• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided A Criminal Past DLC 2 out February 23rd

dex3108

C24rtNWWQAEWGym.jpg:large

Adam Jensen goes undercover at an augs-only, high-security prison in Arizona. #ACriminalPast is coming February 23!

https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/823643949277597697

Link is currently dead

https://www.deusex.com/news/deus-ex-mankind-divided-criminal-past

Today, Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal announced that Adam Jensen is back in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – A Criminal Past, along with both an old acquaintance in Delara Auzenne, and new characters. The second Story DLC will provide players with more insight into the lore of the Deus Ex Universe, allowing them to experience one of Adam Jensen's first missions for TF29, set some time before the events of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – A Criminal Past, Jensen is transferred deep into a hostile, high-security prison for augmented felons. His mission: track down and retrieve sensitive information from a fellow undercover agent who has gone dark. Success will help the fight against terror around the world, but Jensen will need to confront a darker side to his role before the day is done.

Yeah, the page is loading really slowly. I'm hoping there's pricing details or screenshots.

Really happy we get to go to a new location. I hope this is more Missing Link sized.

Jackpot

Banned
What was the general consensus on the first?

The first 2 are literally sliced out of the main game, with hastily edited conversations from the hub world inserted at the beginning. They really don't add anything to the story. One gives you some meaningless backstory on the Prague bombing, the other is a lead-in for the Breach mode.

At least by being in a different country this might add something new.

Woah, when does this take place? Post-Makind Divided, Pre-MD, During MD? I was sure the next DLC or the final one would finally let us go to Rabiyah.

Breaking into the Palisade Blade was very cool just like breaking into the Property Bank was kinda the highlight of the main game.

The DLC really should've been fully integrated into the main campaign, though, instead of kept fully separate for balance reasons.

Nzyme32

The question I have to ask is whether the content is meaty enough for me to deem it worthy of a reinstall. The dlc or whatever it was that might have come with it for pre-order folk, was pretty short and not all that entertaining or interesting. Might just wait on all of them releasing before bothering since I already finished the game quite a while back and used up all my ssd space with other games and stuff

I'm assuming this one will basically be a big DX5 tease, too, which I'm very okay with. Mankind Divided was a big step forward design-wise but I'm ready for a more bombastic plot again and more compelling supporting characters (fuck, Pritchard was a breath of fresh air in System Rift).

Desperate Measures (the pre-order mission that they just made free a couple weeks ago) is a decent single side quest that isn't in the main game for no discernible reason.

System Rift is a bit pricey for what it is, but it's 3-4 hours of fairly good modern Deus Ex. The set up makes it a bit harder to explain (at that point in the main story when things are getting nasty in Prague, Jensen just suddenly going off to do this favor for Pritchard is kinda odd), but it was pretty fun gameplay wise with a few neat twists and Jensen's interactions with Pritchard are more genuine and charming than most of the character writing in the main game.

Sacha

Here's the official description from the website (currently experiencing some issues, sorry 'bout that) with a few more details

Today, Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal announced that Adam Jensen is back in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – A Criminal Past, along with both an old acquaintance in Delara Auzenne, and new characters. The second Story DLC will provide players with more insight into the lore of the Deus Ex Universe, allowing them to experience one of Adam Jensen’s first missions for TF29, set some time before the events of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – A Criminal Past, Jensen is transferred deep into a hostile, high-security prison for augmented felons. His mission: track down and retrieve sensitive information from a fellow undercover agent who has gone dark. Success will help the fight against terror around the world, but Jensen will need to confront a darker side to his role before the day is done.

I hope we get a less depressing color palette if that promo art is anything to go by. Hate to go to sunny Arizona and spend all your time in a metal and chrome dank dark prison.

Prague is nice and dense. But I did miss the gold color of Human Revolution.
That's why the end level was such a cool refresher.

I bought the game with the season pass but I've yet to play any of the DLC. It really bothers me that they're not integrated into the main game.

Effect

I wonder if at some point when they release a version that includes all the DLC if they'll integrated the DLC so it flows better. They eventually did that with the Missing Link DLC in Human Revolution.

Oh, it's set before the main story? That's interesting. I guess that also means that the experimental augs won't be active, unless they do something really funky to justify their existence.

Interesting that Delara is in it. Missing Link had hints for Mankind Divided. Might be the same here, assuming a sequel is in the works.

Smellycat

Oh, it's set before the main story? That's interesting. I guess that also means that the experimental augs won't be active, unless they do something really funky to justify their existence.

Yeah, it is highly unlikely the experimental augs will come back for this one, unless the development team completely forgets about the plot lol

Vic_Viper

Holy crap, Finally! Thought this was never going to come out lol.

Is there anything else planned for the Season Pass or is this the last one?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The first 2 are literally sliced out of the main game, with hastily edited conversations from the hub world inserted at the beginning. They really don't add anything to the story. One gives you some meaningless backstory on the Prague bombing, the other is a lead-in for the Breach mode.

At least by being in a different country this might add something new.

The first main DLC never felt like it was spliced out of the main game in anyway.

It was just a story that reunited you with good ole Francis Prichard.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Call me entitled but I hope Square Enix gives this away for free.

People have forgotten about this game already, I doubt they're gonna move much DLC for a game which already has a notorious reputation for an unfinished story stripped out for sequels/DLC.

I'd be curious to see what it's like without them. I think they did a lot to broaden Adam's offensive options, but a lot of that was also the scrap parts/item assembly system (which was in some ways a bit sloppy, but much much much better than the way HR handled it). I don't want the game to feel like it's all about cloaking and desperation typhoon use again, but the basic systems-level improvements in Mankind Divided might be enough.

Lime

Would have been cool as hell if Eidos Montreal did what Naughty Dog (Left Behind, Lost Legacy), Sucker Punch (First Light), and Ubisoft (Freedom Cry) had done with having new characters in the major DLCs for their AAA production.

If the series will ever continue after Eidos Montreal is done with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I really, really hope we get a new protagonist and that the edgelord trenchcoat aesthetic will be long gone. I could imagine a more unique protagonist would help make a potential sequel stand out much more.

Korigama

I wonder if at some point when they release a version that includes all the DLC if they'll integrated the DLC so it flows better. They eventually did that with the Missing Link DLC in Human Revolution.
IIRC, the consensus was that integrating The Missing Link into the main game for the HR Director's Cut didn't flow well.

CSJ

Boooo, another prequel DLC.

This, I'm tired of going backwards when I want to go forwards.
It works in some instances, yes; but between the two games? Eugh.

Nothing matters, it works fine when the whole series in itself is a prequel/set before but having a DLC wedged between your latest and previous title, bleh.

I bet it'll have characters and information I already know the outcome of too.

GET READY TO UNLOCK ALL YOUR AUGS AGAIN OR SOMETHING.
Wait, no ...kinda, some of them? The one's from HR I guess?..no, that wouldn't work.

d00d3n

IIRC, the consensus was that integrating The Missing Link into the main game for the HR Director's Cut didn't flow well.

Yeah, it was a stupid idea to combine the main game and the DLC like that. The DLC takes place at the very end of the game when you are wrapping things up. It is absolutely huge, though. Took me 17 hours to complete in OCD completionist mode, which will obviously fuck up the escalation when heading towards the ending in the main game.

Call me entitled but I hope Square Enix gives this away for free.

People have forgotten about this game already, I doubt they're gonna move much DLC for a game which already has a notorious reputation for an unfinished story stripped out for sequels/DLC.

You are entitled.

The main game is not unfinished. The main story thread is resolved and quite frankly, the "notorious" reputation is completely unearned.
The whole "who is Janus? What about Bob Page?" issue is resolved in Deus Ex 1. The people who complain about it feeling unresolved probably haven't played Deus Ex 1.

Ac30

Is this the final DLC? I bought the game on sale and finished it in 3 days, all side missions complete - I fucking love this series, wish we'd get another sequel :(

Dalibor68

Banned
Would have been cool as hell if Eidos Montreal did what Naughty Dog (Left Behind, Lost Legacy), Sucker Punch (First Light), and Ubisoft (Freedom Cry) had done with having new characters in the major DLCs for their AAA production.

If the series will ever continue after Eidos Montreal is done with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I really, really hope we get a new protagonist and that the edgelord trenchcoat aesthetic will be long gone. I could imagine a more unique protagonist would help make a potential sequel stand out much more.
Except the part where fans love Adam Jensen and instantly connect the franchise with him, but keep hating on him as in every single deus ex thread. At least this time you managed without "scruffy white male".

