• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC/PS4/XB1) [Update: Big images in OP]

injurai

Banned
HR was probably my favorite game last gen. Not sure how I feel about this. HR is a game that stands alone. A masterpiece without need of milking. Let's see.

I could honestly say the same to the original Deus Ex. But we got HR. Imo HR was albeit more modern, the lesser of the two games. So there is room for improvement even with how much I loved HR.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Holy fuck yes, please!

I also hope that Michael McCann is doing the soundtrack for this, since the soundtrack to Human Revolution was one of the best from last gen.

MartyStu

Looking very much forward to this, because Human Revolution was unexpectedly great.

However, I'm still not happy that they went and apparently are still going the prequel route with these games. I mean what's the point of a plot-heavy game about uncovering global conspiracies when you already know that it's the Illuminati that are pulling most of the strings and that pretty soon Bob Page will stage his coup and take over the world as Majestic 12? I'd rather have them do a proper sequel to the original Deus Ex. Hell, they could even retcon Invisible War out of existence for all I care.

Yeah, I would rather a sequel as well.

With that said, inevitability presents very fertile ground for some unique stories. Especially character-driven ones.

Lakitu

st5fu
So ready for this. E3 is gonna be HYPE!!!

This, Fallout 4, Mass Effect and Battlefront. I'm going to have to get some spare underoos.

You should play it man. It fixes all the mistakes of the boss fights, you can go non-lethal if you want to and get the boss without him even seeing you.

I remember missing out because of how expensive it was when I wanted to buy the DLC. Sounds good though, I'm going to check it out. If they can apply that sort of design to this, I'll be very happy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I played neither (only the original version). How are they?

I like them, it has some good improvements. Though not sure if it's worth the 60 bucks.

yeah about that hm...
according to game informer, Sarif Industries went bankrupt after HR

Dammit. Should've chosen Hugh Darrow ending, but with the original Deus Ex intro where it's clearly stated people with mechanical augmentations are seen as pariahs, I can understand this.

I could honestly say the same to the original Deus Ex. But we got HR. Imo HR was albeit more modern, the lesser of the two games. So there is room for improvement even with how much I loved HR.

There is a lot of room for improvement with HR. There is also zero chance that the improvements they make, are the same improvements I'm thinking of.

Oh well, I hope they at least make the shooting fun for people.

Hold me in your prosthetic arms Jensen. My soul is ready.

DE: HR was the game of the generation last gen, we'll see if it can be done again this time. Keep those VAs and that composer and it's already done. I'm ready to earn my non-lethal achievements again.

Also. great choice to go with the weapon customization system from Crysis.

Lautaro

I hope mechs are not killed so easily by emp grenades this time.

Also less jank, I was watching some videos and HR had some serious jankiness in some fights.

injurai

Banned
There is a lot of room for improvement with HR. There is also zero chance that the improvements they make, are the same improvements I'm thinking of.

Oh well, I hope they at least make the shooting fun for people.

I know what you mean. Though I think they will decently improve environment path options. Hacking will certainly be improved. I got kind of sick of all the vents that were used for indoor levels in HR.

Deus Ex 1 had the better melodic soundtrack, Deus Ex HR had the better atmospheric soundtrack. Calling the latter "thoroughly bland" is very, very exaggerated and, though subjectively, it couldn't be any further away from the truth.
About the only atmospheric soundtracks I've liked are ones that are at least vaguely melodic, like the Quake soundtrack or some of the dungeons from the 3D Zelda games. Human Revolution's never was, so I can't really remember any track from it. That's what I mean by thoroughly bland, and frankly, it applies to all atmospheric tracks. Give me something I can remember, please.

As much as I love first Deus Ex ost. HR one was far away from bland:
Lower Hengsha
This just illustrates my above point. There's no hook. Nothing to interest me in the track. It's in one ear and out the other. I can't understand the continued praise this gets when I have no compulsion to keep listening to it outside of the game.

i-Lo

I really hope they can revise how long persistence of consequence lasts. I hope not see people who I knocked out, stay that during the rest of the gameplay. It felt like a big immersion breaker.

About the only atmospheric soundtracks I've liked are ones that are at least vaguely melodic, like the Quake soundtrack or some of the dungeons from the 3D Zelda games. Human Revolution's never was, so I can't really remember any track from it. That's what I mean by thoroughly bland, and frankly, it applies to all atmospheric tracks. Give me something I can remember, please.

This just illustrates my above point. There's no hook. Nothing to interest me in the track. It's in one ear and out the other. I can't understand the continued praise this gets when I have no compulsion to keep listening to it outside of the game.

It's ambient track for a reason.

I enjoyed Human Revolution, kept me playing till the end and I put a lot of hours into it.

It was quite an interesting story, although it didn't quite feel sci-fi and cyberpunk enough. I would like something a little more out there, with more interesting and wild ideas, a more hardcore cyberpunk approach. There's so much potential there and Human Revolution really just scratched the surface.

d00d3n

I can't wait to hear the details from the GI article. Also, I wonder what this media push means for the release date. Is late summer 2016 optimistic?

injurai

Banned
I enjoyed Human Revolution, kept me playing till the end and I put a lot of hours into it.

It was quite an interesting story, although it didn't quite feel sci-fi and cyberpunk enough. I would like something a little more out there, with more interesting and wild ideas, a more hardcore cyberpunk approach. There's so much potential there and Human Revolution really just scratched the surface.

The whole thing about HR is that it's just the very beginning of a Cyberpunk era. Things are still building up that type of world scenario. I felt that whole point was laid on pretty thick throughout the game.

It's ambient track for a reason.
Only reason I can fathom is because the Western AAA gaming industry has a fetish of late for ambient soundtracks.

I for one hope McMann isn't back and that Alexander Brandon returns, but I know McMann will be.

The whole thing about HR is that it's just the very beginning of a Cyberpunk era. Things are still building up that type of world scenario. I felt that whole point was laid on pretty thick throughout the game.

You might be right. I hope so.

And people are dissing the soundtrack? That shit was iconic. So memorable. If you think about the atmosphere and vibe of the first game, you think that music, not the dated graphics.

Odd that it's set so soon after Human Revolution. And I'm not wild about the return of Jensen, to be honest. All the DX games so far have had different
cloned
protagonists. Also,
my Jensen died at the end of Human Revolution.
It's cheap to retcon that.

Regardless, I'm very excited about this. And I especially like that Human Revolution's director, lead artist, and lead writer are still onboard. I really hope they give us more of Page, Everett, Manderley, and other characters from the original game. The Illuminati's internal power struggles could make for a great narrative.

I asked for this.

Consider my mind bedazzled.

You should play it man. It fixes all the mistakes of the boss fights, you can go non-lethal if you want to and get the boss without him even seeing you.

I loved quietly knocking on the door, cloaking, then choking out the final boss as he opened the door like "huh? is someone there?".

Good, gooooooooood!!! I was really looking forward to this reveal. Deus Ex: HR was a fantastic game. I bought it Day-1 played it for about 45 minutes then didn't touch it again for another six months. I think I just got distracted with Battlefield 3 and Gears 3 but once I did get back into it again I fell in love. The great graphics and a brilliant art style (dispite the piss filter), engaging and fun gameplay where stealth is not only viable but more often than not the better approach than the run n' gun option. What really got me hooked was the deep atmosphere and fully realized world design within a brilliant setting plus a host of interesting and well acted characters as well as an intricately crafted, intriguing and thought provoking story. Aside from the boss fights and the pre-rendered cutscenes Human Revolution was an absolutely amazing game. Played through it twice on 360 and three times on PC.

specdot

This game needs to be on wii U.

oIfj73o.gif
My thoughts exactly.

I don't really like it being set directly after HR, with the same protagonist nonetheless...

Also the screenshots kinda put me off and I can't put my finger on it. The graphics are good but somehow don't look realistic at all, almost cartoonish while lacking a distinct style. Like a mixture of Crysis and Red Steel.

Oh well, HR was so awesome, so let's see.

HR was GOTY 2011 for me, so hyped for this sequel. And lol at this leak, russian site that did this is pretty much dead and they do everything to get attention. Shame on them for destroying Square Enix PR company, still looking twitch translation though

TM94

Jensen was one of the best protagonists of last gen

Human Revolution was one of the best games of last gen

I'll fight everyone who thinks different to me.

Top Bottom