• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

All are updated but I think only Crota will be up on the 28th, and then VOG, KF and WOTM after and then they will all be available after they have been the weekly

Just curious, have they ever said why they chose to do Crota's End first considering Vault of Glass came before it. It seems like a really weird thing to do.

I still can't believe that a game of this magnitude is releasing in just 5.5 months from now from one of the industries' most lauded development studios and a mega-publisher yet we still haven't gotten an official announcement/unveiling nor a single piece of official media (screenshot, teaser video or otherwise). It has to be unprecedented.

I still can't believe that a game of this magnitude is releasing in just 5.5 months from now from one of the industries' most lauded development studios and a mega-publisher yet we still haven't gotten an official announcement/unveiling nor a single piece of official media (screenshot, teaser video or otherwise). It has to be unprecedented.

Fallout 4?

Bungie wants people to spend money in the EV and still play D1 too.

Better thsn announcing and hyping years before release imo

You could argue that Destiny is the advertisement for Destiny 2.

FyreWulff

From their viewpoint they don't want to show too early and end up showing something that has to be cut, etc.

Reach's actual trailer was only a month before the game came out. Before that was the beta trailer and the teaser that showed nothing.

Dthomp

Just curious, have they ever said why they chose to do Crota's End first considering Vault of Glass came before it. It seems like a really weird thing to do.

They had said in a stream that it was the raid that had the most updates and changes so they wanted to start with that one.

From their viewpoint they don't want to show too early and end up showing something that has to be cut, etc.

Reach's actual trailer was only a month before the game came out. Before that was the beta trailer and the teaser that showed nothing.

Reach had a teaser trailer shown in I believe December at a VG awards show of some sort.

Oh you edited but anyways...

The bolded is the point, I don't care what they showed but rather that they, well, showed and announced what was coming far in advance.

As far as announcing something and then needing to cut content, well, at this point you would have to think Bungie has become smarter about this kind of stuff and would be more vague without going into a lot of depth about mechanics/content, etc in an announcement.

The proof is there that they have become smarter regarding content/promises or whatever but it seems to be taken to an extreme as again, I'm literally shocked a game of this magnitude is releasing in 5.5 months from now without an as of yet official announcement/unveiling.

Nintendo Switch

Exactly. Studios are learning not to announce things way too far in advance. It kind of adds to the hype when making an announcement and then having a very short release after.

I wasn't expecting a year out from release announcement or anything as they still had Rise of Iron to market, but that said, a game of this magnitude from a developer like Bungie and a mega-publisher like Activision I would expect a larger than as of now 5.5 month marketing build-up towards release.

I mean we knew a follow-up was coming in some capacity just as we knew Halo 3 or Uncharted 3 was coming but just because a popular franchise is expecting a sequel/follow-up/expansion doesn't make the shortness of the marketing build-up especially from this publisher in particular less surprising.

Nintendo Switch

Ehh, Zelda: BotW was announced a long time ago and had already been shown multiple times over a few years.

I wasn't expecting a year out from release announcement or anything as they still had Rise of Iron to market, but that said, a game of this magnitude from a developer like Bungie and a mega-publisher like Activision I would expect a larger than as of now 5.5 month marketing build-up towards release.

Ehh, Zelda: BotW was announced a long time ago and had already been shown multiple times over a few years.
Didn't say Zelda. Said Switch. And it was a console launch, not just a game.

Didn't say Zelda. Said Switch. And it was a console launch, not just a game.

I'm not talking about game consoles but rather existing popular/quality game franchises and their sequels/follow-ups.

Edit: If I was referring to game consoles I would have mentioned the Sega Saturn which I walked into Babbages (before Gamestop) and purchased it in May of 1995 in a surprise early launch which was ultimately an unwise move.

My only fear is that this game will jump the shark the same way MW2 did after the success of COD4.

I'm not afraid of that. I mean, Destiny vanilla was pretty poorly received, and objectively a worse game than what Destiny has evolved into. So it's hard for me to make any kind of correlation between CoD4 and D1. And to be completely honest, I don't think D2 could launch much worse off than D1 did.

Kalamari

Welcome to Destiny.

That is worrying. What's the last game that was critically received which did that?

Like...maybe this time around, their strategy is 'Show less so what's in the game seems like more'? Or maybe so that if something is different in the release version, then people can't pull old trailers and be like 'This was already in but taken out for DLC' like they did with Destiny 1?

FyreWulff

A blitz marketing push sounds like it'd work.

June: E3/the Beta.
July: Bungie Day / month-long daybreak strike thing. Probably some things/rewards to earn for D2.
August: D1's grand finale, leading right into
September: Destiny 2's release

A blitz marketing push sounds like it'd work.

June: E3/the Beta.
July: Bungie Day / month-long daybreak strike thing. Probably some things/rewards to earn for D2.
August: D1's grand finale, leading right into
September: Destiny 2's release

That could work.

...I await people datamining and glitching the beta though. See what's really in there.

That is worrying. What's the last game that was critically received which did that?

Like...maybe this time around, their strategy is 'Show less so what's in the game seems like more'? Or maybe so that if something is different in the release version, then people can't pull old trailers and be like 'This was already in but taken out for DLC' like they did with Destiny 1?

I wouldn't say I'm worried as I think the quality and second-to-none gunplay/gameplay will still be there as a more than solid foundation and I'm certain they've been using Destiny and it's expansions as somewhat of a test bed for what is to come with the next major release.

That said, I'm sure there will be minor annoyances and quality of life stuff that a lot of players will complain/scratch their head about and the amount of content will always be questioned. I fully expect to repeat content a good bit I just hope there is a little bit more randomness to it or even tons of side quest type stuff to do as well. Ultimately I just hope they've come up with interesting ways to keep the content somewhat fresh instead of just expecting the players to go through the motions weekly. As I did with RoI I won't be playing past a certain point if the content dries up just for hopes to get lucky with RNG (maybe a handful of times but that's my new limit). I've done a handful of Nightfalls and strikes since mid-November which has been more than enough to quench my Destiny thirst (for what is currently available content wise) after 20 or so WotM runs. Point being, if they can keep the content fresh for whatever reason I'll stick around and play but the second it becomes stale and I'm doing it for RNG purposes I'll be moving onto something else and waiting for the next expansion.

I'm just surprised with the timing of it all concerning the game's announcement/reveal/release given the popularity, the developer, and publisher that are involved.

I'm not talking about game consoles but rather existing popular/quality game franchises and their sequels/follow-ups.

Edit: If I was referring to game consoles I would have mentioned the Sega Saturn which I walked into Babbages (before Gamestop) and purchased it in May of 1995 in a surprise early launch which was ultimately an unwise move.
For a modern console, it was somewhat unprecedented, and they are a much bigger deal than a game launch.

Congrats on the Saturn, though. 12 year old me would have been very jealous.

FyreWulff

It's also a different world for development these days. When Bungie was announcing games a year before they came out, nobody was working on the previous title anymore when they were up on stage. A year or more, in fact. Destiny 2's announcement will come months after they finally spindown everyone off D1.

Believe me, Activision will have no issue trumpeting it. That schedule I put above + they'll probably have a PS4 bundle with Destiny 2 for a holiday push, we're looking at probably a good 5 month long "launch" campaign?

It's also a different world for development these days. When Bungie was announcing games a year before they came out, nobody was working on the previous title anymore when they were up on stage. A year or more, in fact. Destiny 2's announcement will come months after they finally spindown everyone off D1.

Believe me, Activision will have no issue trumpeting it. That schedule I put above + they'll probably have a PS4 bundle with Destiny 2 for a holiday push, we're looking at probably a good 5 month long "launch" campaign?

This is probably the best reason for the lack of official announcements/updates given the environment structure of the development for games like Destiny and The Division (well, I'm pretty sure the developers still don't know what they want this game to be even over a year in from release so it might not be the greatest example) in which updates and content expansions are seemingly constantly being worked on thus why finding the proper window to announce something major for a franchise may prove a bit difficult strategically for a constantly evolving game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So I've been deep into Destiny since the alpha. Like most, I probably tackled the game in waves that more or less coincided with major content releases and expansions. I'm primarily a PVE gamer, and the three-player Nightfalls and six-player raids have literally been a console generation-defining experience for me. I got a PS4 at launch, but Destiny was the first time I put any significant time into the console, and I've been regularly returning to the game in the years since.

I was cautiously optimistic after the alpha. I was a little more cautious, a little less optimistic after the beta. Vanilla was... rough. High highs (with friends, new and old), LOOOOOOTS of lows. That vault space. Those bounty slots. I was there for Crota's End (heeeeellooooooo cheesy Flawless Raider). I came back for House of Wolves. I completely fell in love with the Taken King revamp and everything that followed. Collected all the new trophies to get back to 100%. Taken Spring was amazing. Rise of Iron didn't quite make the same splash, but it was all worth it for the new music and new raid alone. Collected those trophies too. Gotta maintain that 100%. Honoring Flawless Raider demands it.

So now we come to the Age of Triumph. Like many, I pretty much stopped caring once I learned that precious little would carry over to Destiny 2, despite those early promises to the contrary. After experiencing the troubles that came with an apparently troubled development and the significant complexities brought about by their apparently busted as fuck engine (as suggested by some press sneak fuck articles), I can't really say I blame them for ditching most of legacy Destiny 1. I'm sure it was a hard choice, but I'm also sure it's for the best. But it did lead to contributing to the feeling that I was DONE once the Rise of Iron record books were put to rest.

Decoupling Destiny 1 from the upcoming sequel also meant they could give this game a helluva a send off. Gjallarhorn and Icebreaker were too impossible to design against, so they had to be mothballed? Elemental primaries were too strong, and dominated the meta? None of that matters anymore, so all of it is coming back into play. As nothing carries over, and there are no more trophies to chase or unique challenges to experience, I wasn't really planning on returning to Destiny again.

But damn it, Age of Triumph looks amazing. The new raid armor looks amazing. I MISS MY VISION OF CONFLUENCE. My Fatebringer. My Vex Mythoclast. And while I have so, so, so much to play (finish Zelda, resume Horizon, Nioh DLC incoming, Neir wanting an up at bat, Persona 5 just around the corner, a new Uncharted coming later on, and so much more), I think I'd really like to tackle the new, final Destiny 1 record book. Seems wrong to not at least try to close out the Triumph record book, no? And by the Traveler, the new-old raid armor sets aren't pathetic reskins. They look GOOD.

My friends have mostly moved on. And even those that would be inclined to jump back in with me, find themselves overwhelmed by the flood of quality Q1 and Q2 games hitting our favorite platforms. So here I come to it.

Would there be any interest in putting together a small group of (mostly) East Coast U.S. DGAF veterans (preferably adult professionals that tend to work in the day and play at night and on weekends), looking to occasionally knock out the new raids, challenge modes, prison of elders, daybreak nightfall strikes, weekly rituals, and whatever else is brought up by the Age of Triumph? Not looking to obsessively dive back into the rabbit hole, as I won't be setting aside all of those games that I'm playing or soon will be playing. I'm looking for a group of laid back, fun-loving veteran Guardians to meet up with maybe once or twice a week in order to shoot the shit while knocking out content, without the breakneck, GOTTA DO IT ALL, GOTTA DO IT NOW mentality that has largely ruled my raid group for years now. Sure, I have my Warlock main and Titan and Hunter alts all at 400, ready to go. But I no longer have the time or desire to knock out three hard mode challenge raids every Tuesday night. I would, however, like to more casually knock out this Age of Triumphs record book with like-minded DGAF Guardians.

I don't check this thread much. I won't check this thread much ever after posting this. So if you're interested in something like what I propose above, let me know via PM, and I can either set up a clan on Bungie.net or a PS4 community dedicated to the cause. Or both. And once 3/28 rolls around, maybe we can start meeting up and knocking out some of these record book activities together. No pressure. We have all week. Until done, or bored.

