• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer Loyalty: How Has this Past Generation Changed Your Allegiances?

mikeGFG

Banned
Well I'm going by publishers. Specific development studios are too varied and change too often through generations

UP:
Sony
Ubisoft
Capcom

DOWN:
Square
Square
Square
Konami

Amir0x

Banned
Up:

Atlus - Lots of great niche titles, so I suck at the fountain-like tits of mother Atlus for all time
Capcom - Okami, Megaman ZX, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 1/3, etc... have sex with me, please?
Sony - On PSX, I could barely give a shit what they made except for, like, Gran Turismo. On PS2, there's like more than a dozen first party titles that are ****ing excellent.

No Movement:

Konami - Castlevania DS, Metal Gear Solid 3... but also, Castlevania PS2.
Nintendo - I love Gamecube Nintendo way more than N64 Nintendo. I hate DS Nintendo way more than any timeframe of Nintendo before.

Down:

SEGA - You won't fool me with one pretty good game, Yakuza! Deliver Rez 2 and we'll talk!
SquareEnix - Actually, after FFXII and VP:S you might be moved into the 'no movement category', but until then I must say Musashi Samurai Legend sucked my balls so I hope you pay!

LevelNth

Banned
jarrod said:
Not to nitpick but... uh... who's carrying DS then?
Handhelds schmanhelds =P. Anyways, handheld Nintendo and console Nintendo are like two different companies; the former continues playing to the big N's strengths, while the latter has fallen pretty harshly behind the standards set by other developers in the industry. It's easy to see why they want to handheld-ify their next console; that's far and away their forte.

jarrod said:
Personally, I'd say the best games this year and next mainly look to be coming from Nintendo (Zelda TP, Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, Smash Brawl, Wii Motorsports, tons of DS stuff), SEGA (Yakuza, VF5, VT3, Monkey Ball BB, Sega Rally, tons of arcade stuff) or Capcom (Dead Rising, God Hand, Ookami, Lost Planet, DMC4, Devil Kings, Megaman ZX/SS, Ultimate GnG, Phoenix Wrights, etc, etc). The only other companies even on my radar are Enix (DQ Swords/Joker), Mistwalker (BD/LO) and Valve (HL2 ports, TF2, Portal).
Yeah, I'm not comfortable betting ahead on Nintendo or Sega right now; neither seem to be very consistent these last few years. IMO the strongest showing this year and next will come from either Capcom (the above games you listed) or Sony (Resistence, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Motorstorm, Big, Lair, Hot Shots Golf 5, Genji and Level 5's Jeanne D'arc, Rogue Galaxy NA, White Knight Story, etc.).

UP:
-Team ICO - I would buy a PS3 if Fumito Ueda made the only game for it.
-WarioWare team (R&D1?)
-Amusement Vision
-Insomniac

DOWN:
-Square-Enix - I have more than 15 PS1 Square/Enix games. I have 3 for the PS2

Kangu

Banned
xaosslug said:
What are you on about? They make racing sims, the occasional game out side of that genre, and are still at the top of their game in what they do. Exactly what are they "down" from?

B-Spec? Photomode? That's the entirety of their contributions to the genre since GT1.

Also, I think Polyphony and Team Ico would fall under Sony's "stable" and shouldn't be counted separately, especially considering you list Nintendo as a whole instead of individual, internal devhouses. :p

I really have no idea as to who makes what at Nintendo, they're down across the board from what I can tell though.

Jiggy

Up:
GameFreak - Rebounded after the disappointment of Pokemon G/S/C not really adding much to the gameplay, with the introduction of traits in R/S. They also succesfully pulled off Drill Dozer to prove they could do more than Pokemon.
Konami - In the PS1/N64/GBC generation they really didn't do much except Symphony of the Night. Now they do more 2D Castlevanias and more DDRs. I still miss Goemon, though.

