• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer Loyalty: How Has this Past Generation Changed Your Allegiances?

Drek

Was thinking about this a bit today and how it effects my future gaming purchases. I've always had favorite developers/publishers who garner premium mindshare, but this past generation I've seen the rise of many new favorites and decline to several others. The highlights:

Down
Square (applies to them, not Enix). Where to begin? I thought Square was poised for a golden age after the diverse quality they produced on the Playstation. Instead they're leaving this generation with only two bankable franchises to their credit (FF and KH), one of which is the company staple. The rest of their IPs are in disarray. They're trying to revive Mana, but how long ago was Mana a legitimate series? In turn they've given us "hits" like The Bouncer and Drakenguard. To make matters worse this generation as seen the departure of many talented staffers, forming studios like Monolith, Aruze, and biggest of all, Sakaguchi's Mistwalker. It looks as though Yasumi Matsuno will be moving on as wel. The huge turnover of staff in previous generations never reached the top development and design crew, but this generation it not only reached them, it decimated their senior staff.

For me this is the single worst case of a developer causing me to "lose the faith". I was a lock "sales+1" for pretty much any Square game that hit stateside. Going into the next generation though I'm not sure if they'll sell me anything other than the core series Final Fantasies.

Rare. Never been a huge Rare fan to begin with, but they could reliably sell me a handful of games a generation. Now I have pretty much no interest in what they're doing. Star Fox was a huge underdeliver, and their Xbox content was mostly various shades of mediocrity. I haven't played their X360 efforts yet so I won't judge too harshly, but then I hear those didn't exactly impress either.

Long ways down from Goldeneye, the first PD, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct, et al.

Neversoft. I genuinely enjoyed Tony Hawk for about two installements. I also thought their Spiderman game was pretty tight. Now they're just the house of Hawk sequels. Waste of talent in my opinion, I'd actually be interested if they'd ever do something new.

Up
Capcom. I don't think I can stress this enough. Last gen I'd buy their games for the occasional Street Fighter or Resident Evil fix, outside of that I didn't give them much support. Now I think they're the dominant developer in my software library. RE4, Okami, DMC1&3, Breath of Fire V, Maximo, and many other titles they've produced have not only been great games, but great games that add something to their respective genre. At this point I feel like a borderline Capcom fanboy. ;P

SCE. Sony has really done some marvelous things with their first and second party development. Its been talked about quite a bit around here so I won't get too into it, but sufice to say that I'm buying a PS3 at some point for Sony's content alone, who thought any sane person would ever say that just five years ago?

Bethesda. I'm a big PC RPG fan from way back but never played any of the Elder Scrolls games. Morrowind was like a time sink revelation for me. I spent a whole summer playing that game while healing from an injury, probably put a good 300 hours into it. I have mixed feelings about them making a new Fallout, but I'll definately buy it, and anything else they release for that matter.

So yeah, those are my major shifts in developer loyalty, figured it'd be a fun thread for everyone to list and discuss theirs as well.

bdoughty

Banned
Neversoft. I genuinely enjoyed Tony Hawk for about two installements. I also thought their Spiderman game was pretty tight. Now they're just the house of Hawk sequels. Waste of talent in my opinion, I'd actually be interested if they'd ever do something new.

Something new like, oh say GUN?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is confusing, you say past generation (since 2001? I'm guessing or 1999?), yet you seem to only list recent infulences of these developers. Just curious as to what you're really asking before I say anything.

Dahbomb

I have been a Capcom fanboy ever since SF2. The past generation and the next generation has only strengthened my support for the developers.

JB1981

Hasn't changed them at all. I'll be supporting 360 and PS3. Skipping out on Wii. Same deal as last generation.

relyt9

I agree with the Square part, they're really starting to suck. I hope my excuse "They're just putting all their time in to FFXII" really materializes. Something that was so great in the past is no making Dirge of Cerberus. Bummer.

Anyways, I'm not really biased against any company/console. But if I was forced to pick an allegiance it'd be Microsoft. I think... IDK... The three consoles all have things that I like. MS has shooters, Sony has JRPG's and more unique games (most of the time). And Nintendo has their awesome first-party titles (the sole reason I'm picking up the Wii, and I can say the same thing for the GCN). [/rant]

Kangu

Banned
Down
Nintendo: Really dropped the ball with GC support, less games and worse games than their N64 counterparts. Uncurable sequelitis. If the rest of the industry was in the same state as Nintendo I'd be calling for a Revolution too.

Polyphony: One moment of unrivaled inspiration to completely revolutionize an entire genre followed by years of stagnation.

