for something better than ourselves.

I need you. Your friends need you, and we're all trying to help fight this together. You're not alone. Someone will always need you, yet you have no idea, to keep going.

Really well said, Oomi!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to read this post from you, Oomi :') Well said indeed.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

I have no friends

BadTaste

I'm going out this weekend, will I be okay drinking alcohol while on Fluoxetine 40mg? This'll be the first alcoholic drink I've had in like 3 months.

mooooose

To the dude who posted the long story about his exs and job.

Just walk away from all these girls and move on and work things out with your job. You're taking all these girls too seriously and they've all fucked you over in some way or another. Move on.

Clockwork5

A couple of days more like this and... well, I'd still do nothing because I'm the biggest coward in the universe and would never gather the courage to off myself.

Don't discredit yourself. It takes A LOT of courage to get up every day and go to bed every night when one feels the way you do. I see suicide as the most cowardly act possible. My mother almost committed suicide about 5 years ago, I had to talk her down over the phone. There is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful beyond words that she had the courage to endure her circumstances, in spite of the fact that she wanted out.

More importantly, I know she is very proud of herself for the same reasons. Hang in there, there is a chance that things get better. And despite how you may feel now, you have more influence on that chance than anything else in this world.

Smiley90

I haven't so it's just a blatant lie

No. I'm not buying any more video games

So because you haven't seen it get better for yourself it's impossible for anyone else to get better, ever, even if other people say they've gotten better?

I wish you all the best.

Clockwork5

Things don't get better

They do. Are you trying to explain something to me with this comment? Or are you trying to influence the other depressed individuals on this board? Or are you trying to convince yourself of something? Regardless your comments are less than helpful, and don't really give anyone anything useful with which they can try to help.

Things do get better, but first you must give yourself a chance to recognize that. You just dont see that things do get better because of your warped perspective. (warped by depression, loss of self worth, low self esteem etc.)

neojubei

So because you haven't seen it get better for yourself it's impossible for anyone else to get better, ever, even if other people say they've gotten better?

I wish you all the best.

They do. Are you trying to explain something to me with this comment? Or are you trying to influence the other depressed individuals on this board? Or are you trying to convince yourself of something? Regardless your comments are less than helpful, and don't really give anyone anything useful with which they can try to help.

Things do get better, but first you must give yourself a chance to recognize that. You just dont see that things do get better because of your warped perspective. (warped by depression, loss of self worth, low self esteem etc.)

From my personal experience things don't get better.

I'm a loser born this way. What's the point if I'm always going to lose. Nothing gets better. Winners always win. Why am I hear so ill be a loser for people that do win. I might as well be dead. I think of those stories of parents killing their babies and wonder why that didn't happen to me. I would be better off.

Clockwork5

From my personal experience things don't get better.

I'm a loser born this way. What's the point if I'm always going to lose. Nothing gets better. Winners always win. Why am I hear so ill be a loser for people that do win. I might as well be dead. I think of those stories of parents killing their babies and wonder why that didn't happen to me. I would be better off.

Winners always TRY to put themselves in the position to win, which doesnt always work. Losers just dont have the confidence/motivation to do this, there is always an element of fear of failing. It is healthy to fear failure, but it is crippling to your personal development to allow this fear cause inaction and stagnation.

Try something new. The old ways are not working.

When my GF broke up with me after 3 years and I was at rock bottom, one day I just woke up and I told myself I would ask out the most attractive female I saw all day. I did it and I got rejected. But she was very nice and I walked away thinking, "yeah, I can do this" Confidence breeds confidence. Fake it till you make it. and all of those other cliche phrases that are timeless for a reason.

Anyway, It seems like you are so down on yourself at the moment that you are not approaching this thread with an open mind. I hope someday you will, it will be the first step to a better, happier, more fulfilling life.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm going out this weekend, will I be okay drinking alcohol while on Fluoxetine 40mg? This'll be the first alcoholic drink I've had in like 3 months.

It won't harm you like, say, alcohol and Tylenol. But the medications can change the effects of alcohol. You may get drunk more quickly, for example. So just take it slow, everything in moderation, etc etc.

BadTaste

It won't harm you like, say, alcohol and Tylenol. But the medications can change the effects of alcohol. You may get drunk more quickly, for example. So just take it slow, everything in moderation, etc etc.

Righto good sir.

One thing I'm not looking forward to this weekend is potentially seeing certain familiar faces in bars/clubs. Girls that friendzoned me for example.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've been doing therapy for a few weeks now and it's actually a nice change of pace. Of course I wish I could solve my issues faster than what's been suggested.

Since i've spent so many years (10 or so) being constantly negative towards myself, It's going to take years to essentially un fuck that if I even manage to actually get it done.

The most annoying thing is my depression is based off external interactions with others, That their feelings or what they are doing hit me like a truck at full speed. Like the girl at work who is probably having an affair with her ex and for whatever reason that makes me feel physically sick and mentally fucked up.

If only there was a way I could remove all the external thoughts and actually get back to focussing on making my life worth living. That's going to be this years goal I think, Unfortunately there's no quick fix which drives me bonkers and i'm a weak son of a bitch but I guess it's nice to have a goal.

Come on eternal sunshine of the spotless mind technology! That's the quick easy fix we all might need.

neojubei

Winners always TRY to put themselves in the position to win, which doesnt always work. Losers just dont have the confidence/motivation to do this, there is always an element of fear of failing. It is healthy to fear failure, but it is crippling to your personal development to allow this fear cause inaction and stagnation.

Try something new. The old ways are not working.

When my GF broke up with me after 3 years and I was at rock bottom, one day I just woke up and I told myself I would ask out the most attractive female I saw all day. I did it and I got rejected. But she was very nice and I walked away thinking, "yeah, I can do this" Confidence breeds confidence. Fake it till you make it. and all of those other cliche phrases that are timeless for a reason.

Anyway, It seems like you are so down on yourself at the moment that you are not approaching this thread with an open mind. I hope someday you will, it will be the first step to a better, happier, more fulfilling life.
There is nothing new to try

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, what a fantastic little post! You managed to put a smile on my face :)

Everyone here is better than that, please don't give up on life. Just keep fighting.

Do like Okami, the wolf of the Wii game of the same name, and be brave and strong and... whatever it is that Okami does (I never played that game, despite owning it)

(I actually read the whole thing)
Like Oomi said, staying at your parents' doesn't have to be embarrassing. You had it rough lately, but you're still here. You're still holding up, despite everything.

Sadly I don't have any tips for you, never having been in your situation. Nevertheless, I hope everything goes fine for you.

Don't discredit yourself. It takes A LOT of courage to get up every day and go to bed every night when one feels the way you do. I see suicide as the most cowardly act possible. My mother almost committed suicide about 5 years ago, I had to talk her down over the phone. There is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful beyond words that she had the courage to endure her circumstances, in spite of the fact that she wanted out.

More importantly, I know she is very proud of herself for the same reasons. Hang in there, there is a chance that things get better. And despite how you may feel now, you have more influence on that chance than anything else in this world.
Yes, you may be right. I don't really want to die, I only want to stop living this life. Suicide won't make me happy, nor less alone. I'll keep on, though I've lost all hope that things will get better.

And I'm so glad you were able to stop your mother from doing it. You're pretty awesome, you saved her life and made her feel better! I'm sorry for what you've gone through, but you managed to fix it like a pro.

Tenrius

There is nothing new to try

That what you always think when you're depressed, at least according to my experience. You don't necessarily need something new per se, rather an adrenaline influx of some kind. It's always very hard to put yourself to anything, because you irrationally think it's not going to work, but if you do, it's very likely to pay off.

Here is how it works for me. I'm skipping a university semester for medical reasons now (in case you wonder, I'm actually healthy again, it was a temporary thing). Being idle for a few months started getting on my nerves, I felt depressed for a while and it seemed it would last. But now I somehow got myself into a part time job as a reporter for two local newspapers at once and life's amazing again. Note: I never had anything whatsoever to do with journalism, I normally study physics & maths full time.

Well, not that I hope it will immediatelyly cheer you up, because I know how it is when you're depressed. But knowing this stuff helps me to snap out of it occasionaly. This time was nothing special, just a few weeks of feeling depressed, but I had a long stretch a few years ago and it ended in a similar way: the finals started and I was too busy getting through all the exams (which I was barely ready to due to depression hindering my studies) to even feel down. Before I knew it the depression was gone and after that I had one of the best summers I ever had!

I hope nobody finds the cheeriness of this rant too offensive lol. Maybe I'm just an adrenaline junkey and everything's different for you guys.

neojubei

Sitting here in the dark thinking of killing myself with my samurai sword. Not sure why I just don't do it. If I don't its going to be the same day after day. Go to a shitty job get yelled at by stupid people go home and have to deal with my mother and sister. Look in the mirror and see how horribly fat I am sleep and do it all again day after day. Thought about overdosing on the Prozac I saved up but I don't want to experience the side effects. All this talk about gay marriage has me pissed off. Never had a date or dated anyone in my life. Found out a guy I liked is dating someone now. I hate Facebook a lot. Of course the guy he is dating is tall slim good looking and well off with a great paying job. Yea I looked him up on Facebook. He is a winner. Great job great body great genes great eveything. Has a bunch of friends that post on his Facebook constantly. I'm the total opposite who wants to date a fat idiot like me. I'm a loser pure and simple. It would be nice to die here right now and forget everything and not to deal with anything.

Piano

Banned
That what you always think when you're depressed, at least according to my experience. You don't necessarily need something new per se, rather an adrenaline influx of some kind. It's always very hard to put yourself to anything, because you irrationally think it's not going to work, but if you do, it's very likely to pay off.

Here is how it works for me. I'm skipping a university semester for medical reasons now (in case you wonder, I'm actually healthy again, it was a temporary thing). Being idle for a few months started getting on my nerves, I felt depressed for a while and it seemed it would last. But now I somehow got myself into a part time job as a reporter for two local newspapers at once and life's amazing again. Note: I never had anything whatsoever to do with journalism, I normally study physics & maths full time.

Well, not that I hope it will immediatelyly cheer you up, because I know how it is when you're depressed. But knowing this stuff helps me to snap out of it occasionaly. This time was nothing special, just a few weeks of feeling depressed, but I had a long stretch a few years ago and it ended in a similar way: the finals started and I was too busy getting through all the exams (which I was barely ready to due to depression hindering my studies) to even feel down. Before I knew it the depression was gone and after that I had one of the best summers I ever had!

I hope nobody finds the cheeriness of this rant too offensive lol. Maybe I'm just an adrenaline junkey and everything's different for you guys.

While it's wonderful that you were able to kick your low emotions for many people it's not that simple. Forcing activity can often make things worse - it's better to find a therapist/psychiatrist who can help investigate.

For me, forcing myself out there only worked during spells of mild depression. When things got really rough it only made me feel worse. Took lots of work with my doctor to slowly climb out.

daripad

Sitting here in the dark thinking of killing myself with my samurai sword. Not sure why I just don't do it. If I don't its going to be the same day after day. Go to a shitty job get yelled at by stupid people go home and have to deal with my mother and sister. Look in the mirror and see how horribly fat I am sleep and do it all again day after day. Thought about overdosing on the Prozac I saved up but I don't want to experience the side effects. All this talk about gay marriage has me pissed off. Never had a date or dated anyone in my life. Found out a guy I liked is dating someone now. I hate Facebook a lot. Of course the guy he is dating is tall slim good looking and well off with a great paying job. Yea I looked him up on Facebook. He is a winner. Great job great body great genes great eveything. Has a bunch of friends that post on his Facebook constantly. I'm the total opposite who wants to date a fat idiot like me. I'm a loser pure and simple. It would be nice to die here right now and forget everything and not to deal with anything.
Don't do it. Reflect for a moment. You can change everything of what you said. I feel like you really need a partner, but are you sure you want that? You don't even love yourself. If you truly want to start dating the men you like, you have to show yourself your guts and start doing excersice, a lot, also change your eating habits, those two things will help you lose weight and you'll gain confidence. It seems like you act like a loser, stop giving that image. Start being optimistic and try smiling to everyone everyday, people will be less asshole with you, and if they are more asshole then just ignore them, you are not going to be affected by them. Do you remember your goal? You wanted to go to Asia to teach English. Learn the language of the country you want to go, put a lot of effort in those classes and start planning what you're going to after you finish that. If you go to where you want to go, you'll leave your hateful family and your hateful bosses. Do what you want to do and do what is necessary to do that. You are a strong person because you are still alive. Look, I always thought the same about it, but I started ignoring my father, his wife and my sister; I started to put more effort in my classes and this year I've been changing my eating habits and started doing some excersice. I started doing all of this since February and still have a long way to go, but I know that in the end I'll get my prize. It is just a matter of will. If you don't start doing it today, then your life will never change and you'll get stuck there while other people enjoy their lives. You can do it.

EdmondD

I'd be friends with anyone man, too bad I'm stuck in shithole noplaceizstan for now.
If you ever visit Vegas I will buy you a beer. If I ever visit noplacizstan the beer's on you.

This warms my cold, dead heart. Very inspirational.

Yes, you may be right. I don't really want to die, I only want to stop living this life. Suicide won't make me happy, nor less alone. I'll keep on, though I've lost all hope that things will get better.

And I'm so glad you were able to stop your mother from doing it. You're pretty awesome, you saved her life and made her feel better! I'm sorry for what you've gone through, but you managed to fix it like a pro.
RionaaM earlier in this thread you were cheering people on and offering to talk to people if they needed it. I thought that was really cool of you. What happened to that optimism? Try to stay positive brother. I know it's hard but if we stay positive if we remain hopeful than we can beat this. You offered to be there for other people it's only fair that we should be there for you.
It's never too late to change. I see you in the weight loss thread it's obvious you want to change and you can change. It takes time and effort but it's not impossible.

Start small change a little thing here and there. Change your attitude. Stop hating yourself. You're not a failure. None of us are. Yes, we have fallen. Yes, we have faltered. We're still here though and we have a chance to make things better.

Start eating better. Cut out the junk foods. Cut out soda. Go for a walk everyday. This is how I started my weight loss and it has been effective for me. You can do this.

I've never had a girlfriend, and I totally get where you're coming from. I just get tired of seeing couples everywhere.

Have you thought about joining the gym? I am about to do it - I've just got to figure out what sort of clothes I'll need to wear first.

You're pissed off; great. Let it drive you toward your goals.

And get out of that fucking job. It's clear that it's making you miserable and dragging you down.

neojubei

Don't do it. Reflect for a moment. You can change everything of what you said. I feel like you really need a partner, but are you sure you want that? You don't even love yourself. If you truly want to start dating the men you like, you have to show yourself your guts and start doing excersice, a lot, also change your eating habits, those two things will help you lose weight and you'll gain confidence. It seems like you act like a loser, stop giving that image. Start being optimistic and try smiling to everyone everyday, people will be less asshole with you, and if they are more asshole then just ignore them, you are not going to be affected by them. Do you remember your goal? You wanted to go to Asia to teach English. Learn the language of the country you want to go, put a lot of effort in those classes and start planning what you're going to after you finish that. If you go to where you want to go, you'll leave your hateful family and your hateful bosses. Do what you want to do and do what is necessary to do that. You are a strong person because you are still alive. Look, I always thought the same about it, but I started ignoring my father, his wife and my sister; I started to put more effort in my classes and this year I've been changing my eating habits and started doing some excersice. I started doing all of this since February and still have a long way to go, but I know that in the end I'll get my prize. It is just a matter of will. If you don't start doing it today, then your life will never change and you'll get stuck there while other people enjoy their lives. You can do it.

I've never had a girlfriend, and I totally get where you're coming from. I just get tired of seeing couples everywhere.

Have you thought about joining the gym? I am about to do it - I've just got to figure out what sort of clothes I'll need to wear first.

You're pissed off; great. Let it drive you toward your goals.

And get out of that fucking job. It's clear that it's making you miserable and dragging you down.

Whether I go to the gym or not i will still be a loser. I cannot pay my debts without a job.

neojubei

Run in a park then. There's lots of things you can do to lose weight and still be working

Losing weight isn't going to change anything. I'll still be the lonely pathetic loser i have always been. I'm short and ugly too losing weight won't change that. I regret not killing myself in high school. Had I known things do not and never get better I would have been better off dead.

daripad

Losing weight isn't going to change anything. I'll still be the lonely pathetic loser i have always been. I'm short and ugly too losing weight won't change that. I regret not killing myself in high school. Had I known things do not and never get better I would have been better off dead.
Your not ugly and being short is not a bad thing. Use your limitations as your shields

I have decided to move to Texas. I need to experience more of the world.

I don't know if this will help or hinder, but I hope it helps. Indiana to Texas is a big thing for me...

Anyone have any tips on moving far away from everyone you know? Haha...

Collete

I don't know if this will help or hinder, but I hope it helps. Indiana to Texas is a big thing for me...

I don't know but welcome to Texas! Just whatever you do, go to Austin. Don't come to Houston. You'll thank me later.

This warms my cold, dead heart. Very inspirational.

You're too kind...

Smiley90

I moved from Europe to Vancouver by myself 4 years ago, does that count as experience? ;) Even a different language.

TUROK

*long story about ex's*
Fuck, dude. That sounds rougher than rough. I can empathize with your feeling of drowning and wanting at least one thing to go right, one thing to look forward to.

I dunno, man. Just do it until you can't. Truck until one can truck no more.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
RionaaM earlier in this thread you were cheering people on and offering to talk to people if they needed it. I thought that was really cool of you. What happened to that optimism? Try to stay positive brother. I know it's hard but if we stay positive if we remain hopeful than we can beat this. You offered to be there for other people it's only fair that we should be there for you.
I don't know. Honestly, I have no idea why I'm feeling this bad all of a sudden.

I only know that I don't want any of you to feel bad, and I genuinely believe that your life can get better. I don't know if it will, but I'm sure it can. And I'm also sure that mine cannot. I'd like to help people if I can, but at the same time I feel I cannot be helped.

You could say I'm kind of a hypocrite: I tell everyone to be optimistic, while I'm a pessimist asshole myself :p

But you're right, we all gotta be strong. Fuck depression, fuck negative thoughts, fuck self-loathing!
(I'm tempted to say "fuck life" too, but just this once I'll try to be optimistic and not mention it)

If you don't mind me asking, why Texas?

Johnas

About your job, why do you stay at this job if it's so terrible?

Life is too short and too precious to be miserable the bulk of your waking hours. I can honestly say that even though it's fairly simple and not glamorous, I truly enjoy the work I do, even if it doesn't pay that much compared to other people.

I know that changing your job won't magically make all your problems disappear, but please give some serious thought into finding some other line of work.

If you can find some work that you enjoy, that you can look at when the day ends and say "hey, I accomplished this today", it is bound to have a positive effect on your mental well-being.

Have you ever considered any type of manual labor job? Getting outside, sunshine, fresh air, and the coincidental exercise would almost assuredly benefit you in multiple ways. Don't make the mistake many do of thinking that type of work is beneath them simply because it doesn't require a college degree.

As it is, at a call center, you're sitting all day, dealing with stressed out, rude people (who transfer that to you), under artificial fluorescent lighting. Not ideal for many people (myself included). Some people with certain personality types might flourish in that kind of environment, but for me it would be toxic.

I know you've wanted out of that call center job for some time. Give some serious thought to changing your employment. It might be the start of something great.

Tenrius

It seemed like a big deal at first, then I realized I could easily go back to spend a weekend, fairly often too. Moreover, the physical distance between you and the people you know is not that important nowadays, with all the ways of communication.

Iph

Banned

Save, look for jobs before you move. Some places will consider hiring with an over-the-phone interview, good experience and references. Try to take a trip there to really look over the places you want to consider moving into so you're not getting stuck somewhere that's cheap for unacceptable or hidden reasons. Try to have documents for medical, vehicle, insurance, etc. so you can get your essential IDs up and running quickly and smoothly. Save some moar.

Do you have your own vehicle? Are you driving there? Tune-up, oil change, new tires if needed. Moving is expensive so putting some money into a reliable vehicle is a huge asset, especially if you have even a short commute. It makes life much easier in general if you don't live close to everything you need.

