• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers that have never made a "bad game"

smr00

Banned
Many people aren't aware that Naughty Dog made (bad) games before Crash Bandicoot.
Like i said in my post, i am strictly referring to Playstation era ND.

smh at people mentioning Naughty Dog they clearly did not play Jak II
Are you trying to say that Jak 2 is a bad game? Because that's completely subjective, and it did really well from a critic standpoint.

Dang0

HarmoKnight is pretty great.

They did make this game though, which got pretty negative reviews.

Yoshi_game_cover.jpg
Yoshi_for_NES_screenshot.png

Got this game on VC for 30 cents, and I really like it, nice little 5 minute game.

smr00

Banned
Jak II is a lot more closer to be a bad game than a great game.

Anyway, Valve for me too.
Again, subjective.

I really, really enjoy it as did a ton of other people and a lot of critics. No matter what company you list, there are going to be people who find a game that is bad to them. To me, TF2 was shit compared to the original, felt more like TF HD remake. But that's subjective, millions love it.

Zweisy1

SquareSoft.

Can't agree with this though they were a really strong developer in the 16/32 bit era. They had such a big game output there were plenty of bad games in there as well. Chocobo Racing on PS1 anyone?

For me it would be:

Remedy: Death Rally, Max Payne and Alan Wake are all quality. Strong tech, polished game mechanics and more ambitious storytelling than most games attempt to do.

EAD Tokyo: As much as I was disappointed by the reveal of Super Mario 3D World as the next big Mario game, Im sure its gonna be an incredible well made and fun game like everything they've made so far. Also, DK Jungle Beat was awesome.

CD Project Red: Yeah I know its only 2 games so far but these guys obviously care about the quality of their games.

Housemarque: Best developer of downloadable games at the moment in my opinion.

Cave: I dont know about their non shmup output but all their shooters are brilliant if a little samey.

charsace

Like i said in my post, i am strictly referring to Playstation era ND.

Are you trying to say that Jak 2 is a bad game? Because that's completely subjective, and it did really well from a critic standpoint.

How can you exclude games that they made? Do you want to list them that badly?

GhaleonQ

80% of the time they made great games 100% of the time?

Look, it's just important that struggling developers get mentioned here so that people will play their games and kick them a little cash. Stop being hard on him.

I haven't played either puzzle game of theirs, but the spinoff one looks pretty rank. Otherwise, that's 1 I would have listed. http://insomnia.ac/reviews/pcb/mushihimetama/review.php That's from the well-known fansite.

Considering that -- "which developer hasn't made any "bad" games" is pointless, since the amount of games should absolutely be considered.

Well, then the title is just "consistent developers," which has been discussed elsewhere. I don't think it's implied that they're better. The topic just brings light to how hard it is to do.

Most may disagree with me but I'd say CyberConnect2 has not made a "bad" game. Their games aren't GOTY or anything, but they definitely aren't bad.

I'd have to disagree with the OP though, The Witcher was absolute dogshit. I hate that fucking game so much. Awful.

Eh, if The Witcher has plummeted that far for you, the bad-to-mediocre entries in the .hack franchise have to be dropped there as well. Asura's Wrath is more divisive than The Witcher series. However, they actually have been more consistent than I'd have thought.

Also, now I really want to replay Silent Bomber.

Cheech

Blizzard
Bethesda
Valve
Looking Glass
Irrational Games
Bioware (pre EA, I don't consider them the same dev)
Frictional Games (Amnesia guys, insane talent)
Jon Blow
Almost Human (Grimrock)
DICE

That's all I got off the top of my head.

The question is, if a publisher cancels a game because it is bad, did the developer make a bad game? Or if a publisher decides that a game the developer is making is too flawed for release, and forces them to change the game against their will, and those changes make it a great game, did the developer make a good game?

I ask because this is basically Retro, a company many people are bringing up. Nintendo has canceled at least 5 games Retro has been working on, some due to quality issues, and of course Nintendo came in and totally changed Metroid Prime in mid-development because it just wasn't turning out good, and Miyamoto forced changes upon them that the team disagreed with (most notably making them change the game to first-person), to the point that the producer quit.

mdtauk

Nintendo EAD is awesome.
But Wii Music IS crap.

I had fun "playing" it. If it had been priced at around £10 then it would have sold much better. The problem with most of the Wii _____ games, were that they were re-packaged tech demos, but priced in the same bracket as the Mario Galaxy and Zelda games...

tearsofash

I actually kind of enjoyed Way of the Warrior. It has an awesome soundtrack and is fun to play with friends. Still a bad game, though.

Bad is so subjective a lot of the time, unless the game was/is just completely terrible and doesn't work.

But what if the goal was to make a "bad" game?

Also, none of you know what games have never been announced, maybe jammed out at developers that could potentially be pretty bad.

Blizzard
Bethesda
Valve
Looking Glass
Irrational Games
Bioware (pre EA, I don't consider them the same dev)
Frictional Games (Amnesia guys, insane talent)
Jon Blow
Almost Human (Grimrock)
DICE

That's all I got off the top of my head.

I like your list. Not sure I can say Valve has developed enough games, same for Blow. Loved Looking glass from the madden days.

OH yeah almost forgot. AM fucking 2. Yu and his boys helped push so many different genres!
Reaching -- Daytona
Fighters -- VF and the mash ups in Fighters Megamix
Open world -- shenmue

Hardware was designed around this Dev... Awesome stuff!

Forsythia

Monolith Productions. Sure, they made some mediocre games, but none of them are bad. I love me some Blood, NOLF, Shogo, Tron 2.0, FEAR, Condemned...

Top Bottom