CSJ

Yeah, it was a stupid idea to combine the main game and the DLC like that. The DLC takes place at the very end of the game when you are wrapping things up. It is absolutely huge, though. Took me 17 hours to complete in OCD completionist mode, which will obviously fuck up the escalation when heading towards the ending in the main game.

Uhm, didn't the missing link take place during the few days you are away?
Near the end, but not after the end.

I don't remember much, what I do remember is I felt cheated out of enjoying something a bit more had it been in the main game and not tacked on as missing content.

Sounds more interesting than the other DLCs, but I need a guarantee that this isn't going to be another lame 2 hour "experience". The use of cheap anime art to promote this isn't encouraging.

Uhm, didn't the missing link take place during the few days you are away?
Near the end, but not after the end.

I don't remember much, what I do remember is I felt cheated out of enjoying something a bit more had it been in the main game and not tacked on as missing content.

It never felt like missing content to me just because it takes place during the events of the game. They introduce a new antagonist and new supporting characters and a huge new base. The DLC pretty long if you're a completionist like me. I haven't played the Director's Cut, so I don't know how it effects the pacing of the game by being a mandatory section. But I can definitely see it being a part where I go, "fuck not this part. I just wanna beat the game already."

unpopular opinion: integrating missing link into the main campaign would have been 100% fine if it didn't also strip away all of your augs and take your inventory away and then clumsily return them again at the end

nillapuddin

loved the game, but your upgrades/gear not being compatible is a deal breaker

spend 20+ hours playing campaign and be awesome, load up the dlc and basically be a starter character is not fun at all.

This, I'm tired of going backwards when I want to go forwards.
It works in some instances, yes; but between the two games? Eugh.

Nothing matters, it works fine when the whole series in itself is a prequel/set before but having a DLC wedged between your latest and previous title, bleh.

I bet it'll have characters and information I already know the outcome of too.

GET READY TO UNLOCK ALL YOUR AUGS AGAIN OR SOMETHING.
Wait, no ...kinda, some of them? The one's from HR I guess?..no, that wouldn't work.

Exactly, nothing of consequence will be learned or happen in the DLC, especially since Adam never thinks to mention it during all of MD. Can we please get some post-game DLC?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sorry SE, too far beyond the release. Already sold off my copy and absolutely no interest in re-purchasing it now. Will youtube the story bits and move on.

Is there anything else planned for the Season Pass or is this the last one?
This is the last DLC promised in the season pass. Any more content is not planed or at least not explicitly promised in the pass. (Based on the current wording anyways)

Would have liked a third story DLC but oh well.

Jackpot

Banned
You are entitled.

The main game is not unfinished. The main story thread is resolved and quite frankly, the "notorious" reputation is completely unearned.
The whole "who is Janus? What about Bob Page?" issue is resolved in Deus Ex 1. The people who complain about it feeling unresolved probably haven't played Deus Ex 1.

Janus isn't mentioned in DE1. We had to look to an art guide to find out the identity.

MD's story just doesn't go anywhere. There's a bombing in the ass-end of Prague and then we spin our wheels for 10 hours.

The CGI trailer they announced the game with contained all the plot you needed to know.

unpopular opinion: integrating missing link into the main campaign would have been 100% fine if it didn't also strip away all of your augs and take your inventory away and then clumsily return them again at the end
The biggest problem with TML integrated into DXHR was purely the size of it. It could have easily been an awesome 1-2 hour section, and had it been in the original story from the original, they'd have likely paced it that way.

The problem comes from the fact it was DLC, so they needed to stretch it out to 4-8 hours. It didn't really need to for the sake of the story though. the capture, the ship escape, the two agents that help you, and the discovery could have all easily fit in 1-2 hours.

So, in terms of pure story, TML is a pretty important part of DXHR. It clarifies the 'final bosses' in Panchaea an extreme amount. It's the way the content was paced that was the problem.

I'm a big fan of it... the jail cell escape is cool in a MGS sort of way. The ship infiltration is also cool a la MGS2. The Rifleman Bank Station was also pretty awesome in terms of aesthetic, and Commander Burke was a cool antagonist in a Neill Blomkamp 'grizzled soldier' sort of way.

Plus, the gold Belltower revolver you loot from him is my favorite gun in the game haha.

But yeah it is quite long each time I've replayed the Director's Cut... if they cut it down to about 1-2 hours, or at least on par with Montreal or The Omega Ranch, it'd be perfect. Didn't need to be Hengsha length lol.

Top Bottom