• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Has Hit Its Lowest Player Count In Franchise History

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBlueStonex

"Steam Database statistics have revealed that Destiny 2 has had its lowest player count in franchise history, hitting a 24 hour peak of 38,059 players. After a series of layoffs, problems at Bungie continue with the game losing a large number of users and not met its goals."

Time for Destiny 3?

Michelle Obama Oprah GIF by Obama

As having a passive interest at best, honestly, at minimum with the franchise; Either release Destiny 3 or move onto a new i.p. For me, Bungie hasn't really done anything that's wowed me in a very long time. I thought they've always had great art design and gunplay, but Destiny fell flat for me otherwise, 2 didn't improve much to keep me interested. It's been a very long time since Destiny 2's release and I don't know a single person that plays it or even bought DLC. But, I also think I may have aged out of the intended audience too so I dunno.

Spyxos

Gold Member

"Steam Database statistics have revealed that Destiny 2 has had its lowest player count in franchise history, hitting a 24 hour peak of 38,059 players. After a series of layoffs, problems at Bungie continue with the game losing a large number of users and not met its goals."

Time for Destiny 3?
That is still a lot of players.

NEbeast

Meh its the end of the current season, it'll shoot back up in a couple of weeks anyway
Yeah , this happens every season and this time every year . The current season was pretty good. Its just that time of the year/season where people are getting burnt out. Next season will no doubt have the lowest ever if it ends up being 7 month long.

Mithos

Very unfriendly game for new players. Makes it hard to grow, I imagine their core user base have been playing for years.
Yeah a friend who wanted something to play, joined me in D2 and said a week or two down the line that without my guidance, he'd stop playing in a few days because he didn't know what to focus on or what to do by himself.

There is to much for a new played to wrap their heads around.

PanzerCute

Funny to see that after these big acquisitions things dont look that good anymore.

Destiny 2 in trouble, Bethesda releasing their worst game, Arkane releasing their first bad game ever, Mikami leaving Tango, Diablo 4 being hated and abandoned by even the most hardcore fans, COD being hammered by press and players etc..

Good times! Keep it up please.

Sybrix

I mean... how old is this game?

It's not an MMO.

Surprised it has this many people playing it still.

Kerotan

Yeah , this happens every season and this time every year . The current season was pretty good. Its just that time of the year/season where people are getting burnt out. Next season will no doubt have the lowest ever if it ends up being 7 month long.
The new season is only 7 days away I believe.

Wish I hadn't of bought the last two DLC, barely played them and very few friends/clan people in my circles left playing anymore too.

Lightfall really didn't gel with me.

yurinka

It was released 4 years ago on Steam, when the game was already over 2 years old. So it's normal that an over 6 years old game would have its lower active userbase at this point, and will continue doing so, because it's time to enter its sunseting stage. Pretty likely The Final Shape will be the last major expansion, leaving it as end game for the remaining players.

We also have to remember these concurrent users are only for Steam. Pretty likely -as it's the case in many AAA games- it has more users on console, mainly PS.

Destiny 2 in trouble,
It isn't in trouble, it's just an old game that was released over half a dozen years ago, so obviously the playerbase drops and will end dying like in all games. But it will continue getting major support next year, over 7 years after launch, which is way more than the average.

It will be replaced by others like Marathon and more games, like I assume Matter and Destiny 3. They are also working on cinema adaptations of Bungie IPs.

Marathon announcement teaser got a record 20M aprox. views in YouTube super quickly, there's a lot of people waiting to see what they release next.

Last edited:

Seraphym

Is there a clear way to look at player data by format? I dropped back into it with friends when Game Pass had the last expansion for free and we probably paid for a fair few seasons.
We dropped off because of the grind and didn't want to pay for the next expansion.
I wonder if the "purchase" by Sony affected Xbox numbers?

If there was less locking away of content then I have no doubt we would still be playing it monthly.