Get a booklet and write down the names, addresses and phone/fax numbers of previous jobs and the references there. Personal references too. Months before you pack, start giving a hard, long look at how much you own and what you actually need. Afford yourself some luxuries, and some extra sets of "nicer" clothes for job interviews and fancy events. You never know what you might get invited to and regret getting rid of something. Sell valuables you don't want/need anymore online or places that deal in used goods. Try looking for volunteer groups in something you think you might enjoy doing to give yourself access to something social when you get there. Buy a map of the city and pin it up on your kitchen wall when you get there.

Jimothy

Welp, I am officially diagnosed as clinically depressed. Got a prescription for Celexa and Mirtazapine from a psychiatrist this morning. The doctor wanted to put me on the highest dose possible because my symptoms are so severe, but he's putting me on the lowest because I've never taken medication before. Hopefully the side effects aren't too severe going forward...does anyone have experience with these drugs that can offer some advice?

If you don't mind me asking, why Texas?
We have a close family friend there willing to let me move in with her.
It seemed like a big deal at first, then I realized I could easily go back to spend a weekend fairly often. Moreover, the physical distance between you and the people you know is not that important nowadays, with all the way of communication.
Very true. I think I'll invest in a nice webcam.
Save, look for jobs before you move. Some places will consider hiring with an over-the-phone interview, good experience and references. Try to take a trip there to really look over the places you want to consider moving into so you're not getting stuck somewhere that's cheap for unacceptable or hidden reasons. Try to have documents for medical, vehicle, insurance, etc. so you can get your essential IDs up and running quickly and smoothly. Save some moar.

Do you have your own vehicle? Are you driving there? Tune-up, oil change, new tires if needed. Moving is expensive so putting some money into a reliable vehicle is a huge asset, especially if you have even a short commute. It makes life much easier in general if you don't live close to everything you need.

Get a booklet and write down the names, addresses and phone/fax numbers of previous jobs and the references there. Personal references too. Months before you pack, start giving a hard, long look at how much you own and what you actually need. Afford yourself some luxuries, and some extra sets of "nicer" clothes for job interviews and fancy events. You never know what you might get invited too and regret getting rid of something. Sell valuables you don't want/need anymore online or places that deal in used goods. Try look for volunteer groups in something you think you might enjoy doing to give yourself access to something social when you get there. Buy a map of the city and pin it up on your kitchen wall when you get there.
Holy shit! This is what I needed! Thank you!

Collete

Thanks! But what's wrong with Houston?

They say it's good for jobs and what not but like...
There's really not much to do here. There's clubs and shit, there's a nice museum and restaurants but there's really not much to do. I dunno, I think there's always some great convention, event, concert, in Austin. Not to mention you're constantly surrounded by nature as well so you can hike and see a lot of wonderful natural structures. It's a really pretty tight city. An outdoorsy place. Love it.

Edit: Also Houstonians aren't exactly the nicest of people....

Smiley90

Get a booklet and write down the names, addresses and phone/fax numbers of previous jobs and the references there. Personal references too. Months before you pack, start giving a hard, long look at how much you own and what you actually need. Afford yourself some luxuries, and some extra sets of "nicer" clothes for job interviews and fancy events. You never know what you might get invited to and regret getting rid of something. Sell valuables you don't want/need anymore online or places that deal in used goods. Try looking for volunteer groups in something you think you might enjoy doing to give yourself access to something social when you get there. Buy a map of the city and pin it up on your kitchen wall when you get there.

Thanks! But what's wrong with Houston?

Really? Wow! How did you deal with that?

see above! I was lucky that when I moved here, I already had stuff set up (language school, internship), so I was busy right away. That's probably the best thing, try to be busy right off the bat, so you don't fall into the "ohgod I'm alone in a new city" vibe. If you go volunteering, work out, find a job, go exploring right away it'll be a much smoother transition. Talk to locals at bars/restaurants/on the street, ask them for help (people LOVE helping others, especially new people/tourists, and it's much less awkward than "random" chatter). Just ask someone where you might find a new restaurant, or a hip thing to do, because you're new in town. I can talk more about it if you want via PM/Steam or so, don't wanna clog up the thread with my experieences ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom