• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Blader

Just started playing. Quick question: do I get the Human achievements if I'm playing on Devil Hunter? For example, if I get the "All missions cleared on Devil Hunter" achievement, will it also automatically unlock the "all missions cleared on Human" achievement too?

Narag

Blader5489 said:
Just started playing. Quick question: do I get the Human achievements if I'm playing on Devil Hunter? For example, if I get the "All missions cleared on Devil Hunter" achievement, will it also automatically unlock the "all missions cleared on Human" achievement too?

No.
Human missions don't take long when replaying with an enhanced skillset though.

Draft

Blader5489 said:
No.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Let this thread die, please :/.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I foresaw a boring saturday so I rented this game this morning and played through it on Human in one sitting.

Pretty good game. I really enjoyed it. I didn't want it to be challenging so I just went with the lowest difficulty.

Nero was suprisingly fun to play. About equal to Dante.

My problem with it is that they didn't really do the Dante part well at all. It was still fun, but it sort of became a bit of an annoyance to just get back into the story.

Overall though, good game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Narag said:
2d17038.jpg

It's time for the LTTP threads...

J2d

I'm trying to S rank some of the last missions on DMD and I'd appreciate some tips on how to deal with blitz and sanctus. I can't royal block worth a damn so that's out of the question when it comes to blitz and sanctus just teleports around all the time like the annoying cunt he is. There must be something I'm missing here.

My take on the game is that pretty much everything except the combat could have been done better. At first I didn't appreciate nero that much but he has grown on me to the point that I prefer him over dante, a lot.

Lince

Banned
J2d said:
My take on the game is that pretty much everything except the combat could have been done better. At first I didn't appreciate nero that much but he has grown on me to the point that I prefer him over dante, a lot.

same here mate. I beat Bloody Palace with both Nero/Dante and I got S in every mission until DMD mission 16 because then I just got bored of the game forcing you to play Dante against enemies clearly designed to be tackled with Nero. They should have delayed the game to include Dante's own levels with enemies and bosses designed for his strenghts and shortcomings, as it's today Dante is way more fun to play in DMC3. Ah well here's hope for DMC5.

J2d

Yea I pretty much hate dante's missions now.The jungle missions are the worst offenders, having to deal with the mutated creeps and those floor creatures.

sneaky77

My only issue was stage 19, because I thought it was kinda lame.. other than that I really enjoyed the game, but I wasn't expecting anything different than what it was really.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
J2d said:
Yea I pretty much hate dante's missions now.The jungle missions are the worst offenders, having to deal with the mutated creeps and those floor creatures.

Dante fucking rocks that shit was easy as hell with Dante man I had more trouble with fucking Nero than I did with Dante.

Feindflug

J2d said:

Yep fighting lizardmen, a Blitz and having also to deal with all these f*ckin' annoying floor creatures at the same time was really hard for me while getting stuck in some freakin' "platforms"- the jungle levels with Dante are the worst moments in the game IMO.

painey said:
i wish i had motivation to finish this, but no mid game saves mean i never really want to start playing.

DMC4 is not like DMC3.

The threat of dying is extremely small especially on human mode. Furthermore, there is a checkpoint before each boss fight.

As for mid mission saving simply because you want to continue a mission the next day or something -- the missions shouldn't take more than 30 minutes?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I avoided this thread to avoid spoilers but the story was pretty simple for the most part. x_x

The past few days I finally pushed myself to finish this up and tonight finally did! Human Mode not unlocking Bloody Palace makes me sad! Cause there's noooo way I'ma touch Devil Hunter Mode x_X The last boss had my dying and continuing for like a hour! Sure I didn't use any items but still! Easy mode final bosses in DMC & DMC3 were much much not so darn hard! Oh and I finished with 9 accomplishments lol.

Loved Nero and totally missed playing as him when using Dante mostly cause using the buster grab to "fly" around was fun and helped speed things up. I also missed Dante's twin blade weapons from 3 cause those were like my fave. Was super happy to have access to all weapons instead of just two each though 3 instead of 2 isn't much of a difference it still counts. Getting around the levels wasn't to bad though I did have a faq at hand (somehow I still got lost a couple times anyway)! Is the dice game random or something? I didn't mind it at first but near the end it kept being cruel!

Anyway I don't get the backlash but then I'm not hardcore or whatever. I had fun and liked it as much as the other 2 DMC games and thats good enough for me!