Plus surely D3 must be on the horizon?

SkylineRKR

This is everything wrong with gaming. NMS, Cyberpunk and FFXIV released in a very sorry, unacceptable state once and after a year or more they were updated to acceptable levels (with FFXIV being a completely different release). Destiny 2 being there is filler or a joke to begin with.

This should be a lock for Larian.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
They need to move on, should have went to a part 3 before they content vaulted 2/3s of the game. Game is unplayable for new people, hard to come back to if you lapse for a while.

Love it core game play but needs a fresh start.

LordCBH

Good. All Bungie has done this year is take a shit on the game and the player base. WQ year was fantastic (mostly. We ignore Plunder because it was the worst piece of D2 content ever released), but this year has been straight ass.

Mr Moose

I stopped giving a shit when they started removing DLC I'd paid for.
I support this, New Bungie is cringe as it gets & I can't see how people are sitting there and still listening to this light and darkness crap. They even brought up the light and darkness during the post about people being fired haha.
*Looks at name*
d9dd28r-ac6de58d-e308-43ec-ad8b-d5de243e64af.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's funny how gaming media tries to simultaneously bury Destiny 2 and praise Halo Infinite every chance they get when Destiny 2 is (still) significantly more popular.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never got the appeal of Destiny. Friends convinced me to play it a couple of year ago. Shoot this, go there, do this event, get back to this place. Pointless and boring. Gunplay was good though.
Same here.

Tried D2 for free and it looks and played smooth. Found it boring. Sprint around from cave or building killing waves of enemies and open up a lot box. Unless I missed it, I dont think there was really anything else to do. Its basically Diablo, but I find Diablo better as it' fantasy realm and you can mash buttons swatting tons of enemies at once.

Even worse one time played the game and there's some random MP dude jumping around doing his own thing. It looked he was just practising jetpack jumping off ledges. We both totally ignored each other and I forged ahead in caves.

Mithos

Even worse one time played the game and there's some random MP dude jumping around doing his own thing. It looked he was just practising jetpack jumping off ledges. We both totally ignored each other and I forged ahead in caves.
Assuming you're in the "open world" that's what you would find, people are doing their own quest and bounties in the same world as you.
If you were in a "matchmaking" instance, then it's much rarer that someone goes of on their own, unless they have gotten a specific task to complete within that "instance".

FriulHado

This is everything wrong with gaming. NMS, Cyberpunk and FFXIV released in a very sorry, unacceptable state once and after a year or more they were updated to acceptable levels (with FFXIV being a completely different release). Destiny 2 being there is filler or a joke to begin with.

This should be a lock for Larian.
Yep. And Sea of Thieves with 2 big FREE expansions like Monkey Island and Pirates of the Caribbean not even a nomination.
TGA are a big joke.

Dynasty8

I judge anyone that plays it.

You don't know much about the game then. There's a reason why it's been super popular for almost 10 years now. Not a single game like Destiny exists on the market today. It is really fun when Bungie gets creative and no other developer has been able to replicate the same type of quality when it comes to raids, dungeons, gunplay, etc. I wish they did so we can have more competition in the field, but judging people for playing and enjoying any game is just a shitty thing to do.

Shubh_C63

As an avid Destiny player, totally justified.

Been playing since 2 years and this was the first time I am not even excited for the new season.

gothmog

Gold Member
Between Lightfall being a dud expansion and the delay on Final Shape it's not surprising. I stopped playing for now. Bungie tends to hit it out of the park when they know they need to do better, so I'm not that worried right now.

You don't know much about the game then. There's a reason why it's been super popular for almost 10 years now. Not a single game like Destiny exists on the market today. It is really fun when Bungie gets creative and no other developer has been able to replicate the same type of quality when it comes to raids, dungeons, gunplay, etc. I wish they did so we can have more competition in the field, but judging people for playing and enjoying any game is just a shitty thing to do.
I judge you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom