• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers blast the celeb-laden Game Awards as 'an embarrassing indictment of a segment of the industry desperate for validation… with little respect

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Kratos actor shitting on COD was pretty fkd up IMO.....you dont do that to your peers.
suck my dick wwe GIF

This you with the cod devs?

poodaddy

The nominations themselves were fucking jokes, and people still expect the show itself to be worth a shit?

I don't know why you guys watch this trash just to get upset that it's trash. Fake ass show, fake awards, fake nominations, just an excuse to get celebrities on stage and make Geoff another stack through advertising. Shit's cringe and embarrassing.

Interesting take, considering we have drama articles about game development discussed about twice a week around here, all year long.

Why even show up for the event if it’s blatantly not about the games of the year, but the games of next year?
Devs should just stay home and be like “oh, our game won? Gee, thanks, now wrap that trophy up and ship it here, we’ll have a thank you video up on YT and it’ll be as long as it takes for us to actually express gratitude to our fans.” This way there’ll be even more time to fellate Kojima onstage for showing an evolution of the tech used for Cain’s face in RoboCop 2.
Just compare TGA's views to those of the D.I.C.E. awards. The latter gets like 2.6k views. Heck, if you go to their channel, they're happy to even hit a couple thousand views on their in-depth developer interviews. Most people don't care for that kind of content. TGA only gets that viewership from the game announcements. The awards are a fun little distraction to them.

I wish there were a way to recognize and celebrate the people who work tirelessly behind the scenes to make those games we like so much, and have the audience actually care about that. But there isn't and they don't.

Here’s the thing. It’s an award show, but also a show to show off new games. Almost like winter e3. Those new games and ppl talking bout the new games is what got ppl watching it and what is bringing in the bills. U cut that all out. Just have ppl coming up and doing talking after the awards. Nobody be watching and it would go down. But next year. They need to up it from 30sec to least a minute. Other than that. First time I really did enjoy the show thru the whole thing.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Industry isn't desperate for validation, actually Hollywood actors wanting to be in games feel more like the opposite.

The ones being desperate for Hollywood validation are journos, they don't like games for what they are

simpatico

desperate for validation​

Fucking lol! I'm desperate for an award show to validate me as an electrical engineer! Why does the world hate us? Don't you guys like buying products that are made on industrial machinery?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Whatever, it's an awards show. That dude who basically gave away like five PS5's by giving an hour long speech is a legend.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just compare TGA's views to those of the D.I.C.E. awards. The latter gets like 2.6k views. Heck, if you go to their channel, they're happy to even hit a couple thousand views on their in-depth developer interviews. Most people don't care for that kind of content. TGA only gets that viewership from the game announcements. The awards are a fun little distraction to them.

I wish there were a way to recognize and celebrate the people who work tirelessly behind the scenes to make those games we like so much, and have the audience actually care about that. But there isn't and they don't.
This is the sad truth that most at prepared to talk about.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
There are 31 categories at the game awards. Allow for 2 minutes to announce the categories, 1 minute for speech and that's only 90 minutes. That allows another 90 minutes for bad sketches and trailers.

You can save time by cutting bullshit categories like best esports team and best twitch streamer. But no way in hell should best score and best art direction be relegated to a blitz round. Much less major genre awards.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think the speeches were the right length. Let’s be honest, nobody wants to listen hours upon hours of rambling about people they don’t know.

The awarded game clips could be a bit longer to celebrate the actual achievement, the game.

What they really need to lose is those endless mediocre trailers. I can’t count how many generic fantasy worlds and forgettable cartoon scifi robots I saw. It boggles the mind that there are big teams doing each one of them. And that there will be players who can muster the energy to grab the controller and play them. And for the love of god, no more Don’t Nod trailers or people
overcoming hardship doing their work.

That’s why that Chinese trailer felt so cool, it had actually creative, interesting characters.

PSYGN

I don't understand, do people care about at these shows? Seems misplaced to have them represented here.

Crayon

Seems like a good enough place to vent for a sec.

There is so much rampant negativity about these shows. If you've ever seen someone organize a fan meet or a tournament, they really care. In a selfless way. They want to spread the joy and bring people in. Show the world the pride and discipline of their hobby.

I think Jeff is sincere in trying to make this a meaningful thing for everyone. The sentiment of elevating games as as respectable art seems 100% genuine to me.

Importantly, I account for all the money and entities and politics that are going to get entwined with this endeavor. Even poison it to a degree. Welcome to the world.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's just semantics.

Geoff operates on the correct assumption that the viewers need to be the priority.

Developers wanting to bloviate at the expense of viewership are wrong. Geoff gets it.
I use to watch the MTV Movie Awards in the late 90's/2000's for the parodies and performances not so much the awards.
Now we just get speeches rambling on about shit and disturbing acts on stage.
Games Awards would be the same.
Do you really want 10 mins of Neil Druckmann thanking Anita Sarkeesian.

Last edited:
Imagine telling Sam Lake, arguably one of the greatest and most talented videogame writers and directors of all time, to fuck off after only 30 seconds and then see Geoff, Kojima and Peele circlejerking for 6 minutes over nothing. The guy flies halfway across the globe to accept your little award, for fuck's sake.
Sam Lake is a joke

If you guys want a real awards show:

TGA just needs to balance it out. Have the awards except for goty be the first hour and a half for everyone to get their speech in. Let the world premiers be the rest of the show with each Goty nomination having a 2-3 minute spotlight with the orchestra. Geoff wont do this because ad revenue will be lopsided towards the second half of the show.

