• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC performance thread

5960X @ 4.0, GTX 1080Ti Strix running mostly maxed at 1440p with 150% resolution scaling which if my math isn't off is 4K, right? I have AA down, the "distance" settings at high and motion blur off. I'm running at 60fps locked with these settings. That's pretty damn good for that resolution.

Yeah, It doesn't even matter what settings I have. I just tried low, medium and high and they all still crashed at random places.

This is insane.

I'm going to try deleting and downloading on another SSD drive and see if that fixes it. I don't know what else to do.

How do I do that?

I found the place in the blizzard launcher to do that but I'm not quite understanding all I need to do.

One says change "default install directory",

But there is another option that says "Folder used for gameplay", and that one is still on my first SSD.

Do I only need to change the first option? If not then what do I set the second one to?

This is so much simpler in steam so far.

Anyone getting random lockups while playing? Game is seemingly running smooth and it will just freeze my whole PC for like 5 seconds at random intervals. Not even just the game either, as Discord freezes too.

Yes, once I even had to manually turn off my PC which I haven't had to do in a very long time.

Color me impressed. I was using a nearly 4 month old driver (version 382.05), and I still got great performance.

Specs
i5-6600K (stock)
MSI GTX 1070 (stock)
16 GB RAM @ 2400 MHz
Game installed to an SSD

I ran the game at all settings turned up to their highest, EXCEPT for AA, which I left off. Instead, I ran with a 120% resolution scale. Since my native resolution is 1920x1200, the game was essentially rendering at 2304x1440, which is 90% of the pixels from a standard 1440p image.

Game ran between 60 and 80 fps for the most part (first mission). During larger battles, it could dip as low as 50 (mostly dipped to the mid to high 50s). That being said, I was playing with vsync off, and unlike other games, I didn't notice the screen tearing that much (it could have to do with the first mission taking place in dark environments).

I'm curious to see how the game will run once I've installed the proper drivers.

Dalto11

i7-6700K, RX470 4GB, 32GB RAM and locked at a solid 60 fps at Highest settings with SMAA at 1080p, but that's last with discord going on a 900p monitor and chrome with a few tabs pulled up on another 900p monitor. Overall very impressed with the performance.

Durante

Can you explain what happens if they don't? I have dpi scaling on my windows desktop and sometimes downscale.

I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
If a game doesn't embed a proper DPI awareness manifest, any of the following can happen:
- if it has a windowed or borderless fullscreen mode, then the window might be too large for the resolution selected (which includes "larger than the screen" for borderless FS)
- for real fullscreen, it might not offer the full screen (see what I did there :p) resolution to select

Both can be fixed by the player manually selecting DPI scaling off in the .exe properties. But it can be fixed by the dev simply by embedding a maifest (5 mins of work if you know what you're doing).

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yeah, It doesn't even matter what settings I have. I just tried low, medium and high and they all still crashed at random places.

This is insane.

I'm going to try deleting and downloading on another SSD drive and see if that fixes it. I don't know what else to do.

How do I do that?

I found the place in the blizzard launcher to do that but I'm not quite understanding all I need to do.

One says change "default install directory",

But there is another option that says "Folder used for gameplay", and that one is still on my first SSD.

Do I only need to change the first option? If not then what do I set the second one to?

This is so much simpler in steam so far.

Yes, once I even had to manually turn off my PC which I haven't had to do in a very long time.

Can you throw up your full specs on CPU, GPU and RAM along with what display you are trying to run it at. And if you can a screenshot of your current settings, and anything else like Razer Synapse or other third-party hardware software.

Can you throw up your full specs on CPU, GPU and RAM along with what display you are trying to run it at. And if you can a screenshot of your current settings, and anything else like Razer Synapse or other third-party hardware software.

Absolutely, give me a minute.

Any official benchmarks yet?

I tried 1440 but it dropped my framerate pretty hard. I might try it again and back my settings down to high or medium and see how that looks.

Even 1080p on my 4k tv looks pretty damn slick though, I can't complain at all.

Dropped to what, below 60fps?

Hmm.. I guess I'll settle with 1080p then.

gblues

Banned
If you get lengthy pauses during the story with a "LOADING" spinner, it's caused by a known issue related to having multiple network adapters.

Note that this also applies to virtual adapter; in my case, it was the "VirtualBox Host-Only Network" adapter.

To turn off extra adapters (W10):

1. right-click the Start button and click Network Connections
2. Click on "Change Adapter Options"
3. Right-click on each adapter and choose "Disable" except your actual LAN adapter that connects you to the Internet

spad3

Here you go everybody:

CAUTION MASSIVE IMAGES

Destiny 2 screenshots on Ultra Spec @ 5760 x 1080

EDIT: I tried to stream this but for some reason ShadowPlay wasn't working, and OBS kept kicking me out. Weird. Will try again tomorrow.