Lindsay said:
The past few days I finally pushed myself to finish this up and tonight finally did! Human Mode not unlocking Bloody Palace makes me sad!

I just beat it on Human mode too. The dice game was horrible!!! WTF Capcom. It would of have been nice to have Dante levels and not play Dante in levels for Nero. It did come off as a cheap way to extend the length of the game. And don't get me started on fighting the flying thing in Mission 18 I think with all the orbs to shoot out.

Narag

george21000 said:
I just beat it on Human mode too. The dice game was horrible!!! WTF Capcom. It would of have been nice to have Dante levels and not play Dante in levels for Nero. It did come off as a cheap way to extend the length of the game. And don't get me started on fighting the flying thing in Mission 18 I think with all the orbs to shoot out.

Mission 18 ends up being pretty freeform as you're left to discover how to approach the situation best. I think the first time it took me 30-40 minutes, maybe even an hour, but by the time DMC4 winded down for me it was like 8-12 minutes? Maybe less.

striKeVillain! said:
I gave up on this game a week after it came out. I just couldn't beat Dante the second time. I'll go back to it in the summer maybe.

Are you playing the game on automatic on? While it's interesting to put on for the first mission or so for newcomers, it actually makes the game harder on the later missions as the game gets harder.

Dammit, my friend across the state has had my copy of the game for two months now, and the video made me crave some action gaming goodness. I've been playing through the God of War games again but it just isn't the same.

Yoshichan

a Master Ninja said:
Dammit, my friend across the state has had my copy of the game for two months now, and the video made me crave some action gaming goodness. I've been playing through the God of War games again but it just isn't the same.
I love God of War but in terms of combat depth, it has NOTHING against NG and DMC.

Draft

a Master Ninja said:
I can't believe you don't already own it.

Draft

a Master Ninja said:
I think you misunderstand. I own DMC4, I beat it twice, then my friend who lives far away asked to borrow it and I stupidly said yes.
:lol ok, I figured there was something I was missing. I'm like this dude's in the action elite but he's getting his fix with God of War?

Seiken said:
Interesting video. Worth the bump IMO :).

I figured you've already seen them all. Granted, I have pretty much fell off the DMC4 map after beating the game on DMD -- even gaming in general since 1st year of med school started. I probably only stop by on here once a week.

It is good to see a shit load of combo videos for DMC4 out there.

In fact, I gave my 360 to my little cousin. Looks like I won't be playing much of anything for the rest of the year.

Yoshichan

C- Warrior said:
I figured you've already seen them all. Granted, I have pretty much fell off the DMC4 map after beating the game on DMD -- even gaming in general since 1st year of med school started. I probably only stop by on here once a week.

It is good to see a shit load of combo videos for DMC4 out there.

In fact, I gave my 360 to my little cousin. Looks like I won't be playing much of anything for the rest of the year.
Really, I haven't been searching for DMC4 combo vids on the net :). I've been too busy actually trying to do one! If you've got someone to play DMC4 with, it adds a lot to the experience. I do that and it's extremely fun :)

bigswords

Yay me! This is my first Devil May Cry and I completed. Didn't know it was addictive to keep an enemy up in the air and then smash him to the ground.

I'm quite lost with Dante style moves I just keep to his Swordmaster and Gun shooting style for most of the time. The trickster style is only used for quick evades. But I have no idea what does the royalguard style do?

Ohh at the end
There's a timer when the credits go by, if you successfully protected Tris from getting hurt, the bonus is we get to see a movie on Dante getting another call?

Yoshichan

Oh and the topic got bumped again... sigh. Here come's the DMC4-hate!

bigswords said:
Ohh at the end
There's a timer when the credits go by, if you successfully protected you Tris from getting hurt, the bonus is we get to see a movie on Dante getting another call?
Yes.

bigswords

Seiken said:
Oh and the topic got bumped again... sigh. Here come's the DMC4-hate!

Yes.

It's a fun game, don't care what the haters say.

Awesome I'm going to try Devil Hunter mode now hehe... still have plenty of time to burn till MGS4.

Yoshichan

bigswords said:
It's a fun game, don't care what the haters say.

Awesome I'm going to try Devil Hunter mode now hehe... still have plenty of time to burn till MGS4.
You played on Human :(? Oh well, as long as you enjoyed it.

bigswords

Seiken said:
You played on Human :(? Oh well, as long as you enjoyed it.