Down:
Nintendo EAD - Proved that Majora's Mask was the exception rather than the norm and that 3D Zelda, much like 3D Mario, would stay inferior to its 2D predecessors and counterparts.
Rare - I don't even know who they are anymore.
Square-Enix - Continued descent into irrelevance, and treated their FF series with the opposite (but equal) effect of sequelitis: they they tarnished the series' name with the experimental FFX-2 and FFXI daring to have numbers attached to them even though they just about reinvented the wheel.

New loyalties:
Amusement Vision - Never heard of them until F-Zero GX.
Camelot - I played all of one game of theirs before December 2005, and I didn't like it that much. Then Mario Tennis Power Tour hit and it's now my sixteenth favorite standalone (non-Pokemon) game.
Intelligent Systems - I didn't know these people existed until December 2004, when I picked up Advance Wars 2 because I saw it for $16. From there on, though, there was no turning back.

GhaleonEB

+Bioware - I never played one of their games until KotOR. Now I'm a fan and eagerly awaiting Mass Effect.

+Bungie - The Halo games are two of my top three all-time favorite games. The top two.

- Sega - After Panzer Dragoon Orta and TJ&E III they just wilted for me.

temp

posting on contract only
+ BioWare

Loved Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, forgot about them, played KOTOR, favorite developer again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Up:

Atlus: especially Atlus USA they have improved a lot their localizations are top notch and all those niche titles they publish not to mention SMT delivered this gen <3 Atlus

Capcom: they were never bad, they always had great titles but this gen their output has been ridiculous gem after gem

IntSys: same as capcom quality title after quality title In IntSys I trust

Terrell

Nintendo has been either up or down, depending on which platform you're looking at.
For the GCN side, I absolutely agree, Nintendo dropped the ball pretty big, with only a few games worth noting (Fire Emblem being one of them), which were spread unbelievably thin.
For the DS side, they seemed to start off pretty slow, but with titles like Ouendan, NSMB, the best Mario Kart since the SNES days, the fastest-selling Pokemon titles ever made, multiple partnerships with Square Enix using the Mario franchise... I think they're doing fine. And all this great software notwithstanding, there's also the "non-game" craze/fiasco they've pioneered.
Jury's still out on Wii, but it looks like the system has a very steady stream of quality games heading to the platform.

Capcom has always been a company I've wanted to cheer on... but the "Capcom Curse" is not something that's easily forgotten. That aside, their content has been very consistent, not to mention stellar. While it's upsetting that they've abandoned the fighting game genre that made them so unbelievably successful, Phoenix Wright, Lost Planet, Megaman ZX, Okami and Sengoku Basara have definitely cushioned the blow. But dangit, Capcom, how many nightly prayers will I have to say to get a new Rival Schools or Power Stone game?

Bandai Namco hasn’t really been doing us any favors lately, with the company being more about spreading the Tales games on so thickly as to make them nearly irrelevant. Do we really need more than THREE Tales remakes within a 2-year span? Not to mention their renewed interest in Tamagotchi and trying desperately to resurrect the Ridge Racer franchise. But despite it all, Tales of the Abyss, Symphonia and Baten Kaitos has kept everything steady as far as decent output.

Konami… well, other than Zone of the Enders (which seemed like the video game equivilent of an Oscar vanity), didn’t do any new franchises, but they certainly didn’t screw up any of their existing properties. What they put out this past generation was completely spot-on.

Of all the developers this generation, the only one that seems to be dropping the ball in a big way is Sega. It’s not like they’re not trying… they’re just trying to be the next EA instead of expanding on what made them so successful: unique games with unbelievable presentation. They pump out deplorable Sonic titles at a rate that would make Nintendo nauseous, and mismanage every hit franchise to the point of nearly dropping off the map. Space Channel 5, Rez, Jet Set Radio, Samba de Amigo, Comix Zone, Vectorman, Virtual On, Shinobi… all great franchises, all but forgotten thanks to this company’s boneheaded ploy to be more like Electronic Arts.

Jiggy37 said:
Then Mario Tennis Power Tour hit and it's now my sixteenth favorite standalone (non-Pokemon) game.
I think you put way too much into that sort of thinking...