Up
Team Ico: They didn't exist before! Now I equate them to the videogame PIXAR.

Capcom: It feels like they design their games just to appeal to my particular tastes. From GBA to GC to PS2 Capcom knows what I want!

Drek

jj984jj said:
This is confusing, you say past generation (since 2001? I'm guessing or 1999?), yet you seem to only list recent infulences of these developers. Just curious as to what you're really asking before I say anything.
Since the DC/PS2/GC/Xbox era. Any titles on those platforms are now "past generation". The point is to discuss how developers, now with hindsight fully on our side, have fared in the transition from PS1/N64/Saturn to the generation effectively ending this November.

Something new like, oh say GUN?
Just noticed that on their wikipedia entry, think I might have to check it out.

Anyways, I'm not really biased against any company/console. But if I was forced to pick an allegiance it'd be Microsoft. I think... IDK... The three consoles all have things that I like. MS has shooters, Sony has JRPG's and more unique games (most of the time). And Nintendo has their awesome first-party titles (the sole reason I'm picking up the Wii, and I can say the same thing for the GCN). [/rant]
Woah there! I meant software devs, the hardware companies themselves only merit discussion on a basis of if you think their in house lineup is more or less compelling than the generation before last. MS obviously doesn't have a console history, but I'm sure PC fans of MSG would agree that they've taken a monumental leap forward this gen. ;)

Bioware: Very disappointed in this company. JE was just awful. KOTOR was good, but came nowhere close to Baldur's Gate 2. I'll give Mass Effect a try, but if it's no good I'll have to place all my hopes into Obsidian Entertainment for my RPG needs.

Sega: Even when the DC failed, I was still a hard-core Sega fan. I bought an Xbox not for Halo, but because Smilebit made 3 games for it. But now... Sega hasn't made a game I care about since VF4. As far as I'm concerned Sega is dead; their games just don't have soul anymore.

I walked into last generation and thought Blizzard and BioWare were the two best game developers on the planet, and I walked out of it thinking the same thing. :)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
after quite literally being a nintendo fanboy up until the N64, the PS2 cemented my interest in Sony's line of consoles for at least the time being.

Level 5, Rockstar, and Sony all became new developers/publishers that i am interested in. Square Enix has been my #1 ever since the PSOne days, but Rockstar is now sharing that top spot with SE. At least, they're my favorite western developer. L5 and Sony have impressed me with the excellent quality they've provided as well, and the "#2" spot would definitely go to them.

Vangellis

Ive always been a big fan of the 2d street fighters and vs series, but capcom has really stepped up recently. I really make sure I watch all the games they are involved in now.

Companies that have went downhill? SEGA is the biggest offender. I loved a large amount of games from the house of sega... too many to name, but Ive owned all their systems to put it in perspective. Ive bought 2 games from them since the death of the dreamcast. Panzer Dragoon Orta and Rez, which are both great. Other than that they seem have lost their soul. They arent the SEGA I loved when I was growing up anymore. I have no faith in them and they just seem to destroy every franchise they update for the most part :( very sad. Damn its such a shame since they have a huge library of great games they could revisit.

Kapsama

up:
Capcom - They're the #1 pusblisher/developer on Earth atm(RE,DMC,LP, etc etc etc.)
Sony - Sony used to have GT and Crash, now they're in a different league.
Microsoft - Whether they develop or publish they've really become a force to be reckoned with. No more Azurik or Blood Wakes:)

down:

Sega - What happened? :(
Nintendo - Went from #1 to not mentioned at all :(
EA - Don't hate EA during the 32bit area was brilliant
Rare - I guess Shigeru Miyamoto was the reason their games were great, they've sucked since they left Nintendo
Square - like the thread starter said, mediocre games seem to be their standard fare now.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sega, nintendo, and square are all much diminished. though sega and nintendo still occasionally make games i like.

capcom and konami are my favorite developers...but that's more or less always been the case. for console gamers, this last generation was the first generation in which western developers really made their mark -- bungie, bethesda, bioware, etc. and ninja gaiden's by far the best game tecmo's ever made, though i still don't have much time for doa.

+ Valve
+ Sony
+ Capcom
+ Level 5
+ Team Ninja
+ Double Fine
+ Ubisoft
+ Microsoft
+ Lionhead

- Square
- Sega
- Polyphony
- EA
- ID

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
PhlegmMaster said:
Bioware: Very disappointed in this company. JE was just awful. KOTOR was good, but came nowhere close to Baldur's Gate 2. I'll give Mass Effect a try, but if it's no good I'll have to place all my hopes into Obsidian Entertainment for my RPG needs.