Yeah I know I"m getting old, weird thing is I can play console FPS on the hardest difficulty level. But these kind of combo games, damn my fingers :(

Defuser

bigswords said:
Yay me! This is my first Devil May Cry and I completed. Didn't know it was addictive to keep an enemy up in the air and then smash him to the ground.

I'm quite lost with Dante style moves I just keep to his Swordmaster and Gun shooting style for most of the time. The trickster style is only used for quick evades. But I have no idea what does the royalguard style do?

Ohh at the end
There's a timer when the credits go by, if you successfully protected Tris from getting hurt, the bonus is we get to see a movie on Dante getting another call?
Royal Guard like it's name suggested blocks enemy's attacks by parrying. Parrying attacks builds up the rage bar which can be used to send a feedback energy back to enemies dealing massive damage. Parrying normally takes lesser damage but parrying a split second just before the attack hit you takes no damage at all + more rage + recover DT gauge faster.

Don't be surprise when veterans say Royal guard is actually a offensive style.

Yoshichan

bigswords said:
Yeah I know I'm getting old, weird thing is I can play console FPS on the hardest difficulty level. But these kind of combo games, damn my fingers :(
That's fine man, don't worry :D

EDIT: How are you handling EX with Nero?

EDIT 2: RG IS an offensive stance :lol

Yoshichan

bigswords said:
Ahh thanks for the info. I'll try out RG stance when I have the chance.
Practice on Berial. When you think you're ready, try mastering it in Bloody Palace. Good luck, devil hunter!

Yoshichan

Mamesj said:
Still waiting on that PC demo Capcom! C'mon, make me double dip.
120fps!

biggkidd32 said:
It's very hard to tell the difference between 60 and 120. At least for me.

The benefit with 120 frames is that if and when there is a dip, you won't be able to notice as drastically as if lets say there was a dip from 60 fps to something lower. In-between dips cause tearing, as most know.

Ifrit

Didn't want to bump this thread, but now that it already is, I wanted to say that I just finished S-Ranking DMD mode, had lots of fun doing it, It's really the mode this game was meant to be played, the enemies are merciless and you start learning how good the combat and the bosses really are, I'd recommend anyone to try this mode (I'm starting Hell or Hell mode, not as hard as DMD IMO, specially since I don't have to worry about ranking). This is the first game that I've played, where getting all the achievements is fun and challenging, even though I've heard crackdown and CoD4 are good in this, but I haven't played them.... yet.

And bloody palace rocks:D

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ifrit said:
Didn't want to bump this thread, but now that it already is, I wanted to say that I just finished S-Ranking DMD mode, had lots of fun doing it, It's really the mode this game was meant to be played, the enemies are merciless and you start learning how good the combat and the bosses really are, I'd recommend anyone to try this mode (I'm starting Hell or Hell mode, not as hard as DMD IMO, specially since I don't have to worry about ranking). This is the first game that I've played, where getting all the achievements is fun and challenging, even though I've heard crackdown and CoD4 are good in this, but I haven't played them.... yet.

I'm really itching to start DMD, as I've already S-Ranked DH and SoS, but a certain game which ships today is prevaling me from doing so. I'll probably get to it eventually however.

Ifrit said:

Hell or Hell is pretty good for training yourself if nothing else, but DMD is absolutely the mode it's meant to be played in. Son of Sparda should have been the default difficulty in my opinion, but DMD is the first one where I genuinely needed to pay close attention while playing.

Ifrit

Ermac said:
I'm really itching to start DMD, as I've already S-Ranked DH and SoS, but a certain game which ships today is prevaling me from doing so. I'll probably get to it eventually however.

Yeah I know, I'm trying to finish all DMC4 before THAT game comes along, but I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks before I get a chance to play it (I'm ordering it online and I'm not from the US), DMD is a blast to play, you think Berial is going to be as easy as the previous difficulties but he is going to own you (it happened to me) and you're going to learn to hate the frosts, assaults and basilisks (which makes it pretty rewarding when you kick their asses), this game really doesn't deserve the hate it gets

Draft said:
:lol ok, I figured there was something I was missing. I'm like this dude's in the action elite but he's getting his fix with God of War?
I know what you mean, man. I played the first one, and I'm never going back.

Top Bottom