• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers |OT| DOOMed to fight in hell's arena (90s-inspired eldritch shooter)

If you're worried about the sound, you can easily mute the audio in the game and just play your own music

The game's sound design becomes absolutely critical once you cross the 40sec mark.

Got up to 130 before the centipede blindsided me. I think I'm just going to start gifting this game to people on my friend's list.

*edit* 162! Fuck the sense of progression is so good in this.

Platy

somehow missed that you tap the fire you get a shotgun .... so now killing horned skulls became much more easy.

That made me go from 60 seconds to 63 =P

That spider still completly bugs my game

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've been having good luck bouncing the automatic rifle shots off the floor and into the skulls.

This game is hot. Glad I got it. I normally dislike these "micro" games, but the art mixed with the classic fps controls keeps me coming back.

In a perfect world, the pace of the game would be balanced or "spread out" so the absolute best player could play a single round for like 30 minutes straight instead of-- what is it now-- 7-8 minutes. But that's just my arcade game heritage talking.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
^If people already had a 30 min run it wouldn't be hard enough the game just came out

low-G

I think the game speed is appropriate for what the game is. Geometry Wars has a longer play time, but the first minute or two is usually super chill. I like that in Devil Daggers if you're not doing the right stuff in the first 5 seconds you're setting yourself up for a slightly harder time later.

Anyways, I'm up to 155 seconds after 4 hours of play. Loving it.

Stevey

I still keep fucking up as soon as the spider arrives, think my problem is I haven't quite killed all the skulls before hand, so while I'm concentrating on killing the spider so it doesn't steal my upgrades, I let the skulls get me.
The furthest I've managed to get is 87 so far IIRC.
Haven't managed to get an upgrade yet.

Nzyme32

Holy Shit!!

I somehow completely missed this. It's pretty damn incredible how much it seems like Doom. Haven't had that feeling in such a long time.

The sound design is impeccable! My only criticism is that I want more

Holy Shit!!

I somehow completely missed this. It's pretty damn incredible how much it seems like Doom. Haven't had that feeling in such a long time.

The sound design is impeccable! My only criticism is that I want more

More like Quake 1. The movement, the atmosphere etc

Stevey

Finally got the first upgrade, killed the spider. Lasted a second longer :p

Made it to 102.
Can get the first upgrade consistently now.
It gets so intense.
537F130E797BF7151251C6AED6C8773735077786

sheaaaa

Anyone playing with anything other than M+KB? I started the game using Steam Controller and wasn't doing very well; never felt like I was in control or knew where I was.

Booted it up with M+KB today (a control scheme that I almost never use, always prefer a controller) and beat my high score immediately.

I fucking adore this game so much. Totally addicted to it at the moment. Currently sitting at 53rd!

7Mopn1V.png

The sound design is absolutely incredible too.

I'm only up to 98 seconds or so but I absolutely love this game haha. It is way too much fun and I definitely have that drive to want to get better!

Just made it to around 161 seconds, things go much, much smoother once you get the upgrade. The game is addicting as hell, and the aesthetic is amazing as well. The purity of the concept is fantastic. I hope this game is successful so the developers can build on this.

I hope this game is successful so the developers can build on this.

At least one of the devs (the only dev?) also works at Hitbox Team, who did Dustforce and are working a new project, Spire. This was maybe a side project? Hell of a side project, if so.

Only once I've gotten to 100+ seconds, and can't even get past 70ish now :mad: Good lord is it intense. I keep going through the same arc of loading it up, doing alright, getting pissed off, doing worse, stabilizing, doing better, and then plateauing until I quit. The sound design is incredible! I love and hate this game.

For some reason I keep getting new high scores when playing WITHOUT sound on quick breaks. Hit 164 just now. It seems counter intuitive but no sound might be making me hyper aware of spawn times and forcing me to look around more?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Eventually I will get that 40 second part down when the spider spawns. Sometimes I'm lucky but I let way too many towers stay standing at that moment so my best is 73 seconds so far.