You don't HAVE to be an East Coaster. You CAN be a "squeaker" with more free time on his or her hands than I'll have. You don't have to have the platinum, or three toons at light level 400, or 1,000 hours of raid experience, or a high ELO rating in Crucible (whatever that even means), or 30 Lighthouse visits, or even have a ton of experience with that first, rough year of Destiny (where two-thirds of the just updated raids come from). But if you're local (or accessible at my hours), have a mic, like to have fun, don't take shit too seriously, slant towards PVE, and are interesting in a casual return to the twilight hours of Destiny 1 on PS4, please let me know, and let's see if we can get at least a raid group of six going to knock out a single hard mode challenge raid a week, or some such. And dabble with some of the other new and refreshed content, for the purposes of knocking out record book progress. And I've been known to Iron Banana it up, though no promises I'll be reliably in for that this time around.

I look forward to some PMs. Or not. After all, there's a stupid amount of great new games to be enjoyed right now. And a new console. And a new Zelda!

So I've been deep into Destiny since the alpha. Like most, I probably tackled the game in waves that more or less coincided with major content releases and expansions. I'm primarily a PVE gamer, and the three-player Nightfalls and six-player raids have literally been a console generation-defining experience for me. I got a PS4 at launch, but Destiny was the first time I put any significant time into the console, and I've been regularly returning to the game in the years since.

.. .

You don't HAVE to be an East Coaster. You CAN be a "squeaker" with more free time on his or her
I look forward to some PMs. Or not. After all, there's a stupid amount of great new games to be enjoyed right now. And a new console. And a new Zelda!

You sir are a gentlemen and a scholar. Not an east coaster but I hope you find some peeps to play with.

HigXx

Trying to get back into the swing of things before AoT and damn does it feel like my sensitivity is way too high haha

MW1 vs MW2 is all subjective. I can see the arguments of both sides. MW2 kind of faltered in the Kill streaks area. Also, as much as I loved it, they completely went 180 on being able to run a shotgun as a secondary. And of course there was One Man Army. My god, what a broken perk. Then you look at MW1. It had some things people hated too. Martyrdom anyone? Personally I think MW1 ends up being a better game, but I still had a blast with MW2.

As far as Destiny goes, I do hope D2 does enough to make it feel better than D1. I don't want it to feel like an expansion. I want a sequel. I want Bungie to fix the fundamental flaws of D1 with D2.

Mindlog

After playing a certain other game...
PvE in Destiny will always be tied down by PvP and vice versa and that sucks. The Destiny classes are all mostly just variations on Grenade, Melle, and Super. Trying to get too inventive with that formula leads problems in PvP. Same goes with the weapons.

Feorax

Seriously contemplating taking a week off for Destiny 2, which is something I never do. Downside would be if Bungie decided to delay the raid launch like they've done throughout D1.

123rl

Has there been any mention of whether Xbox users will get the ps-exclusive content from King's Fall? If it doesn't come with this update, does that mean we'll never get it?

SilentFlyer

Has there been any mention of whether Xbox users will get the ps-exclusive content from King's Fall? If it doesn't come with this update, does that mean we'll never get it?

I don't think they mentioned anything about it, but they should release PS exclusive contents already for Xbox. Xbox users been waiting for more than a year. Although, those exclusive contents aren't anyway near as good as I thought they would be.

Edit: is there Destiny clan or Discord community I can join?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I get that it's a sequel, and it'll get the push on that.

You gotta think of it more in MMO terms though. It's more a platform vs one big drop like a CoD game. Better to look at how Blizzard markets WoW than say how EA markets Titanfall.

NastyBook

PSN: GibbShift

I plan on filling that card out in order to "beat" the game, so I'm down for games. You should probably get acquainted with the Destiny Discord, too, if you haven't already. We may get lucky and have a pretty big increase of posts here once everything goes up next week. But thanks to the drought of activity, everybody has gotten mad cliquey.

Top Bottom