• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 2: What happened?

I just recently started getting into the DMC games. I had heard from various sources and friends that DMC2 was awful. I had a hard time believing they could screw up this bad after such an excellent DMC1. But oh boy... I wasn't ready for this I guess.

So the question is: What happened? Was there ever a known reason as to why DMC2 was this bad? Was it handled to a different dev team? Or were the key members of DMC1 working on something else? Smaller budget? Abuse of drugs? Pure mental insanity?

Gattsu25

Banned
DMC2 is not created to be a Devil May Cry game, it was another game before Capcom was all like: Hey, let's stick Dante in there! they didn't even bother giving Dante a reason to be a main character...the dude says like...4 lines the entire game

Lack of Mikami? :lol:lol:lol

f@luS

More than a member.
even if DMC 2 isnt as good as some pple wanted it to be , its still better than 90% of the other action game , pple are too hard on it.

I enjoyed it , not a lot but still enough

Yoboman

Gold Member
Gattsu25 said:
DMC2 is not created to be a Devil May Cry game, it was another game before Capcom was all like: Hey, let's stick Dante in there! they didn't even bother giving Dante a reason to be a main character...the dude says like...4 lines the entire game

Lack of Mikami? :lol:lol:lol
Is this true? Wow I never even knew that

Gattsu25 said:
DMC2 is not created to be a Devil May Cry game, it was another game before Capcom was all like: Hey, let's stick Dante in there!

I find that very hard to believe. It's obvious that the game is running on the same engine as DMC1. And games nowadays are something that are thoroughly planned way in advance. Halfway through a project, you can't just go "hey let's just stick Dante in there!" Everything else in the game would have to change too. The game still has so many DMC elements that I find it hard to believe it started as another game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I didn't actually play much of it, but what I did play would have been okay if it wasn't so amazingly easy.

So I think DMC2 was killed by trying to be acessable to everyone (easy), when a DMC game really needs to be a hardcore action title instead.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Zenith said:
didn't the same guy who did DMC2 do DMC3 which is the best of the series?

I was under the impression that the team that worked on DMC2 was not exactly the same as the one which worked on DMC3.

Devil May Cry said:
Director Hideki Kamiya
Producer Shinji Mikami
Voice - Dante Drew Coombs
Voice - Trish/Eva Sarah Lafleur
Voice - Nelo Angelo David Keeley
Voice - Mundus Tony Daniels
Voice - Phantom/Griffon Howard Jerome
Voice - Young Dante/Young Vergil Jonathan Mallen
Composer Masami Ueda
Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi

Devil May Cry 2 said:
Voice - Dante Matthew Kaminsky
Voice - Matier Flo Di Re
Voice - Argosax Sherman Howard
Director Hideaki Itsuno
Writer Katsuya Akitomo
Producer Tsuyoshi Tanaka
Producer Katsuhiro Sudo
Executive Producer Noritaka Funamizu
Executive Producer Yoshiki Okamoto

Devil May Cry 3 said:
Producer Tsuyoshi Tanaka
Action Director Yuji Shimomura
Game Director Hideaki Itsuno
Art Director Daigo Ikeno
Sound Director Wataru Hachisako
Movie Director Yuji Shimomura
Composer Tetsuya Shibata
Movie Producer Shinji Shinohara
Movie Producer Takayasu Yanagihara
Head of Translation Ben Judd
Motion Capture Stephanie Cheeva
Devil Illustrations Kazuma Kaneko
Dante's Voice Actor Dave Wittenburg
Planner Bingo Morihashi
Voice Actor - Vergil Dan Southworth
Lady Voice Actor Stephanie Cheeva
Arkham/Jester's Voice Actor Adam D. Clerk
Voice actor for all monsters Larry Leong
Executive Producer Tatsuya Minami

Feindflug

wsippel said:
Lack of Mikami happened I think. Which is why I'm only cautiously optimistic for DMC4.