Kamina777

Banned
Once they release levels with an actual ending i'll be all over it. I'm amazed the art design manages to surprise and unerve despite how much I have proffessed Lovecrafts concepts have been aped to the point of parody (wait..bloated tentacled ape with a thousand glowing eyes? I'm copyrighting that!)

I've been having good luck bouncing the automatic rifle shots off the floor and into the skulls.
Useful when they're on the ground cause of the spread and don't have to worry about not catching all of them in a normal spray motion if some are not quite on level.

Wunder

HOLY FUCK. Just had an insane run after bashing my head against the centipede for perhaps over 2 hours. My previous best was around 206s.

PBvL2rn.jpg

Xyber

Bought it last night, 3 hours of playtime and I have made it to 195 seconds now.

Game is great, but damn does it get hectic around there.

Kyuur

Was really excited thinking this had a Doom-esque campaign with those visuals, but its just a survival arena. :/ Oh well.

theRizzle

If anyone is looking to populate their leaderboard, please add me. I've only got 2 friends playing and one of them is Wunder so that's like not fair and stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/smuguire

Only played for 15 minutes but I can tell I'll be hitting this hard for a while. I'm at 71 seconds and want to try a few more times blind before I start watching other players.

I bought this on impulse last weekend, knowing nothing about it apart from having seen a quick video. The old-school visual style instantly appealed to me, though I was a bit skeptical about it only having one mode. But I figured, hey, at only $5, what's the the worst that could happen? This game came out of nowhere for me, and it's amazing. It's just such so incredibly well put together. The low-fi aesthetic, the weird enemy design, the creepy ambient audio that signals their approach, hell, even the way you can watch any replay from the leaderboards. Sure, it seems simple on the face of it, but every aspect of this game has obviously been carefully thought out and polished, and it's great. I was just playing it a few minutes earlier, and I literally giggled out loud like a schoolgirl when I beat my previous record time. The high you get from lasting even a fraction of a second longer than you did on a previous replay is fantastic.

Was really excited thinking this had a Doom-esque campaign with those visuals, but its just a survival arena. :/ Oh well.

Don't dismiss it because of that! I nearly made the same mistake, and I'm glad I didn't. There's only a single arena mode currently, yes, but there's some real complexity and strategy to the gameplay.

theRizzle

I bought this on impulse last weekend, knowing nothing about it apart from having seen a quick video. The old-school visual style instantly appealed to me, though I was a bit skeptical about it only having one mode. But I figured, hey, at only $5, what's the the worst that could happen? This game came out of nowhere for me, and it's amazing. It's just such so incredibly well put together. The low-fi aesthetic, the weird enemy design, the creepy ambient audio that signals their approach, hell, even the way you can watch any replay from the leaderboards. Sure, it seems simple on the face of it, but every aspect of this game has obviously been carefully thought out and polished, and it's great. I was just playing it a few minutes earlier, and I literally giggled out loud like a schoolgirl when I beat my previous record time. The high you get from lasting even a fraction of a second longer than you did on a previous replay is fantastic.

That's what I love about it as well. I just beat my previous best time by .4 seconds and I am thrilled... now to get past 80 seconds!

Wunder

If anyone is looking to populate their leaderboard, please add me. I've only got 2 friends playing and one of them is Wunder so that's like not fair and stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/smuguire

Only played for 15 minutes but I can tell I'll be hitting this hard for a while. I'm at 71 seconds and want to try a few more times blind before I start watching other players.

Aw I was excited thinking there was someone new to add! Keep going I believe in you!

Thulius

Hitting a major wall with the spider/centipede combo around 120s. Is there a trick to keeping the centipede out longer so I can focus the spider first? I've seen it submerge as early as 126s and as late as 134s. It's a huge disparity and everything else is so intricately designed that I really want to believe it's not just random.

Top Bottom