Assuming this gen counts DC:

+ Capcom - It's been a total love fest since MvC2 made me buy a DC. I was never that into their 32 bit days but damn they've got me sold (Probably also heavily influenced by their awesome ass next-gen too)

+ Konami - Well, I suppose this is only fitting as I think the last Konami game I played before MGS2 was some shitty TMNT game on the SNES. But yea, I discovered MGS this gen, and it's easily the best game to play drinking with friends. Screw competitive party games, it's all about the campy stealth action.

+ Sega - People can hate on their existence post-DC all they want, but they've still managed to make some of the best games this gen. Despite how badly their exclusive titles bombed, they were almost all great games on their own.

- Square Enix - Legend of Mana is probably my favorite videogame ever. The fact that it still hasn't had a proper sequel and the one it is getting looks repulsive just makes me want to throw knives at things. Fortunately Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell seems to be an awesome game in the same design. The fact that DQVII (WORST GAME EVER) was basically released this gen doesn't help either.

- Nintendo - As a whole. Nintendo games I enjoyed this gen? Metroid Prime and... Zelda TWW. I should have seen the signs when they launched with Luigi's Mansion and SSBM, fine games on their own if only completely and totally underwhelming compared to past efforts.

Pimpbaa

+Rockstar (I was only a mild gta fan before 3)
+Tecmo (made some nice looking fun playing games)
+Microsofts game division (microsoft making a game console?! roofles! it's gonna fail!)
+Bungie (had no opinion of them before halo, since it was the first game of theirs i played)

-EA (killed some of my favorite developers)
-Konami (only games I liked were the portable castlevanias, they are not the company I loved so much during the NES and SNES era anymore, now they are known more for a series of games from a film director wannabe)
-Sega (What happened to you man? You used to be cool)
-Square (their games were better when they didn't have such horribly voiced cinamatics, the increasing linearity of the FF series sucks too, everyone in their games starting to look like Gackt isn't helping either)

UP

Bioware - KotOR was one of the best moments this gen for me as a hopelessly devout Star Wars (currently reading Tim Zahn's Outbound Flight if you need a clue) and RPG fan. On that alone they go up, despite the disappointment that Jade Empire provided.
Rockstar - In one word: GTA.
Capcom - Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, etc. was a good start. But when Resident Evil 4 came out, this shit hit the fan: from then on it's been Pheonix Wright to Devil May Cry 3 to Okami to Megaman ZX. Capcom FTW.
Intelligent Systems - Advance Wars, Fire Emblem and Paper Mario have all been saving graces on Nintendo's systems of late; IS is perhaps one of a handful of devs that can claim perfection on producing quality game after quality game.
Amusement Vision - Monkey Ball was good. F-Zero GX was not only great, but nigh-perfection. Almost as...
Team ICO - Outta nowhere from this dev. I don't think any games as art discussion has gone forward without a mention of ICO or Shadow of Colossus.
Team NINJA - Ignoring that DOA fluff: Ninja Gaiden was the definitive action game experience this gen.
Retro Studios - "What? You're putting Metroid in first-person?!" I remember the days of pre-MP release: not only did they prove me wrong, the games (I must be the only person who loved MP2) proved to be as good as the classic 2D versions -- something I never expected in my wildest dreams.

NO CHANGE

EAD
- Right now they're somewhere in the middle to me. For every Mario Sunshine there's a Pikmin 2, and for every Nintendogs there's a Mario Kart DS, and for every NSMB (Oh, I went there; but still solid, if not spectacular) there's a Drill Dozer, and so on, ad infinitum.

DOWN
Sonic Team - Argh!
Square - With quality leaving, a thinning down on its viable franchises and a lack of new quality output... it's easy to see why it's here.
Rare - Self-explanatory.
Konami - Not even the best Metal Gear title in years (MGS3) can save it from the general lack of quality output from its other franchises. (outside of the portable Castlevania titles, Ace Combat)

Top Bottom