• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny The Taken King starring Bungie with special guest appearance by Game Informer

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is regular TTK going to release as a physical version as well?

If it wasnt for Gears Ultimate and MGSV i might have been tempted by this as I waited for Halo 5. Will still check in for impressions to see if this all pans out.

Pachinko

I gotta give some props to Bungie, everything I read about the taken king has me thinking of giving Destiny a second chance but I'm also kind of hoping for a reasonable price to pay to upgrade my barebones physical disc. I feel like I only got half a game when I bought destiny a year ago and now it sounds like they finally finished the other half and want me to pay full price for it and ... I just don't feel like it. Too much other stuff to play right now , but hey , it's the thought that counts. Maybe in a few months I'll splurge.

Afrocious

No more Vanguard Marks and Crucible Marks. Only Legendary Marks that you get from all activities.

Nightfall modifiers will be handcrafted rather than random.

giphy.gif

No no no no no. God damn it. This *almost* makes me want to throw down 50 bucks for the TTK package.

FUCK

I can't decide. Damn damn damn.

Buzzman

Banned
How will that solve anything? You'll still need all the expansions and TTK then. Waiting's not saving you money.

uhhhh
If you have never bought a Destiny product before and want to start now, congrats! You're the ideal customer. You can buy the Legendary edition for $60

Of course old content is going to become cheaper.

lt519

Nice post Kor, trying to stay spoiler free except tidbits like what to do with all my resources and gear, but this post was sorely needed!

carlsojo

Well I guess if I already have the Ghost edition and I get TTK I might as well go all the way and get the Legendary edition.................

I hate myself.

Afrocious

Not since June. you're the last person i expect to come back considering that you were the first to leave.

Damn, you held the fuck out lol.

I'm guessing you're not going to return? Why'd you stop playing? I figured you'd be in Destiny for the long run.

Jabba

Banned
Based on many reactions in TTK threads, Bungie's really throwing the chum in the water. Possibly getting some old sharks that moved on to sniff the boat again. :p
Sounds like they're moving in the right direction overall.

Based on many reactions in TTK threads, Bungie's really throwing the chum in the water. Possibly getting some old sharks that moved on to sniff the boat again. :p
Sounds like they're moving in the right direction overall.

It has been interesting watching the general opinion of gaming side threads slowly start shifting these past two months.

Is regular TTK going to release as a physical version as well?

There is only a single client version of Destiny regardless of what DLC/Expansions you do or don't purchase, so there's really no point to an "only" TTK physical release. Destiny will be updated to version 2.0 which will include TTK content slightly before or on release date.

So will TTK have its own new fill achievement and trophy list?

Because the changes like the removal of vanguard and crucible marks will overwrite existing trophies.

Now, am I right in thinking that if you got Destiny for £40 and the two DLC's for £20 each that means you've paid £80 so far? Plus another £40 for TTK to make £120? Is that correct? Where-as a new player gets it all for £40-£50?
I mean if that's correct then my God they've not just taken the piss, they've boxed it, shipped it by courier to the airport and sent it on a one way trip around the world!
But I assume I am wrong because this would be bonkers, right?

M52B28

Banned
The new stuff sounds interesting, but I got burned badly by Bungie with vanilla Destiny.

Though I haven't played Destiny since December of last year, and I'm able to upgrade using the Legendary method, the upgrade system is garbage. People should be able to buy whatever DLC they want. If Activision were to try something like this with their DLC for Call of Duty, they'd be in a very bad situation.

I'll probably wait a little bit longer to see if they come out with anything more comprehensive. It is annoying to find games coming out like the state of Destiny originally was.

ChanMan

The new stuff sounds interesting, but I got burned badly by Bungie with vanilla Destiny.

Though I haven't played Destiny since December of last year, and I'm able to upgrade using the Legendary method, the upgrade system is garbage. People should be able to buy whatever DLC they want. If Activision were to try something like this with their DLC for Call of Duty, they'd be in a very bad situation.

I'll probably wait a little bit longer to see if they come out with anything more comprehensive. It is annoying to find games coming out like the state of Destiny originally was.

I stopped playing in October last year but all of this sounds REALLY interesting but I will resist until I hear some impressions from the community.

border

I'll probably wait a little bit longer to see if they come out with anything more comprehensive.

The best-case scenario is that you might be able to buy The Taken King Legendary Edition for $40 around Black Friday. But you can buy it for $50 on Day 1 if you have Amazon Prime or Best Buy Gamer's Club Unlimited. I don't really see the point in waiting over 10 bucks, but others may.

In a game with a linear character progression system, you at some point have to bring all players to parity with DLC and expansion packs. The Dark Below and House of Wolves are meant to take your character from Level 20-34. If you didn't have those you'd be stuck grinding vanilla missions or Crucible matches for nearly 15 levels.

I would love to be able to buy a new disc that has both DLCs and the expansion included on that physical disc. I had the limited edition pre-ordered as I'd assumed this was the case, but if it's just DLC codes with a vanilla disc I'd rather just buy the DLC. Shame, but I'm not spending £40 on a nice box and a little book. Probably almost the same book as I got last time, too.

excowboy

Nice job OP. May be worth mentioning that they spoke about their TTK experience for a good half an hour on their latest podcast/show thing: Link

No extra details but always nice to hear people's tone when discussing it. Their main Destiny fan was pretty into what he played.

Dez_

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm jumping in at this point. Glad I ended up waiting. I'm really interested in trying this out now.

glaurung

Very good recap of the known stuff so far! TY OP!

TTK pre-ordered and ready. Now to agonize over whether to reroll my main warlock or not. I presume Bungie are not changing the character creation tool at all.

I read the whole post but what if I only own vanilla Destiny and none of the expansions? Will I receive the new subclass for my level 32 hunter at least, even I I don't buy TTK?

The 8 story missions are not the main part of the story, but the first part. Game Informer described them as being the first act of a two-act play: the missions set the stage for The Taken War, which is structured around branching quest lines that begin when the regular story missions leave off. Many of those quest lines have additional missions unique to them.

[/url]

Oh that sounds great thanks for the update. It does seem Bungie are really trying to improve on so many areas that they realize fell short in Destiny 1.0 so I am hearing a lot of positive elements for taken king that keep me optimistic.

So if I were possibly interested in jumping back in, and had level 31-32 guys, should I wait until Taken King and the new leveling system is introduced?

Fistwell

Bungie's new "Mega-Expansion" the Taken King
lol, right. Guess expectations have been built up sky high again. Personally, looking forward to the new puny, bite-sized, overpriced DLC with pretentiously self-aggrandizing pre-release spiel, that delivers close to none of what it's hyped itself up to be.

I'm probably just bitter though.

KeRaSh

Sorry if this has been answered before but I thought that after the Luke Smith shitstorm a while ago they said they would offer a digital edition that inclused all the bonus items but not the original game and all the expansions so people who already have everything don't get fucked over. That edition is still MIA. Did I misread that or what's the deal with that?

Liamc723

lol, right. Guess expectations have been built up sky high again. Personally, looking forward to the new puny, bite-sized, overpriced DLC with pretentiously self-aggrandizing pre-release spiel, that delivers close to none of what it's hyped itself up to be.

So you don't know what you're talking about? Cool!

broony

Come back Zony! We miss you.

anothertech

I have a question then. If we moved on, deleted game from hard drive, sold the game, then come back with ttk legendary edition, are we starting from scratch or do our characters still exist on the account?

SgtCobra

Yeah you probably are. The 15th of next month will tell if you're right, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

Top Bottom