My feelings exactly. Also, besides many of the more prominent shifts already mentioned (like Nintendo):

Bungie: They went down in my estimation (which I assume is the opposite of most of you). The Marathons (which I actually only played recently) were very good, and Myth 1 and 2 were superb. Oni, Halo, and Halo 2 all struck me as horribly average in comparison.

Ubisoft: Far upward, although this is mostly due to the fact that they exploded in size during the past generation.

Eidos: Down, in large part due to Deus Ex: Invisible War (which isn't completely their fault). They seem to have gotten a bit better very recently, though.

steve

Banned
I was a huge Sony supporter for years until that fateful day Sony released the PS2 HDD... and then directly afterwards they completely abandoned support for it, even going as far as creating a new PS2 with no option to place an HDD inside. Then they told me my PS3 would cost 700+ dollars before I bought any games controllers accessories, etc. BOOOO!

Gorey

Single Biggest Increase: Capcom
Is it their 'new golden age'? Not quite a 'release day automatic sale' but it's getting close.
Single Biggest Decrease: Bioware
From my favorite developer to...meh. It's gone downhill since Baldur's Gate 2. Even Kotor isn't enough to balance the books.

xaosslug

Kangu said:
Down

Polyphony: One moment of unrivaled inspiration to completely revolutionize an entire genre followed by years of stagnation.

What are you on about? They make racing sims, the occasional game out side of that genre, and are still at the top of their game in what they do. Exactly what are they "down" from?

Also, I think Polyphony and Team Ico would fall under Sony's "stable" and shouldn't be counted separately, especially considering you list Nintendo as a whole instead of individual, internal devhouses. :p

Avalon

Square was the publisher I use to turn to for quality games last generation... Now I don't think highly of them at all since I can't say I've really enjoyed many SE games this generation (VP2 doesn't count because we all they are not responsible for it).

Atlus US is always something I keep my eyes on these days. Great variety of games and some really obscure stuff I've grown to love that I wouldn't have even known existed if it weren't for them (Rule of Rose!). Now to mention they are the ones that bring the fantastic Megaten series to the states.

Llyranor said:
My only absolute allegiance is to Obsidian Entertainment.

Heck, they could even make me get a PS3.

Now I'm sure that's it's you.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
capcom has always been my favorite publisher/developer. I buy capcom games for consoles I don't own. And with clover, grasshopper, dmc, onimusha, ect. they have grown beyond what I ever would expect from them.

Atlus; never heard of them, before they threw Dante in Nocturne and released it here. now SMT is my ballpark ;) Atlus games are day 1.

SEGA, Konami, lucasarts are all declining. sorry people, their efforts where pretty sucky. especially SEGA's raping of the sonic franchise.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
icarus-daedelus said:
You don't think the rushed final product, shorter development time, and the general decrease in the quality and scope of Invisible War wasn't Eidos' fault? You don't think it was the publisher who forced Invisible War to be dumbed down and made more action oriented to better appeal to the public? Deus Ex was Warren Spector's baby, and Eidos ****ing ruined the series. It is ENTIRELY their fault. (I don't mean to be harsh to you, btw.)

So yeah, Eidos down the ladder a million rungs. And then some.

Nope, I don't think it's completely Eidos' fault. I'm sure they put pressure to dumb down the game, but Warren Spector/Harvey Smith went along with it wholeheartedly. They kept defending horrible decisions, and I even remember Spector saying something like "people didn't like Invisible War because there was too much choice".

As far as I'm concerned, the developer and publisher are both culpable.

jarrod

Banned
Drakengard's an Enix game fwiw.

It's hard to look at just this past generation as whole though, as I feel there's been quite a general turnaround since 2004. Nintendo's on the upswing, after EAD's repeated misfires and the loss of Rare. SEGA's also finally recovering from their "platform agnostic" phase, reverting to their classic studio setup and pumping on tons of amazing arcade games. Capcom's great as usual, though their most recent efforts have been notch above even their usual excellence. Namco unfortunately seems to be stumbling a bit in the next gen transition with their recent merger to Bandai and unimpressive new efforts all around. Konami seems to be suffering a bit after their recent R&D consolidating, with really only a small handful of bright titles on the horizon (most coming from the dedicated KojiPro).

Gorey

icarus-daedelus said:
You don't think the rushed final product, shorter development time, and the general decrease in the quality and scope of Invisible War wasn't Eidos' fault? You don't think it was the publisher who forced Invisible War to be dumbed down and made more action oriented to better appeal to the public? Deus Ex was Warren Spector's baby, and Eidos ****ing ruined the series. It is ENTIRELY their fault. (I don't mean to be harsh to you, btw.)
...(snip)
Eidos is definately at fault, but I don't see how you can take the developer out of the equation. No sense kicking a dead horse, but just proclaiming 'more dev time!' is a cop out in my opinion.

Edit: Bleh, what Chairman said. Especially about Spector/Smith.

LevelNth

Banned
UP:
Level 5 -- From a non-existent startup to tied as my favorite developer in the industry today, they've become one of the industry's strongest RPG powerhouses. Akihiro Hino is probably the most underrated developer working today.
Team ICO -- Technically part of SCE, but worthy of individual recognition; tied with L5 as my absolute fav dev, and home to Fumito Ueda, the new Miyamoto of the video gaming world.
SCE -- A massive house of amazing developers, vaulting past Nintendo as the premier first party house, producing an amazing level of genre diversity and high quality gaming.
Capcom -- An already fantastic third party made even better this gen, in large part thanks to the formation of Clover Studio.
Kojima Productions -- One of the most inspirational and raw talented studios in the industry, headed by one of the greatest developers to ever live.
Atlus -- They made great strides in strengthening their localizations, and the SMT line consistently delivered this gen.
Nippon Ichi -- Came out of nowhere to deliver this gen's best SRPG's.

DOWN:
Sega -- Wow. The ultimate meltdown. In such a short period of time, they went from one of the world's best development houses to one of the industry's most tragic jokes.
Nintendo -- A company that has become complacent in their franchises and misguided in their inspiration. No longer can they carry a platform on their backs alone.
Neversoft -- The product of Activision's bottom line. Such wasted talent.
Eidos -- I don't even need to explain this one.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
xaosslug said:
What are you on about? They make racing sims, the occasional game out side of that genre, and are still at the top of their game in what they do. Exactly what are they "down" from?

Also, I think Polyphony and Team Ico would fall under Sony's "stable" and shouldn't be counted separately, especially considering you list Nintendo as a whole instead of individual, internal devhouses. :p
It's like the same game 4 times in a row with nicer car models each time.

I still love the original 2 player arcade mode the most :)

jarrod

Banned
LevelNth said:
Nintendo -- A company that has become complacent in their franchises and misguided in their inspiration. No longer can they carry a platform on their backs alone.
Not to nitpick but... uh... who's carrying DS then?

Personally, I'd say the best games this year and next mainly look to be coming from Nintendo (Zelda TP, Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Smash Brawl, Wii Motorsports, tons of DS stuff), SEGA (Yakuza, VF5, VT3, Monkey Ball BB, Sega Rally, tons of arcade stuff) or Capcom (Dead Rising, God Hand, Ookami, Lost Planet, DMC4, Devil Kings, Megaman ZX/SS, Ultimate GnG, Phoenix Wrights, etc, etc). The only other companies even on my radar are Enix (DQ Swords/Joker), Mistwalker (BD/LO) and Valve (HL2 ports, TF2, Portal).

Down -

EAD: I don't even want to talk about this one.
Square Soft: I was pretty excited about Square on the PS2 until I saw/played the Bouncer and FFX. Oh god, what an awful generation from them, especially after everything they did on the Playstation. Only recently have things seemingly gotten better.

I'd list an Up or two but they're mostly developers I had little to no experience with before this generation. Intelligent Systems, Creative Assembly, and Bungie are at the top of my new favorites list.

J2 Cool

UP:
Kojima Productions - Just rocketed themselves to the top in sheer talent, starting right off with MGS2. MGS3 was my GOTG.
Team ICO - From nowhere to brilliance like said.
Capcom - Just ridiculously good games scattered everywhere.

DOWN:
Rare - Yikes.
Neversoft - It's like they stepped off a cliff after THPS2 and fell the entire generation.
Sega - It's true. They definitely pushed out some great games, but consistency was lost entirely. Super Monkey Ball and Shenmue still have me thankful though.
Eidos - :lol

I think I've finally given up on sega even though I can't wait for psu.

I still like Square but unless you're stuck in FFXI like me I don't think you really know how much they hate thier fans. ;o

+
Blizzard - I knew they made quality games before but except their SNES games, I didn't really play until WoW - not a fan of RTS games
Sony - from making various mediocre games to Ico, SotC, GoW and the entire original party game lineup with Singstar and Buzz
Nintendo - I didn't even bother with N64, but Smash Bros and Metroid, not to mention some sexcellent GBA games like Zero Mission brought them back for me

=
Konami - SotN and Suikoden 2 are still my two favourite games and despite good offerings (DoS and S5) they're still not quite up to 32 bit standards
Bethesda - Daggerfall was excellent, Morrowind was excellent, Oblivion is excellent... hard to go anywhere but straight ahead like that
Sega - started out well and made me a VF fan with VF4, but apart from that they've pretty much lost all my good-will recently and are back at "meh"
Koei - didn't know or care for them before Dynasty Warriors, was burnt out on Dynasty Warriors in about four years, don't care much for them right now
Namco - Soul Calibur is still a great series, not much else though

-
Capcom - for dumping their core fighting fans like a pair of worn-out boxer shorts, I have little interest in their entire RE/DMC/Oni subgenre - a few titles like Okami and Lost Planet might redeem them
Square - totally lost all interest in their titles after FFX

SantaC

Up

Konami (best 2D goodness today)
Capcom (no comments neccisery)
Intsys (still great)
Retro Studios (sorry dragona and anihawk, I like the Prime games)

down

Squeenix (FFX is quite good, and I am hyped for FFXII, but other than that not the same as PSX)
Valve (yes sorry HL2 wasn't that good)
EAD (Zelda TP will probably blow me away again, but I was still letdown overall by them)
Neversoft (everything after Tony Hawk 3 is garbage)

LevelNth said:

You and all the rest of you saying crap like this?
GC sold 20m mainly down to 1st party support, and DS sells by the bucket load, and what games sell by the bucket load along with it? YEAH Nintendo games. Most of which are new genres, or new takes on old genres.
Yeah they aint been perfect, but they are gettin gbetter since Ninja man stepped down and Iwata took over and dropped GC like a Ginger step child.

DefectiveReject said:
You and all the rest of you saying crap like this?
GC sold 20m mainly down to 1st party support, and DS sells by the bucket load, and what games sell by the bucket load along with it? YEAH Nintendo games. Most of which are new genres, or new takes on old genres.
Yeah they aint been perfect, but they are gettin gbetter since Ninja man stepped down and Iwata took over and dropped GC like a Ginger step child.

And the Simpsons' ratings are still good enough to keep them on the air. So?

DS isn't within the realm of this topic.

fse

+ UP
Rare - always delivers fun and unique games.
MGS - Msft has done a lot to improve the games they produce
UbiSoft - yup
Q? - lumines ftmfw
Nintendo - carrying the ds with great games
R*

- DOWN
Sega - :(

X26

Banned
UP +

Microsoft
Capcom

NO CHANGE +/-

Sony
Blizzard
Konami

DOWN -

Nintendo
Square-Enix
EA
Polyphony Digital

+ Amusement Vision - two Monkey Ball games and F-Zero GX make them my favorite this gen
+ Intelligent Systems - can do no wrong.
+ Capcom - and I already thought they were great.
+ Team ICO - two classics in a row, not bad

- SEGA - outside of Amusement Vision...bleh.
- EAD - Once upon a time, I could've lived on EAD games alone. This gen, it feels like they didn't make anything. I think Miyamoto moved into marketing and they had to work without him.
- Rare - they only made 3 console games this gen (vs. 10 for N64), and none of the 3 were as good as last gen's games--including the remake!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Up:

Capcom - for reasons that have been said... The MM games, Third Strike (even though that probably was "last gen" its still the best fighting game ever), RE games, DMC, Okami, BOFV, Phoenix Wright, Dead Rising... the hits just keep coming from this company.

Nintendo - I absolutely hated the N64 so anything was a step up from it :p But I absolutely love the DS and am looking very forward to the Wii, more than PS3 at least.

Down:

Square - what happened here? I mean they were always hit or miss in the past, but when they hit, they really nailed it... this gen it was all misses for me, like the best Square-developed game I've played recently was FF4 advance, and that was a botched TOSE port :p Hopefully I will enjoy FF12 but I have a lot of reservations about it.

Konami - back in the NES/SNES days they would put out classic after classic... now they put out the occasional good Metal Gear game or Metroidvania game (which is honestly starting to get derivative but still fun)... and the rest is Bemani games (*snore*) or shitty licensed titles.

SEGA - lost it when they went multiplatform, but they still put out the occasional good game, they aren't as hopeless as a lot of people seem to think. Outrun 2 was great, PDO and JSRF were fun, and Rez was one of the greatest game experiences of my life.

Top Bottom