EDIT2: Posting Specs Again:

Intel i5 4960k
16GB DDR3
GTX 1080 FE 8GB
5670 x 1080 across 3 screens

SETTINGS:
bQr6Y3i.png

CLASS:
Z9SWE04.png

EXOTIC
zlRE5qd.png

DARK HALLWAY
asb5MxG.jpg

LIT ROOM
v1XUSkw.jpg

Here you go Mr. Batman.

gy96PiW.png

I am trying to run it at native 3440x1440.

I can't get a cap of the in game settings yet because the game is re-downloading but it didn't seem to matter what the settings where, low medium or high, it would still crash. I will get a shot anyway right before it crashes to show the OSD so you can see if anything fishy is going on there. It'll just be about half an hour at this rate till it finishes.

EDIT: Anything else you need in the meantime?

Both can be fixed by the player manually selecting DPI scaling off in the .exe properties. But it can be fixed by the dev simply by embedding a maifest (5 mins of work if you know what you're doing).
I can't seem to get this to work, the the setting keeps re-enabling itself as soon as I launch Destiny. I'll manually uncheck the box, boot up Destiny, Alt-Tab, and the box is checked again. What gives?

Head.spawn

I can't get Borderless Full-Screen to cooperate. It keeps opening about a centimeter from the top of the screen, the same spot it'd be if I was using bordered fullscreen.

wut do?

TitusTroy

I have a GTX 1070, what Nvidia driver is best for this-- the recently released 385.41 or the previous 385.28?...I'm hearing conflicting reports on which is best...what say GAF?

jaosobno

I have to say, Bungie did a great job on PC version. I have entry level gaming laptop (Lenovo Legion Y520) with following specs:

Core i5 7300HQ
8 GB RAM
nVidia GTX 1050 (non-Ti) 4 GB
128 GB M2 SSD + 1 TB "regular" HDD

Per default, game sets resolution to 1080p and settings are high-medium mix.

I've played "Homecoming" mission (which is the most demanding this I've seen in this beta), with bunch of enemies, particle effects, etc. and a round of multiplayer. Still have to try the Strike today.

For the most part, the game holds solid 60 FPS (with V-Sync + Triple Buffering enabled in drivers). The only part that shows visible dip (to occasional 30-40 FPS) is where you
have to survive 3 enemy waves with Zavala
(spoilers are very minor, but I still used the tag).

In order to make sure I can hold solid 60 FPS all the time, I made the following changes:

- set resolution to 900p
- bumped AA from FXAA to SMAA
- set AF from 2x to 8x

Game still looks and runs great and lowering resolution eliminates the dip. I believe that multiplayer can run at 1080p at locked 60 FPS since I have a feeling that "Homecoming" mission meant as a sort of tech demo and multiplayer seems much less demanding.

Pjsprojects

Anyone with a AMD system?
FX8350 / R9 card?

Im on holiday and don't get back until Friday dinner, so wont get chance to test the beta :-(

Something is majorly wrong with destiny for me.

I just tried to take some screenshots of my settings and OSD and all it captured was less than 50 pixels,

IGslI2C.png

I took several shots over the coarse of 3 crashes and this is all I got.

Are they actually helping people on the official forums? This is really bumming me out.

GTX 1080 (no OC)
i7 6700K@4.2 GHz (IIRC, I haven't touched the OC since I installed it)
16GB DDR4 RAM
ASUS ROG PG248Q G-Sync @144 Hz
All settings at highest available (either High or Highest), except for antialising (SMAA).
1080p, 100% scaling, dedicated fullscreen.

~120 FPS min, 144 FPS max during both the story mission and strike.

Sooooooo good.

Running this spec laptop but with 8GB RAM (grabbed off eBay cheaply)

U60L2TX.jpg

Need to decide on either 4K with the PS4 Pro, or frame rates at 1080 on the PC. I assume I should get similar rates to you.

Oh wait, misread your card as a 1060, i'll be nowhere near you lol

accx

Tecnniqe

Banned

I just tried to take some screenshots of my settings and OSD and all it captured was less than 50 pixels,

IGslI2C.png

Are they actually helping people on the official forums? This is really bumming me out.
Help forums, reddit or their twitter. They have been responding to people there. I know big streamer like Lirik had the game crash constantly too and couldn't play.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Remove rivatuner completely if you haven't already. You can't run Rivatuner at the same time as D2. Something something anticheat overlay something (there were threads about it months ago)
RTSS and Afterburner worked all of first day for me, even with RTSS FPS limiter

accx

RTSS and Afterburner worked all of first day for me, even with RTSS FPS limiter

Huh, the only thing that stopped it from crashing was disabling RTSS for me. The OSD FPS overlay worked just fine but it would kick me out after the intro. I figured that since they had stated that some overlays weren't supported i might as well turn it off.

Huh, the only thing that stopped it from crashing was disabling RTSS for me. The OSD FPS overlay worked just fine but it would kick me out after the intro. I figured that since they had stated that some overlays weren't supported i might as well turn it off.

I had it disabled before and it was still crashing.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I mean, just amazing, spectacular performance on my old machine here:
Gotta wave my pc wee wee around to measure up :p

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR Desktop Gaming PC (Intel i7-7700 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB 7200RPM HDD, Win 10 Home,
Black Razor Deathadder Chroma mouse
Razor Blackwidow Ultimate mechanical keyboard

Running everything maxed out at 4k, framerates are super high and everything is buttery smooth, even with tons of action, npcs, explosions, etc.

I have 2 copies of the digital deluxe edition for our PS4 Pros here but may end up buying the "ultimate" version of Destiny 2 on PC to play as well. It's that damn good.

This game will be huge on PC.

Help forums, reddit or their twitter. They have been responding to people there. I know big streamer like Lirik had the game crash constantly too and couldn't play.

Sadly I don't have time for this tonight. Got to get up early and look at more houses.

I've found a post on the front page of the help forums near the top that has a bunch of people with the same exact issue. I made a post there. Hopefully this will be cleared up by tomorrow... Who am I kidding. My luck is never that good.

spad3

IGslI2C.png

if you're on an NVidia Card, Alt+F1 to take a screenshot assuming you have the ShadowPlay overlay enabled. you can check that with Alt+R

Tecnniqe

Banned
Some UI elements have small issues, other than that, no problem.
UW looks baby sweet on my end, I'm curious is there a comparison between 16:9 and 21:9? Is this proper 21:9 or shady "cut the top and bottom and stretch it" like lazy devs usually do?

l a z y d e v s

MaxiLive

I have a Gsync monitor do I disable the in-game v-sync? if enabled it gives me different fps limits.

It think you should as it more than likely lowers the input lag (not sure how much Destiny Vsync adds) and you shouldn't see any tearing. You may want to limit the frame rate to 2hz lower than your monitors max refresh for maximum consistency.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I have a Gsync monitor do I disable the in-game v-sync? if enabled it gives me different fps limits.
Use G-Sync + V-Sync On (Turn on in the control panel and disable it ingame) and something like RTSS to limit the framerate to your G-Sync refresh rate so V-Sync doesn't actually turn on and cause input lag.

Limits:
165Hz: 162fps
144Hz: 142fps
100Hz: 98fps

Use G-Sync + V-Sync On (Turn on in the control panel and disable it ingame) and something like RTSS to limit the framerate to your G-Sync refresh rate so V-Sync doesn't actually turn on and cause input lag.

Limits:

if theres a way to do i tin game, use that instead. rtss causes almost as much lag as vsync

Ertai

i5-750 @stock (used to OC it but it became too unstable)
GTX 970
8GB 1333mhz RAM

With most settings set to max (using FXAA) at 1080p i get 55-60 FPS during the campaign mission and 40-60 during the strike. The opening of the strike with the big plains is a massive performance hit and i'm guessing my CPU really shows its age there as tweaking the general graphical settings doesnt seem to do much. Time to upgrade.

samar11

It think you should as it more than likely lowers the input lag (not sure how much Destiny Vsync adds) and you shouldn't see any tearing. You may want to limit the frame rate to 2hz lower than your monitors max refresh for maximum consistency.

Limits:

Ingame when V-Sync enable gives me 144,72, etc. My monitor is 144hz ..I cant select 2hz lower? lol

MaLDo

If you get lengthy pauses during the story with a "LOADING" spinner, it's caused by a known issue related to having multiple network adapters.

Note that this also applies to virtual adapter; in my case, it was the "VirtualBox Host-Only Network" adapter.

To turn off extra adapters (W10):

1. right-click the Start button and click Network Connections
2. Click on "Change Adapter Options"
3. Right-click on each adapter and choose "Disable" except your actual LAN adapter that connects you to the Internet

After disabling additional adapters, the loading pause is shorter, or is non-existant?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sadly I don't have time for this tonight. Got to get up early and look at more houses.

I've found a post on the front page of the help forums near the top that has a bunch of people with the same exact issue. I made a post there. Hopefully this will be cleared up by tomorrow... Who am I kidding. My luck is never that good.
It's not installed to a folder with Greek, Cyrillic, Kanji, etc letters right?
if theres a way to do i tin game, use that instead. rtss causes almost as much lag as vsync

Ingame when V-Sync enable gives me 144,72, etc. My monitor is 144hz ..I cant select 2hz lower? lol
Don't think you can specify it ingame. RTSS works fine for me as long as I don't enable the overlay.

Top Bottom