What? DMC3 was a freakin' amazing game and there was still "lack of Mikami" so why are you cautiously optimistic for DMC4?

only redeeming value of DMC2 is THE best Dante design in the series

devil_may_cry_2_2_1024.jpeg

wsippel

Banned
Feindflug said:
What? DMC3 was a freakin' amazing game and there was still "lack of Mikami" so why are you cautiously optimistic for DMC4?
Sorry, I was under the impression that Mikami worked on DMC3 again. Well, good to know. I still get a bad vibe from DMC4, can't really nail why - but I'm slightly more optimistic now. :)

Steroyd

So the question is: What happened? Was there ever a known reason as to why DMC2 was this bad? Was it handled to a different dev team? Or were the key members of DMC1 working on something else? Smaller budget? Abuse of drugs? Pure mental insanity?

That's exactly it. :lol

I think what happened was that they N00bified it to welcome in the people new to the series, but like Comic/game to movie conversions it's that very n00bification that wrecks what you were anticipating if your familiar with said franchise.

And whoever thought a machine gun was a good weapon for Dante to have in the game should be shot literally instead of rapidly pressing Square i could now hold that button with bosses and makes them so frustratingly easy and unfulfilled especially when you max it out.

The plot was another one, it was like Dante was in an alternate dimension I kept feeling sorry for poor Trish who he left behind at his shop to keep the store clean or something.

I personally thought it would have to do something spectacular to f*** up the sequel to DMC1 and they somehow achieved it.

BUT... saying that DMC3 is a return to form and is eagerly awaiting DMC4. :D

I thought the game was pretty good and playable. I think I got to the oil rig before my friend asked me to return his copy. So yea DMC fanboys are pretty dense "OMG HEAVENLY SWORD SUCKS, GOW SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH"

BocoDragon

Doom_Bringer said:
I thought the game was pretty good and playable. I think I got to the oil rig before my friend asked me to return his copy. So yea DMC fanboys are pretty dense "OMG HEAVENLY SWORD SUCKS, GOW SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH"

I get it... DMC2 is good because DMC fanboys are dense.... gotcha.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
What are you guys talking about? There was no Devil May Cry 2. They just skipped right to 3.

BocoDragon said:
I get it... DMC2 is good because DMC fanboys are dense.... gotcha.

There are far more crappier games on the market to be complaining about DMC2. It was by no means a bad game at all even compared to DMC1

BocoDragon

Doom_Bringer said:
There are far more crappier games on the market to be complaining about DMC2. It was by no means a bad game at all even compared to DMC1
Yes, it was playable. It was also so broken that it was easy. That made it boring.

But yeah it wasn't the worst piece of trash... just a disappointing follow-up to a very challenging and respected game.

I had trouble getting into DMC1 but I actually liked DMC2. The locales were more memorable as well, like the boss fight in the train station, climbing the huge building, the oil rig etc...

More accessible than DMC1

I can't find the article, but DMC2 was originally suppose to be a completely different game. It was more than halfway complete but Capcom wasn't satisfied with the result, so they decided to add Dante in it and create a DMC sequel. Hideki Kamiya, DMC Creator, wasn't involved in this game.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Doom_Bringer said:
I had trouble getting into DMC1 but I actually liked DMC2. The locales were more memorable as well, like the boss fight in the train station, climbing the huge building, the oil rig etc...

More accessible than DMC1
Eugh... You have TERRIBLE taste

Yoboman said:
Eugh... You have TERRIBLE taste

err DMC is all about gameplay... honestly I am not really into the demonic story lines so the series doesn't interest me at all. I prefer good presentation, art, music and it is ok for the gameplay to be somewhat shallow. That's why I like God of War, Heavenly Swords etc more than DMC

Yoboman

Gold Member
Doom_Bringer said:
err DMC is all about gameplay... honestly I am not really into the demonic story lines so the series doesn't interest me at all. I prefer good presentation, art, music and it is ok for the gameplay to be somewhat shallow. That's why I like God of War, Heavenly Swords etc more than DMC
The presentation and gameplay were at it's absolute worst in DMC2. It's only accessible if you consider accessability to be completely broken, gameplay that simple isn't fun.

DMC was accessible in the first place, part of what made it so good. Then it had a learning curve and enemies that required you to use some essence of skill against. DMC2 offered none of that. Maybe you like games spoon fed to you

And the art in DMC2 was horrible. Flesh tanks, generic burning buildings, weirdo Spanish people and completely inconsistent design throughout the game. I tried to erase most of it from my memory though, I watched a friend play through it infact because it was simply unplayable. The last boss seemed cool though. DMC1 had beautiful gothic designs throughout the castle, and all the enemy designs were great too - from Dante down to the marionettes.

