• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil may cry 1 has aged terribly.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm not big into character action games, but even at it's release, I didn't think DmC 1 deserved all the accolades. It was stylish as hell and it was fun, but I never really delved deep into the combo system and as a filthy casual, that story was laughably bad. I think I played it more trying to understand why it was being so highly touted than actually enjoying my time with it. After beating it once, I never touched it again.

I'm def. not the target audience though and accept that the games not really meant for my tastes. I enjoyed DmC3 more, tough as it was and enjoyed the 360 version of DmC4. Haven't touched the series since then though.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Never believed in the phrase "didn't age well". Either those were always issues that you previously ignored or you've become spoiled by things that were always going to get better, and go back expecting those things in older games. Like no shit it doesn't have as many moves, it was the first game. Everyone knew the camera was bad, it's one of the biggest complaints against the game even back then. Did anyone play this game for the story? You go into older games KNOWING these issues exist.

I don't go back and Perfect Dark not expect terrible frame rates, blurry graphics and the N64 controller. I go in expecting to get use to those issues like I did before(yes I know there is the 360 version).
Yes, this is typically what people mean when they say a game has "aged", but it gets the point across.
Once a mechanic has been drastically improved upon, and players grow a tolerance to it, older games do seem to "age" in a poor way. What was once tolerable, accepted, or even fun no longer is due to innovation and tolerance.

I don't think it's necessary to look at it as players being "spoiled" or that they "expect" things they shouldn't. That almost makes it sound like you are calling people entitled for not enjoying games with dated mechanics.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

In retrospective, games that had DMC as an inspiration such as the original God of War, actually aged better.
An absolutely disgusting take.
God of War is the very definition of flash over substance, press X to win, with zero challenge. None. Its impossible to revisit.
DMC has challenge and actually requires a bit of skill. Most shit tier gamers cant get past the beginning spider boss in DMC1.

DMC 1 also still has the best atmosphere/environments of the series. The gameplay really took off in 3 but the foundation was there for 1.

tkscz

Yes, this is typically what people mean when they say a game has "aged", but it gets the point across.
Once a mechanic has been drastically improved upon, and players grow a tolerance to it, older games do seem to "age" in a poor way. What was once tolerable, accepted, or even fun no longer is due to innovation and tolerance.

I don't think it's necessary to look at it as players being "spoiled" or that they "expect" things they shouldn't. That almost makes it sound like you are calling people entitled for not enjoying games with dated mechanics.

I mean it more as a lack of memory of what issues were always there. Rose tinted glasses I believe is the saying.

Couldn't think of a better way of putting it when I made that post, but I tend to see people compare older less refined mechanics to newer ones and never understood the point of it. Using the word spoiled was harsh I admit that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After playing Demon's Souls remake I tried played Dark Souls 1 Remaster and I couldn't do it. It's hard to go backwards now. The jump is always bigger than it feels.
Are you talking about its graphics? because the combat and the boss fights is much better in Dark Souls. Demon's Souls has lots of gimmick fights thats only fun first playthrough.

Top Bottom