Bkdk

No matter how much they hate it, TGA is still by far the best goty award for these devs if they want representation, what other goty awards even let them be present with camera shots with them sitting? They do have to satisfy the sponsors somehow. No major sites like IGN, gamespot even give them these chances. Their awards are all just online words listing out who wins what. If they really are so upset then they could fund their own game award show then.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Pompous ass Christopher Judge ruined it for all the winners this year.

I said it last year and I’ll say it every year they need to decide if it’s an announcement show or an awards show. Can’t be both. I liked it as an announcement show but I understand why people who expect an award show don’t.

Last edited:

jayj

Banned
Still not sure why people care about these award shows, even the people they are supposed to honor don't like it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The show is not a typical awards show, since most of it is marketing new games to gamers with trailers. Even one of the awards is based on gamer votes.

So it's really one part trailer hype for gamers and one part awards for industry employees.

Instead of The Game Awards show, it's more like The Games & Awards show.

Last edited:
Devs need to be put in their place. Too many websites suck them off already. Stfu, get back to work, and let the moneymakers do their stuff. Or you'll be doing database management for banking backend systems.

Last edited:

Krathoon

It is becoming like the movie awards. The celebrities and artists get the attention. No one cares about the people that actually make things work.

It has always been like this. The tech people get ripped off as far as attention goes.

Krathoon

It reminds me of this app I added enhancements to at work. Nobody said, "Hey! Great job! Thanks!" after I finished it and put it in production.

Last edited:
Seems like a good enough place to vent for a sec.

There is so much rampant negativity about these shows. If you've ever seen someone organize a fan meet or a tournament, they really care. In a selfless way. They want to spread the joy and bring people in. Show the world the pride and discipline of their hobby.

I think Jeff is sincere in trying to make this a meaningful thing for everyone. The sentiment of elevating games as as respectable art seems 100% genuine to me.

Importantly, I account for all the money and entities and politics that are going to get entwined with this endeavor. Even poison it to a degree. Welcome to the world.
even given he's being sincere, why does this 'celebration' have to be in an award based, winner/loser competition format? why not simply give, say, the top 2 dozen most popular games via game critics &/or fans, or the top 2 dozen best-selling games of the year, a single 7 minute presentation each? i mean, how did the elevation/appreciation of 'respectable art' get reduced to a 'who's better than who' contest?...

genuine art itself doesn't need, & has never needed, competitions (award shows) to somehow get validated/elevated. it's completely the other way around - without the art already there to begin with, there are no award shows... & there's no real need to reduce a celebration to a competition...

Crayon

even given he's being sincere, why does this 'celebration' have to be in an award based, winner/loser competition format? why not simply give, say, the top 2 dozen most popular games via game critics &/or fans, or the top 2 dozen best-selling games of the year, a single 7 minute presentation each? i mean, how did the elevation/appreciation of 'respectable art' get reduced to a 'who's better than who' contest?...

genuine art itself doesn't need, & has never needed, competitions (award shows) to somehow get validated/elevated. it's completely the other way around - without the art already there to begin with, there are no award shows... & there's no real need to reduce a celebration to a competition...

My answer to why award show is pretty simple and I feel confident about it: it's just copying movies/Oscars. Monkey see, monkey do. Not in itself bad, but no doubt not an overly clever strat.

My answer to why award show is pretty simple and I feel confident about it: it's just copying movies/Oscars. Monkey see, monkey do. Not in itself bad, but no doubt not an overly clever strat.
of course they're just copying. but cultures that reduce art to competitions are in no way elevating, or making respectable, anything. they're actually just reducing human imagination & creativity to 'yeah, but who's best?'...

Success

Let them cry.

The Game Awards = Winter E3.

E3 was about putting on a spectacle and being a meme generator. (Summer Games Fest is doing an alright job)

DICE is the E3 for gaming devs. It has no fanfare, just a focus on the great work that people do.

People want the game awards to be more like DICE instead of an E3.

Hardly anyone watches DICE talks and I can't think of a single meme that took the hivemind by storm.

DJ12

Stop complaining and reveal your big guns at the show, maybe then he wouldnt have to bring celebs on stage. Fucking EA showing up with an indie remake. Sony with some free DLC.
Clues in the name, its not the game announcement show, just because MS see the need to use it as an advert because their games don't get nominated doesn't mean everyone should.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
of course they're just copying. but cultures that reduce art to competitions are in no way elevating, or making respectable, anything. they're actually just reducing human imagination & creativity to 'yeah, but who's best?'...

Which is totally fine, since there is competition within creatives. Just because someone doesn't win, means they are a loser. Most creatives know just being nominated for an award is a win.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
30 seconds is indeed a but steep. I think they should give em a minute or so but that’s it.

Why is everyone surprised? Don’t the people usually prepare acceptance speeches?

Which is totally fine, since there is competition within creatives. Just because someone doesn't win, means they are a loser. Most creatives know just being nominated for an award is a win.
well, maybe i just haven't spent as much time as you obviously have around these 'creatives' of whom you speak...

Z O N E

5 minutes max for GOTY speech.

1/2 minutes max for everyone else's speech.

Remove the fluff that no one gives a damn about and voila, there you have it.

Top Bottom