You think people were dissapointed for no reason?

Senretsu

I remember reading that the DMC1 team was working on......Viewtiful Joe... while DMC2 was handed to some different people.

Let's save the thread, shall we?

1) Mikami's absence as 'executive producer' can never be known as to whether or not DMC2 sucked or not. However, it's important to realize that as a director -- Mikami's foray into action titles resulted in Pn03 and God Hand, two games that can't compare to DMC and DMC3's critical and commercial success.

2) Hideaki Itsuno and Tsuyoshi Tanaka came onboard the DMC2 project mid-way through development. I dont know about you, but changing the producer and director mid-way through a project isn't the best idea.

3) According to Hideki Kamiya, the go ahead for the "untitled action game to follow DMC1" occured before even DMC1 was finished. So this new team didn't even know that the elements that DMC1 were memorable were the very same elements they wanted to take away (close quartered combat, since of urgency, high level of challenge, Dante's persona etc. etc. etc.)

4) The project was changed. It was not a DMC sequal at it's beginning. It was rather an action game utilizing the DMC1 engine that starred some female bitch. (ever wonder why the story had more to do with Lucia than Dante, and that Dante had two lines, and that the only story relevance DMC2 had to the DMC univese was the art pic in the menu of Ebony and Ivory? Or why Lucia actually had more 'moves' and 'depth' than Dante himself? They wanted to make an action game that utilized DMC1's R&D but it wasn't meant to be a DMC game, however -- after DMC1's immense success right out the gate, management wanted to change it to a DMC sequal, they changed staff accordingly and brought in DMC3's director to so. I'd imagine any and all decent aspects DMC2 had was what Itsuno could salvage in less than a years development time. Imagine trying to make the sequal to the father of modern action games in less than year...yeah, DMC2 would be the outcome.

5) When asked about the quality of Tsuyoshi Tanaka's "producer" skills (to be blunt), the ever so open and 99.9% descriptive Ben Judd resonded with an ever so suprising "uh...no comment there."

6) There were many more Studio 4 staffers involved with DMC3. DMC2 was entirely a Production Studio 1 game which until this point, had very little experience with 3D games outside of Powerstone.

didn't most of the DMC1 team go on to make Viewtiful Joe 1

The DMC1 team is and was the best team Capcom had ever put together. They came straight off of Capcom's "other best game ever made" [resident evil 2] and went straight to DMC1 (their first next-gen game project at the time). The team consisted of:

Shinji Mikami (exec. producer) -- now freelance for Capcom
Keiji Inafune (exec. producer and GD of all R&D) -- now capcom's poster boy
Hiroyuki Kobayashi (producer) -- currently producing DMC4, high off RE4's success.
Makato Tschuyibasa (lead art designer) -- did some art for Basara, current project unknown.
Hideki Kamiya (director) - all star director, moved to Clover, keeps having his beautiful franchises butchered with shitty sequals (Resident Evil 3, Devil May Cry 2, Viewtiful Joe 2 etc.) left Clover with Inaba.
Masami Ueda (composer) - now current project unknown, truthfully I don't even know if he's still with Capcom, considering how he was all buddy buddy with Kamiya (he's been the main composer of ever Kamiya game) I'd imagine he left Capcom/clover with Kamiya and Inaba.
Astushi Inaba (lead programmer) - went to head clover, now left Capcom with Kamiya

DMC1 had all of Capcom's best talent working on the same project. After DMC1 was done, half of them went to make Viewtiful Joe, and the other half went to make Resident Evil 4.

Pachinko

To answer the question- Capcom shit the bed, like diarhea all over style shit.

Basically it was too easy to be fun and too boring to be worth playing on hard. It's a damn shame they ruined both whatever the game was originally and screwed up a franchise at the same time.

mollipen

AtomicShroom said:
And games nowadays are something that are thoroughly planned way in advance. Halfway through a project, you can't just go "hey let's just stick Dante in there!" Everything else in the game would have to change too. The game still has so many DMC elements that I find it hard to believe it started as another game.

You mean like how the original Devil May Cry started off as a Resident Evil title? Or RE4 went through like three major versions before becomming what it is now?

Top Bottom